Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 355957 times)

Schinken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 66
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #3900 on: February 02, 2023, 05:01:12 AM »
Does anyone else have problems with durability of venture bushings? A few days ago I've got myself some 5.8 Ventures with those purple bushings. The front top bushing start to split /crumble after the first session. Maybe the stock bushings can't handle temperatures around freezing?

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #3901 on: February 02, 2023, 09:11:12 AM »
Does anyone else have problems with durability of venture bushings? A few days ago I've got myself some 5.8 Ventures with those purple bushings. The front top bushing start to split /crumble after the first session. Maybe the stock bushings can't handle temperatures around freezing?

My venture soft bushings also crumbled in the european winter temperatures after some month of me barely (!) skating them. So... I don't think they are made for that.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #3902 on: February 02, 2023, 10:39:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My venture soft bushings also crumbled in the european winter temperatures after some month of me barely (!) skating them. So... I don't think they are made for that.

the bushings from element trucks are soft, don’t freeze up, don’t really blow out and fit ventures perfectly. my stock purples blew out quick too but these element bushings i’ve had since at least july and they are holding up well and turn really nice.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3903 on: February 02, 2023, 12:18:21 PM »
The Venture hanger has the worst top bushing pinch of any brand. Most people eventually crumble them but cold accelerates that.

richard00800

• Rep: 14
« Reply #3904 on: February 02, 2023, 09:28:31 PM »

even in summer, same problem, swap them with indy 90a bushings and bones flat washers on top. never had the problem again.  indy 90a are a little bit firmer than venture stock, 88~90a I would recommend for the same feeling.
if you max out the turning, stock top washer would chew out the top bushing, so I think flat top washers are important.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3905 on: February 02, 2023, 09:48:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

even in summer, same problem, swap them with indy 90a bushings and bones flat washers on top. never had the problem again.  indy 90a are a little bit firmer than venture stock, 88~90a I would recommend for the same feeling.
if you max out the turning, stock top washer would chew out the top bushing, so I think flat top washers are important.

i back this. indy parts bait and tackle and the lowering kit. stock purple bushings are like 1/5 crack up. truck still worked but you know. it bothered me. a pal saved the day once sending extra purps my way once. evan smith i think.

once you find a good set of purps its best to hang on to them for a few trucks. i got 4 out of one set. now im on the lowering kit im straight. the best winter bushing for sure. couldcut the cracked purp and get the same effect
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3906 on: February 04, 2023, 07:13:39 AM »
Has anyone rode the loose conversion bushings in their ventures yet that could share how they are? Do they make the turn any better than the standard purples? More surfy? Do you ride them with the flat top washer or the standard one? Any info on how they are would be appreciated...thanks!

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #3907 on: February 04, 2023, 07:22:46 AM »
If you leave the nut flush, there’s no resistance at all when you lean over. If you tighten it down a few threads, you can dial it in just where you like it.

Standard Venture washer works if you want a little more firmness at the end, but use a flat one to open it up completely and/or if the washer hitting the hanger bothers you.

I’ve ridden them on both Lo and Hi.

blahblah999

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3908 on: February 04, 2023, 10:23:42 AM »
I bought a set of Venture 6.1s and put them on a 9'' football/egg shaped board with taper. Stock bushings were too soft for me so I put some Dimebag Hardware (sold by TGM) hard bushings in the trucks. Can't comment on long-term durability yet but they do fit the trucks easily with both washers. These bushings are cheap enough that you can try out multiple duros and mix and match them if you want.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3909 on: February 04, 2023, 03:45:01 PM »
Has anyone rode the loose conversion bushings in their ventures yet that could share how they are? Do they make the turn any better than the standard purples? More surfy? Do you ride them with the flat top washer or the standard one? Any info on how they are would be appreciated...thanks!

Way more surfy. In freezing weather its hella fun. Very loose. More similar to ace but stable still.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

jsettle

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3910 on: February 04, 2023, 04:42:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Way more surfy. In freezing weather its hella fun. Very loose. More similar to ace but stable still.

I was hoping for that! Appreciate the info

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3911 on: February 04, 2023, 05:13:05 PM »

I got some and passed them around for everyone to try who wanted to.

Most people said they were way too loose, but that was to be expected when they only tighten the nut to just past flush.

Compared to any other bushing, the easiest way to explain to anyone without actually getting a set is to take off the metal washers and only just have the kingpin nut on whatever truck you are riding with stock 90 bushings and that is pretty close to how they feel.

