Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 355551 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4200 on: March 31, 2023, 04:06:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Where was it broken? base area? higher up?
[close]

[close]

[close]

a broken kingpin counts as a defect? i've had them for about a year now and skated the shit out of them. you sure?
[close]
Most likely, seen people on here in the past with similar issues & they got it straightened out with the warranty dept. - worth a shot. Let us know how it goes
[close]
Come on, man... it is just a broken kingpin after a solid ride, it is lame to complain and want something from dlx. Just buy a new kingpin and everything is fine :)
[close]

Broken kingpins do not count as a warranty.

People have tried in the past to get something, but almost always, except if the truck is still within 30 days or whatever legal warranty per country, there is no warranty against breakage like that as it comes under general use.

If the baseplate broke in two, hanger broke off, axle broke, etc that is covered under warranty, but only for a specified period of time.

Best thing to do is sit the broken kingpin in the truck baseplate and hammer the remainder of the kingpin out, then try to fit a new one, or if you are lucky enough to have a local shop that has parts and someone who knows what they are doing, they can usually do it for you.

Failing that, maybe think about getting a new set of trucks and keep the other parts as spares, or until you can find someone with tools to get the old kingpin out and put a new one in.

Edit:

Getting a kingpin out is in itself a pain in the ass, but getting a new one in is even harder, so I usually grind or file down the "teeth" in the new kingpin a bit to help it go in more easily and use the old butt of the broken kingpin as a hammer pin between the new kingpin and the hammer / mallet or whatever you are hitting it with.

If you have access to a press, I will say no more, as it will make it very easy, but for everyone else, using the old broken kingpin parts is the best way to help get the rest of it out and get the new one in.  Sitting the baseplate on something or up against a curb or parking block is also good, preferrably something with a hole in it to help the kingpin come out.  Then sitting the baseplate on two bits of wood while you try to get the new kingpin in.

Any other dramas with it and I can help with more info.  I have had to change out a lot of broken kingpins over the years, some very difficult, some not so difficult to remove and replace.

Pretty much any kingpin will work, not just a low kingpin, but if the new one sits up too high you can use an angle grinder to take the top off once the nut is on or even a rough curb or something to grind it down if you have no tools at all once it is on the board.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 04:14:35 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 674
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4201 on: March 31, 2023, 08:29:52 AM »
I haven't changed a kingpin since the early 2000s. I remember it not being fun. I did what you said though. I used the old kingpin and a hammer to hammer in the new one. i just put the truck into a vise.  I just bought a grade 2 bolt from the hardware store down the street, it broke hella fast. need at least grade 8 on that shit if you want it to last. i havent broken one since! I used to skate in really cold temperatures, and i think the ones i broke were on Grind King and Destructo's. I actually broke the entire axle off of the Grind Kings.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 985
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4202 on: March 31, 2023, 08:37:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Where was it broken? base area? higher up?
[close]

[close]
Def holler at DLX, they'll get you taken care of with a new set
https://www.dlxsf.com/warranty/
[close]

a broken kingpin counts as a defect? i've had them for about a year now and skated the shit out of them. you sure?
[close]
Most likely, seen people on here in the past with similar issues & they got it straightened out with the warranty dept. - worth a shot. Let us know how it goes
[close]
Come on, man... it is just a broken kingpin after a solid ride, it is lame to complain and want something from dlx. Just buy a new kingpin and everything is fine :)
[close]

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #4203 on: March 31, 2023, 10:18:21 AM »

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4204 on: March 31, 2023, 10:29:11 AM »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 674
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4205 on: March 31, 2023, 10:32:14 AM »
oh hell yeah bro

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4206 on: March 31, 2023, 03:35:19 PM »
Man.... I gotta say I feel like that's taking advantage of the good-hearted nature of dlx...those trucks were well skated, worn and over a year old....

That's like buying 55mm wheels, skating them down to 49mm and claiming a no flat spot warranty.

