Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 349590 times)

Filip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #3300 on: September 22, 2022, 03:35:17 PM »
As a recent born Venture guy after 18-19 years of Thunders (one set of Theeves im between, back when they first came out), I just want to keep this thread going, so sorry if Im rambling.

Anyway, a quick update on my 6.1s that I posted about earlier. I skated them for the third time today. They were already broken in from the cruiser, but no grinding.

Today was the day that it all clicked. No more ghost pop, I figured out how to sync my legs with them, and its perfect. I absolutely love the turn, with stock bushings, no need to change.

I deliberately went to the park with chunky ledges to break them in and grind the shit out of them get at least a little bit of grooves. Grinding still feels a little strange, mostly due to not having the crook grooves, which I had down to the axle on my old Thunders, but at least I got something. Also, there is a little more resistance, but the grinds somehow feel a little more satisfying. I cant really explain it.

And last but not least, they look cool as shit, super vintage next to Thunders, haha.

Bob Loblaw

• Rep: 10
« Reply #3301 on: September 23, 2022, 11:55:25 AM »
I'm skating standard 149 Indy's and 5.8 V-Lights on two different 8.25 set ups. The lighter trucks are throwing me off, and I miss the feeling of the heavier truck inertia.
Has anyone skated the standard Ventures and V-Lights? Do the standard ones feel "off" or too clunky?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3302 on: September 24, 2022, 10:11:40 AM »
I'm skating standard 149 Indy's and 5.8 V-Lights on two different 8.25 set ups. The lighter trucks are throwing me off, and I miss the feeling of the heavier truck inertia.
Has anyone skated the standard Ventures and V-Lights? Do the standard ones feel "off" or too clunky?
skated standards, lights, and hollows
hollows are preferred since i dont skate anything sub 8.75
8.25 with cast 5.8s probably have a similar feel in weight
but i might be talking out of my ass
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

huggernaut

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #3303 on: September 25, 2022, 02:55:20 PM »
Are the measurements on tactics just totally jacked?  Venture site also doesn’t seem to show axle height.

What are the typical axle heights for ventures?

I‘m looking at 5.8 or 6.1, not sure if I want v hollow or regular—is the only difference the baseplate in terms of height? 

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 42
« Reply #3304 on: September 25, 2022, 03:25:17 PM »
the cast ventures hi are 53.5 and the forged are prolly ~52mm.

I think the forged ones have a slightly longer wheelbase to compensate for the lower height

Cast are the way to go imo

Sucks if you want a lighter cast venture you have to get two sets of trucks and swap the hangers

huggernaut

« Reply #3305 on: September 25, 2022, 04:00:38 PM »

I think the forged ones have a slightly longer wheelbase to compensate for the lower height

Sucks if you want a lighter cast venture you have to get two sets of trucks and swap the hangers

Okay, thanks, that’s what I thought.

This chart with the 54.7 seemed odd to me.

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 42
« Reply #3306 on: September 26, 2022, 06:20:02 PM »
Yeah that doesn't seem right. Unless they're doing it like thunders, where different sizes have different heights. As far as I know all the hi's are 53.5mm high, maybe someone whose got some on hand can confirm

huggernaut

« Reply #3307 on: September 26, 2022, 06:32:42 PM »
Yeah that doesn't seem right. Unless they're doing it like thunders, where different sizes have different heights. As far as I know all the hi's are 53.5mm high, maybe someone whose got some on hand can confirm

I’ve got a pair is the team legion hi (forged plates) in the mail (sick sale from skate warehouse, $26 for the pair).

Can measure when they come in this week.

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #3308 on: September 27, 2022, 12:36:22 AM »

im running my 5.6 hollow hanger on a set of cast plates that i had lying around from an old set of 5.2's right now as i wanted to bring my wheelbase back in a little and get that extra couple mm in height. I know its backwards having cast plates/solid kingpins with a hollow hanger but I didn't have standard 5.6 hangers so here we are and tbh I've been loving it. grinds feel a lot better on the cast plates even with the hollow axle and the extra weight under the bolts helps the board rise up with more energy to your feet.

