Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 355997 times)

Paperclip20

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4350 on: April 30, 2023, 07:36:25 AM »
Oh snap! Now this is an option. Alternatively, I suppose if I can’t find either of those, I could get lights or hollows and toss the light or hollow hangers onto my current cast baseplates, but I was hoping to avoid making Frankentrucks.

I put the V lights on a baker board with a 14.5 wheelbase and it actually seemed more agile than when I had the standard cast ventures awhile back. Maybe because of that small height difference. I'm also quite tall so it may affect me less but I don't think it's as bad as people say.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4351 on: April 30, 2023, 08:14:13 AM »
Just ordered the Loose Truck Bushings. Not sure how I’ll like them, but I wanted to give them a shot. Does anyone use them? What’s your verdict?

I ride um. They're good
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #4352 on: April 30, 2023, 08:43:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Any reason why I shouldn’t just slice a regular bushing down to loose size?
[close]
They won't be green bushings

Green is my favorite color but red better matches the deck.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #4353 on: April 30, 2023, 10:03:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Oh snap! Now this is an option. Alternatively, I suppose if I can’t find either of those, I could get lights or hollows and toss the light or hollow hangers onto my current cast baseplates, but I was hoping to avoid making Frankentrucks.
[close]

I put the V lights on a baker board with a 14.5 wheelbase and it actually seemed more agile than when I had the standard cast ventures awhile back. Maybe because of that small height difference. I'm also quite tall so it may affect me less but I don't think it's as bad as people say.

Hmmm…this is reassuring! I mostly skate baker decks, and I’m also a long lanky bastard, so it may be good for me, as well.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 177
« Reply #4354 on: May 01, 2023, 04:41:23 AM »
Wondering anyone can help me out here or has the same problem. I’m currently on cast 5.6 both trucks are on axle and have been for 6 months now, I’m blowing through the top front bushing every 2 or so weeks now. I’ve tried the low bushing kit with the stock washers,  sanded down bones hard and mediums with the small washer and without, but nothing seems to hold up anymore. The stock purple lasted me about a yr.

Apart from the trucks being on axle the look fine, axle isn’t bent and no cracking. Is it time to bite the bullet and just get new ones or is there a fix? Wanted to ride them until they’re completely toasted but I’m over blowing bushings every two weeks. I do skate a lot of curbs and get that slappys wouldn’t help but seems a bit much.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4355 on: May 01, 2023, 05:08:33 AM »
Have you tried harder non-bones bushings up top and running your trucks a little looser? I’ve always had bad luck with the cores separating and blowing out with bones bushings.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #4356 on: May 01, 2023, 05:58:25 AM »
Wondering anyone can help me out here or has the same problem. I’m currently on cast 5.6 both trucks are on axle and have been for 6 months now, I’m blowing through the top front bushing every 2 or so weeks now. I’ve tried the low bushing kit with the stock washers,  sanded down bones hard and mediums with the small washer and without, but nothing seems to hold up anymore. The stock purple lasted me about a yr.

Apart from the trucks being on axle the look fine, axle isn’t bent and no cracking. Is it time to bite the bullet and just get new ones or is there a fix? Wanted to ride them until they’re completely toasted but I’m over blowing bushings every two weeks. I do skate a lot of curbs and get that slappys wouldn’t help but seems a bit much.

Have you replaced the washer?

Orangepulp1000

« Reply #4357 on: May 01, 2023, 06:39:41 AM »
Have you tried harder non-bones bushings up top and running your trucks a little looser? I’ve always had bad luck with the cores separating and blowing out with bones bushings.

Nah I haven’t as not sure what to use tbh. I’ve only tried bones hard & medium and the low bushing kit from venture

Orangepulp1000

« Reply #4358 on: May 01, 2023, 06:42:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Have you replaced the washer?

When I ran bones I was using the stock bottom bushing and kept the stock washer but used the small one that comes with bones for the top. When I ran the low bushing kit I used stock washers. Just blew out the front bushing today so chucked a bones med in with no washer as it’s all I had on hand to keep the session going.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4359 on: May 01, 2023, 08:27:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nah I haven’t as not sure what to use tbh. I’ve only tried bones hard & medium and the low bushing kit from venture

I’ve been using indy 94 or 96 (I can’t remember which) as a top bushing for a bit because the 90 top bushings kept disintegrating. I have convinced myself that harder bushing on top means looser kingpin nut, which means the bushing is less likely to get pinched apart by the washer. I have no evidence to support my theory, but so far it seems to be holding up. I’ve also convinced myself that hard top bushing = less wheel bite, although chief engineer BALARGUE has suggested it probably just enhances rebound, which is still something I like.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4360 on: May 01, 2023, 10:02:34 AM »
Your theory makes sense. By tightening the nut you are preloading the bushing so it is under more "resting" compression and compresses to higher forces. Bushings have shelf lives like anything else and this plus pinching the top washer with the hanger will wear out a top bushing faster.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 306
« Reply #4361 on: May 01, 2023, 10:28:44 AM »

I use the smaller washers that come with Indy aftermarket bushings on all my trucks.

Stock washers are a little bigger on Indy and Venture and seem to bite into top bushings more.

Made In China

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 645
« Reply #4362 on: May 01, 2023, 02:37:02 PM »
Well, I ended up getting the loose conversion kit way quicker than I was anticipating. On my session yesterday my set up kept making a rattling noise and after awhile, I figured out it was because my back truck nut had started to unscrew and I could screw it either way with just my hands. This meant my truck was millimeters away from falling apart on me. I screwed it down a couple of times but it kept going back. Since I also ride my board as a form of transportation, I really don't want to fuck around and risk my shit falling apart on me, so I immediately got the loose bushings. Going to set it up this week and see how it feels.

