Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 349592 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #510 on: April 26, 2020, 09:10:24 AM »
Skates today, my trucks feel a lot nicer and everything felt good.
I'm happy.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #511 on: April 26, 2020, 09:40:24 AM »
I'm happy.

Sick!

spanyard

• Rep: 77
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #512 on: April 26, 2020, 12:20:42 PM »
I'm happy.

👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #513 on: April 26, 2020, 12:28:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Just set up some ace bushings (standard bottom, low top) with those muir machined washers with the metal inserts Xen had a few pages before. Haven't been able to skate yet but initial impression is good, the lean feels smooth and quiet and the bushings are noticeably better quality than stock. You definitely need the ace low top bushings as the normal ace ones are way too tall. But while the standard ace bottoms fit, the ace lows also seem to fit, and actually were exactly the same height as my stock bushings which have probably been compressed quite a bit from use. So not sure whether the low or standard ace bottom would be better, going with standard for now

My only concern is that the ace bushings seem to have an ever so slightly bigger diameter than the stocks and the diameter of the washers is a hair smaller than the diameter of the side of the bushing that touches the washer. This makes me a bit worried about the bushing bulging over the washer with extended use. I ride my trucks probably a solid medium, slightly loose so not sure how thats going to affect things either.
[close]
i run standard ace bottoms with the stock washer and they bulged through the center hole of the washer after a couple of months. i just flipped them upside down and they feel pretty new again. they fit snug in thunders which have a taller stock bottom bushing than venture, so the low ones might be optimal for you.

if they get a little deformed, flip and forget has worked for me. i dont want to replace these bushings till they crumble

be sure to post your thoughts on that washer. they look interesting but im not completely sold on $20 washers yet

Yeah the standard ace bottom is definitely a bit snug but standing on it feels good so I'll just run it until it gets fucked and then switch out to the lows if needed. Damn, I'm a bit worried about the bulging around the perimeter of the bushings now, flat bottom washers are even more susceptible to bushing bulging than cup washers but fingers crossed I guess... it definitely feels good thats for sure.

The washers are good, I ran them with stocks for a few sessions and they feel a bit better turning than stock washers and have a somewhat nice snap back... but they're just fucking washers and spending money on them could have easily made me imagine that.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:50:12 PM by tzhangdox »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #514 on: April 26, 2020, 02:25:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just set up some ace bushings (standard bottom, low top) with those muir machined washers with the metal inserts Xen had a few pages before. Haven't been able to skate yet but initial impression is good, the lean feels smooth and quiet and the bushings are noticeably better quality than stock. You definitely need the ace low top bushings as the normal ace ones are way too tall. But while the standard ace bottoms fit, the ace lows also seem to fit, and actually were exactly the same height as my stock bushings which have probably been compressed quite a bit from use. So not sure whether the low or standard ace bottom would be better, going with standard for now

My only concern is that the ace bushings seem to have an ever so slightly bigger diameter than the stocks and the diameter of the washers is a hair smaller than the diameter of the side of the bushing that touches the washer. This makes me a bit worried about the bushing bulging over the washer with extended use. I ride my trucks probably a solid medium, slightly loose so not sure how thats going to affect things either.
[close]
i run standard ace bottoms with the stock washer and they bulged through the center hole of the washer after a couple of months. i just flipped them upside down and they feel pretty new again. they fit snug in thunders which have a taller stock bottom bushing than venture, so the low ones might be optimal for you.

if they get a little deformed, flip and forget has worked for me. i dont want to replace these bushings till they crumble

be sure to post your thoughts on that washer. they look interesting but im not completely sold on $20 washers yet
[close]

Yeah the standard ace bottom is definitely a bit snug but standing on it feels good so I'll just run it until it gets fucked and then switch out to the lows if needed. Damn, I'm a bit worried about the bulging around the perimeter of the bushings now, flat bottom washers are even more susceptible to bushing bulging than cup washers but fingers crossed I guess... it definitely feels good thats for sure.

