Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 349575 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2020, 08:45:42 PM »
Expand Quote
When I started skating I only skated thunders. Tried a set of venture and hated them (couldn’t really do anything at the time so it didn’t really mean shit) so I just went back to thunders for years until switching to indys in like 2014. Just got a set of the polished 5.6 and I gotta say it feels nice to actually be able to pop my board again
[close]
glad im not the only one who gets no pop on indys

Im riding my Indy 144 Cast and I'm not liking the ride at all. Pinch isn't great, pop feels floaty instead of snappy and I'm not a fan of the height. Can't wait to swap them out.

Edit - setup a pair of Venture 5.2L Hollow Lights on a 8.0 board o retired a while ago. Pop is coming back very nicely, only gripe is the height, feel like my tail is bottoming out. And I forgot to pack riser in my bag. But overall I'm loving Venture

Edit edit - I'm full on the Venture 2020 hype train. I learned backside Smiths and Fs Crooks today, that pinch is magnificent. I think Indy's have a nicer slide on the baseplate but I'll take Ventures explosive pop over the floppiness of Indy.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 05:14:16 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FredGallsBallz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -7
« Reply #181 on: February 27, 2020, 09:47:30 AM »
Koston is skating Ventures. What’s the world coming to? https://www.instagram.com/p/B9FD8PiFfTi/

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #182 on: February 27, 2020, 09:55:55 AM »
Koston flips between ventures and thunders. I think that is why he hasn’t joined a truck company since Indy.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #183 on: February 27, 2020, 08:27:27 PM »
Koston flips between ventures and thunders. I think that is why he hasn’t joined a truck company since Indy.

I don't recall a venture era koston? Plz refresh my memory. I can find any adds.

Wasn't he thunder indy royal back to indy and then full circle thunder?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 9
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2020, 01:05:43 AM »
Do ventures still have that problem where the top washer mashes into the hanger when you ride them loose? I had a pair of the high ones after DLX updated them years ago and I was wondering if they ever resolved that? I liked how they felt doing flip tricks and grinds but do you guys find that because the WB is far out relative to other trucks, the turn is less deep compared to other trucks?

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2020, 01:10:11 AM »
Do ventures still have that problem where the top washer mashes into the hanger when you ride them loose? I had a pair of the high ones after DLX updated them years ago and I was wondering if they ever resolved that? I liked how they felt doing flip tricks and grinds but do you guys find that because the WB is far out relative to other trucks, the turn is less deep compared to other trucks?

I skate for transport a lot and I like loose trucks. I can’t tell the difference between the 5.8 Ventures highs I’m riding now and the 20 sets of 149 Indys I rode previously. Great turns.
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2020, 01:17:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I skate for transport a lot and I like loose trucks. I can’t tell the difference between the 5.8 Ventures highs I’m riding now and the 20 sets of 149 Indys I rode previously. Great turns.

Thanks for the info, do you find the top washer mashes into the truck? It's more of an aesthetic thing but I feel like that'd bug me

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2020, 04:55:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't recall a venture era koston? Plz refresh my memory. I can find any adds.

No sorry. I meant on Instagram he’s been flipping between those two trucks.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #188 on: February 28, 2020, 05:03:05 AM »
those two nuts ARE a bitch to tighten with the unit tool. adjustable wrench it is.. that plus phillips over allen which I usually use was  :(

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #189 on: February 28, 2020, 07:41:52 AM »
those two nuts ARE a bitch to tighten with the unit tool. adjustable wrench it is.. that plus phillips over allen which I usually use was  :(

Silver tool works decently but those 2 nuts are a bitch. The baseplate is wider than a Thunder one, the riser I had don't sit flush but in too lazy to go to the shop for some new ones.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2020, 09:43:53 AM »

Yes, recommend a Bones (flat) top washer if you don't swap to Bones.

It's just different; certainly not as quick as a Thunder or ACE

Out of all the trucks I've tried, for me, they really need a full swap of bushings out of the gate. I ride loose and either Bones Softs or Ace bushings (dual duro, low top, hi bottom) work best for me.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 09:45:32 AM by Xen »

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #191 on: February 28, 2020, 10:25:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, recommend a Bones (flat) top washer if you don't swap to Bones.

It's just different; certainly not as quick as a Thunder or ACE

Out of all the trucks I've tried, for me, they really need a full swap of bushings out of the gate. I ride loose and either Bones Softs or Ace bushings (dual duro, low top, hi bottom) work best for me.

