Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 353797 times)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #1020 on: July 07, 2020, 08:09:56 AM »
Finally pulled the trigger on some 5.0 Lows (I ride under 8"). Pretty excited to get that low feel again. I am hoping this will help me re-gain some flip tricks as I don't feel as "flippy" on Indys. I've said for years that the stability of Ventures is something I feel a lack of in Indy and Thunder.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1021 on: July 07, 2020, 09:29:08 AM »
Just set up some 5.2 lows with some old green supercush 94s. I know everyone says that they lows and highs use the same bushings, but I swear the stock barrel of the lows is like 2-3mm shorter so I sanded mine down.

There are other trucks out there (Ace) that I really enjoy but every time I have some regular cast Venture lows I just feel at home.

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #1022 on: July 07, 2020, 10:49:50 AM »
Finally pulled the trigger on some 5.0 Lows (I ride under 8"). Pretty excited to get that low feel again. I am hoping this will help me re-gain some flip tricks as I don't feel as "flippy" on Indys. I've said for years that the stability of Ventures is something I feel a lack of in Indy and Thunder.

You won't be disappointed. I went down to 7.875 and 5.2 lows from Indy. Flip tricks are a dream now
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1023 on: July 07, 2020, 11:39:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I really have been enjoying the 5.6 V-Hollow (I got mine from you Xen). Wish they were a little lower like the 5.2 Lo but the wheelbite was getting annoying on them.
[close]

I put in some 88a deluxe bait and tackle (clear) bushing in Ti 5.6s with those flat  array machined sleeved washers; they're working well. I'm just stuck in the madness of venture stability and height and Tensor ATG everything else...
[close]

Has the bushing swap helped with wheelbite?

Nope. I get wheelbite not matter what bushing, or truck, I ride. I like'em loose (not rattly loose).

Being they are 88a, they're softer than stock (by a duro or two). I'd say the quality of bushing is better? and the sleeved washers (like bones) are a bit snappier on return than without them.

Harder bushings or tighter/taller trucks are the only ways to fix wheelbite.

Definitely prefer barrels in Ventures as conicals get them tippy feeling like I always need to re-balance to get them to stay center.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1024 on: July 07, 2020, 03:02:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I really have been enjoying the 5.6 V-Hollow (I got mine from you Xen). Wish they were a little lower like the 5.2 Lo but the wheelbite was getting annoying on them.
[close]

I put in some 88a deluxe bait and tackle (clear) bushing in Ti 5.6s with those flat  array machined sleeved washers; they're working well. I'm just stuck in the madness of venture stability and height and Tensor ATG everything else...
[close]

Has the bushing swap helped with wheelbite?
[close]

Nope. I get wheelbite not matter what bushing, or truck, I ride. I like'em loose (not rattly loose).

Being they are 88a, they're softer than stock (by a duro or two). I'd say the quality of bushing is better? and the sleeved washers (like bones) are a bit snappier on return than without them.

Harder bushings or tighter/taller trucks are the only ways to fix wheelbite.

Definitely prefer barrels in Ventures as conicals get them tippy feeling like I always need to re-balance to get them to stay center.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Boog

• Rep: 194
« Reply #1025 on: July 07, 2020, 08:10:34 PM »
I have some venture v litght 5.0 lows with the red v on the hanger and purple bushings if anyone is interested.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #1026 on: July 07, 2020, 08:43:46 PM »
I have some venture v litght 5.0 lows with the red v on the hanger and purple bushings if anyone is interested.

Interested

Boog

• Rep: 194
« Reply #1027 on: July 07, 2020, 09:20:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Interested
They aren't new but they are broken in and are in good shape. Dm me on Instagram tomorrow and I'll send you pictures. I'm bout to go to bed now or I'd send them tonight. @matthew._.lane

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1028 on: July 08, 2020, 01:12:54 PM »
maybe somebody got input on this:

since i wanted to up the size of my decks again, i swapped my broken in bushings from my 5.2 his to my new 5.6 his. loved it for two weeks, but having a hard time now. they feel really tippy or unstable, when i try to ride them looser, when i tighten them up i can't really turn with one foot while pushing... the "sweet spot" is not there anymore. so bummed. even fucks with my pop. maybe it just takes another week of getting used to it (adjusting to the "tippier" feel), but i'm annoyed and start to doubt everything.

