Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 349347 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #360 on: March 31, 2020, 07:27:50 PM »
Can you buy bones washers by themselves? Using with stock bushings better off?

Dude asking the real questions here!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

legion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #361 on: March 31, 2020, 07:53:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think I geeked on it in another thread. They look like shim washers to me.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #362 on: March 31, 2020, 07:57:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
which? Yeah they do. I’m just a stock bushing + washer ride em and break em in type, but willing to try during these times

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #363 on: March 31, 2020, 08:36:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
which? Yeah they do. I’m just a stock bushing + washer ride em and break em in type, but willing to try during these times
https://www.mcmaster.com/92217a520 pretty thin

https://www.mcmaster.com/93320a300 1/8" thick

https://www.mcmaster.com/shim-rings Search by ID, speedrings in here too
https://www.mcmaster.com/92668a195 Not cheap

https://www.mcmaster.com/shoulder-screw-shims Speedrings here

Before all this corona mess I'd planned on checking my local Ace and then an industrial hardware store.
I should also get some Bones bushings for reference..
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 09:01:02 PM by legion »

PeskOne

• Rep: 10
  • Skateboarding: Only drug worth the side effects.
« Reply #364 on: April 01, 2020, 03:59:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Venture heads :

Is there any noticeable difference in geo between 5.6 and 5.8?

Aside from weight and wheel base is there a general preference of v-lights or regular cast?

I have some 149 Indy’s and I sized down to 8.25 decks and 149s feel great on it but I’m wanting set up a tech board  so was thinking 5.6 on 8.25. Plus I wanna try venture but don’t know what would be the best choice to get my feet wet with. Out of v light reg and 5.6 or 5.8
[close]

Unless you are all about weight savings I would start with the standard cast. I was running polished 5.6 cast for a while and they did everything I needed and didn't feel that much heavier coming from hollow light thunders.
[close]

I've running a set of 5.6 V-hollows (forged plate, hollow pin and axles) and have some 5.6 V-lites (forged plates hollow pins) on my kids boards, before setting them all up, holding them in hand the weight savings is negligible.

I like light setups so the 5.6 V-Hollows was the obvious choice for me; would have gone ti if they were available...but that's me, I don't think the weight savings for ti is THAT great against a hollow, unless we're talking Indys or anything at 8.5/149 or above....noticeable in hand but once they're setup...meh
[close]

Is the extended wheel base the forge base plates give you any noticeable issues? Cause I’m kinda leaning towards 5.6 v-lights(even though I do kinda like 8.5 trucks on 8.25 deck) but the extra length is what’s kinda getting me shook.
I have ordered 5.6 venture v light for my 8 flip board, and then i will swith to my primitive 8.125 when flip board is wrecked. Did you do tricks and shit with the 8.25 board and 149 indys? Because i have seen alot of people who ride wider trucks but just crusing. So im a bit worried cuz i want to do tech and also want stability. But i usally dont like 8 trucks. But im starting to think i made a mistake, that thunder 8 trucks are the best 8 truck out there. Wahtever will skate these for a good minute and after that consider if i want 8 ventures with 8 board. Thunders are okay 8 trucks to but i just like wider for the extra grind space and for the feeling of wider trucks always feels better to ride and adds to confidence.
Skateboarding an addiction stronger than Heroin.

PeskOne

« Reply #365 on: April 01, 2020, 05:27:59 AM »
I would say anything 14-14.38 would be a good wheelbase with venture depending on preference of course. Any higher than that would be crazy long! I have every model of venture except the hollows but I’m sure they are great. Been banging raw ventures and titaniums in my 2 current setups. I’m also on 8-8.25 like you so venture is great trust me :)
Are you skating 5.6 or 5.2 with your 8.0 to 8.25 boards? I got the 5.6 for my 8 board and next board i have is a primitive 14 wb, 8.125. Im really really crious and OCDed about this. Mayby should i have bought 5.2. Im thinking of mayby grind down my axels on the 5.6 just a tiny tiny bit so they fit 8 boards better and 8.125. If there is room for it with the wheels going on with the nuts all the way in. Wouldnt do it myself, i would go to some blacksmith or ask my dad he knows how to do these things right. Or its a bad idéa? Ocourse i wouldnt do it right away would skate with them alot first. Sorry for moaning about this everywere on the forum. Truck nerd and only have OCD when it comes to skateboard.  ;D

Edit: I forget to say that i dont have the trucks yet, ordered from Germany or mayby it was UK. And im a bit afraid they wont come anyway soon cause of corona and shit. But i think they said on their webside skatedeluxe. Dont worry stay at home we still send out products, but mayby they ment only in their country.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:39:58 AM by PeskOne »

shawngreg

• Rep: 64
« Reply #366 on: April 01, 2020, 06:02:54 AM »

the other dude above a few posts kind of answered the solo washer question.  i personally like the feeling of the stock bushings as opposed to fully going with the bones set.  one thing worth noting is that i did have to tighten my trucks after i swapped.  when i was riding the bushings totally stock i was maybe 2 turns from the kingpin being flush, once i put the bones washer on, i tightened them up to actually be flush

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #367 on: April 01, 2020, 06:30:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
the other dude above a few posts kind of answered the solo washer question.  i personally like the feeling of the stock bushings as opposed to fully going with the bones set.  one thing worth noting is that i did have to tighten my trucks after i swapped.  when i was riding the bushings totally stock i was maybe 2 turns from the kingpin being flush, once i put the bones washer on, i tightened them up to actually be flush
yeah that’s how I am now with stock. 200 lbs I don’t like em too loose. Thanks

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #368 on: April 01, 2020, 06:31:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Looks like they might be bringing back 6 hole baseplates

[close]

that's re drilled I have the a 6 hole plate still. Its not like that.
Why would Koston redrill his baseplate?? Smaller WB?