Thanks, appreciate the info.When I got that set of ventures years a ago and wasn't sure if I'd gotten the updated DLX trucks since it seems like an oversight and it'd prevent the truck from turning further out the gates. The fix seems simple enough with a flat washer though. I just remember leaning as hard as I could without tipping on 2 wheels and never being able to turn as much as I liked compared to other trucks. The titanium ones seem really good for a tech setup but I get the impression these aren't really the trucks for me.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #192 on: February 28, 2020, 12:43:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Silver tool works decently but those 2 nuts are a bitch. The baseplate is wider than a Thunder one, the riser I had don't sit flush but in too lazy to go to the shop for some new ones.
pretty sure the two nuts make it a man
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

• Rep: 1
« Reply #193 on: February 28, 2020, 01:30:37 PM »
Do ventures still have that problem where the top washer mashes into the hanger when you ride them loose? I had a pair of the high ones after DLX updated them years ago and I was wondering if they ever resolved that?
my 6.1s would bind every now and again but it happened rarely enough that i didn't feel like i had to do anything about it - until i put em on a wider board and could put more force into each turn! still happened rarely but slightly less rarely. just switched out the stock top washers for some bones ones !

I liked how they felt doing flip tricks and grinds but do you guys find that because the WB is far out relative to other trucks, the turn is less deep compared to other trucks?
many trucks have steeper (or am i thinking less steep? :P ) kingpin angles and all that, in addition to their shorter wheelbases !

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #194 on: February 28, 2020, 04:15:56 PM »
Yes the stock washer makes a little scratches in the hangers. It wasn't significant.

I threw out the purple top and put an old cracked up bones bushing with a flat washer from my ace truck.

I would have kept it if it was summer time

That was because of how cold it is out.
(A)pl(E)

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #195 on: February 29, 2020, 11:17:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Do ventures still have that problem where the top washer mashes into the hanger when you ride them loose? I had a pair of the high ones after DLX updated them years ago and I was wondering if they ever resolved that?
[close]
my 6.1s would bind every now and again but it happened rarely enough that i didn't feel like i had to do anything about it - until i put em on a wider board and could put more force into each turn! still happened rarely but slightly less rarely. just switched out the stock top washers for some bones ones !

Expand Quote
I liked how they felt doing flip tricks and grinds but do you guys find that because the WB is far out relative to other trucks, the turn is less deep compared to other trucks?
[close]
many trucks have steeper (or am i thinking less steep? :P ) kingpin angles and all that, in addition to their shorter wheelbases !

Thanks for the info, when you say bind, do you mean the bushings just aren't rebounding, or that the old, non-bones, washer was catching in there and causing stuff to get stuck?

Yes the stock washer makes a little scratches in the hangers. It wasn't significant.

I threw out the purple top and put an old cracked up bones bushing with a flat washer from my ace truck.

Gotcha thanks

You guys know if venture has updated the geo on the new wider models (5.8 and 6.1) since the dlx change? I guess I just don't get the hype since to me they felt like a truck that couldn't turn despite doing other things pretty well. Granted I didn't swap out bushings when I had some 5.2 highs

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #196 on: February 29, 2020, 11:31:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks for the info, when you say bind, do you mean the bushings just aren't rebounding, or that the old, non-bones, washer was catching in there and causing stuff to get stuck?

Expand Quote

[close]

Gotcha thanks

You guys know if venture has updated the geo on the new wider models (5.8 and 6.1) since the dlx change? I guess I just don't get the hype since to me they felt like a truck that couldn't turn despite doing other things pretty well. Granted I didn't swap out bushings when I had some 5.2 highs
I dont know if they changed anything for sure, but I can tell you that the 5.8s I have now just feel like a wider version of the Venture 5.0s and 5.2s I skated many years ago. They certainly do not turn like Indys or Thunders, but that never bothered me because I ride fairly tight trucks anyway. Maybe the hype is because people just like the stability of them that you really don't get with some other brands.

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #197 on: February 29, 2020, 12:13:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Gotcha thanks

[close]
I dont know if they changed anything for sure, but I can tell you that the 5.8s I have now just feel like a wider version of the Venture 5.0s and 5.2s I skated many years ago. They certainly do not turn like Indys or Thunders, but that never bothered me because I ride fairly tight trucks anyway. Maybe the hype is because people just like the stability of them that you really don't get with some other brands.

