Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 354286 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4080 on: March 02, 2023, 04:58:52 PM »
I think 2020 was the year when everyone started questioning their values (trucks)…….

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -295
« Reply #4081 on: March 02, 2023, 05:23:20 PM »
would also accept 'Venture March 18, 2019' as a thread title

You’re right this part is 100% what awoke me and made me start paying attention to Venture.

I just saw an opportunity to make a silly joke and posted it.

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4082 on: March 04, 2023, 12:10:29 PM »
Anyone know what Nick Matthews rides?
Seems like he rides lo’s in his footage. Just a guess but his board seems low, and a smaller gap between the wheels and deck which makes me think he possibly rides venture lo’s.

sadnocomply

• Rep: 122
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #4083 on: March 04, 2023, 12:16:41 PM »
Seems like he rides lo’s in his footage. Just a guess but his board seems low, and a smaller gap between the wheels and deck which makes me think he possibly rides venture lo’s.
they look like lows to me also in his recent footy. Some ppl messaged him and he said 5.6 a few months back but they look like 5.2 lo’s to me and others

Mick

• Rep: 25
« Reply #4084 on: March 04, 2023, 03:48:26 PM »
8.06" Deck
5.2 Lows
52mm Spits

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #4085 on: March 04, 2023, 05:32:39 PM »
Well that makes perfect sense…..

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4086 on: March 04, 2023, 05:44:12 PM »
Someone messaged him and he said lows, I messaged him and he said highs (and you could see in a bit of his footage) but it's obviously lows.

Also he has a lot of footage with the red F4 classics, which are 51 and with the green, which are 52, as well.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #4087 on: March 04, 2023, 06:24:51 PM »
Venture low riders is there any way to make the trucks turn just a teeeeny bit more, or bite a little bit less and be more forgiving when you land off center?

I'm getting used to it and its manageable, but coming from indy 149s if I can make them just a little bit less rigid I'd be hyped. Running stock bushings. Forged plates too which probably doesn't help. Already waxed wheelbite bits

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #4088 on: March 04, 2023, 07:52:59 PM »
Venture low riders is there any way to make the trucks turn just a teeeeny bit more, or bite a little bit less and be more forgiving when you land off center?

I'm getting used to it and its manageable, but coming from indy 149s if I can make them just a little bit less rigid I'd be hyped. Running stock bushings. Forged plates too which probably doesn't help. Already waxed wheelbite bits
Cast plates or small risers would help quite a bit.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
« Reply #4089 on: March 04, 2023, 09:15:08 PM »

What size wheels are you riding? I put in work on some venture hollows lows a couple years back and had the same problem. I ended up throwing on some really worn down radial slims (didn't measure but they felt like 47 or 48mm ish) and using a bones flat washer up top. Still didn't turn quite as well as I liked, but it was definitely an improvement over stock and I even got a couple flip tricks back.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1108
« Reply #4090 on: March 04, 2023, 10:03:25 PM »
I think the best solutions have been mentioned.

For me, 52 is about the limit with lo’s, and that’s using a cast plate. I’ve waxed wheel wells, tightened trucks, both help. Bones washer and smaller wheels gets a pretty good turn. I was actually surprised with how good of a turn, provided the wheels were small (50 and down).
For me, the way the board pops is worth it. And I’m also chasing the past, or something. Rough roads in a rainy environment (harsh pavement), have me trying setups with bigger wheels, but I always come back to the lo’s (or thunder 147s, which are just slightly taller). Walking to the spot isn’t so bad.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #4091 on: March 05, 2023, 01:32:09 AM »
Thanks everybody. Probably gonna just throw on some cast plates once I get some and get used to it. A little jarring sometimes but really not that bad if you expect it

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #4092 on: March 05, 2023, 04:52:55 AM »
You could make homemade wheel wells with a dremmel?

blahblah999

« Reply #4093 on: March 05, 2023, 10:03:26 AM »

What are the hardness of the stock bushings? How much do you weigh? Ventures aren't going to feel like Indys no matter what you do. BTW those low type Ventures have a design that goes back to the era of sub-50mm wheels.

FGO925

« Reply #4094 on: March 05, 2023, 10:47:10 AM »
v-hollow lows are truly fun as hell.
8.1 board on the 5.2’s, and so easy to flip. It’s funny that these are truly the lowest trucks available right now, being the forged plates and all. Turning is indeed terrible, yet actually exceeded my expectations just slightly. You really need to rock these pretty tight

I have some old spitfires on that have probably worn from 53 down to ~48mm, and I actually feel like I would prefer bigger wheels. I wish I could find some 51mm f4 classics.

Still feels like a small toy compared to my usual setups.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #4095 on: March 05, 2023, 02:21:05 PM »

they usually look pretty gross. try standing over each wheel, one at a time, and rubbing out your own wheel wells. i'll just ride around in circles, one foot over the wheel well/bite i'm working in, a little wax every now and then helps. your wheels look like shit but they wear back to normal quick.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #4096 on: March 05, 2023, 05:53:38 PM »
8.1 board on the 5.2’s, and so easy to flip. It’s funny that these are truly the lowest trucks available right now, being the forged plates and all. Turning is indeed terrible, yet actually exceeded my expectations just slightly. You really need to rock these pretty tight

I have some old spitfires on that have probably worn from 53 down to ~48mm, and I actually feel like I would prefer bigger wheels. I wish I could find some 51mm f4 classics.