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #369 on: April 01, 2020, 07:02:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Venture heads :

Aside from weight and wheel base is there a general preference of v-lights or regular cast?

I have some 149 Indy’s and I sized down to 8.25 decks and 149s feel great on it but I’m wanting set up a tech board  so was thinking 5.6 on 8.25. Plus I wanna try venture but don’t know what would be the best choice to get my feet wet with. Out of v light reg and 5.6 or 5.8
[close]

Unless you are all about weight savings I would start with the standard cast. I was running polished 5.6 cast for a while and they did everything I needed and didn't feel that much heavier coming from hollow light thunders.
[close]

I've running a set of 5.6 V-hollows (forged plate, hollow pin and axles) and have some 5.6 V-lites (forged plates hollow pins) on my kids boards, before setting them all up, holding them in hand the weight savings is negligible.

I like light setups so the 5.6 V-Hollows was the obvious choice for me; would have gone ti if they were available...but that's me, I don't think the weight savings for ti is THAT great against a hollow, unless we're talking Indys or anything at 8.5/149 or above....noticeable in hand but once they're setup...meh
[close]

Is the extended wheel base the forge base plates give you any noticeable issues? Cause I’m kinda leaning towards 5.6 v-lights(even though I do kinda like 8.5 trucks on 8.25 deck) but the extra length is what’s kinda getting me shook.
[close]
I have ordered 5.6 venture v light for my 8 flip board, and then i will swith to my primitive 8.125 when flip board is wrecked. Did you do tricks and shit with the 8.25 board and 149 indys? Because i have seen alot of people who ride wider trucks but just crusing. So im a bit worried cuz i want to do tech and also want stability. But i usally dont like 8 trucks. But im starting to think i made a mistake, that thunder 8 trucks are the best 8 truck out there. Wahtever will skate these for a good minute and after that consider if i want 8 ventures with 8 board. Thunders are okay 8 trucks to but i just like wider for the extra grind space and for the feeling of wider trucks always feels better to ride and adds to confidence.
I had the 5.6 on both and 8 and a 8.1 and it’s fine. I preferred it over the 5.2 and I skated them both back to back.
149 is fine for 8.25 and 8.25 is more than fine for 8.1

I did not feel any advantage for tricks on the smaller trucks and I felt less consistent on grinds because I never would lock on straight against the wheel . Maybe tre flips were a tiny bit easier but nothing that would warrant a smaller truck when I much preferred the 5.6
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 07:06:11 AM by Esmith5488 »

PeskOne

« Reply #370 on: April 01, 2020, 07:05:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Venture heads :

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
I had the 5.6 on both and 8 and a 8.1 and it’s fine. I preferred it over the 5.2 and I skated them both back to back.

Okay thanks exactly the answer i needed. I wont worry more about it!

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #371 on: April 01, 2020, 07:30:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah, having a truck where you can change the WB to shorted up the tail or lengthen up the nose or whatever.

That being said, I think him trying a manufactured sample of an adjustable WB truck makes a lot more sense than him re-drilling a standard. He owns Numbers and could easily get multiple boards in the same shape with a different WB, which would make a lot more sense than going through the trouble of drilling 4 new holes in each baseplate. Who knows though.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #372 on: April 01, 2020, 07:49:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm guessing kingpin position more than wb but could be a combination..

That's the reason venture turn this way is the axle is above the bolts and the kingpin angle is more vertical and centered in the plate.

This pretty much porked the venture. Respect to koston for being a truck nerd. I never liked his sk
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #373 on: April 01, 2020, 07:54:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Venture heads :

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

Okay thanks exactly the answer i needed. I wont worry more about it!

Can't wait for my 5.6 V-Hollow to come in later this month. 5.8 on a Primitive 8.25 felt stable but the added weight and width made the board too clunky for me. 5.2 on a 8" with a 14" WB was a great combination in terms of having a nimble board but still a touch too small for tricks where I wanted more real estate like BS Smiths. 5.6 is the sweet spot IMO. I think it really comes down to what Forged and Cast baseplates will affect your WB.