The washers are good, I ran them with stocks for a few sessions and they feel a bit better turning than stock washers and have a somewhat nice snap back... but they're just fucking washers and spending money on them could have easily made me imagine that.
hope thats not the case with these riptides coming in but im crossing fingers here

it would be harder to test washers forsure but im interested in your review of you ever do one. up to you or Xen as far as i know
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

sadnocomply

• Rep: 117
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #515 on: April 26, 2020, 02:29:27 PM »
Yep check back with us after some time for those washers and bushings to see how they mesh! Never tried riptides either but always been intrigued

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #516 on: April 26, 2020, 03:44:02 PM »
I usually skate riptide pivot cups if I feel like spending the money on them. They make your trucks a bit less squeaky usually and make the turn a tiny bit smoother as a result but again its only a pretty minor aesthetic difference and definitely won't make you skate better or anything.

One thing about riptide cups for Ventures and Thunders I've noticed is that the pivot cup is a bit taller than the stock one and often sits above the top of the pivot cup hole. a little bit, this can make the top 'lip' of the pivot cup sometimes start to rip and deform a bit. If possible, its best to try and trim it so that it sits completely flush in the pivot hole like the stock ones.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #517 on: April 26, 2020, 07:15:11 PM »
I'm happy.

Did you do anything different with your Ventures to improve the experience? I like 5.2 Los in V-Hollow, 5.8 standards are too heavy for my liking.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #518 on: April 26, 2020, 07:49:26 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm happy.
[close]

Did you do anything different with your Ventures to improve the experience? I like 5.2 Los in V-Hollow, 5.8 standards are too heavy for my liking.
Actually yes, I used paint remover on the baseplate with out taking out the pivot cups. Now they look weird but feel better. Also I stood on my board on a carpet and I was leaning (is that the word?) with all my weight left/right for like 30 minutes.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

shawngreg

• Rep: 64
« Reply #519 on: April 28, 2020, 07:19:55 AM »
^^haha moon i do that at work when i get new trucks.  i have a stand up desk and ill just rock back and forth on the board to try and help the break in process.

anyone have a preference between v-lights and titaniums?  i've heard some people say the titaniums grind 'worse'
any truth to this?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #520 on: April 28, 2020, 07:34:14 AM »
^^haha moon i do that at work when i get new trucks.  i have a stand up desk and ill just rock back and forth on the board to try and help the break in process.

anyone have a preference between v-lights and titaniums?  i've heard some people say the titaniums grind 'worse'
any truth to this?

There isn’t truth to titanium lights grinding worse*, the titanium is in the axle. Not the hanger. You won’t be grinding the titanium part for quite awhile.

* I’ve heard/seen enough people have this opinion that I THINK that maybe what’s happening is that a lighter truck might not grind as well for some people, or might not feel as ‘good’, grinding, as a heavier truck. I’ve never had titanium anything. Hollow light thunders felt a little ‘tinny’ or ‘chattery’ on cement grinds for me. A heavier cast truck felt more dull, and the more weight when grinding was nice. But this is one of those rain man without the talent things.

shawngreg

• Rep: 64
« Reply #521 on: April 28, 2020, 08:11:27 AM »
^^nice, thank you for the insight dude

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #522 on: April 28, 2020, 11:58:22 AM »
Expand Quote

any truth to this?
[close]

There isn’t truth to titanium lights grinding worse*, the titanium is in the axle. Not the hanger. You won’t be grinding the titanium part for quite awhile.

* I’ve heard/seen enough people have this opinion that I THINK that maybe what’s happening is that a lighter truck might not grind as well for some people, or might not feel as ‘good’, grinding, as a heavier truck. I’ve never had titanium anything. Hollow light thunders felt a little ‘tinny’ or ‘chattery’ on cement grinds for me. A heavier cast truck felt more dull, and the more weight when grinding was nice. But this is one of those rain man without the talent things.

It's definitely the truck weight (+Body weight+Speed).

I go fast no matter what (it's fun) and being afflicted with truck madness I have full speed ground the same curbs/ledges (slappies or popped) with a ton of trucking combos and SOLID trucks feel better grinding, i.e., cast plates, solid pin, solid axle) - but that's personal preference.

Tensor ATGs? Grind like butter but feel 'weird' not as raw or guttural on and the grind sensation is lessened (even worse skating them on hollow metal coping, feels bad). Titanium axle trucks feel fine to me tho; hollow thunders like you mentioned feel waaaaay to tinny but you get used to it.