I feel like I've got a lot of my pop back on this combo.

such a shame they don't make a 'team v-light or hollow'.

skated venture for 20+ years now and this would be the dream.

always looked at the team thunders with envy but cant shake that skaterat loyalty i gave to the big V when i was a kid.ha

fwiw info above is correct.
forged = 52mm
cast = 53.5mm

"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3309 on: September 27, 2022, 08:44:03 AM »
It sounds like you have the solution….you can just keep running those baseplates going forward.  You won…

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #3310 on: September 27, 2022, 10:40:27 AM »
anyone ever get a baseplate (cast) that's uneven - meaning it mounts at an angle? something always felt off on the board i had it on and i kept eating shit. thought i had a mis-drilled board but it's looking like it was this baseplate all along maybe?
i can tell something is up because the mount holes are warped more on the uneven baseplate compared to the other i had on the same deck, esp for how long i had it set up/how much i skated it

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3311 on: September 27, 2022, 07:14:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

im running my 5.6 hollow hanger on a set of cast plates that i had lying around from an old set of 5.2's right now as i wanted to bring my wheelbase back in a little and get that extra couple mm in height. I know its backwards having cast plates/solid kingpins with a hollow hanger but I didn't have standard 5.6 hangers so here we are and tbh I've been loving it. grinds feel a lot better on the cast plates even with the hollow axle and the extra weight under the bolts helps the board rise up with more energy to your feet.

always looked at the team thunders with envy but cant shake that skaterat loyalty i gave to the big V when i was a kid.ha

forged = 52mm
cast = 53.5mm

I'll add:

5.0 / 5.2 Lo - 48.3mm
Ben Degros mentions they are 48.3mm when he rode them with forged & cast baseplates so I don't know anymore.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

nitro89

« Reply #3312 on: September 28, 2022, 12:24:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

forged = 52mm
cast = 53.5mm

[close]

I'll add:

5.0 / 5.2 Lo - 48.3mm
Ben Degros mentions they are 48.3mm when he rode them with forged & cast baseplates so I don't know anymore.

yea forgot to mention thats just for the highs, its the hanger on the lows that make the difference (less axle clearance).
from what i can see looking around online all lows are 48mm whether they've got forged or cast plates. whereas on the highs there's 2 different heights 52mm and 53.5mm.

has anyone ever asked venture themselves?

"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3313 on: September 28, 2022, 12:47:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

forged = 52mm
cast = 53.5mm

[close]

I'll add:

5.0 / 5.2 Lo - 48.3mm
[close]

yea forgot to mention thats just for the highs, its the hanger on the lows that make the difference (less axle clearance).
from what i can see looking around online all lows are 48mm whether they've got forged or cast plates. whereas on the highs there's 2 different heights 52mm and 53.5mm.

Fine I'll DM them like a man.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

nitro89

« Reply #3314 on: September 28, 2022, 02:08:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

forged = 52mm
cast = 53.5mm

[close]

I'll add:

5.0 / 5.2 Lo - 48.3mm
[close]

[close]

111 pages in and someone has finally made the move for the answer that should of been on page 1.haha
#powermoves

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3315 on: September 28, 2022, 05:46:28 PM »

I don't think I have ever seen a forged baseplate on a low Venture.

Sure they are listed on the web site, and I have plenty of old skinny low Venture hangers, which all came with normal cast plates, but I cannot think of one single time I have ever seen that combination.

Forged plates on 5.6 and 5.8 are fairly common and I have had a few sets of those come through my hands.

I also wonder when looking at that combination how many people would or even could ride a truck that low.

Any takers for that, or anyone actually have a set?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #3316 on: September 28, 2022, 08:14:05 PM »

Sure they are listed on the web site, and I have plenty of old skinny low Venture hangers, which all came with normal cast plates, but I cannot think of one single time I have ever seen that combination.

Forged plates on 5.6 and 5.8 are fairly common and I have had a few sets of those come through my hands.

I also wonder when looking at that combination how many people would or even could ride a truck that low.

i have forged on a set of 5.0L's (frankensteined) on an 8. i don't ride them super loose & that's not my main set up so i haven't been on it in a minute but from memory -

pros: pinch is incredible, height doesn't really feel much different, hollow kp
cons: wheel bite

honestly though it doesn't feel so much different than normal lows other than the slight weight difference, but it's mostly flatground on that thing.

curious about others though, because yeah when i look at it i laugh and go "it's SO low"

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3317 on: September 28, 2022, 10:05:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i have forged on a set of 5.0L's (frankensteined) on an 8. i don't ride them super loose & that's not my main set up so i haven't been on it in a minute but from memory -

pros: pinch is incredible, height doesn't really feel much different, hollow kp
cons: wheel bite

honestly though it doesn't feel so much different than normal lows other than the slight weight difference, but it's mostly flatground on that thing.

curious about others though, because yeah when i look at it i laugh and go "it's SO low"

As per a couple of smaller boards I set up for kids with these old / vintage Venture low trucks, they definitely had small wheels on them and worked well for their size, quite proportionate actually.

