Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 349438 times)

Enrico Pallazzo, Mean salto, SupremePizza (+ 2 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Esmith5488

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #600 on: May 10, 2020, 09:02:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Skated some 5.8s the last few days. Like them, probably a bit too beast for me, but fun.

Anyone have a recommendation on deck brands/shapes for these trucks? I have a FA sage board from a bit back, it’s got a 14.12 wb, and is under 32”, both of those numbers have worked well for in the past. Steep nose and I could not skate this thing. Felt wild.
Next day switched everything out and set it up an 8.125 with 14” wb and same trucks and the pop was great. Board is more mellow, and really old.
Anyways, if anyone has a recommendation for big ventures, board wise, lemme know.
Thanks
[close]

i'm skating my 5.8ti's on a Quasi 8.5, 32.125 long & 14.25WB. also on 52mm conical fulls for what its worth, and i love everything about the feel of the setup.  it did take me a little getting used to, but i'm talking like 1 session.  after realizing where i needed to make certain adjustments, this is definitely my preferred ride for the moment
[close]

Maybe too big for you? I ride 5,6 on 8.125 and fucking love them, got those spitfire F4 tablets too. Before I had the lock-ins. They are wider and a bit heavier. But don't let me tell you, you skate to big. Because I see people skate super wide and I'm like how the hell. I would definitely go up to 8.25 but I want 14 wheelbase, that's the most important thing for me, and it's hard to find 14 WB on 8.25.
Girl and primitive have 825 with 14 inch wheelbase and should be pretty easy to come by. Skatepark of Tampa has a great tool to browse by dimensions

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #601 on: May 10, 2020, 12:12:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Skated some 5.8s the last few days. Like them, probably a bit too beast for me, but fun.

Anyone have a recommendation on deck brands/shapes for these trucks? I have a FA sage board from a bit back, it’s got a 14.12 wb, and is under 32”, both of those numbers have worked well for in the past. Steep nose and I could not skate this thing. Felt wild.
Next day switched everything out and set it up an 8.125 with 14” wb and same trucks and the pop was great. Board is more mellow, and really old.
Anyways, if anyone has a recommendation for big ventures, board wise, lemme know.
Thanks
[close]

i'm skating my 5.8ti's on a Quasi 8.5, 32.125 long & 14.25WB. also on 52mm conical fulls for what its worth, and i love everything about the feel of the setup.  it did take me a little getting used to, but i'm talking like 1 session.  after realizing where i needed to make certain adjustments, this is definitely my preferred ride for the moment
[close]

Maybe too big for you? I ride 5,6 on 8.125 and fucking love them, got those spitfire F4 tablets too. Before I had the lock-ins. They are wider and a bit heavier. But don't let me tell you, you skate to big. Because I see people skate super wide and I'm like how the hell. I would definitely go up to 8.25 but I want 14 wheelbase, that's the most important thing for me, and it's hard to find 14 WB on 8.25.
[close]

I think you are correct, re: too big. I want to ride an adult sized skateboard, but it’s a serious struggle.
I should have gotten 8.25” trucks, and used those on boards 8-8.5”.
Next time.
try the lighter versions of bigger trucks, that might help. i ride 151s but the hollow light version makes it manageable at around 330g
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #602 on: May 10, 2020, 12:19:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks
[close]

[close]

[close]

I think you are correct, re: too big. I want to ride an adult sized skateboard, but it’s a serious struggle.
Next time.
[close]
try the lighter versions of bigger trucks, that might help. i ride 151s but the hollow light version makes it manageable at around 330g

I agree, to an extent. My ‘logic’ is now that if it needs to rare metals to work, it’s not the right size. Maybe that’s a poor way to look at it on my part tho. Thanks for the thought

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #603 on: May 10, 2020, 02:28:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks
[close]

[close]

[close]

Next time.
[close]
[close]

I agree, to an extent. My ‘logic’ is now that if it needs to rare metals to work, it’s not the right size. Maybe that’s a poor way to look at it on my part tho. Thanks for the thought

Thats not a good way to look at it... some people prefer bigger trucks over smaller ones in every way minus the fact that they're heavier. Getting hollows/titaniums would be a much better solution than sizing down and sticking with raws.

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #604 on: May 10, 2020, 03:18:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks
[close]

[close]

[close]

Next time.
[close]
[close]

[close]

Thats not a good way to look at it... some people prefer bigger trucks over smaller ones in every way minus the fact that they're heavier. Getting hollows/titaniums would be a much better solution than sizing down and sticking with raws.
Being extra geeky here..
Anyone notice a change in center of gravity height hollow/Ti axles? Or different size/width wheels?
Heavier axles/wheels would move the CoG down, light would move it up.
Things wanna rotate around their CoG, so lower CoG would make a kickflip rotate more on a centerline going thru both axles.
Higher CoG and the board would wanna rotate more on a line that goes thru the deck.
Can anyone feel that?
I'd experiment more my im just working on getting back flip tricks..