the drop has them but they're charging for shipping now

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #4097 on: March 05, 2023, 07:10:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That’s true mine looked terrible lol.
I was riding 52s on my lows with stock bushings stock tightness and they weren’t bad

they usually look pretty gross. try standing over each wheel, one at a time, and rubbing out your own wheel wells. i'll just ride around in circles, one foot over the wheel well/bite i'm working in, a little wax every now and then helps. your wheels look like shit but they wear back to normal quick.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4098 on: March 05, 2023, 07:51:05 PM »

https://mainlandskateandsurf.com/products/spitfire-f4-99-classic-51mm-wheels

https://aptskateshop.com/products/spitfire-wheels-formula-4-classic-51mm-101a

https://www.303boards.com/products/spitfire-99-formula-4-camo-classic-wheels-51mm

https://anchorsskateshop.com/products/spitfire-formula-four-classic-camo-red-wheels-51mm-99d

oliknight

« Reply #4099 on: March 06, 2023, 01:27:08 PM »
I’ve skated venture my whole life and that’s not going to change even after trying out most other trucks but I was wondering if anyone noticed that venture trucks seem to feel slower? Like the wheels spin fine but when actually skating they feel slow, how is this even possible?

Does it have anything to do with lightness of hollows?

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #4100 on: March 06, 2023, 04:23:58 PM »
I just went from 5.8 V Lights to 5.8 Cast Hollows and they feel fine. Not sure if its in my head or not but I feel I skate better on these cast hollows.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #4101 on: March 06, 2023, 05:54:48 PM »
I’ve skated venture my whole life and that’s not going to change even after trying out most other trucks but I was wondering if anyone noticed that venture trucks seem to feel slower? Like the wheels spin fine but when actually skating they feel slow, how is this even possible?

Does it have anything to do with lightness of hollows?

it's the axle wings, they slow you down. j/k
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 06:20:55 PM by BL0B »

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 113
« Reply #4102 on: March 07, 2023, 06:27:04 AM »
If anyone has a set redrilled venture baseplates they are willing to part with let me know. I've been swapping between ace and venture until setting up some old Indys that feel just right. I was wondering if perhaps some redrilled venture plates would make the wheelbase closer to an Indy. Seems like dlx would sell a replacement shorter wheelbase baseplate if so many people want to transition from Indy and some of their riders are apparently already riding some.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1108
« Reply #4103 on: March 07, 2023, 07:07:23 AM »
If anyone has a set redrilled venture baseplates they are willing to part with let me know. I've been swapping between ace and venture until setting up some old Indys that feel just right. I was wondering if perhaps some redrilled venture plates would make the wheelbase closer to an Indy. Seems like dlx would sell a replacement shorter wheelbase baseplate if so many people want to transition from Indy and some of their riders are apparently already riding some.

Koston wuddup

Spaced Cadet

« Reply #4104 on: March 07, 2023, 10:24:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Koston wuddup

Gimme your trucks NOW!!!!!!!!

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4105 on: March 07, 2023, 10:28:14 AM »

for those who care to try it themselves, there's this tool you can use to modify your wheelbase

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4106 on: March 07, 2023, 06:05:42 PM »

It is back in there somewhere, but I tried an older six hole baseplate just to see what it was like, using the other holes and just mounting two bolts and the difference was huge, given it is 3/8" on each truck if you do that method, you are bringing in the wheelbase 3/4" in total if you do both trucks, so just the back one was still plenty on the test board for me.

I would put that in the "special pro privileges" category, so although some of the guys who ride Venture get theirs pre drilled, people have said, I don't think anyone else can get their hands on them, so would have to drill out their own baseplates, which in turn makes it easier to drill in a board just for starters.

Overall it takes Venture from the longest wheelbase to the shortest wheelbase with even just doing one truck / the back truck, so doing both it comes in almost too much, but if you get used to it and enjoy it there, then I could see it being worthwhile to drill out the baseplates, more so than doing every deck you ride on regular plates.

That's my thinking anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Spaced Cadet

« Reply #4107 on: March 07, 2023, 08:21:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It is back in there somewhere, but I tried an older six hole baseplate just to see what it was like, using the other holes and just mounting two bolts and the difference was huge, given it is 3/8" on each truck if you do that method, you are bringing in the wheelbase 3/4" in total if you do both trucks, so just the back one was still plenty on the test board for me.

I would put that in the "special pro privileges" category, so although some of the guys who ride Venture get theirs pre drilled, people have said, I don't think anyone else can get their hands on them, so would have to drill out their own baseplates, which in turn makes it easier to drill in a board just for starters.

Overall it takes Venture from the longest wheelbase to the shortest wheelbase with even just doing one truck / the back truck, so doing both it comes in almost too much, but if you get used to it and enjoy it there, then I could see it being worthwhile to drill out the baseplates, more so than doing every deck you ride on regular plates.

That's my thinking anyway.

Well obviously I'll just go pro then. Wish me luck.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #4108 on: March 08, 2023, 07:44:17 AM »
I got some 6.1 V Hollows and they came with yellow bushings.  All the V Hollows I saw in the shop had purple bushings (didn't buy those b/c they didn't have the 6.1s I was after).  I'm guessing these are the same durometer as all the others, just a different color right?

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4109 on: March 08, 2023, 08:06:51 AM »
I got some 6.1 V Hollows and they came with yellow bushings.  All the V Hollows I saw in the shop had purple bushings (didn't buy those b/c they didn't have the 6.1s I was after).  I'm guessing these are the same durometer as all the others, just a different color right?
the stock durometer is the same in all sizes and that goes for all truck brands. people may have different experiences though but there are many factors that could change your perception like weather, bushings being fully broken in, how tight/loose you ride, etc