Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 349333 times)

Yesterdays-pop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -388
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2020, 08:18:34 PM »
I’m on that vintage venture 5.0 wave

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2020, 06:37:49 AM »
Venture heads :

Is there any noticeable difference in geo between 5.6 and 5.8?

Aside from weight and wheel base is there a general preference of v-lights or regular cast?

I have some 149 Indy’s and I sized down to 8.25 decks and 149s feel great on it but I’m wanting set up a tech board  so was thinking 5.6 on 8.25. Plus I wanna try venture but don’t know what would be the best choice to get my feet wet with. Out of v light reg and 5.6 or 5.8

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2020, 07:02:12 AM »
I’m on that vintage venture 5.0 wave

Best wave

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2020, 07:22:13 AM »
Venture heads :

Aside from weight and wheel base is there a general preference of v-lights or regular cast?

I have some 149 Indy’s and I sized down to 8.25 decks and 149s feel great on it but I’m wanting set up a tech board  so was thinking 5.6 on 8.25. Plus I wanna try venture but don’t know what would be the best choice to get my feet wet with. Out of v light reg and 5.6 or 5.8

Unless you are all about weight savings I would start with the standard cast. I was running polished 5.6 cast for a while and they did everything I needed and didn't feel that much heavier coming from hollow light thunders.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2020, 07:24:53 AM »
that top bushing looks like shit in the 2nd pic.

almost grabbed some of those the other day online, glad i didn't.

yeah I swapped the top for a cracking bones med.

The washer on top cuts into the yoke as well. I recommend  top washer swap

Just wondering if kader the new lion from mt zion who is the hardest in this forest?

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2020, 07:37:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks for the feedback gents, I might even Franken a pair of 5.6 raws and 5.6 v-lights with the hollow kingpin to shave weight, but keep the cast baseplate for the pop and wheelbase sake. I’m hyped I’m getting them today at 6pm central. AWAKE.
[close]
Lol wut? you're buying v-lights becuase of weight/kingpin, but keep cast plates? so you want to hammer both kingpins out and put the hollow one in the cast plates?
[close]

I think he's talking about doing this because the V-Lights also have a hollow axel? I was wondering too before realizing it has a hollow kingpin and axel. I did a similar thing with my Thunders, used an old cast baseplate with titanium axel 149's, before they started making the Team Titanium or whatever that comes stock with cast baseplate.

Hey Sadnocomply, if you buy both trucks to frankenstein, buy Thunder hollow replacement kingpins to put in the cast baseplate rather than hammering out the ones from the forged baseplate. Hammering out hollow kingpins is very difficult and can "mushroom" the head of it, making it harder to remove all the way and also rendering it useless for re-use. Probably weakens it too. Installing a brand new hollow kingpin is a better bet!

two machine shops around here helped me with kingpin replacement. They threw it up on the press and even glued the old gk down for me.

I was a machinist before drugs happened and my 3rd? major head injury. So maybe they just pity me but they do it for free.

My auntie Sally was a machinist too. Rip Sally i luv you i miss you.
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2020, 01:27:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Venture heads :

[close]

Unless you are all about weight savings I would start with the standard cast. I was running polished 5.6 cast for a while and they did everything I needed and didn't feel that much heavier coming from hollow light thunders.

I've running a set of 5.6 V-hollows (forged plate, hollow pin and axles) and have some 5.6 V-lites (forged plates hollow pins) on my kids boards, before setting them all up, holding them in hand the weight savings is negligible.

I like light setups so the 5.6 V-Hollows was the obvious choice for me; would have gone ti if they were available...but that's me, I don't think the weight savings for ti is THAT great against a hollow (especially considering the price), unless we're talking Indys or anything at 8.5/149 or above....noticeable in hand but once they're setup...meh
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:53:19 PM by Xen »

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2020, 01:35:23 PM »
damn noticing so many more people riding ventures!
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2020, 01:38:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Venture heads :

[close]

[close]

I've running a set of 5.6 V-hollows (forged plate, hollow pin and axles) and have some 5.6 V-lites (forged plates hollow pins) on my kids boards, before setting them all up, holding them in hand the weight savings is negligible.