As a normal 90 duro bushing with a low head they are great if your trucks have worn down to axle or you have angle grinded / naturally grinded your kingpin down too far to get the normal set up bushings on, so when you tighten them down a couple of turns, they are still nice and loose but sit way lower in the top area.  You then have a lot more room to loosen them off if you need to as well, which was the intended purpose.

I could definitely see how this would be an advantage in really cold climates where other bushings would freeze up and trucks just would not turn too!!!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3912 on: February 04, 2023, 06:24:56 PM »
Other things to do to get a better turn: switch out the pivot cup, drop the top washer, conical bushings…

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #3913 on: February 09, 2023, 08:25:18 AM »
Well I tried the 5.2 high v lights.. I must say that I have a prefence for the standards!

The trucks are really set back, wheelbase much larger than the raws, so a harder pop to control, especially for someone short like me .. yet I'm on a board with 14 wheelbase, but as I said pop is harder to control.. the board goes up much faster, I can't imagine that on a 14.25 or bigger..

No height difference, I measured both trucks next to each other.. and the weight difference is not significant..

I think lights and hollow are better on lows, but not highs! At least, that's my personal experience!

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #3914 on: February 09, 2023, 09:15:45 AM »
Expand Quote
does anyone make cone shaped bushings that are the venture translucent purple? Or does the loose truck conversion kit come in purple?

I'm not enjoying my break in period on the stock bushings, but i want to keep that classic venture look
[close]

Just take your roadside bushing and just sand the bottom side of it with old griptape. Pretty much venture conversion kit for free.

since this post, I did shave down to barrels on grip and replaced the top and bottom washers with thinner flat ones. This has given me more play and better response.

wish someone made coned bushing in a venture clear purple. I feel like that'd give me more swerve

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #3915 on: February 09, 2023, 10:21:40 AM »
Back on Ventures (5.6 hollow) full time after many years on Indy and Ace. Should be good to run 54s with no risers right? I skate them stock and am assuming the washer will engage with the hanger before bite.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #3916 on: February 09, 2023, 10:41:52 AM »
Well I tried the 5.2 high v lights.. I must say that I have a prefence for the standards!

The trucks are really set back, wheelbase much larger than the raws, so a harder pop to control, especially for someone short like me .. yet I'm on a board with 14 wheelbase, but as I said pop is harder to control.. the board goes up much faster, I can't imagine that on a 14.25 or bigger..

No height difference, I measured both trucks next to each other.. and the weight difference is not significant..

I think lights and hollow are better on lows, but not highs! At least, that's my personal experience!

there is definitely a height difference between cast and forged. I found the pop feel between cast and forged to be pretty similar since the wheelbase with forged is slightly longer which makes the tail feel shorter. if your kicks are super mellow, than I suppose you would get a quicker pop on forged plates

I agree that the v lights are not significantly lighter than standards which is why when people Frankensteined their trucks before the v cast hollows came out, people tended to use Ti hangers or the v hollow hangers.

SupremePizza

• Rep: 44
« Reply #3917 on: February 09, 2023, 11:23:14 AM »

I've been running the shorter top bushing for a few months and I did find them more surfy/twitchy while still stable. While I like them more than stock there's been a few times where I wish I could get a bit more turn out of them if that makes sense. I have them a turn looser than nut flush and was thinking of trying the supercush bushings in the bottom

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #3918 on: February 09, 2023, 12:12:07 PM »
Back on Ventures (5.6 hollow) full time after many years on Indy and Ace. Should be good to run 54s with no risers right? I skate them stock and am assuming the washer will engage with the hanger before bite.

I’d guess yes (I keep it 53 and below, but I’m about to set up my 5.2 HI’s/forged baseplates with 54, classics).

Welcome back to cool looking trucks and better pop.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #3919 on: February 09, 2023, 11:39:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

there is definitely a height difference between cast and forged. I found the pop feel between cast and forged to be pretty similar since the wheelbase with forged is slightly longer which makes the tail feel shorter. if your kicks are super mellow, than I suppose you would get a quicker pop on forged plates

I agree that the v lights are not significantly lighter than standards which is why when people Frankensteined their trucks before the v cast hollows came out, people tended to use Ti hangers or the v hollow hangers.

