Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 353995 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4470 on: June 06, 2023, 07:50:30 PM »
Can anyone please tell me what are the differences in measurement of older featherweight ventures to current ventures?

I remember them being my favourite back in the day but back then I didn't think about measurement and shit it was all how the board felt.

I wish I could find some for sale....

I think I have one in a display cabinet so can check and get back, but from memory it was about the same as some of the other trucks from the time, around 52 mm in height.  Definitely a fair bit taller than the low set there, but not as tall as current versions of the normal Ventures at 53.5 mm.

Those ebay trucks are good to look at as well, with all the various angles to see them.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #4471 on: June 06, 2023, 08:50:28 PM »
I'm willing to bet the lows back in the day was lower than the modern equivalent.

My old thunders are definitely sub 48 I bet the feather lite low was the same height as the thunder.

I miss low trucks but they just wouldn't work for me today. My bloard is my main transportation. I gotta be as high as possible so I can run big ass wheels.

This ain't the 90s. Blacktop is fuckin fucked around here. I been on 50s just for fun for a few days. I eat shit all the time now. Probably gonna switch back soon.

The crack at the end of the curb needs Bondo. I wanna fakie Manny off the sidewalk

You can't see it but this is like curb sidewalk then curb again and fire lane. The street was paved recently too and it's slanted towards the curbs.
Observation the glory.

That crack tho. It's fucking making me e insane. When I try to avoid it there's a drain. I can't Tiago out of a fakie nanny these days.

I can't even get over the crack

I tried front nose fakie Manny like 1

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

GT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #4472 on: June 07, 2023, 01:28:55 AM »

I have these old ones I got on ebay couple years ago.

These are not featherlights I think . They are like mid height.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #4473 on: June 07, 2023, 07:33:05 AM »
i remember seeing a neighborhood kid with a wild setup, and he claimed he had venture ‘lowriders’. i’m guessing this was somewhere between 91-93.
i ‘skated’ (grew up far from pavement, but had a variflex twister, then a hawk, and a few boards after that), but shamefully quit somewhere around 90, and started back around 411 vm 6.
i missed all of the rapid changes!! anyways i remember this kid claiming lowriders, his whole setup looked wild, he was dressed full goofy boy, and his dad was a cop. by 94 ventures lo’s were the way

Mick

• Rep: 25
« Reply #4474 on: June 09, 2023, 06:44:52 PM »
Do 5.2 lows actually bite as bad as people say? Thinking of going from 148 Raws to some 5.2 Lows and skate 53mm Classics. Don't really bite too bad on thunders but I also wax my wells often. Also, 5.2 lows on 8.12/8.25 anybody?

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4475 on: June 09, 2023, 07:40:23 PM »
Do 5.2 lows actually bite as bad as people say? Thinking of going from 148 Raws to some 5.2 Lows and skate 53mm Classics. Don't really bite too bad on thunders but I also wax my wells often. Also, 5.2 lows on 8.12/8.25 anybody?
I skated 5.2 lows right after a set of thunder 147 and less wheel bite for sure. Also I was on 8.25s and it worked great!
I took the 5.2s off because the stock bushings were freezing up last winter but ill

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4476 on: June 09, 2023, 08:33:15 PM »
They bite worse for me.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 445
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4477 on: June 16, 2023, 05:51:28 AM »
After a few weeks on Venture standards I still have no binding on the hanger from the stock top washer which is great! Maybe I got lucky or maybe they’ve fixed the issue with is. Happy to have found a truck that I like without having to tinker with it at all. Looking forward to a few more slappy sessions to get some deeper grooves.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #4478 on: June 16, 2023, 03:37:42 PM »
I recently bought a white venture t and I’m saving for the green cord hat…….I’m pretty pleased with the results so far as well…….

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4479 on: June 16, 2023, 05:28:01 PM »
I recently bought a white venture t and I’m saving for the green cord hat…….I’m pretty pleased with the results so far as well…….

i fear commitment, but of all the logo’s, venture has the most pull, for me

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1927
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4480 on: June 16, 2023, 06:16:53 PM »
5 logo tees and 3 logo caps, I'm 100% Awakened
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4481 on: June 16, 2023, 09:10:00 PM »
5 logo tees and 3 logo caps, I'm 100% Awakened

sig is life

i’m back on 5.2 lo’s 99% of the time

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4482 on: June 16, 2023, 10:44:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i fear commitment, but of all the logo’s, venture has the most pull, for me

I agree. I'm usually against soft goods. I'll rock just about anything with the red v on it tho.

That's the most street logo in the history of skating maybe. Low percentage of kook shit attached to venture.

