Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 349378 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4170 on: March 23, 2023, 12:24:25 PM »
Anyone run bones hard in hi’s loose?  That’s my strategy….5.2’s on an 8.125….

Flippable…yes…poppable….yes….carveable….sure….

Loose trucks that don’t turn, hard bushings but conical, with some overhang/leverage and I weigh nothing….

This seems like it’ll work…

This will work.
Haven’t in HI’s, but it was the recipe for a bit with lo’s.
I say this a lot, but an ollie on ventures, for me, is what I do like. The flat top washer that doesn’t bind, also gets you more turn. Debatable if that’s a good thing.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4171 on: March 23, 2023, 02:30:56 PM »

Loose trucks that don’t turn, hard bushings but conical, with some overhang/leverage and I weigh nothing….

I did this ages ago but with ACE 03 (8" lows) + Bones hards; I can't tell you why it worked, but it did. I skated so well on that setup (real 8.125 low pro and ricta chrome cores)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4172 on: March 23, 2023, 10:02:28 PM »
I’ve come to the conclusion based on Ace lo’s and mindys…I’m actually not crazy about low trucks although I like thunders…..

I’ll get forged hi’s…they are the only truck I can nollie heel on….

I love to nollie….I’ve mentioned this before but I learned about pockets late in skating and these trucks accentuate this…you just jam your foot in the pocket and push forward….whiffing can suck but I swear I get more lift off a venture whiff than popping on some trucks. 

I’ll miss grinding but I’ll just wax them and I realized I mainly just blast off mellow banks at skateparks…

burner

• Rep: 86
« Reply #4173 on: March 24, 2023, 09:02:23 AM »

Yeah, that’s the ticket, I run bones hard on Venture hi. I have the nut flush w the kingpin, idk if that’s loose, but works for me, super stable but can still carve.

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4174 on: March 24, 2023, 02:34:53 PM »
I just got my 5.8 V-Lights in the mail, but I have one question. This is my first time riding Ventures, are they supposed to have different colored nuts? On one truck the nuts are a raw/silver and the other truck has like a goldish color. Is this normal? Thanks!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4175 on: March 24, 2023, 04:09:06 PM »
I just got my 5.8 V-Lights in the mail, but I have one question. This is my first time riding Ventures, are they supposed to have different colored nuts? On one truck the nuts are a raw/silver and the other truck has like a goldish color. Is this normal? Thanks!

Not normal I'd say but probably fine. Check the stickers on the bottom of the plates to make sure the stickers match. Axle and Kingpin? Washers the same?

downtodevin

« Reply #4176 on: March 24, 2023, 05:08:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not normal I'd say but probably fine. Check the stickers on the bottom of the plates to make sure the stickers match. Axle and Kingpin? Washers the same?

Here is what it looks like.

downtodevin

« Reply #4177 on: March 24, 2023, 05:29:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

During some shortages, some things were a bit hit and miss, as well as the specialty versions all having gold nuts before changing to the plain silver, but that shouldn't be an issue for the dates on those DLX stickers.

Maybe some sets were gold and some sets were silver in that run, which has been mixed up in the shop, or someone has swapped them out from another set.

Either way, it is fine to skate but it would bug me to no end, with a lot of people swapping out gold nuts for silver before they even set them up in some shops I have seen.

Yeah it’s probably gonna drive me nuts. But I’ll likely just throw the gold ones up front and they can differentiate the nose and tail.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4178 on: March 24, 2023, 05:32:23 PM »

During some shortages, some things were a bit hit and miss, as well as the specialty versions all having gold nuts before changing to the plain silver, but that shouldn't be an issue for the dates on those DLX stickers, even though they are clearly different runs - one run from April and one from July 2021.

Maybe they used gold nuts in the one run and others were silver in that other run, with the trucks then being mixed up in the shop between different deliveries of stock, or someone has swapped them out from another set.

Either way, it is fine to skate but it would bug me to no end, with a lot of people swapping out gold nuts for silver before they even set them up in some shops I have seen.

It is probably not worth it but I would send those pics to the shop and ask them if their remaining stock was also mixed, then maybe get the other set too, or get something returned / replaced, but that is the extreme OCD end of the scale.

*  Sorry, went back and rewrote the post.  I am a bit scattered sometimes and just type what comes to mind.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4179 on: March 24, 2023, 05:49:16 PM »
I always have spare axel nuts around because I deserve it.....and excessive primo'ing...

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4180 on: March 24, 2023, 07:59:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

During some shortages, some things were a bit hit and miss, as well as the specialty versions all having gold nuts before changing to the plain silver, but that shouldn't be an issue for the dates on those DLX stickers.

Maybe some sets were gold and some sets were silver in that run, which has been mixed up in the shop, or someone has swapped them out from another set.

[close]

Yeah it’s probably gonna drive me nuts. But I’ll likely just throw the gold ones up front and they can differentiate the nose and tail.

