Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 349393 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2020, 09:10:49 PM »
if you use the ones without plastic frame around, like those stripped down slimmer all metal ones, it can work. but unit tools are still too thick for example.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2020, 07:40:09 AM »
Do T tools line up nicely with the nuts yet?

I use the indy tool. Still gotta be careful
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2020, 07:40:57 AM »
All I have is the unit.
two of them.

Well not sure how i'll get these 6.1's on then

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2020, 07:44:29 AM »
All I have is the unit.
two of them.

adjustable wrench
(A)pl(E)

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2020, 07:47:37 AM »
Expand Quote
All I have is the unit.
two of them.

[close]

adjustable wrench
yeah i'm sure i got something around the workbench. inconvenient tho.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2020, 07:50:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
All I have is the unit.
two of them.

[close]

adjustable wrench
[close]

agreed
(A)pl(E)

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2020, 07:52:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
All I have is the unit.
two of them.

[close]

adjustable wrench
[close]

What I did back in the. day with Venture and the Unit T tool was angle the tool on to the nut it grabs it pretty well and then just use a screw driver to screw it in vs turning the tool.

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2020, 08:03:12 AM »
If you’re struggling that hard, you can always take the hangar off and just mount the baseplate. I had to do that when I bought those stupid “light” shortys with the tiny nuts.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #128 on: February 18, 2020, 12:44:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Do T tools line up nicely with the nuts yet?
[close]

I use the indy tool. Still gotta be careful
I have the indy tool too. It doesn't get along very well with the outer most bolts on my new Venture 5.8's. But my 360 flips are loving them. I will take the trade off.

shawngreg

• Rep: 64
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2020, 09:12:07 AM »
Silver makes a good skate tool that works pretty efficiently with Ventures.

Does anyone have recommendations on pivot cups that fit Ventures properly?  I'm running 5.8 TI's

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2020, 10:15:37 AM »

Does anyone have recommendations on pivot cups that fit Ventures properly?  I'm running 5.8 TI's

Not really....it works just kike any other skate tool works, just barely, at an angle...it also sucks on those low profile shortys nuts on ventures (angle makes it hard to latch onto).

Riptides.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2020, 10:44:59 AM »
LOL just grabbed some shorty's 1" for my next setup with Ventures. aw shit

shawngreg

• Rep: 64
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2020, 10:58:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not really....it works just kike any other skate tool works, just barely, at an angle...it also sucks on those low profile shortys nuts on ventures (angle makes it hard to latch onto).

Riptides.

Really? I just picked up one of the Silver tools and it def was way easier than the other tool I had been using.  I think my previous was an Independent tool.  There was def a noticeable difference in difficulty with removing the bolts.

And I assumed Riptides, but I didnt know if there was like a model specific for Ventures.  Thanks G
*edit* just copped some riptides actually, gooood loooooks
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 11:05:46 AM by shawngreg »

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2020, 11:11:48 AM »
LOL just grabbed some shorty's 1" for my next setup with Ventures. aw shit
As long as they’re not the “lights” you’re fine.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2020, 11:22:02 AM »
even then it's really not that bad, managed to get a pair on recently with that hardware. definitely worse than thunder.

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2020, 11:43:20 AM »
Spitfire tool is all you need
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2020, 05:53:22 AM »
Be careful about using the Indy tool on Ventures, they made it so the stem will crack and often shatter at the angle necessary to secure the nut on there.  You can get away with it or if you go slowly and are very careful like I am. 

They specifically made the Indy tool to be incompatible with Ventures to try to hedge them out of the market.  I think that it’s A) evil and B) dumb.  Don’t make the consumer pay for your dwindling sales, especially with those sharp slivers of plastic that can get everywhere when that shaft shatters.  My friend had to take his cat to the emergency vet because it ate one of those slivers and did some damage to its esophagus (it’s ok now though).  And it’s dumb because people are just going to think Indy makes poor tools.  They are not poor quality, they are just bobbytrapped.  That’s the key point I’m trying to make here.

If you have a lathe or a cut-off wheel or something like that, you can actually notch out the shaft where it would make contact with the Venture hanger.  I would not recommend this to the weekend hobbyist sect because there is far less margin for error than it appears.

[Tip:  If you’re going to try this, heat that thing up a little bit!  I microwaved it 2 seconds at a time for a total of 12 seconds (3 second cool-down).  5x6=30 seconds total.]