I like light setups so the 5.6 V-Hollows was the obvious choice for me; would have gone ti if they were available...but that's me, I don't think the weight savings for ti is THAT great against a hollow, unless we're talking Indys or anything at 8.5/149 or above....noticeable in hand but once they're setup...meh

Is the extended wheel base the forge base plates give you any noticeable issues? Cause I’m kinda leaning towards 5.6 v-lights(even though I do kinda like 8.5 trucks on 8.25 deck) but the extra length is what’s kinda getting me shook. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2020, 01:58:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Venture heads :

[close]

[close]

I like light setups so the 5.6 V-Hollows was the obvious choice for me; would have gone ti if they were available...but that's me, I don't think the weight savings for ti is THAT great against a hollow, unless we're talking Indys or anything at 8.5/149 or above....noticeable in hand but once they're setup...meh
[close]

Is the extended wheel base the forge base plates give you any noticeable issues? Cause I’m kinda leaning towards 5.6 v-lights(even though I do kinda like 8.5 trucks on 8.25 deck) but the extra length is what’s kinda getting me shook.

If you are coming from Indy you'll feel the change for sure - I'm riding them on a short (14") WB so I don't notice the extra length and they're already compensating for what I normally feel comfy on. I did NOT like them on a long WB and wouldn't use them on anything longer than 14.25"....even then I'd probably keep to 14" / 14.1" WB on them. A few others have noted how nice the feel on short WB decks.

What's funny is all the talk about this truck, that truck and WB when it seems the average for everyone is hovering around 17.5" axle to axle WB.

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2020, 06:34:46 PM »
17.5" axle to axle WB.
this is the blessed measurement

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2020, 06:57:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks for the feedback gents, I might even Franken a pair of 5.6 raws and 5.6 v-lights with the hollow kingpin to shave weight, but keep the cast baseplate for the pop and wheelbase sake. I’m hyped I’m getting them today at 6pm central. AWAKE.
[close]
Lol wut? you're buying v-lights becuase of weight/kingpin, but keep cast plates? so you want to hammer both kingpins out and put the hollow one in the cast plates?
[close]

I think he's talking about doing this because the V-Lights also have a hollow axel? I was wondering too before realizing it has a hollow kingpin and axel. I did a similar thing with my Thunders, used an old cast baseplate with titanium axel 149's, before they started making the Team Titanium or whatever that comes stock with cast baseplate.

Hey Sadnocomply, if you buy both trucks to frankenstein, buy Thunder hollow replacement kingpins to put in the cast baseplate rather than hammering out the ones from the forged baseplate. Hammering out hollow kingpins is very difficult and can "mushroom" the head of it, making it harder to remove all the way and also rendering it useless for re-use. Probably weakens it too. Installing a brand new hollow kingpin is a better bet!
[close]

two machine shops around here helped me with kingpin replacement. They threw it up on the press and even glued the old gk down for me.

I was a machinist before drugs happened and my 3rd? major head injury. So maybe they just pity me but they do it for free.

My auntie Sally was a machinist too. Rip Sally i luv you i miss you.
If you wanna press out a hollow kingpin you could put an acorn/cap nut on it.
Any hardware store should stock it, 3/8"-24
https://www.mcmaster.com/91875a155

Machine shop.. spindle oil is made for high speed bearings..
You want thinner for cold weather, ISO 2 or ISO 5.
ISO 10 is thickest and I'm guessing it's around the viscosity of most bearing lubes.

edit: lol. brain fart..
As an Indy dude the Venture casts look interesting to me.
Height and wb offset is similar to Indy forged?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 11:41:05 PM by satan »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2020, 02:44:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Venture heads :

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

If you are coming from Indy you'll feel the change for sure - I'm riding them on a short (14") WB so I don't notice the extra length and they're already compensating for what I normally feel comfy on. I did NOT like them on a long WB and wouldn't use them on anything longer than 14.25"....even then I'd probably keep to 14" / 14.1" WB on them. A few others have noted how nice the feel on short WB decks.

What's funny is all the talk about this truck, that truck and WB when it seems the average for everyone is hovering around 17.5" axle to axle WB.

completely agree. shit gets weird with ventures and a 14.38 wb.

logged all my axle to axle wb findings and found 17.5-17.63 was the best all round a2a wb for me at least. once i hit 17.75+, things felt boaty. 17.38 felt short for my long ass legs but would be the lowest id work with. keeping my cast ventures around for that blue moon when i pick up a 14.125 wb to give me a 17.5 a2a off the rip.

ventures really give me the confidence to try deck wheelbases that scare me
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2020, 01:38:29 PM »
Saw a dude shredding the bowl last night on ventures. He had them wobble loose with no washers. Said he’d just swapped from Indies and was loving them.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2020, 06:45:58 PM »
Saw a dude shredding the bowl last night on ventures. He had them wobble loose with no washers. Said he’d just swapped from Indies and was loving them.