Didn't really try much on them, but for a 7.5 wide board, those trucks, sub 50mm wheels they were a tech dream back in the day, I would imagine.

nitro89

« Reply #3318 on: September 29, 2022, 12:16:08 AM »

heres some: https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/venture-v-hollow-lights-all-polished-low-5-2-truck-silver-8_p127416?eav=792&cPath=44&brand_id=98

ive never seen them out in the wild but then again i don't go around inspecting decks a whole lot when im out for a session.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #3319 on: September 30, 2022, 03:16:48 AM »
Just back on Ventures, hollows... that hefty snap is so good. The Loose Kit-Bushings are crazy loose, but I like it. Twitchy (!), turny, but not that much wheelbite so far (little worn down 54mm wheels).

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3320 on: September 30, 2022, 03:22:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

heres some: https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/venture-v-hollow-lights-all-polished-low-5-2-truck-silver-8_p127416?eav=792&cPath=44&brand_id=98

ive never seen them out in the wild but then again i don't go around inspecting decks a whole lot when im out for a session.

Thanks!

It still looks funny to me, but that's ok.

I know some other things I am used to like standard Indy trucks look way too tall to other people I know.

All down to personal perspectives.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3321 on: September 30, 2022, 04:17:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

forged = 52mm
cast = 53.5mm

[close]

I'll add:

5.0 / 5.2 Lo - 48.3mm
[close]

[close]

[close]

111 pages in and someone has finally made the move for the answer that should of been on page 1.haha
#powermoves

From the horse's mouth:
Venture heights

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82mm
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #3322 on: September 30, 2022, 07:22:35 PM »
Would gnar if I could. Top notch investigating.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3323 on: September 30, 2022, 09:30:51 PM »
I recommend a pivot cup upgrade if you run the lowering kit no threads and you don't go through trucks fast.

I take trucks to axle because an old truck it a foot truck. I even will run old plates new hangers sometimes.

I will be just throwing the hollow king plates back on with a second set of 3 ply risers

I need to buy grip soon. I chipped my board practicing switch flips.

These slips are too grippy. I keep doing those ugly veez that people think is a trick.

It's a failed v that's all. I don't care anything anyone says about it. You can't fool me

Also kickflip body = sex not disco.

Disco is heelz. I been correcting that shit on the gram too
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3324 on: October 01, 2022, 12:38:04 AM »

Explains why I love the grind on 5.2 Lo Forged, 2nd to none pinch.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #3325 on: October 01, 2022, 06:53:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Explains why I love the grind on 5.2 Lo Forged, 2nd to none pinch.

I like my 5.2 lo’s for nostalgic reasons, and they just feel like trucks are supposed to feel, for me.

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 111
« Reply #3326 on: October 03, 2022, 03:08:26 PM »
I just swapped back to ace from venture and I gotta ask. How tf yall kickflip with ventures? Mine were constantly rocket and looking like dogshit even with smaller wheelbase decks. Tre flips and other tricks felt good or better on venture than ace/indy but I can't kickflip. It felt like I had to relearn how to do them every session. I just couldn't level them out consistently. Shit was just driving me crazy so I just set my aces up and have no problem now. Anyone else struggle with certain tricks on venture? How'd you make it work?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3327 on: October 03, 2022, 03:32:52 PM »
for those who swear by running ventures with larger wbs
how is the experience? what shapes are you riding?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #3328 on: October 03, 2022, 04:07:51 PM »
Kickflips were never more consistent when I had my 6.1s setup with a magenta 8.75 which had a 14.75 wheelbase, 32.5 long I think. Was a pretty mellow deck, classic bbs shape. Very stable, a bit of a chore when i didn’t have the legs, especially for rotational tricks, but kickflips and heelflips were easy, like strangely effortless.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3329 on: October 03, 2022, 07:23:37 PM »
I just swapped back to ace from venture and I gotta ask. How tf yall kickflip with ventures? Mine were constantly rocket and looking like dogshit even with smaller wheelbase decks. Tre flips and other tricks felt good or better on venture than ace/indy but I can't kickflip. It felt like I had to relearn how to do them every session. I just couldn't level them out consistently. Shit was just driving me crazy so I just set my aces up and have no problem now. Anyone else struggle with certain tricks on venture? How'd you make it work?

I adjust my front foot position depending on the trucks I'm riding. Ace / ML - wider stance with my front foot just over the front bolts, resulting in a faster but lower kickflip. Thunder / Venture - narrower stance and I can put my front foot almost in the middle of my board, slow drag and delayed flick for more height.

For Venture especially I have to focus on getting a solid snap off my tail since they pop heavy.

for those who swear by running ventures with larger wbs
how is the experience? what shapes are you riding?

How long is long for WB? I used to swear by 14.125" or less on forged baseplates and 14.25" max on cast baseplates but I've been on a Santa Cruz 14.38" with forged baseplates and I've really loving the combination. More deck length (32.25") and tapered kicks are very helpful.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m