Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 349734 times)

Seventyfrigginseven

Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #480 on: April 23, 2020, 09:12:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Shit. One of the reasons I moved from Indy to venture is I felt like I was ghost popping way too much on indys.

^So based on that logic, if I rode Indys with no fingers of flat, would I experience less ghost pop on Indys?
[close]
In my experience my best bet is Ventures with a board that has the flat and a shorter wb. Indys with a board that has little or no flat with a longer wb.
[close]
What boards have you found to have that combo? For ventures I mean. Can’t really go into my local atm
I recently had a Traffic 8.25 with a 14.25 wb and some flat before the kicks with Ventures and the pop of my flip tricks felt like I was young again.. Now I have a Zero 8.5 with a 14.5 wb, no flat area and steep kicks and Ventures were horrible on it as expected. I put indys on and its perfect.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #481 on: April 23, 2020, 10:02:57 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just didn’t want to try something on my own that would mess up the finish. Seems like any of those methods should work. Appreciated.  8)

After reading/replying I went back at them with regular steel wool. Took that shit right off under 20 seconds no major finish damage (they're going to get wrecked anyway).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 10:10:53 AM by Xen »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #482 on: April 23, 2020, 10:19:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Shit. One of the reasons I moved from Indy to venture is I felt like I was ghost popping way too much on indys.

^So based on that logic, if I rode Indys with no fingers of flat, would I experience less ghost pop on Indys?
[close]
In my experience my best bet is Ventures with a board that has the flat and a shorter wb. Indys with a board that has little or no flat with a longer wb.
[close]
What boards have you found to have that combo? For ventures I mean. Can’t really go into my local atm
[close]
I recently had a Traffic 8.25 with a 14.25 wb and some flat before the kicks with Ventures and the pop of my flip tricks felt like I was young again.. Now I have a Zero 8.5 with a 14.5 wb, no flat area and steep kicks and Ventures were horrible on it as expected. I put indys on and its perfect.

I think the 14.5" WB paired with Ventures is the real problem vs. Steep kicks/no flat and Venture but that's jsut my experience on long wheelbases and flip tricks, they just take so much effort and feel like they're in slow motion.

That said, I do prefer more flat with Ventures.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 840
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #483 on: April 23, 2020, 10:46:00 AM »
would i like forged ventures with a 14.25 WB? does that make the axle to axle wb too long and rotational tricks too slow? looking to retry ventures in a lighter version since the 6.1s i ran were too heavy for my liking to review them properly. just dont want to spend for titaniums and hate them immediately
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #484 on: April 23, 2020, 10:52:30 AM »
would i like forged ventures with a 14.25 WB? does that make the axle to axle wb too long and rotational tricks too slow? looking to retry ventures in a lighter version since the 6.1s i ran were too heavy for my liking to review them properly. just dont want to spend for titaniums and hate them immediately

people seem to dislike forged ventures on wheelbases of that length but its fine for me. I can do up to 14.38 pretty comfortably, then again I came from longer wheelbases on other trucks originally and for me I have no issue with scooping for rotational tricks and often over rotate if the board is too short

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #485 on: April 23, 2020, 10:56:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

people seem to dislike forged ventures on wheelbases of that length but its fine for me. I can do up to 14.38 pretty comfortably, then again I came from longer wheelbases on other trucks originally and for me I have no issue with scooping for rotational tricks and often over rotate if the board is too short
are ventures good with short tails? thats the other thing i forgot to include
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Esmith5488

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #486 on: April 23, 2020, 10:58:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
are ventures good with short tails? thats the other thing i forgot to include
Shortest tail I’ve used with ventures is 6.5 and it was fine

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #487 on: April 23, 2020, 11:00:36 AM »
Please tell me that Ventures suck at the begining and then they are good...so far I hate mine
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #488 on: April 23, 2020, 11:05:01 AM »
Please tell me that Ventures suck at the begining and then they are good...so far I hate mine

All about the wb for me.
And removing the top washer.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #489 on: April 23, 2020, 11:12:04 AM »

The shorter the better. I've ridden on 14.25 and 14.125 and 14" I wouldn't go any longer than the 14.25. I find the sweet spot for me is the 14.125" WB - but we're talking such a tiny amount between the three listed.