Shame.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4207 on: March 31, 2023, 04:12:14 PM »
I actually like the way Ventures grind BETTER on crooked grinds / nose grinds because it feels like there is a little more resistance. i can sit on top of it the way i like and it doesnt feel squirrley like I am going to slide out. i think i could say the same for 5-0s too.

i like back 50s and back 5oh.

i like the pop out i get from venture. Thunder has it too. its fast and loud sometimes. venture is the best sounding grind on rough granite. i like ace classic better than indy
But venture is the best.
i been riding the slappy truck a little. shit is so sick. when i finish PT im going to ride only that truck for a while. see how long they hold up.

i got like 4 new curb tricks. gonna get better and film some lines. im going to try and build up the ice chest too. get a pair of 6.1s 5.6s. get some new 58mm spits when they hit
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 07:14:42 PM by Uncle Flea »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4208 on: March 31, 2023, 06:02:28 PM »
I actually like the way Ventures grind BETTER on crooked grinds / nose grinds because it feels like there is a little more resistance. i can sit on top of it the way i like and it doesnt feel squirrley like I am going to slide out. i think i could say the same for 5-0s too.

After skating Slappy to Royal to Venture, I too, prefer the way Ventures feel in krooks...I actually don't find them harder to grind (same with royals honestly_ -  I think that's a placebo-conversation based on the audible and tactical feel.

I go plenty fast these days and every single truck (barring tensor Mags) grinds roughly the same distance...Indy/Ace/Slappy might go a little easier (I due put more pressure/weight down when riding 'new' ventures or royals until they get worn) due to the rounded hanger, but I love me some Venture/Thunder/Royal krooks with that skinny hanger + Bonus to the hard ass feeling Ventures as they really let me know when I'm in it or about to fall out of it.

Venture grind is really, really visceral =D

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4209 on: March 31, 2023, 07:20:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

After skating Slappy to Royal to Venture, I too, prefer the way Ventures feel in krooks...I actually don't find them harder to grind (same with royals honestly_ -  I think that's a placebo-conversation based on the audible and tactical feel.

I go plenty fast these days and every single truck (barring tensor Mags) grinds roughly the same distance...Indy/Ace/Slappy might go a little easier (I due put more pressure/weight down when riding 'new' ventures or royals until they get worn) due to the rounded hanger, but I love me some Venture/Thunder/Royal krooks with that skinny hanger + Bonus to the hard ass feeling Ventures as they really let me know when I'm in it or about to fall out of it.

How much have you ridden the slappy? Did you groove it at all yet?
(A)pl(E)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4210 on: March 31, 2023, 07:22:42 PM »

Ha yeah, but at least it never hurt to ask and if they are willing to send you some more trucks, then good for you.

It is surprising sometimes what does get a warranty and what does not.

Local distros had turned down kingpin breaks here in the past (and I imagine still do) but going straight to DLX is often a lot easier and if they give you another set of trucks, then so be it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4211 on: March 31, 2023, 08:02:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ha yeah, but at least it never hurt to ask and if they are willing to send you some more trucks, then good for you.

It is surprising sometimes what does get a warranty and what does not.

Local distros had turned down kingpin breaks here in the past (and I imagine still do) but going straight to DLX is often a lot easier and if they give you another set of trucks, then so be it.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
How much have you ridden the slappy? Did you groove it at all yet?

No groove, jumped ship to royals to extend my WB some (felt tight on the slappys) and just gelled with that setup...then slapped on some Ventures with an even shorter WB...and that short WB/Venture feel is doing me right for now...I think it's the overall shorter WB and 'doesn't turn like an indy' truck combo giving me that low/stable feel I didn't think I needed.

I've got a long WB board on Ice for those slappys.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1577
« Reply #4212 on: March 31, 2023, 10:32:57 PM »
Re: Venture grind…..I’m still not a fan…..but it does make metal feel like concrete…tried Ace lo’s and even the Mindys grinded way better…..I understand it though, just like some people prefer granite or concrete ledges over skatepark…

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #4213 on: April 01, 2023, 02:14:26 AM »
Venture low ledge smiths question again :

Is it a problem? You feel a difference?

Would be a big point against them to be honest

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #4214 on: April 01, 2023, 10:04:24 AM »
Traded a set of Thunder 149 titaniums for 5.8 titaniums a little while back. Weather finally cleared up so I slapped on some cast baseplates and set it up with an Anti Hero 8.38 and worn down 52mm SF Conicals. I thought it would be way too long and heavy feeling, but I ended up having one of the best sessions I've had in a long time. Everything felt right with this one. I think I finally found my perfect setup

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4215 on: April 01, 2023, 10:48:43 AM »

Ask Nick Matthews

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #4216 on: April 01, 2023, 12:12:43 PM »

Unless the nut is grinded down, its definitely a problem on some ledges.

