Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 349644 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #630 on: May 15, 2020, 11:20:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My 8.25 DOA is 14wb
[close]

Really? All the 8.25's and 8.3's I've had from them are 14.25"wb.
[close]
yeah im calling bullshit on that
[close]
Are you all riding Ventures on your DOA decks? I have the square 8.25 and can't decide if I like it better on Indy's (shorter wheelbase) or Thunders (longer wheelbase).  I rode ventures years ago, so nostalgia has me interested in jumping back in. As to the DOA though, I am curious to know how it feels with Ventures, which would push our the wheelbase even more than Thunders.

I tried them out on the square 8.25 DOA, WB was fine (but I'm used to that as I don't mind WB that are in the 14.3+ range. The thing that felt just a little off but I got used to it, was the pop with the short steep tail (compared to the long mellow tail on the primitive decks I was riding the ventures on). The more I ride the ventures on different decks the more I feel they work best (for me) on 2 finger flat/long tails (over 6.5")/mellow kicks.

Or, I just like steep short tails with indys/ACE more as I have more pop power than finesse.

MxsDx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #631 on: May 15, 2020, 11:57:57 AM »
I tried them out on the square 8.25 DOA, WB was fine (but I'm used to that as I don't mind WB that are in the 14.3+ range. The thing that felt just a little off but I got used to it, was the pop with the short steep tail (compared to the long mellow tail on the primitive decks I was riding the ventures on). The more I ride the ventures on different decks the more I feel they work best (for me) on 2 finger flat/long tails (over 6.5")/mellow kicks.

Or, I just like steep short tails with indys/ACE more as I have more pop power than finesse.
[/quote]

Thanks for the response. I feel like I run around in circles with all the gear madness, but it is fun to tinker with different set-ups, especially while "working" from home. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #632 on: May 15, 2020, 07:34:06 PM »

Thanks for the response. I feel like I run around in circles with all the gear madness, but it is fun to tinker with different set-ups, especially while "working" from home.
[/quote]

Screwed around a bit today and put together a board with steep kicks (impact light) on a 14.25 WB and Theeves (much tighter WB than the Ventures but around the same height) + 52mm wheels.

After skating Ventures on mellow kicks (and steep) and short WBs with 52s stepping to the other end of the spectrum felt much better, as in right away much better...I didn't have to work for my pop as much.

sgm06sti

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #633 on: May 18, 2020, 03:20:48 AM »
Could anyone tell me if the graphics on these 5.25 V-Hollow light lo are the current outgoing one ? All the pictures I see of these trucks are from 2017. Thanks !

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/venture-trucks-v-hollow-lights-polished-low-5-25-truck-silver_p77613?cPath=44&brand_id=98

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #634 on: May 18, 2020, 04:43:08 AM »
Could anyone tell me if the graphics on these 5.25 V-Hollow light lo are the current outgoing one ? All the pictures I see of these trucks are from 2017. Thanks !

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/venture-trucks-v-hollow-lights-polished-low-5-25-truck-silver_p77613?cPath=44&brand_id=98

that’s what they used to look like, with the gold washers and stuff. now they’re all silver, with a small red/blue sticker on both hangers, no graphic. those ventures on that website might be old stock though.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

sgm06sti

« Reply #635 on: May 18, 2020, 04:48:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

that’s what they used to look like, with the gold washers and stuff. now they’re all silver, with a small red/blue sticker on both hangers, no graphic. those ventures on that website might be old stock though.

Yeah I kinda figured that was no longer the current look. I am also not sure if the website image is out of date or if that is the truck they shipped me. Should have it Thursday.

Next question ha beside the look did anything else change year to year ?

Thanks !

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #636 on: May 18, 2020, 07:13:55 AM »
Certain those aren’t Street Corner. I’ve had 3 sets of the 5.2 V-Hollow Hi’s including that graphic now phased out and they are all identical. Plus I don’t think DLX would sell the apparently fairly shite previous versions on their own site?

I’m lucky I missed a few years so went straight from the mid 90’s to the new ones avoiding the giant red “V” both feel good but the new ones are massively more precise feeling and all round better put together IMO.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #637 on: May 18, 2020, 07:18:16 AM »
I think the only change I’ve noticed in the last couple of years is the hanger size is now stamped just behind the pivot and the yoke hole to ID all the new widths (5.2H, 6.1 etc)

sgm06sti

« Reply #638 on: May 18, 2020, 07:26:35 AM »
Cool Cool. Thanks all just figured I would ask :). Coming from the world of cars and computers companies are always changing little things year to year.

