Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 356103 times)

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #3810 on: January 13, 2023, 07:23:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Will ace bushings fit my ventures hi?

I got a pair of the forged hollow and been trying to make them work for me but it really pissed me off how stiff and unresponsive they feel (coming from ace).

I love skating flatground with them but I mainly skate transition, slappys, wallies, and those feel terrible at the moment...
[close]

They’re too big but on a related note I’ve been running a cut down Ace top bushing with a flat washer and stock bottoms for a while now and shit is magical.
[close]

ace low bushings and a flat washer is a great setup. the top was still a little tall but i didn't feel the need to cut it down. everyone's cut bushing i've seen came out really inconsistent and looked pretty terrible.

Oh for sure, mine are totally mangled but it’s working for me. Doesn’t seem to affect performance. I will definitely try the Ace low bushings whenever these need to be replaced.

oliknight

« Reply #3811 on: January 16, 2023, 01:25:21 PM »
(I am happily making my way through this full thread so sorry if this has been talked about)

Does anyone else skate their 5.2 lo’s on an 8.25?
I’ve skated lo’s since I was a kid and I love them but I wanted a wider set up and with two washers on the inside of the trucks to push the wheels out, the setup feels lovely!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 01:33:41 PM by oliknight »

lildonut92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #3812 on: January 18, 2023, 06:23:04 PM »
So I stepped on a friends board today, 8.06 x 31.5 x 14wb with 5.2 lows. Damn it felt so stable and snappy. Turning wasn’t as bad as I’ve heard people say.

As someone who is accustomed to Indy forged hollows, I see myself making the switch. I’ve just always associated venture lows with tech lords and that’s not my thing. I feel like I would just enjoy pushing around more and be comfortable enough to try new things. My bad knee does feel a little more sore than usual but maybe it would just take some adjustment. I’m also a shrimp so maybe that’s why the pop feels more immediate and snappy.

Either way I’m pleasantly surprised.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #3813 on: January 19, 2023, 01:33:25 AM »
So I stepped on a friends board today, 8.06 x 31.5 x 14wb with 5.2 lows. Damn it felt so stable and snappy. Turning wasn’t as bad as I’ve heard people say.

As someone who is accustomed to Indy forged hollows, I see myself making the switch. I’ve just always associated venture lows with tech lords and that’s not my thing. I feel like I would just enjoy pushing around more and be comfortable enough to try new things. My bad knee does feel a little more sore than usual but maybe it would just take some adjustment. I’m also a shrimp so maybe that’s why the pop feels more immediate and snappy.

It's not just tech lord's. Yuto skates 5.2 lows and rips everything
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3814 on: January 19, 2023, 06:14:17 AM »
Thunder 147 are almost a Venture low height and hella people skate those.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #3815 on: January 19, 2023, 06:29:06 AM »

I get this. I prefer the turn and carve of Indy and Ace trucks, but I’ve been on the Venture 5.0 Lows - just some super cheap one Zumiez had on closeout for $15/pair, and they’re great, especially for street skating. They kind psyche me out skating my local bowl, but honestly anyone could get used to them with enough time.

Good pop, flick and grind, and they work great on an 8.18” Primitive deck with a 14” wheelbase.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 09:21:33 AM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #3816 on: January 20, 2023, 03:41:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's not just tech lord's. Yuto skates 5.2 lows and rips everything

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cnfgv58MlLZ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Transition with lows.. AMAZING.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #3817 on: January 20, 2023, 04:53:28 AM »
Doesn't Westgate ride lows?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #3818 on: January 20, 2023, 07:05:04 AM »

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #3819 on: January 21, 2023, 12:09:54 AM »
Are the lows better for you when you are small or not ?

IpathCats

« Reply #3820 on: January 21, 2023, 05:35:01 AM »
Are the lows better for you when you are small or not ?

It's all preference, but generally speaking it is rare to see tall people on low trucks. At least from my experiences.