anyway, i should just skate and get over it.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #1029 on: July 08, 2020, 03:29:40 PM »
maybe somebody got input on this:

since i wanted to up the size of my decks again, i swapped my broken in bushings from my 5.2 his to my new 5.6 his. loved it for two weeks, but having a hard time now. they feel really tippy or unstable, when i try to ride them looser, when i tighten them up i can't really turn with one foot while pushing... the "sweet spot" is not there anymore. so bummed. even fucks with my pop. maybe it just takes another week of getting used to it (adjusting to the "tippier" feel), but i'm annoyed and start to doubt everything.

anyway, i should just skate and get over it.

The size difference affects turning. You may have to spend a bit more time skating to get used to the new turning and reaching the good spot.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

JB77

« Reply #1030 on: July 09, 2020, 04:03:27 AM »
Bought some 5.0 highs recently and if I line them up axle to axle with my Reynolds Hollow Indy 139’s they are exactly the same height. 

This chart says the 139 standard is 1.5mm taller than the Venture 5.0 high.  Maybe my eye can’t discern that slight difference, but the Ventures actually “feel” a little taller and tippy-er to me.  Does that make sense?  Of course, the width also makes a difference. 

Question is this: shave down the bushings a little?  Replace the stock bushings in the Ventures?  Looking for recommendations on how to modify these Ventures for more stability without cranking down the kingpin nut too much.  Thanks!

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1031 on: July 09, 2020, 05:55:37 AM »
Bought some 5.0 highs recently and if I line them up axle to axle with my Reynolds Hollow Indy 139’s they are exactly the same height. 

This chart says the 139 standard is 1.5mm taller than the Venture 5.0 high.  Maybe my eye can’t discern that slight difference, but the Ventures actually “feel” a little taller and tippy-er to me.  Does that make sense?  Of course, the width also makes a difference. 

Question is this: shave down the bushings a little?  Replace the stock bushings in the Ventures?  Looking for recommendations on how to modify these Ventures for more stability without cranking down the kingpin nut too much.  Thanks!

Dxl Super crush bait and tackle. Green 94a purple 97a
(A)pl(E)

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1032 on: July 09, 2020, 06:19:52 AM »
Keep it simple and just ride smaller wheels with them.

JB77

« Reply #1033 on: July 09, 2020, 06:24:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Are these bushings thinner or something?  What will they accomplish for me?  Thanks!

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1034 on: July 09, 2020, 06:28:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is the best way. A harder bushing in ventures really does a lot to improve the stability without sacrificing the turn. I have purple 97s in my 5.6 hollows and greens in my 5.2 lows. I'm a bigger dude and the swap is what really makes ventures work for me. I wouldn't recommend shaving the bushings, it'll just mess with the turn.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1035 on: July 09, 2020, 06:51:34 PM »
My 5.6's are on the way. Can't wait to give it a poke.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1036 on: July 09, 2020, 09:05:47 PM »
What does tippy mean anyway. I'm having trouble with this term.

Does that mean loose and you're not used to the turn delay or like OG tensor 2 wheel coasting around corners trying not to tic tac.
(A)pl(E)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1924
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1037 on: July 09, 2020, 10:44:56 PM »

Does that mean loose and you're not used to the turn delay or like OG tensor 2 wheel coasting around corners trying not to tic tac.

For me it makes the nose too light, like if I were setting my feet up to Ollie and crouched down it would feel like the board was popping too quickly.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

l1ll1ll1

« Reply #1038 on: July 10, 2020, 02:38:03 AM »

tippy for me means that the board wiggles when you load up or leans quite a bit without resistance before actually turning. so there is kind of an unnecessary lean before the actual response of the truck. for some that might be great. for me it's weird, but maybe i just need to adjust and don't be so delicate.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1039 on: July 10, 2020, 08:00:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

tippy for me means that the board wiggles when you load up or leans quite a bit without resistance before actually turning. so there is kind of an unnecessary lean before the actual response of the truck. for some that might be great. for me it's weird, but maybe i just need to adjust and don't be so delicate.