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #639 on: May 18, 2020, 02:58:53 PM »
Anyone know what the durometer is for the purple bushings Venture usually has in some of their trucks?

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #640 on: May 18, 2020, 03:11:30 PM »
Anyone know what the durometer is for the purple bushings Venture usually has in some of their trucks?
From what i have gathered the purples are 97a and the greens are 94a, at least that's what the dlx supercush bushings are.

sadnocomply

• Rep: 117
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #641 on: May 18, 2020, 03:43:17 PM »

if you are talking stock purples then they should be 90a like most brands. However the aftermarket purps are 97a from DLX supercush as stated above. Aftermarket DLX supercush 90a will be Orange

Stigmata

« Reply #642 on: May 18, 2020, 04:32:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

if you are talking stock purples then they should be 90a like most brands. However the aftermarket purps are 97a from DLX supercush as stated above. Aftermarket DLX supercush 90a will be Orange

Ya theyre def not 98a cuz they feel super soft, thx guys

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #643 on: May 19, 2020, 12:01:03 PM »
Threw my Ti/Forged on a 14.44 WB for the hell of it....didn't hate it, thought I would..it's a Creature, pretty flat concave (stated as medium) kicks are abrupt AFTER the fingers of flat, so with the Ventures it's a bit odd....from the bolt holes it's about two fingers of flat...from the end of the baseplate (underside/roadside) to the tail kick it's less than a fingers width; basically the kick starts right at the baseplate.

I'm still trying to find out what the best pairing deck-wise is: steep/flat, long tail, short tail, etc., for power specifically...madness

Also, the ACE bushing (low top, reg bottom)/Riptide combo is still the best I've found for my turning preferences. They're really nice and swevrey (not twitchy or carvey). I'm bouncing between these with small wheels med/mellow kicks and Tensor ATGs with bigger wheels and steeper kicks because why not.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #644 on: May 19, 2020, 03:59:00 PM »
Threw my Ti/Forged on a 14.44 WB for the hell of it....didn't hate it, thought I would..it's a Creature, pretty flat concave (stated as medium) kicks are abrupt AFTER the fingers of flat, so with the Ventures it's a bit odd....from the bolt holes it's about two fingers of flat...from the end of the baseplate (underside/roadside) to the tail kick it's less than a fingers width; basically the kick starts right at the baseplate.

I'm still trying to find out what the best pairing deck-wise is: steep/flat, long tail, short tail, etc., for power specifically...madness

Also, the ACE bushing (low top, reg bottom)/Riptide combo is still the best I've found for my turning preferences. They're really nice and swevrey (not twitchy or carvey). I'm bouncing between these with small wheels med/mellow kicks and Tensor ATGs with bigger wheels and steeper kicks because why not.

I've personally settled on 14.25-14.38 wb on venture forged plates. Its comfortable for me and minus one or two specific scenarios it doesn't make much of a difference. Never paid too much attention to kick length or steepness/flatness, kinda just ballpark infer the kicks from the length and wheelbase measurements and hope that its not too far from medium, which I think works best for me, definitely notice it a bit when its too steep or flat.

That Ace bushings + riptide + the flat washer with stem combo is great. I'm really liking it on my setup, no squeak, nice snap to center and a smooth predictable turn. I think a little bit turnier than stock. I'm worried about the bushings bulging though so I've been taking the kingpin nut off after skating to release the tension and just tightening before I go out to skate and a few weeks in they've held up great.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 04:03:44 PM by tzhangdox »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #645 on: May 19, 2020, 04:33:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've personally settled on 14.25-14.38 wb on venture forged plates. Its comfortable for me and minus one or two specific scenarios it doesn't make much of a difference. Never paid too much attention to kick length or steepness/flatness, kinda just ballpark infer the kicks from the length and wheelbase measurements and hope that its not too far from medium, which I think works best for me, definitely notice it a bit when its too steep or flat.

That Ace bushings + riptide + the flat washer with stem combo is great. I'm really liking it on my setup, no squeak, nice snap to center and a smooth predictable turn. I think a little bit turnier than stock. I'm worried about the bushings bulging though so I've been taking the kingpin nut off after skating to release the tension and just tightening before I go out to skate and a few weeks in they've held up great.