I would be the first one to order Venture 5.6 Lo in all variations if and when they get launched, hell I would even pay full price!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #374 on: April 01, 2020, 08:02:44 AM »
Must fight the urge to rag on kooks board selection.
(A)pl(E)

sadnocomply

• Rep: 117
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #375 on: April 01, 2020, 11:56:21 AM »
Expand Quote
I would say anything 14-14.38 would be a good wheelbase with venture depending on preference of course. Any higher than that would be crazy long! I have every model of venture except the hollows but I’m sure they are great. Been banging raw ventures and titaniums in my 2 current setups. I’m also on 8-8.25 like you so venture is great trust me :)
[close]
Are you skating 5.6 or 5.2 with your 8.0 to 8.25 boards? I got the 5.6 for my 8 board and next board i have is a primitive 14 wb, 8.125. Im really really crious and OCDed about this. Mayby should i have bought 5.2. Im thinking of mayby grind down my axels on the 5.6 just a tiny tiny bit so they fit 8 boards better and 8.125. If there is room for it with the wheels going on with the nuts all the way in. Wouldnt do it myself, i would go to some blacksmith or ask my dad he knows how to do these things right. Or its a bad idéa? Ocourse i wouldnt do it right away would skate with them alot first. Sorry for moaning about this everywere on the forum. Truck nerd and only have OCD when it comes to skateboard.  ;D

Edit: I forget to say that i dont have the trucks yet, ordered from Germany or mayby it was UK. And im a bit afraid they wont come anyway soon cause of corona and shit. But i think they said on their webside skatedeluxe. Dont worry stay at home we still send out products, but mayby they ment only in their country.

Yeah it all depends what I wanna skate, if I need a quick tech/ledge/line I go 5.2 with 8.1 and if I’m trying to huck I go 5.6 and 8.25

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #376 on: April 01, 2020, 04:20:42 PM »
I suggest that anyone who likes flip ins to try a magic carpet set up.

Back when I had the power to flip in to whatever ledge basic I had on lock my preference was the smallest thunders with an 1/8 riser and a squashed dook? foam riser. I have no idea what the deal was with that after market piece? Free is free

I forgot the number of the thunder low but they fit an 7.5 flush on the rail (primo) I still got a set

I started using whatever was at the shop that was between 7.75 and 8" at first because no one wanted a big ass very board except the homie Ian

I learned all my flip in basics on that type of set up because i think more grip faster flip.
Smaller truck faster flip.

Magic carpet is something I think tech guys sleep on. You can run a wheel over 44mm
(A)pl(E)

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #377 on: April 01, 2020, 04:40:50 PM »
I have a 8.125 primitive 14” wheelbase with venture 5.6 v hollows forged baseplate Setup

Rides very good

Trucks turn decently, close to Indy but not as deep and sharp

But like a straighter stable Indy

I think I said it before, venture hi feel like indys trying to turn and be stable like thunders

Goes half and half on each trucks characteristics

yes

sadnocomply

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #378 on: April 01, 2020, 08:06:00 PM »
Lotta good venture threads on tactics 20%off right now, go cop!

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #379 on: April 01, 2020, 09:45:26 PM »
Lotta good venture threads on tactics 20%off right now, go cop!

Unfortunately those are the 5.0 and 5.8. Should have gotten a pair of 5.6 a few weeks ago when Ambush and Socal were offering 15% off.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 10:48:14 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sadnocomply

« Reply #380 on: April 01, 2020, 10:21:00 PM »
Threads

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #381 on: April 02, 2020, 04:55:03 PM »
I've had 2 sessions on my 6.1's.  Dead stock.

I agree with Rob that they're like a toss up between Indy and Thunder.  I really like the stability, while still being able to turn where I want for the most part.  And to me, they don't wheelbite as much as Thunder.  Granted, I don't skate tranny at all.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #382 on: April 02, 2020, 07:15:29 PM »
I've had 2 sessions on my 6.1's.  Dead stock.

I agree with Rob that they're like a toss up between Indy and Thunder.  I really like the stability, while still being able to turn where I want for the most part.  And to me, they don't wheelbite as much as Thunder.  Granted, I don't skate tranny at all.

I see Thunders as being the middle truck, between Indy and Thunder. Get the balance of WB lengthening, turning and pnch, but compromise on slide.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #383 on: April 03, 2020, 02:47:56 AM »
I wish venture would make an all hollow truck with the standard team baseplates.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #384 on: April 03, 2020, 05:39:37 AM »
I wish venture would make an all hollow truck with the standard team baseplates.
Same here. For some reason I though that they did

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #385 on: April 03, 2020, 09:58:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

And make it available in a 5.6
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sadnocomply

« Reply #386 on: April 03, 2020, 10:07:50 AM »
Rocking a titanium hanger (5.6) on a cast plate right now. Pretty dreamy setup

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #387 on: April 03, 2020, 10:34:07 AM »
how much heavier/taller is the cast plate than the forged? I know the forged plate is lower and stretches the wb a bit but how noticeable a difference is it in comparison? My forged plates feel p good

sadnocomply

« Reply #388 on: April 03, 2020, 10:41:04 AM »
Gotta be 1.5 mm like other cast v forged I’m assuming. I don’t notice much difference but I like the extra heft of the cast plate and solid kingpin. I have all my forged plates for my 14wb boards. Cast on 14.2 or up!

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #389 on: April 03, 2020, 12:00:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

And make it available in a 5.6