Maybe just those play lists. No body wants to listen to that bullshit.

I hope the only thing that changes is that they introduce a mag a 5.6 low and a 6.7 or whatever with the money they are gonna save.

If there was a mag everyone on earth would want a pair.

Silicone impregnated mags. Lol. 6.9 and 5.6 lows
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4483 on: June 18, 2023, 12:33:03 PM »
got the loose trucks kit green bushings and whoa. kinda insane. 5.2 hi’s are now  loooooooose. feels fun, looks wrong (i skate by myself, in a semi deserted parking lot, this isn’t a cry for help, it’s the best case scenario for someone of my age, and particular ‘skill set’), the loosey goosey truck thing is abhorrent. although back when i could ollie decently i’d try and ollie from the flat to the deck of some ramps, and thinking about it is so shameful. but i cannot go back, so now i just try and keep my sins a little more under wraps, there will be no ‘look at me and how loose my trucks are’ shenanigans.
had anyone used these on a successful bowl type setup? i’ll admit that my beloved 5.2 lo’s, and 52s are not perfect for transitions. even tho i’m super old i’ve not learned backside disasters. mostly because i hate ramps. because i am a coward.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4484 on: June 18, 2023, 06:24:38 PM »
got the loose trucks kit green bushings and whoa. kinda insane. 5.2 hi’s are now  loooooooose. feels fun, looks wrong (i skate by myself, in a semi deserted parking lot, this isn’t a cry for help, it’s the best case scenario for someone of my age, and particular ‘skill set’), the loosey goosey truck thing is abhorrent. although back when i could ollie decently i’d try and ollie from the flat to the deck of some ramps, and thinking about it is so shameful. but i cannot go back, so now i just try and keep my sins a little more under wraps, there will be no ‘look at me and how loose my trucks are’ shenanigans.
had anyone used these on a successful bowl type setup? i’ll admit that my beloved 5.2 lo’s, and 52s are not perfect for transitions. even tho i’m super old i’ve not learned backside disasters. mostly because i hate ramps. because i am a coward.

I bought a few sets to pass around when they finally came out here in AU, but in particular the people that like them the most are kids who needed way softer / lower top bushings to get the turn that adults get from normal stock bushings, and others who needed more kingpin clearance with worn down trucks so the nut is down lower with trucks that were worn to the axle, so they are not actually that loose all up.

As for those who do ride super loose trucks, the couple of guys who tried them thought they were good, so compared to the Bones soft bushings, or the Indy white 78s, they worked well and didn't break or mush out like the Bones bushings did, but being 90 duro, one guy still said they were a little stiff, which I found hard to believe.

If you have a need for a bit more kingpin clearance, they work really well, either get them to where they need to be and angle grind the kingpin down, or even run the kingpin nut a little lower than on the usual bushings you had and still have some more play in the trucks.

Re bowl / transition skaters - yes one guy who skates only bowl and transition had them on and was skating as usual, but even for me, they are a little on the mushier side of what I like, usually on the 92 duro low Indy bushings, which allow a lot of turn but are not wobbly loose like some others have their trucks.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4485 on: June 18, 2023, 06:56:11 PM »

Best trick review in the history of
(A)pl(E)

YMCMB

• Rep: 51
« Reply #4486 on: June 19, 2023, 11:37:01 AM »
Has anyone been on V-Casts yet?

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4487 on: June 19, 2023, 11:56:06 AM »
plenty of people already have already been running the frankenstein combo (hollow/Ti hanger with cast plates) in which Venture responded by rolling out the new model as a Kader pro model. Not sure why they were late on the game when Thunder has had a Team hollow offering for quite some time now

It's just a lighter cast truck. Nothing game-changing in the truck world

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #4488 on: June 19, 2023, 05:59:00 PM »
re: bowls....I think I've seen ben d skate them on transition.  I suspect quite tight but he could handle them pretty well.  Hi's I think are actually not a bad truck in transition, you can skate them on the looser side, and they are nice and predictable. 

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #4489 on: June 20, 2023, 02:31:37 AM »

I've been frankensteining with hollow 5.8 hangers on 20 year old cast plates for about 6 months now. Works like a charm.

re: bowls....I think I've seen ben d skate them on transition.  I suspect quite tight but he could handle them pretty well.  Hi's I think are actually not a bad truck in transition, you can skate them on the looser side, and they are nice and predictable. 

I'm not a great transition skater at all, so ymmv, but the highs with the conversion kit are a very underrated transition setup imo. Haven't come across a turn I couldn't make yet.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 304
« Reply #4490 on: June 26, 2023, 07:49:33 AM »

Came across this old set of Ventures at my parent's house.