The stickers indicate they are from different production batches 07/12/2021 & 4/21/2021 and shops usually dump all of them in a box instead of bundling them together. So they probably just grabbed the first pair and shipped them.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4181 on: March 24, 2023, 08:31:26 PM »
I always have spare axel nuts around because I deserve it.....and excessive primo'ing...

I usually throw some in my cart(s) to round up to free shipping; once you have a wheel or KP nut fall off, you get paranoid.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4182 on: March 24, 2023, 10:25:02 PM »
I just get annoyed when they don’t fit my skate tool well and with my no rattle obsessiveness, I tighten my axel nuts all the time…..so I don’t actually deserve them…

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4183 on: March 29, 2023, 05:25:16 PM »
Spent a week (with a toooon of skating) on Royals (with 92a Indy blues), then setup some new V-Cast Hollow (Kader) ventures (stock) for comparison (same board/wheels).

I then swapped out the stock ventures bushings for the Indy blues.

They felt damn near identical but with royals having a slightly quicker turn at the beginning (tighter WB), and the Venture grind feeling better (harder/louder/smoother vs. rougher/muffled. Pretty clear what inspired the new royals, that's for sure...even looking at them you see how close they are.

Otherwise, even with the 1.5mm height difference I didn't feel like I swapped trucks at all. I did, however, go back to the stock black venture bushings to get them broken in and feel how they compare to the indy blues.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4184 on: March 29, 2023, 06:24:01 PM »
met one of the melodi dudes who runs ventures all around
but was ripping the bowl with 5.6 casts
paired an antihero 8.38 (14.5) and 60mm conical fulls

said he usually skates gaps and rails but uses the same setup
they work with whatever if you dont overthink it
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #4185 on: March 29, 2023, 06:33:34 PM »
met one of the melodi dudes who runs ventures all around
but was ripping the bowl with 5.6 casts
paired an antihero 8.38 (14.5) and 60mm conical fulls

said he usually skates gaps and rails but uses the same setup
they work with whatever if you dont overthink it

This dude? If so he's ripping a tanky ass setup

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CbQVvbgpOzX/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #4186 on: March 30, 2023, 10:38:04 AM »
anybody ever experience this before? my kingpin like hyper extended somehow

these are 5.2 lo's, idk wtf just happened. the nut was flush with the washer and then i heard a noise after landing and this is the end result. kingpin is super loose and wiggly now

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4187 on: March 30, 2023, 11:15:17 AM »
I actually like the way Ventures grind BETTER on crooked grinds / nose grinds because it feels like there is a little more resistance. i can sit on top of it the way i like and it doesnt feel squirrley like I am going to slide out. i think i could say the same for 5-0s too.
ONTARIO CANADA

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
« Reply #4188 on: March 30, 2023, 11:35:54 AM »

these are 5.2 lo's, idk wtf just happened. the nut was flush with the washer and then i heard a noise after landing and this is the end result. kingpin is super loose and wiggly now

That's a crazy one, hit up the DLX warranty and they'll most likely help you out with a new set

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 116
« Reply #4189 on: March 30, 2023, 12:22:43 PM »

I would have to assume this is a broken kingpin and only the bushings are holding the top of that bad boy in right now. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4190 on: March 30, 2023, 12:49:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I would have to assume this is a broken kingpin and only the bushings are holding the top of that bad boy in right now. 

Yeah man, disassemble and check that shit before you get broke off.

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4191 on: March 30, 2023, 01:53:13 PM »
yeah after i took it apart it ended up being broke, ne ver seen one break like that before.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4192 on: March 30, 2023, 02:09:42 PM »
Where was it broken? base area? higher up?

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4193 on: March 30, 2023, 03:37:13 PM »

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • ow
« Reply #4194 on: March 30, 2023, 04:34:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Def holler at DLX, they'll get you taken care of with a new set
https://www.dlxsf.com/warranty/

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4195 on: March 30, 2023, 05:40:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

a broken kingpin counts as a defect? i've had them for about a year now and skated the shit out of them. you sure? 

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • ow
« Reply #4196 on: March 30, 2023, 05:55:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

a broken kingpin counts as a defect? i've had them for about a year now and skated the shit out of them. you sure?
Most likely, seen people on here in the past with similar issues & they got it straightened out with the warranty dept. - worth a shot. Let us know how it goes

BL0B

• Rep: 412
« Reply #4197 on: March 30, 2023, 11:22:35 PM »
was it just hanging on by the splines? crazy!

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #4198 on: March 31, 2023, 01:54:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Most likely, seen people on here in the past with similar issues & they got it straightened out with the warranty dept. - worth a shot. Let us know how it goes
Come on, man... it is just a broken kingpin after a solid ride, it is lame to complain and want something from dlx. Just buy a new kingpin and everything is fine :)

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #4199 on: March 31, 2023, 03:57:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
Come on, man... it is just a broken kingpin after a solid ride, it is lame to complain and want something from dlx. Just buy a new kingpin and everything is fine :)
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate