Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 355434 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4380 on: May 12, 2023, 05:05:39 PM »
I can't seem to get 5.8 standard Ventures flush with the nose and tail end of my deck, because the baseplate goes so far forward. Is this normal? I ended up countersinking the screws trying to get it to pull in.

The deck is a Canadian shop deck, I've run Indies on before.

I had the ventures on a Grimple board before, which was fine too.

This sort of thing has nothing to do with the trucks and everything to do with the deck, mainly the press / mold used for the deck which would have a set length between the kicks and then where it was drilled to make the wheelbase, which in this case is a little longer than what might ordinarily be seen, which then makes the trucks sit out further, in this case right into the curve of the kick.

With the normal amount of flat from the deck bolt holes to the start of the kick, you wouldn't usually see this much rise of board and although it makes no difference to the use of the skateboard as a complete, you might find that the kicks feel heavier with the trucks closer to the kicks than on a board with trucks further in, with a shorter wheelbase.

Looking at quite a few different boards from different woodshops, some will sit exactly the same as that, while others will sit in a lot more.  As long as the deck bolt holes are secure and the baseplate is not bending over the curve of the kicks, it should be fine and not cause any issues.

What is the size of the board, wheelbase, etc?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lucky Loki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #4381 on: May 12, 2023, 05:11:26 PM »
Expand Quote
I can't seem to get 5.8 standard Ventures flush with the nose and tail end of my deck, because the baseplate goes so far forward. Is this normal? I ended up countersinking the screws trying to get it to pull in.

[close]

This sort of thing has nothing to do with the trucks and everything to do with the deck, mainly the press / mold used for the deck which would have a set length between the kicks and then where it was drilled to make the wheelbase, which in this case is a little longer than what might ordinarily be seen, which then makes the trucks sit out further, in this case right into the curve of the kick.

With the normal amount of flat from the deck bolt holes to the start of the kick, you wouldn't usually see this much rise of board and although it makes no difference to the use of the skateboard as a complete, you might find that the kicks feel heavier with the trucks closer to the kicks than on a board with trucks further in, with a shorter wheelbase.

Looking at quite a few different boards from different woodshops, some will sit exactly the same as that, while others will sit in a lot more.  As long as the deck bolt holes are secure and the baseplate is not bending over the curve of the kicks, it should be fine and not cause any issues.

It's an 8.5 / 14.25 wb. Good to know it won't cause any problems.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4382 on: May 12, 2023, 05:17:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

If you still had any other old boards (or new) you could sit over the top of it, especially that Grimplestix board, if it was also the 8.5 x 31.85 with 14.25 wb, it might sit longer through the middle than the board you currently have setup now.

Not a worry either way, but I would think that they would feel quite different between that current one and the old one.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 970
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4383 on: May 12, 2023, 07:34:25 PM »
I have overhang on my plates a lot. Pretty sure it goes away. Always a non issue so I only notice on set up if a board did that.

That buffalo truck is sick af.

I just found my Thunder 8.5s with the small usa stamp under the plates. Ive only grinded them like 10 times. They the black on black big grenade graphic. I might see if i can get them rattling and jingling then pass them to a local after a few days in crook city.

This is a nollie crooks summer. Id kill for a smaller ledge. Something like double curb height. Everything around here is bench height and is why i stick to regular crooks. I should build a box like Henry has. Round coping is the best. its like having a flat bar and a manny pad in one. I feel like if I had one id be able to secure all my skate goals and some by fall.

I hate crooking the curb in all stances. It feels like I'm doing a drop down manny. I eat shit on slappy crooks so badly im def popping my tail. That tricks for bank to curbs and mini ramps.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #4384 on: May 13, 2023, 04:52:37 AM »
The last set of indys I skated overhanged on some decks, too.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Lucky Loki

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4385 on: May 13, 2023, 05:53:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

If you still had any other old boards (or new) you could sit over the top of it, especially that Grimplestix board, if it was also the 8.5 x 31.85 with 14.25 wb, it might sit longer through the middle than the board you currently have setup now.

Not a worry either way, but I would think that they would feel quite different between that current one and the old one.

Yeah, the Grimple was different - 8.38 * 13.75 / 14 WB. It was fun, and worked well with the ventures, but felt too short sometimes.

I fell in love with my last shop deck, which is good for the wallet.

I'll give it a go with the Ventures. Just good to know it won't hang up or pry apart.

MxsDx

• Rep: 94
« Reply #4386 on: May 13, 2023, 12:58:45 PM »
Does anyone know if the late 90’s era feather lights are closer to today’s venture lows or the highs in terms of height?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #4387 on: May 13, 2023, 04:03:04 PM »
Does anyone know if the late 90’s era feather lights are closer to today’s venture lows or the highs in terms of height?