And most of the people I know that still skate lows are shorter than average

lildonut92

« Reply #3821 on: January 21, 2023, 06:21:44 AM »
This is just my experience. I’m short as hell. With Indys, even forged hollows, I feel too high off the ground. So it feels awkward to Ollie up onto anything like ledges and sidewalks. When I get up on a ledge, I just feel so weird being that tall on something. I also whiff a couple of ollies here and there. Lots of ghost pop for me. It’s also easier to pop a trick higher than I can catch it. But I love the way they grind and carve. I don’t want to be low truck guy but whatever.

After trying venture lows, they just felt right. I wasn’t having to put as much energy into my pop. I just felt much more secure overall. Everything felt a little bit easier. I’m also curious about trying some Thunder 147’s since I know they are kind of in the middle. At the end of the day, it’s all perspective. I could see why tall people wouldn’t right low trucks. Obviously there are short dudes who ride really high trucks and get insane pop. To each their own.

IpathCats

« Reply #3822 on: January 21, 2023, 06:28:00 AM »
This is just my experience. I’m short as hell. With Indys, even forged hollows, I feel too high off the ground. So it feels awkward to Ollie up onto anything like ledges and sidewalks. When I get up on a ledge, I just feel so weird being that tall on something. I also whiff a couple of ollies here and there. Lots of ghost pop for me. It’s also easier to pop a trick higher than I can catch it. But I love the way they grind and carve. I don’t want to be low truck guy but whatever.

After trying venture lows, they just felt right. I wasn’t having to put as much energy into my pop. I just felt much more secure overall. Everything felt a little bit easier. I’m also curious about trying some Thunder 147’s since I know they are kind of in the middle. At the end of the day, it’s all perspective. I could see why tall people wouldn’t right low trucks. Obviously there are short dudes who ride really high trucks and get insane pop. To each their own.

Ace lows and forged Indy mids might be worth checking out if you want a low truck that turns well.

I think the height/truck combo really comes down to your legs. Longer legs cover more space when compressing/decompressing, so naturally a truck height that would accommodate this distance would be ideal. There are exceptions to everything of course. Pretty sure janoski skates venture lows and he's a pretty tall guy. And back in the day, everyone was on lows for a time.

lildonut92

« Reply #3823 on: January 21, 2023, 06:50:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ace lows and forged Indy mids might be worth checking out if you want a low truck that turns well.

I think the height/truck combo really comes down to your legs. Longer legs cover more space when compressing/decompressing, so naturally a truck height that would accommodate this distance would be ideal. There are exceptions to everything of course. Pretty sure janoski skates venture lows and he's a pretty tall guy. And back in the day, everyone was on lows for a time.

Indy mids are definitely in consideration. I have no experience with ikp’s and I’ve read some posts about people having issues with them. But definitely interested.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #3824 on: January 21, 2023, 07:23:33 AM »
I’ve skated thunders, ace lo’s, and mindy’s, and I’d say it’s a toss up between mindys and thunders.  So far so good w. the IKP, they are definitely heavier though.  The pop isn’t as good as ventures but the wheelbase makes more sense and I won’t whiff when my board is razor’d….147 is a great truck too though, easily accessible.  Part of me thinks if you care about low trucks you might as well just get them.  That said, I’ve never skated a venture lo.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3825 on: January 21, 2023, 09:33:14 AM »
Seems worth a share here.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3826 on: January 22, 2023, 02:06:06 AM »
How do venture lo‘s grind?
You feel a difference to other trucks?
A difference compared to venture v hollows?
Are smith grinds different with them?

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 456
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3827 on: January 22, 2023, 05:37:55 AM »
I’ve done some of my best skating on Venture lows. At the time I was riding 7.6 decks with Venture lo 5.0. They felt light and would grind just fine. Smiths were different though, couldn’t dip them as deep as the highs. Once the kingpin nut got worn down they were good to go.