This is the kinda info I'm here for

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2020, 06:48:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Venture heads :

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

logged all my axle to axle wb findings and found 17.5-17.63 was the best all round a2a wb for me at least. once i hit 17.75+, things felt boaty. 17.38 felt short for my long ass legs but would be the lowest id work with. keeping my cast ventures around for that blue moon when i pick up a 14.125 wb to give me a 17.5 a2a off the rip.

what was wrong with the 14.38wb and cast ventures? Isn’t that withn your 17.63” a2a range? Messed up manual point? Boaty? Just curious, not extra stability? Like a longer wb on indys feels how different than a short wb on venture even though they even out. Fingers of flat.. kick steepness.. that variable removes if possible even tho it’s not

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2020, 07:37:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Venture heads :

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
what was wrong with the 14.38wb and cast ventures? Isn’t that withn your 17.63” a2a range? Messed up manual point? Boaty? Just curious, not extra stability? Like a longer wb on indys feels how different than a short wb on venture even though they even out. Fingers of flat.. kick steepness.. that variable removes if possible even tho it’s not

if i remember correctly, the measurement i was getting was 17.75 from axle to axle, not 17.63.
i marked venture 6.1s as adding 3.375 to the wb. i found that with the weight and geometry of the truck, i lost the snappy pop feel past a 14.25 deck wb. i also lost my manual point and any trick i popped had to really be snapped down to get average results. rotational tricks moved noticeably slower, like turning a boat. venture stability has been a non factor to me ever since i put a deckside barrel bushing in a thunder.

i know the measurement could be off by human error but it really felt like the trucks were just a little further back. that on top of the weight difference between 6.1s and what im used to didnt work on a 14.38. luckily for me i didnt have to bear with something i know i didnt like. threw the ventures on a 14 wb, something i would honestly never step on outside of experimentation, and i honestly could have skated the deck to the ground if i was desperate. then tried them on a beat up 14.25, razortailed to shit, and could still get shit off like it had life in it. put my thunder forged on the 14.38 and it was back to its the responsive self. ventures have shined for me on the >14.25 deck wheelbases. not saying bigger wheelbases and ventures cant work for anyone else of course, its just not agile enough for my liking.

"Like a longer wb on indys feels how different than a short wb on venture even though they even out."

i think i know exactly what your saying but ill put my point out there to clarify. there are a ton of ways to get a 17.5 axle to axle wb on a deck. if the truck is literally not the same truck, there will be no way to completely get one truck to behave like another. every truck will have different characteristics and to try and compare them exactly to another will drive you crazy. with the amount of outside factors, i can firmly say its impossible without a fuckton of constants and computer measurements. youd be better off leaving that to someone with the time and resources to do it, i.e. the professor. it did so much to help my madness by finding my truck of choice and tweaking the small issues when possible. take the journey to find that truck if you havent already. cost me $260 short term, but at least i kicked the urge to try every new truck and just progress on one.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2020, 08:26:56 PM »
damn noticing so many more people riding ventures!

venture and ace is the way. But most people will not like the change and they will think can i trade these for thunders if i hit up dlx? Hmmm.

I been hyped on my homies thunder teams today. I cleaned them up nice and I was doing long g turns before the rain started. They're so low and i got them on a flat 8.5. I dont know what bearings he got. They're odd. They got like a little step on the side of the inner race. And the outside looks blackened. Same black cages as reds. I was thinking maybe neal? There nice and fast.

Tons of fun easy manny set up.

Wheel bite is crazy though. Dude has black bones meds no washers. I dont like bones bottoms anymore.

I turned 21 on thunder teams for 7.5-7.75 i dont remember getting that much wheel bite at all. thats the truck i rode most of my life. I lost the green bushings i shaved down on like the 3rd set.

Im more stoked on ace and venture today though. And indy 139s

I am so stoned out f my mind rn i dont remember writing this. My whole body is goose bumps listening to the Melvins. Petting my cats

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Hattori Hanzo is awake
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 08:30:43 PM by Banned from the room »
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2020, 09:13:36 PM »
Expand Quote
17.5" axle to axle WB.
[close]

im try
Expand Quote
17.5" axle to axle WB.
[close]

im tryna get closer to 17.
I have never landed a switch tre. This is my year.