Yes ! ;) and as I said, on V lights I have a lot of trouble with pop and timing! The board goes too high and some tricks I have to lift my legs very high ! Like I said, maybe because I'm small and I have small legs haha

And I don't know.. the feel of the ventures raws is so.. unique, I like to feel my board and a soft pop.. And I think to myself, maybe all these v lights/Hollows are finally just crap marketing .. 20 years ago nobody thought about the weight of trucks ..Well I skate 8.00, so I don't necessarily have the heaviest board..  ;D

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3920 on: February 09, 2023, 11:42:48 PM »
Do you feel any difference with smiths on lo‘s?
Only concern I have.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 02:00:11 AM by SlapMcKracken »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3921 on: February 10, 2023, 02:24:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’d guess yes (I keep it 53 and below, but I’m about to set up my 5.2 HI’s/forged baseplates with 54, classics).

cant recommend wheels any bigger than 56 with forged plates
the turn to wheelbite ratio gets a lot worse with bigger rims
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #3922 on: February 10, 2023, 03:37:46 AM »
https://www.elementbrand.com/raw-skateboard-trucks-821301146279.html#cgid=skate_accessories_trucks&start=8&hitcount=8

the tiny element trucks are $15 which is pretty cheap considering that bushings are like $10 usually? if anyone likes very loose trucks then i definitely recommend trying those bushings on ventures. you can put the 4.75 trucks on a freestyle board on something but it's really worth it for the bushings alone, i never thought ventures could be this surfy
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #3923 on: February 10, 2023, 06:49:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
cant recommend wheels any bigger than 56 with forged plates
the turn to wheelbite ratio gets a lot worse with bigger rims

Thanks both. Right now I'm not trying to go over 54mm, been feeling a lower setup for sure.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3924 on: February 10, 2023, 11:14:57 AM »
54 should be fine……even if you wheelbite, it’s an angle where you don’t get pitched…..

If the turn isn’t to your liking, ditch the top washer, switch to conical, softer bushings, change out the pivot cups.. in all it’s not a bad turning radius.  It’s a comfortable truck once you get it to your liking…

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #3925 on: February 10, 2023, 11:48:58 AM »
Had a quick lunch break session and no bite. Also swapped the bushings for some old green supercush, which somehow feel softer and more responsive than stock. Very into being able to rock wide 54s on a 52mm truck.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 306
« Reply #3926 on: February 10, 2023, 04:03:28 PM »
I setup a really flat 8.38/14.25/31.9 deck on some Venture 5.8s and 52mm wheels. Had been skating forged Indy 149s before, but I think Ventures suit my skating better.

The stability while still being able to ride loose is great for me. I just put a Bones flat washer on top, and even skating in 32-40° weather they turn totally fine even in a small park.

They yield a much better pop and pinch than Indy's for me. I think I'm going to stick with these 5.8s for a few decks.

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #3927 on: February 11, 2023, 09:38:12 PM »
hope v-cast 5.6 polished come out. I could frankenstein the 5.8 teds with some 5.6 v-hollow axles but then I’m buying 2 trucks.

jsettle

« Reply #3928 on: February 12, 2023, 04:51:10 AM »
 Are the v-hollows and v-lights the same height as standard venture hi (53.5)? Specifically the 5.6 and 5.8. tactics sizing says yes but on one of ben degros videos he was saying v hollows are a bit lower. Not sure which one is true or if that was just at that point in time he made that video. Thanks yall!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3929 on: February 12, 2023, 05:22:39 AM »
Are the v-hollows and v-lights the same height as standard venture hi (53.5)? Specifically the 5.6 and 5.8. tactics sizing says yes but on one of ben degros videos he was saying v hollows are a bit lower. Not sure which one is true or if that was just at that point in time he made that video. Thanks yall!

First question = no.

The four styles are here (pic below from the Venture site) so anything with regular plates / standard are 53.5mm in height right through from 5.0 to 6.1, anything with forged plates are 52mm in height right through from 5.0 to 6.1 as well, unless you are talking about the smaller width lo versions.

Checking the pic again, the first "team editions" truck is the only one at normal 53.5mm height, the others in either V Light or V Hollow (or V ti) are lower at 52mm on the forged baseplates.

All hangers are normal height, or hi (unless they are marked as lo) with the only reason some are shown as hi, just to make sure they don't confuse the smaller sizes.

They only make lo in 5.0 and 5.2 which is where some confusion comes in.  The baseplates are the same, just the hanger is different.

* Sorry I sort of made a mess of that, but hopefully it all makes sense, basic height info below now too.

Venture (regular / hi hangers)

Team editions - 53.5mm
V-Light - 52mm
V-Hollow - 52mm
V-ti axle - 52mm

https://venturetrucks.net/

« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 05:37:40 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.