Not so bad on metal coped ledges, nice grinding ledges with sharp edges etc but as soon as you try on something more rounded, or concrete it catches. Also depends how deep you dip them

burner

• Rep: 91
« Reply #4217 on: April 02, 2023, 06:38:04 AM »

Nice, good result. I think DLX has done the right thing here, and obviously they think so too. That kingpin shouldn't break like that, seems like a defect, and getting it out and definitely getting another in would have been a massive headache. And now it's all sorted for you, customer service like this is why DLX stays on top, glad to see it.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #4218 on: April 02, 2023, 07:39:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice, good result. I think DLX has done the right thing here, and obviously they think so too. That kingpin shouldn't break like that, seems like a defect, and getting it out and definitely getting another in would have been a massive headache. And now it's all sorted for you, customer service like this is why DLX stays on top, glad to see it.

Imma say no. That’s way too much. Skateboard items are consumable items…

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #4219 on: April 02, 2023, 07:50:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

customers aren't consumable items and they wanted to keep a customer happy. keyword is keep

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4220 on: April 02, 2023, 08:29:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

customers aren't consumable items and they wanted to keep a customer happy. keyword is keep

For a fuckin broken kingpin!? After a year? For an item with a small profit margin…I’m super old and kingpins broke all of the time, so that informs some of my opinion here, but there is also a personal frustration that I’m certainly silly to hold. I would not ordinarily describe myself as pro-corporate, but within skateboarding there exists this juicing mentality that I am overly sensitive towards, just always trying to get things for free. And then with multiple platforms for folks to complain, it just seems a bit much. To me. And my completely arbitrary internalized sense of ‘justice’.
I’m probably not making a lot of sense, and everything should just be free anyways

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #4221 on: April 02, 2023, 09:45:57 AM »
i have multiple pairs of ventures, the kingpin issue was fixed within the first 15 mins of breaking it. i only did it to test swellbowed's theory that a broken kingpin counts as a defect

had i lied to them then ok yeah that makes me a douche but i told them the kingpin broke and showed them the paypal receipt and they still ok'd it

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4222 on: April 02, 2023, 09:56:22 AM »
Make a point in the next year to make all things right in the universe and buy a venture T or hat…….

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4223 on: April 02, 2023, 11:18:20 AM »
This seems like taking advantage of dlx being so good natured. Don’t take advantage of good natured things. Like j soy said buy a venture T or hat or something 

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4224 on: April 02, 2023, 11:23:18 AM »
i have multiple pairs of ventures, the kingpin issue was fixed within the first 15 mins of breaking it. i only did it to test swellbowed's theory that a broken kingpin counts as a defect

had i lied to them then ok yeah that makes me a douche but i told them the kingpin broke and showed them the paypal receipt and they still ok'd it

Oh I’m not @ you, and really not anyone in all of this. I was just pushing back at the general notion that it was a ‘defect’.
I apologize, as I was unclear.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #4225 on: April 02, 2023, 02:27:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oh I’m not @ you, and really not anyone in all of this. I was just pushing back at the general notion that it was a ‘defect’.

thanks for the clarification, i was a bit confused what your argument was but yeah that makes sense

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4226 on: April 02, 2023, 07:12:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

thanks for the clarification, i was a bit confused what your argument was but yeah that makes sense

The funny thing with kingpin issues is they used to be so easy to change out, but now it is a whole lot harder.

Through a shop I worked for a while back, a regular customer came in with a broken kingpin on some fairly well used trucks, which were returned to another distro I dealt with - they always had the broken truck sent back to them back in those days, only to have it returned with what looked like a previously used kingpin hammered back into the baseplate of the truck in question and a note that said "no warranty but goodwill gesture for replacement" or something like that, which I appreciated more than then just saying no or sending a new set of trucks.

That wasn't DLX or anything to do with DLX - different brand product, but I can see why some distros do what they do to keep people happy.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4227 on: April 02, 2023, 09:08:38 PM »
the construction is so much better these days and I guess they don't even have a market for replacement parts let alone warrantying anything.  Kingpins don't break like they used to that's for sure, maybe making them so they are impossible to get out is part of the reason why?  The cost to even ship a set a pair of trucks is almost more than the margin....go figure.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4228 on: April 03, 2023, 06:50:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

hey i know Cam. i remember the first time i seen him skate at lynch. i was like damn that kids has crazy style with the roll in grinds. so fun to watch. def one of my favoriet styles at the park. kid takes good photos too. good kid
(A)pl(E)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4229 on: April 03, 2023, 02:36:51 PM »
Did he used to post here?  Someone did…..