Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 353970 times)

downtodevin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4110 on: March 08, 2023, 08:23:01 AM »
My madness is killing me and I’m thinking about setting up an 8 inch with 5.2 Lo’s. I’ve been on AF1 44s for a while and want something completely different. Any advice for a smaller setup with the low trucks? Thanks!

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4111 on: March 08, 2023, 09:16:21 AM »
My madness is killing me and I’m thinking about setting up an 8 inch with 5.2 Lo’s. I’ve been on AF1 44s for a while and want something completely different. Any advice for a smaller setup with the low trucks? Thanks!
Venture 5.2 Lo's will be a fun experiment and are well loved by many of the posters in this thread. Thunder 147's are great and they are low trucks sitting at 50mm.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #4112 on: March 08, 2023, 10:24:20 AM »
I skated my first session with My Ventures raws 5.25 High and my Baker 8.125.. PERFECT COMBO !!  :-* A real pleasure to ride, trucks a little smaller than the board, but so responsive and I feel like all the tricks come easier ! My madness is over ..  :D ;D

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #4113 on: March 08, 2023, 11:40:54 AM »
I got some 6.1 V Hollows and they came with yellow bushings.  All the V Hollows I saw in the shop had purple bushings (didn't buy those b/c they didn't have the 6.1s I was after).  I'm guessing these are the same durometer as all the others, just a different color right?

always

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #4114 on: March 09, 2023, 02:37:36 PM »
Venture hollow lights (high) with 8.25 Alien Deck, 54 mm wheels for the first time today.

It was different. Pop feel really different. Heelflips still consistent, but often a bit more rocket than usual for example.

I skated a new knee-high (for smaller people thigh high) ledge today with that setup and realized that it’s really different. Pizza Deck before on those trucks and I had flips to mannie every try.
With the AWS I didn’t make it up the ledge the first four times and just didn’t get why. I then tried to pop like crazy and finally had a clean one.

I also was super tired after the session today; but maybe it was just one of those days. Had them before of course too.

I guess I will get used to it, right?

But I’ll ride a new complete soon anyways. 8“ AWS , Venuture lo lights, and I need to get wheels. 51mm? 52mm? What would you get? Got 53 mm spitfires here, but are they too big? Then I would just keep them for a future setup

Is the 8“ Alien deck just as steep? I think the tail is a good amount shorter than of the 8.25.
you think 8“ AWS goes good with Venture lo‘s?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 02:48:29 PM by SlapMcKracken »

Radim

• Rep: 12
« Reply #4115 on: March 10, 2023, 09:13:38 AM »
I will skate as long Ventures will be produced.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 09:22:42 AM by Radim »
Fountain of Youth since 1995. Thank you Skateboarding!

Creature 8.0 - Venture 5.2 - F4 52/99a

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #4116 on: March 10, 2023, 09:40:44 AM »

FWIW I made this exact switch and hated it.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

downtodevin

« Reply #4117 on: March 10, 2023, 10:01:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Anything specific you hated about it? Or just overall not good?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #4118 on: March 10, 2023, 12:30:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I skate different setups, one has af-1 44s, another 5.2 lo’s.
I think the first thing I notice is that the ace trucks turn a lot more, and can use a much larger wheel. As far as how that ‘helps’ my skating? I probably land more shit on the ventures, I like the pop better on the ventures (I’ve whined about this a bunch, I have a hard time with the pop on ace, may have figured it out a little better last night: move the popping foot closer to the truck, with ace. I’m an idiot.)
Anyways, for me, both are fun.
Caveat: I really like ventures. I want to like them, and I do. So I always make room for them. Not for everyone this

downtodevin

« Reply #4119 on: March 10, 2023, 02:02:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I skate different setups, one has af-1 44s, another 5.2 lo’s.
I think the first thing I notice is that the ace trucks turn a lot more, and can use a much larger wheel. As far as how that ‘helps’ my skating? I probably land more shit on the ventures, I like the pop better on the ventures (I’ve whined about this a bunch, I have a hard time with the pop on ace, may have figured it out a little better last night: move the popping foot closer to the truck, with ace. I’m an idiot.)
Anyways, for me, both are fun.
Caveat: I really like ventures. I want to like them, and I do. So I always make room for them. Not for everyone this

Yeah I love my Aces and they turn great but I want more stability. That’s why I want to try the Lows. I think I’ll be able to land stuff more consistently with them. Or maybe I just suck and they won’t help.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4120 on: March 11, 2023, 06:53:08 AM »
I’ll prolly get back on 5.6’s or even 5.2 hi’s…..5.6’s were the most flippable truck for me.  I’ve skated 8.25 trucks for awhile now, I sized up because I felt finding boards less than that were hard to find but now it feels like 8.125’s and 8’s are more common than 5-6 years ago….I’m on Mindys now and they feel great, ie. lower, wheelbase proper, grind well….but a lot of the components don’t actually help me, I just like the idea of them…..