Now if you are working with 7/8” bolts, that’s going to change the equation entirely.  At sea level, the density of the metal compared with the average atmospheric pressure is going to make that shorter bolt a bit more brittle than your standard 1 incher.  “Well what does this mean for me?” you ask.  Well, that’s a tough question to answer.  First off, do you have a plumb bob?  If yes, skip the next paragraph.  If no, continue reading.

You’ll want to figure out some way of independently (no pun intended! Lol) verifying the true center of that bolt.  Manufacturers specs are shockingly inaccurate, as I have found variances of 3, even 4 microns on either side of true center.  The easiest way I have found to verify this without a plumb bob or electron microscope is using the earth’s natural magnetic field, when adjusted for the tilting axis and slight wobble we experience while rotating, the bolt will tend to gravitate towards true north as long as you have two equally-powerful magnets equidistant and the bolt is dropped face-down between them.

Good, now that we know true center, we need to simply repeat this 7 more times for each of the bolts.  This should take no less than an hour provided you’ve got your system down and are taking accurate notes (which you should be.  Otherwise you might as well just let the guy at CCS put your board together for you, pleb). 

Another key mistake I see a lot of people make is just turning the bolt or the nut right on there.  Hahahaha.  Fools!  Filthy, unwashed masses and their simple ways.  You need to turn the nut or the bolt backwards one turn for every two full turns.  This should be obvious, but if you need me to spell it out for you, this will dissipate some of that heat generated from the friction caused from those threads rubbing together.  As you turn, those threads are actually getting hotter than the surface of the sun for a brief nanosecond (this is why I tend to wear a welding helmet while assembling my skateboard).  Turning the bolt back the OTHER way will reverse some of that heat, actually bringing the threads dangerously close to absolute-zero in the process.  This hot/cold/hot/cold will ensure the threads do not get misshapen while also hardening the metal at the same time.  Your bolts will be able to survive a nuclear blast if done correctly.  (I actually have a fallout shelter built exclusively out of my old hardened hardware.  If any of u pals need a spot to wait out the nuclear holocaust, come on over, give the “double knock-pause-single knock” signal, give the secret passcode (“Shalom”) and you’re in!  Mi casa su casa.)

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM and I can walk you through any of these steps. 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2020, 08:00:37 AM »
What’s an Indy tool?

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2020, 08:08:49 AM »
y’all need a gd toolbox
🤙

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2020, 08:34:27 AM »
y’all need a gd toolbox

Truth. I’ve always just kept a screwdriver and wrench in my car.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2020, 08:40:51 AM »
Expand Quote
y’all need a gd toolbox
[close]

Truth. I’ve always just kept a screwdriver and wrench in my car.

Using an actual socket wrench from a set that I know is going to last a lifetime is nice. Skate specific tools can be convenient but are typically overpriced garbage.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2020, 09:10:42 AM »
What’s an Indy tool?

Anyone still riding them?

Thanks, I'm here all week...

(I'm kidding FFS, it was too easy and I couldn't resist)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2020, 09:13:11 AM »
y’all need a gd toolbox

For real. I've plenty of tools that get around the venture angle or low profile nuts, etc. I use the Silver tool to ratchet down then a sk8ology tool to tighten all the way; I hate cranking down the allen/phillips side as it chews up the tape sometimes.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2020, 09:16:14 AM »
I have tools. I feel like the complaint wasn't involving NOT being able to get the trucks on. Just them being a bit more inconvenient.
And the difference between the forged/cast plates right?

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2020, 09:51:41 AM »
Expand Quote
What’s an Indy tool?
[close]

Anyone still riding them?

Thanks, I'm here all week...

(I'm kidding FFS, it was too easy and I couldn't resist)

I was offended by your post and feel that you should apologize to not only me but all my homies who happen to be bald, judgmental, and make some very interesting comments about maintaining some kind superiority. Not only do I want you to apologize, I want some form of compensation in the way of monetary value.

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2020, 10:35:35 AM »
I just tried my venture 5,8 Bobby worrests today after skating indy's for 2 years with half that time being on bones hard bushings. Felt so strange, I felt like a noob. Was struggling, felt so weird, hopefully it gets better or I'll have to revert. I was trying to tighten them and the green bushing quickly started cracking/herniating. I still want to give them a chance though, since they feel significantly lighter, and this new board I have is a shorter WB than my previous.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 11:05:13 AM by lazer69 »

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2020, 10:49:56 AM »
I just tried my venture 5,8 Bobby worrests today after skating indy's for 2 years with half that time being on bones hard bushings. Felt so strange, I felt like a noob. Was struggling, felt so weird, hopefully it gets better or I'll have to revert. I was trying to tighten them and the green bushing quickly started racking/herniating. I still want to give them a chance though, since they feel significantly lighter, and this new board I have is a shorter WB than my previous.
Don't give up on them just yet! I usually ride fairly tight trucks(with black bushings)on both Indy 144 and Venture's 5.2s. When I got my 5.8 B.Worrests I tightened them up like normal and had the same problems as you.So I just backed the nuts out flush and am just skating them that way and I love them now. I could play the bushing game again but I am trying to contain my insanity to shoes and deck brands..