Yeah that's definitely fair, I generally ride loose so it's just a personal preference thing. Wasn't sure if the new wider ones were somehow different, thanks for clarifying.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #198 on: February 29, 2020, 12:22:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Gotcha thanks

[close]
[close]

Yeah that's definitely fair, I generally ride loose so it's just a personal preference thing. Wasn't sure if the new wider ones were somehow different, thanks for clarifying.
Np man, maybe some loose truck guys that ride Venture's will give you whole different opinion.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #199 on: February 29, 2020, 01:27:51 PM »
So you guys got me now interested in ventures. Specifically because of the "explosive pop". I ride Indys since 4 years. I like loose and surfy turns.
What could I expect if I switch to ventures and which ones would you recommend for 8.125 decks?
Thanks in advance pals.

IG: @flowterspace

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #200 on: February 29, 2020, 01:30:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Gotcha thanks

[close]
[close]

[close]
Np man, maybe some loose truck guys that ride Venture's will give you whole different opinion.

I ride very loose trucks. I'm thinking about flipping my top bolt even to get a little more.

With the ace 44 I had a stock bottom and a bones top I rode them very loose on an 8.5 with a 14.5 wb.

The venture 5.6 I have the stock purple barrels with cracked bones tops with the flat washer on an 8.25 with a little less than 14.25 wb.

Its basically the same except I'm more stable when I land in my board.

At the ledge and flat bar the venture beats the ace for crooks etc. Manny tricks. Ace at first but now it's the same.

Shallow end of the bowl or tight tranny ace will always win against any truck. Same with pool coping. Nothing can hang with ace and indy.
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #201 on: February 29, 2020, 01:32:40 PM »
So you guys got me now interested in ventures. Specifically because of the "explosive pop". I ride Indys since 4 years. I like loose and surfy turns.
What could I expect if I switch to ventures and which ones would you recommend for 8.125 decks?
Thanks in advance pals.

5.2 or 5.6 high.

What decks do you like.
(A)pl(E)

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #202 on: February 29, 2020, 01:44:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Thanks in advance pals.
[close]

5.2 or 5.6 high.

What decks do you like.

My last 4 decks were all crail, next one will be a AWS. I like 14 - 14.25 WB.
IG: @flowterspace

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #203 on: February 29, 2020, 02:01:31 PM »
Thanks in advance pals.
I had 5.2 (8")Venture's on a 8.125 and did not like it. So maybe 5.6 (8 1/4")Venture's would be good for 8.1's. But I seem to like a little more truck. I currently have 5.8 on a 8.25 and absolutely love it. I always go for 14 1/4" WB if that helps at all.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 02:04:03 PM by Seventyfrigginseven »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #204 on: February 29, 2020, 02:09:50 PM »
I’m sizing down from 8.25 to 8, so I’m going to finally get to skate my set of 5.2 hollow lows that I’ve had for years but barely ever touched. 

Hope they are still as awesome as I remember.

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Roger Mexico

• Rep: 22
« Reply #205 on: February 29, 2020, 02:15:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He was riding ventures in the late-90s Chocolate Tour era. Check out some of those classic Fourstar sequence ads. I don't think he's ever been tied to a truck company for very long.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #206 on: February 29, 2020, 02:30:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks in advance pals.
[close]

5.2 or 5.6 high.

What decks do you like.
[close]

My last 4 decks were all crail, next one will be a AWS. I like 14 - 14.25 WB.

yeah It depends on if you planning on moving around width wise. I would get 5.2s if I wasn't going bigger than like 8.125 without adding washers.

If you get the 5 6 its not like you can make it skinnier.
(A)pl(E)

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #207 on: February 29, 2020, 03:32:11 PM »
I’m sizing down from 8.25 to 8, so I’m going to finally get to skate my set of 5.2 hollow lows that I’ve had for years but barely ever touched. 

Please report back if you don't mind. I recently set up a 8 and I had 5.2 mids on it, and I did not like them at all. I was going to replace them with 5.2 hollow lows but I bought Indy 139 hollows instead. Which is kind of funny because I am just now (after decades of riding Venture's) trying out Indys while alot of people are running from them. My other/bigger setup has Venture's and that will never change.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 03:34:38 PM by Seventyfrigginseven »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #208 on: February 29, 2020, 05:21:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Please report back if you don't mind. I recently set up a 8 and I had 5.2 mids on it, and I did not like them at all. I was going to replace them with 5.2 hollow lows but I bought Indy 139 hollows instead. Which is kind of funny because I am just now (after decades of riding Venture's) trying out Indys while alot of people are running from them. My other/bigger setup has Venture's and that will never change.

I’m the same way: was always a Venture guy but Indy 144’s have been my go-to the past year or so.

I’ll let ‘cha know how the lows work out. 

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #209 on: February 29, 2020, 06:00:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
pretty sure the two nuts make it a man

g'nard