I've never OCD on thunder feel harder than Venture or Indy or whatever the fuck, I'm always going fast enough to not notice (I did have to slow down on the ATGs until I got used to it, then if felt like cheating).

The.Tran.Man

• Rep: -2
« Reply #523 on: April 28, 2020, 12:08:36 PM »
Anyone ride Ventures on decks with steep kicks? Currently running 5.8 stock with the bones top washer on a 8.25 FA deck. I get a little bit of ghost pop on some nollie tricks, but overall they feel fine (maybe its requires more effort to get good pop, but I'm sure that is just a muscle memory issue). Just wanted to hear some thoughts about this bc generally I hear Ventures work best on decks with mellow kicks (my last 2 decks were primitive). Should I just throw my Ace 44's on the FA?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #524 on: April 28, 2020, 12:15:27 PM »
Anyone ride Ventures on decks with steep kicks? Currently running 5.8 stock with the bones top washer on a 8.25 FA deck. I get a little bit of ghost pop on some nollie tricks, but overall they feel fine (maybe its requires more effort to get good pop, but I'm sure that is just a muscle memory issue). Just wanted to hear some thoughts about this bc generally I hear Ventures work best on decks with mellow kicks (my last 2 decks were primitive). Should I just throw my Ace 44's on the FA?

I've had Ventures with forged plates on steep kicks, it was a bit gnarly at first but ended up getting used to it and it was fine. I do think that Ventures tend to work a bit better on medium/mellow ish kicks (at least for me). But I feel like if you've skated Ventures for a while and are used to the feel on mellower kicks, going to Aces which are a very very different truck might mess with you more than Ventures on steeper kicks do.

Easiest fix would probably be smaller wheels, or if you want to change your trucks then maybe Thunders or Indys for a less drastic change... or just get used to it lol

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #525 on: April 28, 2020, 12:42:14 PM »
Currently riding FA with 5.8 casts and am getting more ghost nollies than would on a different deck/truck config... I have to definitely concentrate more on smashing the nose down.

The.Tran.Man

• Rep: -2
« Reply #526 on: April 28, 2020, 12:57:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've had Ventures with forged plates on steep kicks, it was a bit gnarly at first but ended up getting used to it and it was fine. I do think that Ventures tend to work a bit better on medium/mellow ish kicks (at least for me). But I feel like if you've skated Ventures for a while and are used to the feel on mellower kicks, going to Aces which are a very very different truck might mess with you more than Ventures on steeper kicks do.

Easiest fix would probably be smaller wheels, or if you want to change your trucks then maybe Thunders or Indys for a less drastic change... or just get used to it lol

thank you your input. i'll probably just keep running the ventures to get more used to it.
I'm aware of how different Aces are, but I do know that Aces are great on decks with steep kicks.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #527 on: April 28, 2020, 12:58:54 PM »
hardly art, hardly starving

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #528 on: April 28, 2020, 02:15:51 PM »
relevant to this thread's interests: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=110524.msg3279365#new
Did you try to became awake but you preferred to know control?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #529 on: April 28, 2020, 02:49:23 PM »
Expand Quote
relevant to this thread's interests: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=110524.msg3279365#new
[close]
Did you try to became awake but you preferred to know control?

hard to say whether I'll be continuing to fuck the rest or have a preference of knowledge of control or loosely saving lives, or heck, maybe I go with the royal standard or have some good times since 1989
hardly art, hardly starving

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #530 on: April 28, 2020, 05:05:35 PM »
My local shop just got a massive stock up on Venture. I’ve been able to contain the madness because I haven’t seen them in person but the 6.1s look beautiful. How are they for transition/slappies? Coming off Indy/Ace

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #531 on: April 28, 2020, 08:49:00 PM »
Just had a mellow ledge session on my 5.8 v-lights (with those flat washers that have the stem, and riptide pivots) with the ace bushings (low top, standard bottom) and damn, the bushings are good. No squeaking at all, super quiet and turns very smooth.

I don't skate super loose but can definitely see these being very surfy if you do skate loose. But even at my medium to medium loose setting, it felt a little bit turnier than stock without sacrificing stability. Felt like my truck was higher quality if that makes sense. Maybe its because of the fact that its dead silent so no creaking at all.