I've noticed it on nollie fs shuvs tho. I do lil ones as a turn around trick, low, probably couldn't get up a curb.
With heavy wheels they feel more natural and I can catch flat. Also didn't mess up impossibles like I thought it would, almost seemed like they spun better. Maybe it's the tension thing?
Lighter wheels make me rocket that trick and I land manny or full on taildrag. I've tried it with the same diameter wheels and 2mm smaller. Maybe it's just me?

How are those Array washers working out for you guys?
Are there about the same thickness as cup washers?
I'm more curious about the top washer. Does the bushing hole get chewed up less? Anyone tried just the top washer?
Do Ventures hangers rub the cup washer?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 03:44:46 PM by legion »

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #605 on: May 10, 2020, 04:26:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks
[close]

[close]

[close]

Next time.
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
Being extra geeky here..
Anyone notice a change in center of gravity height hollow/Ti axles? Or different size/width wheels?
Things wanna rotate around their CoG, so lower CoG would make a kickflip rotate more on a centerline going thru both axles.
Higher CoG and the board would wanna rotate more on a line that goes thru the deck.
Can anyone feel that?

I've noticed it on nollie fs shuvs tho. I do lil ones as a turn around trick, low, probably couldn't get up a curb.
With heavy wheels they feel more natural and I can catch flat. Also didn't mess up impossibles like I thought it would, almost seemed like they spun better. Maybe it's the tension thing?
Lighter wheels make me rocket that trick and I land manny or full on taildrag. I've tried it with the same diameter wheels and 2mm smaller. Maybe it's just me?

I'm more curious about the top washer. Does the bushing hole get chewed up less? Anyone tried just the top washer?

I mean its possible I guess but this sounds a bit too crazy to me its probably 99.99% in your head.

sadnocomply

• Rep: 117
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #606 on: May 10, 2020, 04:39:09 PM »
A wise sage once told me “don’t think about it so much, let the body do the skatin”

Always remind myself that when setting up new shit ;)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #607 on: May 10, 2020, 04:46:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks
[close]

[close]

[close]

Next time.
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
Being extra geeky here..
Can anyone feel that?

[close]

I mean its possible I guess but this sounds a bit too crazy to me its probably 99.99% in your head.

I blacked out reading the theory, but I can say that I know more than a few that prefer more heft, for certain set ups. Not sure if that’s what you are saying. A board can feel too light for sure.

As to the lighter, but bigger trucks. I’m sure I am wrong. I’ve skated hollow 169s, regular 169s (just as an example). They were just too big either way. I don’t know what messes more with my flips/rotations: weight or width.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #608 on: May 10, 2020, 04:51:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks
[close]

[close]

My 8.25 DOA is 14wb

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #609 on: May 10, 2020, 05:30:37 PM »
My 8.25 DOA is 14wb

Really? All the 8.25's and 8.3's I've had from them are 14.25"wb.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #610 on: May 10, 2020, 06:03:52 PM »
Expand Quote
My 8.25 DOA is 14wb
[close]

yeah im calling bullshit on that
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #611 on: May 10, 2020, 07:35:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My 8.25 DOA is 14wb
[close]

[close]

My square DOA 8.25 is just a hair under 14.25 (more like a 14.2). Nowhere near 14"

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #612 on: May 10, 2020, 08:34:14 PM »
ya’ll right I was tripping with my measurements, apologies

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #613 on: May 13, 2020, 03:59:48 PM »
What I thought was a blemish from the rim the cup washer turned out to be a rainbow of Doom crack from one side of the yoke to the other.

I had a public meltdown. Some lady broke the 6 foot law on me. Tried to get me to take an ambulance ride.

I can't take this stress rn.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #614 on: May 13, 2020, 05:43:27 PM »
What I thought was a blemish from the rim the cup washer turned out to be a rainbow of Doom crack from one side of the yoke to the other.

I had a public meltdown. Some lady broke the 6 foot law on me. Tried to get me to take an ambulance ride.

I can't take this stress rn.

Put your 44s back on mon!

Sorry shit is stressful

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #615 on: May 13, 2020, 06:35:46 PM »
Mannn sorry Flea
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #616 on: May 13, 2020, 08:17:48 PM »
does anyone know where to find venture v hollows in 5.2 high? I can find literally every version of the 5.2 except those.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #617 on: May 13, 2020, 09:27:25 PM »
does anyone know where to find venture v hollows in 5.2 high? I can find literally every version of the 5.2 except those.