Dig that old AWAKE Logo on the hanger. Axles are bent, one kingpin is loose. Probably just going to toss em, but fun to look at!

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4491 on: June 26, 2023, 12:15:16 PM »
id keep the hangers, change the baseplates
use a worn down wheel you dont care about to counter axle slip
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
« Reply #4492 on: June 26, 2023, 01:46:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Crossposting from the questions that don’t deserve their own thread thread (probably made more sense here):

Anyone use any other brands of replacement pivot cups in Venture baseplates?  I’m trying to figure out what would fit properly. 

I have Riptides in there now which have completely blown apart in like a month of skating.  Not trying to go down that road again.  I wish I kept the original Venture pivot cups from this set but they seem to have disappeared… I was looking at options and it seems like Indy and Ace sell replacement pivot cups but not many other brands.  Thanks!
[close]

I usually stock up on the DLX pivot cups, which might be marketed as Thunder pivot cups, but they come loose in whatever quantity you want, so could be more a generic type but they seem to work in any trucks I have needed to put them in, mainly Indy, Thunder and Venture.

They are just plain black, fit snugly and seem to hold well for as long as is needed, so I would imagine it is down to certain shops as to what they get in and how they sell them.

Some of the other brands that have the blister pack or the hang sell card with stapled bag end up being more than twice the cost for the same number of pivot cups, so when I find them, I get a few at a time, here in AU.

Not sure if Indy still have boxes of 20 or so, but they used to be good as well and seem like they are almost the same product, maybe generic pivot cups they all get and then box them up or bag them as needed.

Edit:

As per the other thread, best answer:

Expand Quote

Deluxe makes replacement pivot cups. I got a set that worked perfectly in my Thunders but can't speak how well they would fit in Ventures. Doesn't look like the big online stores carry it (SkateWarehouse, Tactics, etc) but my local has them: https://www.cowtownskateboards.com/skateboarding/parts/bushings/deluxe/super-cush-pivot-cup-pid-13607
[close]

Thanks for the recommendation everyone.  Stocked up on those deluxe pivot cups from cowtown and they’re great.  No break-in period and didn’t get shredded like the recent Riptides I’ve had.

Hoping to get a couple more months out of these beauties

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4493 on: June 26, 2023, 03:57:20 PM »
switching to thunder hard bushings after these supercush 97s
loving the stability and consistency of harder bushings
but miss the ability to easily turn with my lead foot
(angled grinded my kingpin a bit too far :()

wasnt sold on conical bushings in the softer duros
but hopefully this is what i was looking for
will report on my findings
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #4494 on: June 26, 2023, 04:40:55 PM »

I put bones hard on top and Indy white barrels (no washer) on my Hi 5.8 and it’s a best of both worlds scenario for me tbh. Rock solid and very “Venture Stable” on center but a nice turn/carve that’s more in line with Stage XIs

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4495 on: June 26, 2023, 04:45:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I put bones hard on top and Indy white barrels (no washer) on my Hi 5.8 and it’s a best of both worlds scenario for me tbh. Rock solid and very “Venture Stable” on center but a nice turn/carve that’s more in line with Stage XIs
so a softer bottom bushing should do the trick…
ill try to snag some in the loose parts bin before getting a new set

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #4496 on: June 26, 2023, 04:53:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
so a softer bottom bushing should do the trick…
ill try to snag some in the loose parts bin before getting a new set

I’ve been messing around with hard/soft combos for a while now. My anecdotal opinion is harder tops seem to improve stability by keeping the hanger straighter (?) while the soft bottoms give a little more in regards to turning.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #4497 on: June 27, 2023, 01:24:56 AM »

i just learned these (on ventures of course) after years of trying and it’s much easier if you put your front foot very close to the nose so that it’s already set up to roll in. nollie bs disasters help a little and then instead of doing that nollie pivot you basically do a hard bs revert on the back wheels while staying in the transition with your body weight
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4498 on: June 27, 2023, 05:50:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i just learned these (on ventures of course) after years of trying and it’s much easier if you put your front foot very close to the nose so that it’s already set up to roll in. nollie bs disasters help a little and then instead of doing that nollie pivot you basically do a hard bs revert on the back wheels while staying in the transition with your body weight

so kind, thank you!

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4499 on: June 28, 2023, 09:38:13 PM »
update:
switched my bottom bushings to indy conical 90a
has the feeling i want but a harder duro would get me right
have a strong feeling bones hard bottoms (96a) is the ticket

funny coming nearly full circle with this shit again
almost completely back to dims and gear i was comfortable with
just with relatively small changes