No sign of the bushings bulging over the flat top and bottom washers either, so far so good. Truck tinkering rarely makes you land tricks better imo. But in this case, though it was likely in my head, I felt a little more centered when popping and it didnt lean on the toes or heels unintentionally.

If you're willing to spend the money because you like to mess with your shit, I'd say its worth it. Definitely makes your trucks feel nicer, but if your trucks were working fine before this, it won't make you actually better at skating by any real margin.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #532 on: April 28, 2020, 08:59:42 PM »
Just had a mellow ledge session on my 5.8 v-lights (with those flat washers that have the stem, and riptide pivots) with the ace bushings (low top, standard bottom) and damn, the bushings are good. No squeaking at all, super quiet and turns very smooth.

I don't skate super loose but can definitely see these being very surfy if you do skate loose. But even at my medium to medium loose setting, it felt a little bit turnier than stock without sacrificing stability. Felt like my truck was higher quality if that makes sense. Maybe its because of the fact that its dead silent so no creaking at all.

No sign of the bushings bulging over the flat top and bottom washers either, so far so good. Truck tinkering rarely makes you land tricks better imo. But in this case, though it was likely in my head, I felt a little more centered when popping and it didnt lean on the toes or heels unintentionally.

If you're willing to spend the money because you like to mess with your shit, I'd say its worth it. Definitely makes your trucks feel nicer, but if your trucks were working fine before this, it won't make you actually better at skating by any real margin.
before i broke in my ace bottoms, i was getting that center deadzone feeling. now that they are semi mushy the feeling is gone. if you can keep that feeling past the break in period ill be fully on board to try those washers
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 09:01:46 PM by off »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #533 on: April 28, 2020, 09:13:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
before i broke in my ace bottoms, i was getting that center deadzone feeling. now that they are semi mushy the feeling is gone. if you can keep that feeling past the break in period ill be fully on board to try those washers

Yeah its likely the washers have something to do with it, hopefully it stays like it is right now because its pretty much perfect. My biggest concerns are bulging and it getting squeaky with time which usually happens to me.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #534 on: April 28, 2020, 09:26:04 PM »
would you still say theyre better than stock though after they started getting mushy

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #535 on: April 28, 2020, 09:48:11 PM »
would you still say theyre better than stock though after they started getting mushy
check your messages i PM'd you

and they are better turn wise but for tricks and setting up, i much rather the deadzone. i cant remember how long that feeling lasted but my skating was great during that stage. i could skate near rattly loose and still be stable when its time to set my feet and pop

next pair i buy, ill gauge it. hopefully theres a trick to keeping them that way without having you buy a new set every month or so

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #536 on: April 29, 2020, 08:33:23 AM »
Anyone experience ventures getting looser as you skate them? I’ve been skating my current set (5.8 standard) for maybe 3 months all stock, started them like 2-3 turns. I tightened them up a few weeks ago and they seem way looser again. No big deal just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience. I go through trucks fast too, already on the axel on the back truck, lot of slappies.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #537 on: April 29, 2020, 08:59:32 AM »
Anyone experience ventures getting looser as you skate them? I’ve been skating my current set (5.8 standard) for maybe 3 months all stock, started them like 2-3 turns. I tightened them up a few weeks ago and they seem way looser again. No big deal just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience. I go through trucks fast too, already on the axel on the back truck, lot of slappies.

Stock bushings? Also have the temps gotten warmer in your area recently?
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #538 on: April 29, 2020, 01:53:42 PM »
I scored a second purple tops from a homie so now I'm running stock  bushing with a flat bones washer because it's warm.
I did all the basics out front then i Took the kids to the pond.

I hit the curb do a little crook fakie with the toe up like wacky style rock.

Felt mad good

I don't need no sticking bones
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #539 on: April 29, 2020, 02:18:41 PM »
I've had this experience on my ventures. I've skated 3 sets of 5.25 highs and one set of 5.25 lows. All of them I've had to periodically tighten a full turn or two from factory at some point after they've really broken in until the kingpin is almost one exposed thread showing. I can usually tell because my tre flips get soggy and rocketed when the truck starts loosening up or the bushings get mushier.