Forgot to mention the stem washers, the combo is really snappy. Are yo using low/ high Ace combo? I'm using those excessive to kingpin nuts and it saves a few threads of bulge...you could always just shave down the top bushings more?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #646 on: May 19, 2020, 04:42:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Forgot to mention the stem washers, the combo is really snappy. Are yo using low/ high Ace combo? I'm using those excessive to kingpin nuts and it saves a few threads of bulge...you could always just shave down the top bushings more?

Yeah the low/high combo. I could shave the top bushing more I guess, but I really like the tightness with the stock kingpin nut about flush with the current combo. I don't think it actually would bulge out badly like bones bushing sometimes do but its just a safety precaution. If the bottom bushing goes to shit I'm going to try the low bottoms, seems like they also fit fine.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #647 on: May 19, 2020, 05:20:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah the low/high combo. I could shave the top bushing more I guess, but I really like the tightness with the stock kingpin nut about flush with the current combo. I don't think it actually would bulge out badly like bones bushing sometimes do but its just a safety precaution. If the bottom bushing goes to shit I'm going to try the low bottoms, seems like they also fit fine.

I popped the low bottoms in 'just to see'  and yeah, it didn't seem like it affected anything at all, no weird angles, odd because it's a pretty significant height difference.

What size wheels are you running? I'm 51s heading into 50mm territory.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #648 on: May 19, 2020, 11:50:02 PM »
Just wanted to comment real quick that I started skating my set of venture 5.8s months ago and they keep getting better with age. They feel all surfy now but with that great venture stability at the same time.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #649 on: May 20, 2020, 12:01:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I popped the low bottoms in 'just to see'  and yeah, it didn't seem like it affected anything at all, no weird angles, odd because it's a pretty significant height difference.

What size wheels are you running? I'm 51s heading into 50mm territory.

54 99 radial slims. Yeah really strange, the low and normal bottoms are very different in size but both fit in there perfectly.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #650 on: May 20, 2020, 05:04:41 AM »
Just wanted to comment real quick that I started skating my set of venture 5.8s months ago and they keep getting better with age. They feel all surfy now but with that great venture stability at the same time.

This has been happening on my 6.1's the last few weeks.  Super good feeling.  Hasn't caught up to my 5.6's yet, but I wasn't feeling those on my 8.25 deck, so I just got a set of 5.8's yesterday and hoping they work out better for my smaller setup.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #651 on: May 20, 2020, 06:14:23 AM »
I agree 100 percent. I added flat washers and I now have no need for ever trying any other truck.

Stigmata

« Reply #652 on: May 20, 2020, 06:15:28 AM »
Would 5.8 be a bit too big for a 8.125 deck? Or would a 5.6 be a bit better.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #653 on: May 20, 2020, 06:24:07 AM »

Personally I would do the 5.6
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #654 on: May 20, 2020, 09:39:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree while you could do the 5.8 I think it’s a hair too long and the 5.6 would be perfect and that’s my current setup now, 8.1 with 5.6

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #655 on: May 20, 2020, 10:06:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just came off an 8.125 with 5.6s, works great. 5.8 would look/feel too wide for my taste, diminishing the purpose of a 8.125"

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #656 on: May 20, 2020, 04:39:04 PM »
Anyone here on the ti’s? Thought about getting a set for the hangars to lighten it up but keep the cast plates of the raws. How are you liking them?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #657 on: May 20, 2020, 04:53:49 PM »
Anyone here on the ti’s? Thought about getting a set for the hangars to lighten it up but keep the cast plates of the raws. How are you liking them?

I've had tis, they were great. Noticeably lighter.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #658 on: May 20, 2020, 07:12:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I just came off an 8.125 with 5.6s, works great. 5.8 would look/feel too wide for my taste, diminishing the purpose of a 8.125"

Was just skating 8.126 w/5.8, mainly for wb experimentation. Can confirm that it works, but it’s not ideal route imo. Plenty of people shred on a similar ratio, and if it’s what you have you shouldn’t let it hold you back, but for me I’d rather have the narrower trucks for more flip.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #659 on: May 20, 2020, 10:18:17 PM »

5.6, riding 5.8 on a Real 8.18 and while the width is managable, the weight feels a little off.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m