IpathCats

« Reply #3828 on: January 22, 2023, 06:37:39 AM »

Ventures probably grind the worst out of the big 4.

The lows have much less kp clearance than the regular height.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3829 on: January 22, 2023, 06:55:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't know about Smith grinds, but as far as the regular grind goes, aren't Ventures made from identical material to Thunders? They are produced in the same factory, it seems unlikely that they formulate two different aluminum alloys for the trucks, but who knows. Thunders aren't known to grind poorly and my Ventures grind concrete as well as my Ace, but not as well as Indy.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3830 on: January 22, 2023, 07:27:44 AM »
I find ventures grind much worse than thunders and Indy’s…..you mainly notice it on angle iron….

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #3831 on: January 22, 2023, 07:29:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don't know about Smith grinds, but as far as the regular grind goes, aren't Ventures made from identical material to Thunders? They are produced in the same factory, it seems unlikely that they formulate two different aluminum alloys for the trucks, but who knows. Thunders aren't known to grind poorly and my Ventures grind concrete as well as my Ace, but not as well as Indy.

It really doesn't make sense that they're NOT the same, but it sure feels like it. I often skate a sharp angle iron ledge and on thunders the edge really digs into the hanger, eating it away. On ventures it's a much harder different feeling and there's barely any marks on the hanger

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3832 on: January 22, 2023, 07:37:59 AM »
I agree ventures are harder thus grind worse…..Venture denies it…..

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3833 on: January 22, 2023, 10:23:54 AM »
Seems worth a share here.

Daddy Ben has let the madness tak him full force! Setting up something like this is the equivalent of buying a porsche when you’re 55…I kid…I always have ‘tech’ board setup for when the mood strikes. 8.125x147x51mm

Skating it this weekend actually.

It seriously looks like he’s been enjoying doing the Slappy low impact game because of his knee and now he wants to get back into tech ledge work.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 04:22:09 PM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3834 on: January 22, 2023, 11:30:32 AM »
 Nick Matthews is back on his Venture lo from recent photos and he back smiths pretty fucking fine I'd say.

I'm actually considering low trucks. I've been on Thunder cast for a while and did have a brief affair with Indy mids with some bad IKP luck. I've actually considered mid hangers, forged hollow plates, ace low bushings and shave the kingpin down. But that sounds like a lotta work

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3835 on: January 22, 2023, 11:41:08 AM »
Nick Matthews is back on his Venture lo from recent photos and he back smiths pretty fucking fine I'd say.

I'm actually considering low trucks. I've been on Thunder cast for a while and did have a brief affair with Indy mids with some bad IKP luck. I've actually considered mid hangers, forged hollow plates, ace low bushings and shave the kingpin down. But that sounds like a lotta work

I for sure prefer low(er) trucks, 52mm or below...tons of options thunders, ML, ACE Low, Indy forged mids, they feel more comfortable to me...it's the wheelbite that gets me as I don't like tight trucks.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #3836 on: January 22, 2023, 11:45:53 AM »
Are 53 mm wheels ok with venture lo‘s?
Just bought some spitfires in that size, but now I like to try the lo trucks

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3837 on: January 22, 2023, 11:49:52 AM »
53mm should be good! I’ve ridden 55mm with low’s before and didn’t have any issues

oliknight

« Reply #3838 on: January 22, 2023, 11:57:51 AM »

People say you can’t skate anything over 51 and I think that’s nonsense. I know he doesn’t skate ventures but look at someone like Daewon and the way his trucks are, wheelbite is inevitable no matter what, I think it’s good for you to have a higher risk of it because it makes you a better skater and makes you more aware of landing straight and stuff.

I do miss a time where I didn’t know the size of anything I was skating, I just put stuff on and skated it, if it didn’t work it was just tough shit haha

Ignorance was bliss 😂

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #3839 on: January 22, 2023, 12:40:42 PM »
Thanks, I’ll just throw the 53 mm‘s on them.
I mean I have them anyway now