As far as I know, they made both hi’s, and lo’s, during that time, but the lo’s were ubiquitous, where as the hi’s were maybe being used by some real ones from the north.
But I don’t know

richard00800

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4388 on: May 15, 2023, 02:36:58 AM »
should have done this eirler, even 5050s feel smoother, no more kingpin drag
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 10:16:00 AM by richard00800 »

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4389 on: May 15, 2023, 05:45:11 AM »
should have done this eirler, even 5050s feel smoother

Flat washer on top?

richard00800

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4390 on: May 16, 2023, 11:07:58 PM »
Expand Quote
should have done this eirler, even 5050s feel smoother

[close]

Flat washer on top?

yup, deeper turn, longer bushing life. stock washer tend to chew out top bushing and clipped the inner side of truck when maxing out the turning.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4391 on: May 17, 2023, 06:32:42 AM »
I think conical bushings make a difference too in how they turn too…

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #4392 on: May 17, 2023, 10:39:40 AM »
hope more v-casts come out

Pasta Monster

« Reply #4393 on: May 17, 2023, 11:43:04 AM »

I’m about to try these out. 5.6 on 8” has been weird, so I’m glad I managed to get these in 5.2 Hi.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
« Reply #4394 on: May 17, 2023, 12:03:13 PM »
They look beautiful….

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #4395 on: May 17, 2023, 12:18:13 PM »
Not really a fan of colored trucks, but those are pretty nice.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #4396 on: May 17, 2023, 04:34:14 PM »
They look beautiful….

I think I’m just going to keep them on the desk, provided I get some

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4397 on: May 17, 2023, 06:52:47 PM »

I’m about to try these out. 5.6 on 8” has been weird, so I’m glad I managed to get these in 5.2 Hi.

With those Radial Slims, beautiful. Wish they still did them in 99a.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

venture5.8

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #4398 on: May 17, 2023, 07:11:18 PM »
hope more v-casts come out

yeah are there anymore coming? I am surprised they have only put out the kader and ted barrow ones and they kinda stopped. I saw the violet/ venture ad in the new thrasher so maybe a colab truck could be a v-cast

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #4399 on: May 17, 2023, 07:19:21 PM »
Might have to get the Ted’s before the drought

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #4400 on: May 17, 2023, 07:28:06 PM »
There should be more coming out later this year

SupremePizza

• Rep: 44
« Reply #4401 on: May 24, 2023, 11:42:26 AM »
Currently riding 5.6 casts with 8.25 FA and 56mm classics.  On good days I'm having the best sessions but on other days the steepness can make things feel off. I love the turn+stability of venture with the classics and don't want to change that. Which decks would you suggest for this combination besides Crail, Primitive and April?

IpathCats

« Reply #4402 on: May 24, 2023, 12:42:43 PM »
Currently riding 5.6 casts with 8.25 FA and 56mm classics.  On good days I'm having the best sessions but on other days the steepness can make things feel off. I love the turn+stability of venture with the classics and don't want to change that. Which decks would you suggest for this combination besides Crail, Primitive and April?

anything with more mellow kicks.

8.3 deluxe twin tail was a favorite of mine for a while, i think they make some 8.25 twins too.

I've never had anything from deluxe with steep kicks, but ive only skated a handful of their shapes.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #4403 on: May 24, 2023, 03:01:16 PM »
Thunder and Venture made in Mexico now.

I know it's been talked about before, but I haven't seen a Made In Mexico sticker on them until now.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #4404 on: May 24, 2023, 05:18:29 PM »
Thunder and Venture made in Mexico now.

I know it's been talked about before, but I haven't seen a Made In Mexico sticker on them until now.

forgot that venture baseplate was brown and had a minor meltdown

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #4405 on: May 24, 2023, 08:55:31 PM »

I really like 5.6 Ventures on the 8.25 workshop decks.  The long nose and longer tail pair well with them.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
« Reply #4406 on: May 24, 2023, 09:35:20 PM »

If I’m remembering right, DLX 8.28s are very very close in size to a FA 8.25. They feel smaller maybe cus the kicks aren’t as steep and the nose isn’t as full, but that might be a fun one.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4407 on: May 24, 2023, 11:22:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I really like 5.6 Ventures on the 8.25 workshop decks.  The long nose and longer tail pair well with them.

Same, but the kicks can be pretty steep, so I'd go with a smaller wheel.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #4408 on: May 26, 2023, 08:47:22 AM »

Is this normal? It sort of ovaled on one side and started breaking a fancy new pivot cup after like 20 minutes. I’m not sure I’ve ever had this happen. Fucking crooked grinds lol.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4409 on: May 26, 2023, 10:07:42 AM »

Is this normal? It sort of ovaled on one side and started breaking a fancy new pivot cup after like 20 minutes. I’m not sure I’ve ever had this happen. Fucking crooked grinds lol.
i wouldn't be too worried unless it's affecting your turning. you could always rotate the pivot cup or replace it tho