My Venturestein truck setup is really working for me now, very comfortable, low, stable and swervey

sadnocomply

• Rep: 117
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #490 on: April 23, 2020, 01:35:29 PM »
For me it’s 14.25 wheelbase max on venture. They really shine on 14-14.25 with about 2 fingers of flat cast or forged plates. Too many fingers of flat between kicks? Use a forged baseplate. Not enough fingers of flat or the perfect amount? Cast baseplate. I had to do some mixing and matching to find my perfect combo, but I have the prod 5.6 titanium hanger like y’all above but I run it with a cast baseplate from a worrest set. I’m running it on 14.25 wheelbase quasi with mellow kicks 2 fingers of flat. Love everything about this setup.

Still looking for the perfect 8.1 board for my 5.2 hi’s though, gotta be less than 31.8 length with a 14-14.125 wheelbase and nice square kicks/a good 2 fingers of flat. FA makes a good 8.1 but the kicks can be too extreme sometimes. And I actually don’t like the quasi 8.1 too much haha

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #491 on: April 23, 2020, 04:16:29 PM »
For me it’s 14.25 wheelbase max on venture. They really shine on 14-14.25 with about 2 fingers of flat cast or forged plates. Too many fingers of flat between kicks? Use a forged baseplate. Not enough fingers of flat or the perfect amount? Cast baseplate. I had to do some mixing and matching to find my perfect combo, but I have the prod 5.6 titanium hanger like y’all above but I run it with a cast baseplate from a worrest set. I’m running it on 14.25 wheelbase quasi with mellow kicks 2 fingers of flat. Love everything about this setup.

Still looking for the perfect 8.1 board for my 5.2 hi’s though, gotta be less than 31.8 length with a 14-14.125 wheelbase and nice square kicks/a good 2 fingers of flat. FA makes a good 8.1 but the kicks can be too extreme sometimes. And I actually don’t like the quasi 8.1 too much haha

I run my Ventures on Primitive decks (currently 8.125x31.75x14.1WB) as it has mellow kicks and 2 fingers of flat, perfect fit and feel). However, it is not square/blunt kicks tho, (Quasi proto or FA/WKND style; 8.125" quasi is round no? That's what they told me in email, plus it's 14.25") but it's got the dims I want and I can't find what you are looking for either, I've been trying.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #492 on: April 23, 2020, 07:35:55 PM »

Truth! 14 - 14.25 is where I draw the line with Ventures. Truck weight to a lesser degree, recently tried 5.8 standards with a Real 8.18 x 31.8 x 14.38 and it was heavy as fuck.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #493 on: April 24, 2020, 10:28:44 AM »
So my Venture experience hasn't been good so far.
I was already aware of the design fail regarding front bolts but this is ridiculous:

Also I remember reading that the top washer hits the hanger but never expected that it would be this bad after literally 5 minutes skating:

Thankfully I was able to remove that damn red color on the baseplate but now pivot cups look weird:

At least they look way better now but I'm not looking forward to try Venture again for sure. Maybe they need a little more time to feel good? Let's see.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

sadnocomply

« Reply #494 on: April 24, 2020, 10:42:28 AM »
I was already aware of the design fail regarding front bolts but this is ridiculous:

Also I remember reading that the top washer hits the hanger but never expected that it would be this bad after literally 5 minutes skating:

Thankfully I was able to remove that damn red color on the baseplate but now pivot cups look weird:

At least they look way better now but I'm not looking to try Venture again for sure. Maybe they need a little more time to broke in? Let's see.