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4121 on: March 11, 2023, 11:13:30 AM »
Anyone else ride ventures with steep concave like  FA decks? It’s not my main setup but I think I’ve seen people say they prefer more flat mellow concaves on ventures, yet this has been super fun to ride.

oliknight

« Reply #4122 on: March 11, 2023, 11:36:29 AM »
Anyone else ride ventures with steep concave like  FA decks? It’s not my main setup but I think I’ve seen people say they prefer more flat mellow concaves on ventures, yet this has been super fun to ride.

I skated 5.2 lows on an 8.18 hockey deck and it was amazing for flatground!

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #4123 on: March 11, 2023, 02:47:13 PM »
6.1 riders what’s your go to deck ?
I haven’t spent much time on Ventures but
I just picked got some (6.1’s). I’m looking at some 8.5-8.75 Alien and Quasi decks. Also the Metal egg 9.0 and Quasi egg with the 13.75 wheelbase look fun. Steep or mellow with Ventures?   

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #4124 on: March 11, 2023, 03:00:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I skated 5.2 lows on an 8.18 hockey deck and it was amazing for flatground!

big nose on lows is my fav combo

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #4125 on: March 11, 2023, 05:53:27 PM »

Skated high ventures on Fa and alien and it was great.

Soon; alien and Venture lo lights. Hope it works with the lo‘s that good too

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #4126 on: March 11, 2023, 06:00:14 PM »
I really really hated FA on ventures back when I had that combo. That being said, steep kicks are just not my thing in general so your mileage may vary

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #4127 on: March 11, 2023, 08:04:33 PM »

I've ridden ventures highs on numerous workshops.  I think they pair great.  Serious nollie power.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1927
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4128 on: March 11, 2023, 09:24:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've ridden ventures highs on numerous workshops.  I think they pair great.  Serious nollie power.

Best Nollies in my life with Ventures and long nose AWS / Habitat decks
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #4129 on: March 12, 2023, 04:20:49 AM »
I just picked got some (6.1’s). I’m looking at some 8.5-8.75 Alien and Quasi decks. Also the Metal egg 9.0 and Quasi egg with the 13.75 wheelbase look fun. Steep or mellow with Ventures?

AWS 8.75 and 6.1s is a great feeling setup imo. Not particularly mellow, but it might be the generous tail that balances it out really well.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #4130 on: March 12, 2023, 05:05:37 AM »
I really really hated FA on ventures back when I had that combo. That being said, steep kicks are just not my thing in general so your mileage may vary

FA/Hockey 8.25 might be my fav decks to pair up with the venture 5.6 v-hollows I ride… I love the 14.12wb on them and the steep concave makes me feel like I got powered up pop.

@DeepSpace9mm I got some 6.1 v-hollows in my “slappy set-up” and I really like them paired with this Heroin “shovel egg” deck with a <14wb. It’s such a fun chubby set-up that I’ve been riding it as my main lately.
But yeah, I think if you don’t go over 14.25wb you should be alright.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #4131 on: March 12, 2023, 06:43:25 AM »
I can understand it as Ventures shorten/steepen the nose a bit and unless the nose has some length to it, it's whiff city..... I think if you like those boards, the trucks will be fine, personally I'd prefer them on something mellower (BBS) but that's just how I like boards.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #4132 on: March 12, 2023, 08:06:27 AM »
Experiences with lo ventures and AWS decks?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #4133 on: March 12, 2023, 08:10:50 AM »
Experiences with lo ventures and AWS decks?

Dunno why, but your request sounds so horny to me

Venture lo’s and AWS were the kit. Pops are his zenith…so many others.
The beginning of the setup thread is just 7.75s and lo’s are shit.
I remember reading something where dill and Ave both swore by the 7.75, 5.0 lo, and like 53 ish wheels (so you know those trucks were cranked).