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2020, 11:27:59 AM »
Be careful about using the Indy tool on Ventures, they made it so the stem will crack and often shatter at the angle necessary to secure the nut on there.  You can get away with it or if you go slowly and are very careful like I am. 

They specifically made the Indy tool to be incompatible with Ventures to try to hedge them out of the market.  I think that it’s A) evil and B) dumb.  Don’t make the consumer pay for your dwindling sales, especially with those sharp slivers of plastic that can get everywhere when that shaft shatters.  My friend had to take his cat to the emergency vet because it ate one of those slivers and did some damage to its esophagus (it’s ok now though).  And it’s dumb because people are just going to think Indy makes poor tools.  They are not poor quality, they are just bobbytrapped.  That’s the key point I’m trying to make here.

If you have a lathe or a cut-off wheel or something like that, you can actually notch out the shaft where it would make contact with the Venture hanger.  I would not recommend this to the weekend hobbyist sect because there is far less margin for error than it appears.

[Tip:  If you’re going to try this, heat that thing up a little bit!  I microwaved it 2 seconds at a time for a total of 12 seconds (3 second cool-down).  5x6=30 seconds total.]

Now if you are working with 7/8” bolts, that’s going to change the equation entirely.  At sea level, the density of the metal compared with the average atmospheric pressure is going to make that shorter bolt a bit more brittle than your standard 1 incher.  “Well what does this mean for me?” you ask.  Well, that’s a tough question to answer.  First off, do you have a plumb bob?  If yes, skip the next paragraph.  If no, continue reading.

You’ll want to figure out some way of independently (no pun intended! Lol) verifying the true center of that bolt.  Manufacturers specs are shockingly inaccurate, as I have found variances of 3, even 4 microns on either side of true center.  The easiest way I have found to verify this without a plumb bob or electron microscope is using the earth’s natural magnetic field, when adjusted for the tilting axis and slight wobble we experience while rotating, the bolt will tend to gravitate towards true north as long as you have two equally-powerful magnets equidistant and the bolt is dropped face-down between them.

Good, now that we know true center, we need to simply repeat this 7 more times for each of the bolts.  This should take no less than an hour provided you’ve got your system down and are taking accurate notes (which you should be.  Otherwise you might as well just let the guy at CCS put your board together for you, pleb). 

Another key mistake I see a lot of people make is just turning the bolt or the nut right on there.  Hahahaha.  Fools!  Filthy, unwashed masses and their simple ways.  You need to turn the nut or the bolt backwards one turn for every two full turns.  This should be obvious, but if you need me to spell it out for you, this will dissipate some of that heat generated from the friction caused from those threads rubbing together.  As you turn, those threads are actually getting hotter than the surface of the sun for a brief nanosecond (this is why I tend to wear a welding helmet while assembling my skateboard).  Turning the bolt back the OTHER way will reverse some of that heat, actually bringing the threads dangerously close to absolute-zero in the process.  This hot/cold/hot/cold will ensure the threads do not get misshapen while also hardening the metal at the same time.  Your bolts will be able to survive a nuclear blast if done correctly.  (I actually have a fallout shelter built exclusively out of my old hardened hardware.  If any of u pals need a spot to wait out the nuclear holocaust, come on over, give the “double knock-pause-single knock” signal, give the secret passcode (“Shalom”) and you’re in!  Mi casa su casa.)

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM and I can walk you through any of these steps. 

Fake news. Blatant V-wing awakeist propaganda. MIGA.

y’all need a gd toolbox

I can't throw a toolbox in my backpack or cargo pocket when I leave for work.

I have access to all the tools I need (plus a ton I don't need) at work but still setup all my boards with a razor blade, silver tool, and the little allen wrench you get with the hardware. Just feels right to me ya know?

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2020, 02:52:22 PM »
What’s an Indy tool?

its China crap. The die was all I needed I needed immediately.

The fricking Allen wrench part stripped into a circular shape
(A)pl(E)

lysdexia

• Rep: 5
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2020, 06:03:03 PM »
the acid tool is magic for ventures and other trucks with awkward hangers to get around.  the wrench can be used straight on like normal, or sideways to get into tight spots