Hahaha I’m laughing with you not at you trust me I have the same pair of trucks. I always remove the hanger before mounting baseplates with ventures it’s so much easier for me. That pivot cup looks trash though I would maybe try to swap em out with a spare if you have one, my pivot cup never stuck out that much but I’ve had some shitty ones on brand new ventures don’t get me wrong. Maybe do a little soap under the pivot cup and mash it down into place if possible? As far as the top washer binding the hanger that’s just the stability factor and what’s limiting the max turn on the trucks they are designed that way for stability I assume. Most people switch to a flat top washer or remove it completely. I leave mine stock and have no issues once bushings and pivots are completely broken in.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #495 on: April 24, 2020, 10:45:49 AM »
Expand Quote

At least they look way better now but I'm not looking to try Venture again for sure. Maybe they need a little more time to broke in? Let's see.

[close]
Hahaha I’m laughing with you not at you trust me I have the same pair of trucks. I always remove the hanger before mounting baseplates with ventures it’s so much easier for me. That pivot cup looks trash though I would maybe try to swap em out with a spare if you have one, my pivot cup never stuck out that much but I’ve had some shitty ones on brand new ventures don’t get me wrong. Maybe do a little soap under the pivot cup and mash it down into place if possible? As far as the top washer binding the hanger that’s just the stability factor and what’s limiting the max turn on the trucks they are designed that way for stability I assume. Most people switch to a flat top washer or remove it completely. I leave mine stock and have no issues once bushings and pivots are completely broken in.
I got some spare pivot cups but I want to see if the stock ones work fine, I don't mind the silly look that much.
Regarding the top washer if I can't get used to Venture I'll leave them without the washer and throw the trucks into a second setup.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

TokyoBoyzClub

• Rep: -1
« Reply #496 on: April 24, 2020, 10:47:50 AM »

At least they look way better now but I'm not looking forward to try Venture again for sure. Maybe they need a little more time to feel good? Let's see.
What'd you use to remove the red? I got some new P-Rod Titanium's with gold base plates and I hate it. Havne't put them on yet since I"m stuck inside, but if there's something easy, I can do it while stuck inside. Thanks!

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #497 on: April 24, 2020, 11:00:34 AM »
after a while that washer will groove into the trucks and free up the turn. warm weather, slappys and bombing hills should free them up a bit. they end up turning on par with everything else after a while, definitely super stiff at first though, I shaved wax into the pivot cups and that helped make them feel more comfortable when they got looser.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #498 on: April 24, 2020, 11:19:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
What'd you use to remove the red? I got some new P-Rod Titanium's with gold base plates and I hate it. Havne't put them on yet since I"m stuck inside, but if there's something easy, I can do it while stuck inside. Thanks!
Paint remover but that thing is super toxic. Use with goggles and gloves.
I used a brush after leaving then like for 6 hours
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

sadnocomply

« Reply #499 on: April 24, 2020, 11:27:08 AM »
after a while that washer will groove into the trucks and free up the turn. warm weather, slappys and bombing hills should free them up a bit. they end up turning on par with everything else after a while, definitely super stiff at first though, I shaved wax into the pivot cups and that helped make them feel more comfortable when they got looser.
Yessir I think I’m at that point with all my venture sets. Break in period can be brutal for some but I think the venture transition from always being an indy rider was super smooth for me. Got all mine nice and pinchy and carvy like my old indys felt. Some fat slappys, powerslides, pole jams, & hell just carving will free those babies up. Breaking in trucks is lame let’s all admit it. But once it’s good ooooohhhhh boi do I get excited.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #500 on: April 24, 2020, 11:35:51 AM »
Mo

Yeah they break in. And turn very well.

People put shit on, pop an ollie/roll around for a day, and be like ‘nah’.
Ventures definitely take time to break in, or just use bones bushings. Way less break in, but the bones don’t last all that long for me.

Ventures do have a different turn than Indy/ace tho, obviously.

street noledge

• Rep: 1
« Reply #501 on: April 24, 2020, 03:40:12 PM »
sssss
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 10:52:11 AM by street noledge »

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #502 on: April 24, 2020, 04:11:12 PM »
Ok, rode featherlights in the 90's because my indy's were too heavy for my middleschool bod.

Switched to Indy's once I became a man, and then pretty recently tried Ace, so I am very used to the surfey turn, but it also gets a tad bit too wild at times.

Now want to join the Venture revival bandwagon, and will definitely be switching bushings on sight, but my question is do I get 5.6 Highs or Lows?