Also nollie crooks. If i can nollie crook the flat bar by my 42 birthday ill freak.

I haven't nollied into a front truck trick since 2002. Hmmm mini ramp and crurbs aside

This is my year. Im going to try and jump down something. Im scared of broken tails and alligator bite.

That shit sucks.

The ledge is my conduit to nirvana
(A)pl(E)

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2020, 05:36:42 PM »
Just bought some Venture low 5.25s. Rode venture during bpsw era and during the stage 9 Indys because I hated those. As previously stated, my best skating (trick wise) was on ventures, yet I always liked the feel of Indys. Decided as my aging decline continues, I want to have that great venture stability under my bad ankles. And enjoy flip tricks as well. Pretty excited , once my ankle heals.

passtheish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2020, 08:21:12 PM »
Shiiiiit I wish I skated 8 or 8.75 because the new raw kaders fuckin SMACK.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6vt7GhDWQf/?igshid=yng86vgbwrwd

I hope venture is on the come up for real. They been around longer than I’ve been born I think lol but I never see them at a sesh or at the park just indy/ace or thunder bros. Company seems ill to me, and the hangers are HARD  ;D

I got the 6.1 version of these, First pair of Ventures ever, loving them so far

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2020, 10:01:46 PM »
repost from the truck thread but the last part fits here

my theory with venture's resurgence is the stark contrast to indy. independent is the most popular truck company with diehard fans/customers. give those customers reasons to try other shit (moving to china, pros leaving, nhs spongebob collabs) and brand loyalty loosens up a bit. give those same customers trucks that are bizarro indys performance wise, pick up bobby fucking worrest, and tell those people that they are "awake" from their purchase? dlx did a marketing masterclass with perfect timing

unsurprisingly, its another dlx company that i fuck with. its a shame i like venture as a company more than how the trucks feel, but i will always back truck cos that go against the "fuck the rest" circlejerk.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2020, 05:57:25 AM »
Just bought some Venture low 5.25s. Rode venture during bpsw era and during the stage 9 Indys because I hated those. As previously stated, my best skating (trick wise) was on ventures, yet I always liked the feel of Indys. Decided as my aging decline continues, I want to have that great venture stability under my bad ankles. And enjoy flip tricks as well. Pretty excited , once my ankle heals.

Cast or hollow? Kinda wish they made some hollow/cast plate combo. 5.25 lo’s the best tho.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2020, 06:59:24 AM »
Cast. I'm psyched. Rehabbing my foot so hopefully a few weeks. Also, the "quick pop response" of a low truck, is something I've missed.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 07:09:08 AM by fang »

passtheish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2020, 10:42:02 AM »
repost from the truck thread but the last part fits here

my theory with venture's resurgence is the stark contrast to indy. independent is the most popular truck company with diehard fans/customers. give those customers reasons to try other shit (moving to china, pros leaving, nhs spongebob collabs) and brand loyalty loosens up a bit. give those same customers trucks that are bizarro indys performance wise, pick up bobby fucking worrest, and tell those people that they are "awake" from their purchase? dlx did a marketing masterclass with perfect timing

unsurprisingly, its another dlx company that i fuck with. its a shame i like venture as a company more than how the trucks feel, but i will always back truck cos that go against the "fuck the rest" circlejerk.

Agreed, that's how they got me to switch to them

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2020, 12:39:21 PM »
Cast. I'm psyched. Rehabbing my foot so hopefully a few weeks. Also, the "quick pop response" of a low truck, is something I've missed.

Regular cast trucks are the best, I need to quit tempting myself on bullshit. Set it and forget it. Easier said than done, but.....putting trucks on and not fucking with them is also pretty lazy so imma try and use my laziness to my advantage.

ballintoohard

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2020, 07:48:54 PM »
The fact that they don't ship with a flat washer and instead use a big curved one that digs into the hanger just shows how dogshit the engineering is. I like them in a straight line, but I shouldn't have to turn my setup into a science experiment to get it to turn how I want. Don't have to do it with any other brand, not even bushings.

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2020, 07:55:39 PM »
Post a clip of you turning how you want

Guaranteed goofy and unnecessary
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2020, 09:33:47 PM »