Experienced that today. 5.6 v-hollow on a 8.125, felt a good deal of lean and lack of stability when I was setting up for trucks. 5.2 Lo feel really stable but wheelbite is a bitch
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

l1ll1ll1

« Reply #1040 on: July 10, 2020, 09:50:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Experienced that today. 5.6 v-hollow on a 8.125, felt a good deal of lean and lack of stability when I was setting up for trucks. 5.2 Lo feel really stable but wheelbite is a bitch

that is what i mean... i'm giving them another two weeks and then i need to change something for sure. 5.2s and lo's are not an option for me because of wheelbite, pop feel and prefered deck width.

sadnocomply

• Rep: 122
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1041 on: July 10, 2020, 11:06:18 AM »

when I line up my cast 5.2 next to some indy 144 forged tits, they sit the same height at 53.5mm, even measured them to be exact & everything was spot on.

Another note, I had been running cast plates on my 5.6 titaniums this whole year basically, loved everything about it. But the madness/curiosity got to me again and I retired the 5.6 titanium hanger for the raw 5.6 hangers on cast plates for more heft. Thought I would hate it but I don’t! My decks sog out after 2 weeks of heavy skating everyday and the heft/height of regular trucks brings my pop back to life.

I also tried 5.6 forged titaniums on the same 8.25 x 31.9 x 14.25 wb, and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, but the longer wb would be an adjustment for me. I love forged ventures on 14wb but all my decks are 14.25 so cast it is! I don’t experience the tippy feeling but I also ride hella loose on months old bushings so maybe I’m use to it.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1042 on: July 10, 2020, 11:40:25 PM »
Anyone have a recommendation for replacement bushing for the stock ones? I'm used to the geometry and turns, anything that would give a better pinch and more stability when crouching to pop tricks? I have the stock purple and white ones on my 5.6 and 5.2 V-Hollow respectively
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #1043 on: July 11, 2020, 02:24:47 AM »
Anyone have a recommendation for replacement bushing for the stock ones? I'm used to the geometry and turns, anything that would give a better pinch and more stability when crouching to pop tricks? I have the stock purple and white ones on my 5.6 and 5.2 V-Hollow respectively

Ace bushings are good but its more for a surfier turn and in my experience don't last that long. I'm back on stocks now, have also tried bones and I don't think there's anything that's a noticeable improvement over stocks in stability and pinch. Maybe your stocks are worn and you just need new ones?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1044 on: July 11, 2020, 02:44:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ace bushings are good but its more for a surfier turn and in my experience don't last that long. I'm back on stocks now, have also tried bones and I don't think there's anything that's a noticeable improvement over stocks in stability and pinch. Maybe your stocks are worn and you just need new ones?

Nah they are pretty fresh, I liked them more when they were new and not as worn in. I'll tighten up the kingpin to see if that helps tomorrow.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1045 on: July 11, 2020, 02:56:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nah they are pretty fresh, I liked them more when they were new and not as worn in. I'll tighten up the kingpin to see if that helps tomorrow.

Tightening will help with stability, maybe pinch if you're riding super loose right now but maybe not.

shmazz

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1046 on: July 11, 2020, 01:33:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’ve been skating 5.6 lights on my 8.25 FA deck for the past ten days or so and I’m loving them so far. I’ve only tighten them a couple of times (skating about two hours a day) and I ride them medium-loose. Solid turn, and although they do feel sturdier than my last set of trucks (Hysteria 147s, a Chinese made truck that sort of looks like a Thunder yet is 55mm tall) I like the pop feel on the 5.6s better. Parks are still closed around here, but slappies feel great once you wear the hanger down a little bit.  :D
[close]

Never mind, one of the top bushings just snapped lol. I’m not a heavy guy and my trucks are not tight by any definition so yeah, I’m pretty bummed about that.
[close]

Stock or bones or????

Stock, maybe “snapped” was a bit of an exaggeration on my part but it started to fall apart real quick. Bought some Indy medium conicals as a replacement and although I’m still breaking them in I’ve noticed the trucks have a sharper turn now.
Here’s a comparison pic between the good bushing and the blown out one.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1047 on: July 11, 2020, 01:52:15 PM »
ahh thats happened to me too :(, doesn't affect the turn but looking at a crumbled bushing pisses me off.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1048 on: July 11, 2020, 02:24:14 PM »
Is this only happening to purple tops?
(A)pl(E)

tzhangdox