Big stock of ventures here http://www.blacklistboardshop.com/search.cfm

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #618 on: May 13, 2020, 09:48:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Big stock of ventures here http://www.blacklistboardshop.com/search.cfm

holy shit! thank you Steve.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

PeskOne

• Rep: 10
  • Skateboarding: Only drug worth the side effects.
« Reply #619 on: May 14, 2020, 03:22:45 AM »
Thanks for all the answers about 8.25 deck 14WB. I ended up ordering a Krooked 8.12 with a 14 WB. What do you guys think about Krooked boards? This is my first Krooked, one of my best boards were a Real board. Unfortunately it broke after a bs 180 flat. But the time I had on the board was like heaven.
Skateboarding an addiction stronger than Heroin.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #620 on: May 14, 2020, 03:56:11 AM »
Thanks for all the answers about 8.25 deck 14WB. I ended up ordering a Krooked 8.12 with a 14 WB. What do you guys think about Krooked boards? This is my first Krooked, one of my best boards were a Real board. Unfortunately it broke after a bs 180 flat. But the time I had on the board was like heaven.
I think you would be hard pressed to find someone to say anything bad about any dlx brands quality.

Buck Stefano

• Rep: -1
« Reply #621 on: May 14, 2020, 08:06:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks
[close]

[close]

[close]

Next time.
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
Being extra geeky here..
Can anyone feel that?

I agree that the axis of rotation will be wherever the most weight is on your set up. Moreover, I think it holds that the higher off the ground, the higher the center of gravity, the closer to the ground the lower.

If you jump between truck and wheel heights, you’re messing with the angle your board makes when you pop the tail. Which in turn is confusing the timing youve developed in your muscle memory for performing tricks.

The easiest way to combat this, ive found (at least for maintaining tricks across diff set ups and perhaps can help you do your tricks the same way across diff set ups) is to always have your front foot just behind the front axle and your back foot as close to the tip of the tail as possible, this foot placement gives you balanced leverage on any combo of trucks, decks, wheels, etc. when performing tricks.

If you try this stance on your board and it feels unstable or gross, chances are you dont have the optimal mix of dimensions across your set up for your given body type. All that being said, it’s much easier to just stick with whatever feels comfortable.

The skateboard is ultimately a tool you manipulate. Youre the one doing the tricks and your anatomy and bio mechanics arent that variable, so all your doing when you change your set up, is developing your muscles’ understanding of how different set ups (re: diff levers) can be manipulated by your body.

Def got on a diff tangent, that’s enough of the grand unified theory of skateboarding.

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #622 on: May 14, 2020, 11:56:13 AM »

As seen on Mike Anderson’s insta.

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #623 on: May 14, 2020, 11:57:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think you would be hard pressed to find someone to say anything bad about any dlx brands quality.

True. I have been skating dlx boards for maybe 10 years and never had any problems with them.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #624 on: May 14, 2020, 12:28:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks
[close]

[close]

[close]

Next time.
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
Being extra geeky here..
Can anyone feel that?

[close]

I agree that the axis of rotation will be wherever the most weight is on your set up. Moreover, I think it holds that the higher off the ground, the higher the center of gravity, the closer to the ground the lower.

If you jump between truck and wheel heights, you’re messing with the angle your board makes when you pop the tail. Which in turn is confusing the timing youve developed in your muscle memory for performing tricks.

The easiest way to combat this, ive found (at least for maintaining tricks across diff set ups and perhaps can help you do your tricks the same way across diff set ups) is to always have your front foot just behind the front axle and your back foot as close to the tip of the tail as possible, this foot placement gives you balanced leverage on any combo of trucks, decks, wheels, etc. when performing tricks.

If you try this stance on your board and it feels unstable or gross, chances are you dont have the optimal mix of dimensions across your set up for your given body type. All that being said, it’s much easier to just stick with whatever feels comfortable.

The skateboard is ultimately a tool you manipulate. Youre the one doing the tricks and your anatomy and bio mechanics arent that variable, so all your doing when you change your set up, is developing your muscles’ understanding of how different set ups (re: diff levers) can be manipulated by your body.

Def got on a diff tangent, that’s enough of the grand unified theory of skateboarding.

This is definitely not universal. Over the years as I've skated many different setups with varying truck/board/wheel combos I've found popping with my back foot in the pocket for flatground tricks, though switch and ledge tricks my popping foot is still on the tip-ish.

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #625 on: May 14, 2020, 01:25:42 PM »
Tactics have the new Thrasher models in stock, ordered a pair yesterday

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #626 on: May 14, 2020, 06:32:09 PM »

you get yellow baseplates, or all polished?

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #627 on: May 14, 2020, 09:00:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
you get yellow baseplates, or all polished?

I grabbed the all polished 5.8's
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 05:16:59 AM by Stigmata »

Davethedavedave

• Rep: -101
« Reply #628 on: May 14, 2020, 10:57:41 PM »
Yes

MxsDx

• Rep: 90
« Reply #629 on: May 15, 2020, 09:07:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My 8.25 DOA is 14wb
[close]

[close]
Are you all riding Ventures on your DOA decks? I have the square 8.25 and can't decide if I like it better on Indy's (shorter wheelbase) or Thunders (longer wheelbase).  I rode ventures years ago, so nostalgia has me interested in jumping back in. As to the DOA though, I am curious to know how it feels with Ventures, which would push our the wheelbase even more than Thunders.