Orangepulp1000

« Reply #4363 on: May 01, 2023, 08:49:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’ve been using indy 94 or 96 (I can’t remember which) as a top bushing for a bit because the 90 top bushings kept disintegrating. I have convinced myself that harder bushing on top means looser kingpin nut, which means the bushing is less likely to get pinched apart by the washer. I have no evidence to support my theory, but so far it seems to be holding up. I’ve also convinced myself that hard top bushing = less wheel bite, although chief engineer BALARGUE has suggested it probably just enhances rebound, which is still something I like.

Yeah sweet I’ll grab some 94 Indy bushings then and see how they go then try the 96 if they flog out. Cheers man

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4364 on: May 02, 2023, 04:02:22 AM »
No worries, I hope it works!

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #4365 on: May 02, 2023, 05:03:49 AM »

fwiw, I roll with 5.8 hollow hangers on 20 year old cast baseplates on the 8.5 Ishod TT (14.5" wheelbase) and love everything about it.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4366 on: May 02, 2023, 08:35:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

fwiw, I roll with 5.8 hollow hangers on 20 year old cast baseplates on the 8.5 Ishod TT (14.5" wheelbase) and love everything about it.

This is excellent news. Although I usually skate baker decks, my last deck was a 8.5 symmetrical Ishod, and I plan to scoop another if the opportunity presents itself.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4367 on: May 02, 2023, 08:53:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What type of stuff do you skate? I’m on venture holllow cast with 14.25 and I’m kinda wanting to go to 14.375 or 14.5 after running through these FA sale decks

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #4368 on: May 02, 2023, 09:48:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What type of stuff do you skate? I’m on venture holllow cast with 14.25 and I’m kinda wanting to go to 14.375 or 14.5 after running through these FA sale decks

Pretty exclusively street and "street-style" (ugh) park, though I'm no tech wizard by any stretch of the imagination. At 6'2" I'm pretty tall for a skater though, and I found the long wheelbase helps me be more consistent. I'm fine with putting a little more effort into my scooping tricks because the outcome is more predictable than on a more responsive setup.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4369 on: May 02, 2023, 10:17:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Pretty exclusively street and "street-style" (ugh) park, though I'm no tech wizard by any stretch of the imagination. At 6'2" I'm pretty tall for a skater though, and I found the long wheelbase helps me be more consistent. I'm fine with putting a little more effort into my scooping tricks because the outcome is more predictable than on a more responsive setup.

I’m 6’ or 6’1 on a good day. Sounds like we skate the same stuff. If you skated only curbs or transition I prob would think it wouldn’t work but I’m gonna try it. After switching to venture I feel kickflips are less barrel rolls.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4370 on: May 06, 2023, 05:46:44 PM »
First day on 5.2’s on an 8.125…..Ive done a pressure flip since the 90’s if that says anything about the performance of the truck…..

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #4371 on: May 06, 2023, 05:57:26 PM »
First day on 5.2’s on an 8.125…..Ive done a pressure flip since the 90’s if that says anything about the performance of the truck…..

So how you like em?
Pressure flip can be nice, I always liked a fakie one…

My 5.2 HI’s are on an 8.125 that’s not my fave (bbs), but I’m pleased with the truck. Feels pretty tall (I most frequently skate lo’s or 147s).

I want that Nile Gibbs truck

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 202
« Reply #4372 on: May 06, 2023, 06:04:13 PM »

i run doh doh's in mine and they've been going strong for well over a year, they're still in perfect condition, i put a bones flat washer under the normal washer so i dont have to crank the nut down. nut is flush with the kingpin

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4373 on: May 07, 2023, 07:11:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So how you like em?

My 5.2 HI’s are on an 8.125 that’s not my fave (bbs), but I’m pleased with the truck. Feels pretty tall (I most frequently skate lo’s or 147s).

yeah, they feel pretty tippy but I don't mind it.  That was the intent was to satisfy me realizing still flipping my board is important to me.  The turn is taking awhile to get back used to but that'll come, I still need to get the bushings dialled.  Wheelbase wise, I've somewhat come to terms it's a matter of principle and looks, it doesn't affect me that much, I'll ultimately be on slightly smaller boards so that'll be ok.  I'm coming off 144 Mindy's on an 8.25 which felt like a tank to me. 

Pasta Monster

« Reply #4374 on: May 07, 2023, 11:28:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So how you like em?

Last night, I convinced myself not to, but gave in this morning before finishing my coffee. The graphic is good and I need 5.2 Hi. I’m running 5.6 V-Lights on a 8” FA deck and it just feels gross.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4375 on: May 07, 2023, 12:08:43 PM »
cream and brown is so classy
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #4376 on: May 07, 2023, 12:54:22 PM »
Shop nearest to me only has 5.6s….doesn’t matter much, I’ll be most likely just looking at them.

Cream and brown is classy. Makes sense.

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4377 on: May 07, 2023, 01:24:52 PM »
I got my Loose bushings and have had a couple of sessions on them, they are perfect! They turn so much better than the stock purple ones. Makes me love my V-Lights so much more

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4378 on: May 07, 2023, 05:21:13 PM »
I got my Loose bushings and have had a couple of sessions on them, they are perfect! They turn so much better than the stock purple ones. Makes me love my V-Lights so much more

Yeah nice!

They sure do change things up, so it is amazing what a difference a couple of mm in height can do in that top bushing.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lucky Loki

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4379 on: May 12, 2023, 04:33:28 PM »
I can't seem to get 5.8 standard Ventures flush with the nose and tail end of my deck, because the baseplate goes so far forward. Is this normal? I ended up countersinking the screws trying to get it to pull in.

The deck is a Canadian shop deck, I've run Indies on before.

I had the ventures on a Grimple board before, which was fine too.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 04:41:49 PM by Lucky Loki »