All that shit boggles my mind. Will be riding an 8.25 with 14.25 WB, but I'm sure I will be riding the ventures loose as fuck, and I ride 52-53MM wheels. Trying to avoid wheelbite, but still turn.

So high's or low's? I just want my flip tricks to return to my standards.
5.6 only comes in hi

street noledge

• Rep: 1
« Reply #503 on: April 24, 2020, 04:24:01 PM »
Ok, rode featherlights in the 90's because my indy's were too heavy for my middleschool bod.

Switched to Indy's once I became a man.

Now want to join the Venture revival bandwagon, and will definitely be switching bushings on sight, but my question is do I get 5.6 Highs or Lows?

All that shit boggles my mind. Will be riding an 8.25 with 14.25 WB, but I'm sure I will be riding the ventures loose as fuck, and I ride 52-53MM wheels. Trying to avoid wheelbite, but still turn.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 08:18:26 AM by street noledge »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #504 on: April 24, 2020, 06:16:46 PM »
after a while that washer will groove into the trucks and free up the turn.

It's the single best improvement you can make to them once you set them up...

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #505 on: April 24, 2020, 08:02:15 PM »
Expand Quote

Switched to Indy's once I became a man, and then pretty recently tried Ace, so I am very used to the surfey turn, but it also gets a tad bit too wild at times.

[close]
5.6 only comes in hi

I've heard a low is available. Or soon to be available
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #506 on: April 25, 2020, 10:09:13 AM »
Just use steel wool or a wet sanding block to remove truck colors/graphics
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #507 on: April 25, 2020, 12:43:44 PM »
PRod Ti with the graphic removed via steel wool, you can still see some of the gold on the left side of the V 'crease' on the hanger.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #508 on: April 26, 2020, 03:09:35 AM »
Just set up some ace bushings (standard bottom, low top) with those muir machined washers with the metal inserts Xen had a few pages before. Haven't been able to skate yet but initial impression is good, the lean feels smooth and quiet and the bushings are noticeably better quality than stock. You definitely need the ace low top bushings as the normal ace ones are way too tall. But while the standard ace bottoms fit, the ace lows also seem to fit, and actually were exactly the same height as my stock bushings which have probably been compressed quite a bit from use. So not sure whether the low or standard ace bottom would be better, going with standard for now

My only concern is that the ace bushings seem to have an ever so slightly bigger diameter than the stocks and the diameter of the washers is a hair smaller than the diameter of the side of the bushing that touches the washer. This makes me a bit worried about the bushing bulging over the washer with extended use. I ride my trucks probably a solid medium, slightly loose so not sure how thats going to affect things either.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 03:21:10 AM by tzhangdox »

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #509 on: April 26, 2020, 07:35:10 AM »
Just set up some ace bushings (standard bottom, low top) with those muir machined washers with the metal inserts Xen had a few pages before. Haven't been able to skate yet but initial impression is good, the lean feels smooth and quiet and the bushings are noticeably better quality than stock. You definitely need the ace low top bushings as the normal ace ones are way too tall. But while the standard ace bottoms fit, the ace lows also seem to fit, and actually were exactly the same height as my stock bushings which have probably been compressed quite a bit from use. So not sure whether the low or standard ace bottom would be better, going with standard for now

My only concern is that the ace bushings seem to have an ever so slightly bigger diameter than the stocks and the diameter of the washers is a hair smaller than the diameter of the side of the bushing that touches the washer. This makes me a bit worried about the bushing bulging over the washer with extended use. I ride my trucks probably a solid medium, slightly loose so not sure how thats going to affect things either.
i run standard ace bottoms with the stock washer and they bulged through the center hole of the washer after a couple of months. i just flipped them upside down and they feel pretty new again. they fit snug in thunders which have a taller stock bottom bushing than venture, so the low ones might be optimal for you.

if they get a little deformed, flip and forget has worked for me. i dont want to replace these bushings till they crumble

be sure to post your thoughts on that washer. they look interesting but im not completely sold on $20 washers yet
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 07:50:58 AM by off »