I haven’t done it in recent times. AWS or habitat isn’t usually at the shop, and the current versions, although totally fine, don’t get pull me in, like say a quasi, or a strangelove would

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #4134 on: March 12, 2023, 08:40:09 AM »

WKND 8.875" football shape with 13.75”wb.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4135 on: March 13, 2023, 05:13:06 AM »
anything from 8.5 - 9.25ish should work
without hiccups as long as the wheelbase doesnt pass 14.25
seen people run them up to 14.5wb but its hefty pop
might give it another try myself to maybe change the narrative

steep vs mellow depends on you. i had good times on both
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #4136 on: March 13, 2023, 03:48:50 PM »
Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I’m excited to try out these 6.1’s when I can.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4137 on: March 13, 2023, 04:11:42 PM »
Wouldn't redrilling change how the truck feels while turning in manual?

Especially since I'd definitely only drill one using a 6 hole plate then the 69 method.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4138 on: March 13, 2023, 08:04:53 PM »

Especially since I'd definitely only drill one using a 6 hole plate then the 69 method.

Are you referring to the way Koston and others do this with their Venture trucks?

If so, then yes.

Completely.

I think the easiest way to explain how it felt is like this - it is like going from having a brick on the front of your board with normal Ventures, which give it the heavy lift feeling when compared to other truck brands, especially Indy or Ace, to having zero weight on the front of the board at all, so it is almost too light compared to everything else, so completely opposite extremes with the difference in where the truck sits on the average board with average wheelbase and holes drilled with normal fingers of flat.

Not that hard to get used to if you stuck with it and skated those same trucks on the same longer wheelbase board, but I guess for those people who do drill their Venture baseplates in the alternate hole pattern, each truck being now 3/8" less so a total of 3/4" for both trucks, that is some serious difference you feel on any board, taking even a 14.75" wb down to even 14" if you wanted to.

I only tried it on an 8.38 with steep kicks and 14.5 wb which was a board I would not have skated normally on my Indy 149 trucks, and it worked really well on Venture 5.8s in the short wheelbase option.  To note the normal wheelbase option on the Venture trucks was terrible for me, but that was just one example and as said, I come from riding Indy trucks normally.

What I would recommend before drilling out the trucks is drilling in the wheelbase on an old board first, just to feel it out.  That is a whole lot easier and gives you a chance to get a feel for it, without maybe making a mess of the baseplates, or realising that it just doesn't work for you.

I did just the tail end initially which made it much more normal all round, as someone else had done to make it more even in the kicks too, but doing both is worth it, just to experience it even once.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4139 on: March 13, 2023, 09:03:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Are you referring to the way Koston and others do this with their Venture trucks?

If so, then yes.

Completely.

I think the easiest way to explain how it felt is like this - it is like going from having a brick on the front of your board with normal Ventures, which give it the heavy lift feeling when compared to other truck brands, especially Indy or Ace, to having zero weight on the front of the board at all, so it is almost too light compared to everything else, so completely opposite extremes with the difference in where the truck sits on the average board with average wheelbase and holes drilled with normal fingers of flat.

Not that hard to get used to if you stuck with it and skated those same trucks on the same longer wheelbase board, but I guess for those people who do drill their Venture baseplates in the alternate hole pattern, each truck being now 3/8" less so a total of 3/4" for both trucks, that is some serious difference you feel on any board, taking even a 14.75" wb down to even 14" if you wanted to.

I only tried it on an 8.38 with steep kicks and 14.5 wb which was a board I would not have skated normally on my Indy 149 trucks, and it worked really well on Venture 5.8s in the short wheelbase option.  To note the normal wheelbase option on the Venture trucks was terrible for me, but that was just one example and as said, I come from riding Indy trucks normally.

What I would recommend before drilling out the trucks is drilling in the wheelbase on an old board first, just to feel it out.  That is a whole lot easier and gives you a chance to get a feel for it, without maybe making a mess of the baseplates, or realising that it just doesn't work for you.

I did just the tail end initially which made it much more normal all round, as someone else had done to make it more even in the kicks too, but doing both is worth it, just to experience it even once.

Word thanks. I'd definitely redrill my board way before doing my trucks.

My trucks are perfect. Probably going to have to go back to my old purps when the weather warms up tho.

Im going to cop a new truck this summer for my side board. Maybe mags idk. They need a 9" truck.
I'm sick of waxing shit. Gives me tendinitis. If there no sink around to wash my hands after I'm bummed.

I wanna feel what they are like on pool coping too. Hopefully they turn good. I had a trash find with og tensors. They didn't turn at all. Manny forever but forget carving.
Then I had a set of aloys or whatever on my brothers like almost complete. Broken immediately.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)