Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 356549 times)

CaderSk8r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 19
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #1680 on: May 28, 2021, 01:33:25 PM »
If anyones curious about thunder bushings fitting in ventures, they do and they feel sweet!

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 583
« Reply #1681 on: May 31, 2021, 08:35:48 AM »
Anybody know the durometer of the stock bushings for Ventures? I swear I saw it in here, but now I can’t find it.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #1682 on: May 31, 2021, 08:46:42 AM »
Anybody know the durometer of the stock bushings for Ventures? I swear I saw it in here, but now I can’t find it.

Stock bushings are 90a, just like most truck brands.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 583
« Reply #1683 on: May 31, 2021, 09:10:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Stock bushings are 90a, just like most truck brands.

Thank you.

If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #1684 on: May 31, 2021, 09:52:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Would it be nuts to stick my 5.0 lo hollow on an 8 inch deck?

Too much magic carpet I bet ?
[close]

Use 3 speed rings on both axle insides and you're good.

Dude

Thank you

This is the perfect pairing. Honestly I think this is the best setup I've ever skated. It just works.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #1685 on: June 01, 2021, 03:49:23 PM »
Was running some cupped washers, guessing that's what blew them our. Were really good though. Soft bones.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1686 on: June 02, 2021, 07:23:14 AM »
Was running some cupped washers, guessing that's what blew them our. Were really good though. Soft bones.

No that is just Bones bushings to a tee, any truck, any combination and that can happen.

Everything else that Powell / Bones makes are usually top of the line and really good, but Bones bushings blow out way to often, too easily and too quickly with the harder inner core either coming away from or just pulling through the softer middle of the bushings, more so in the soft than any others.

Running them with normal washers actually helps them last a bit longer in some circumstances, but this would be the sort of pic I would show people who would ask for Bones bushings and if they still want some, buy them at your own risk.

That said, some people love them and swear by them, but I have seen far too many end up in pieces, sometimes even on the first day, than I would ever like to say and have a long shoe lace full of all the broken ones for show and tell.

Mediums or even hards when not tightened down actually skate better than the soft ones for most people, the exception being the super feather weights or small bodies, and then the softs work really well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1687 on: June 02, 2021, 07:45:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No that is just Bones bushings to a tee, any truck, any combination and that can happen.

Everything else that Powell / Bones makes are usually top of the line and really good, but Bones bushings blow out way to often, too easily and too quickly with the harder inner core either coming away from or just pulling through the softer middle of the bushings, more so in the soft than any others.

Running them with normal washers actually helps them last a bit longer in some circumstances, but this would be the sort of pic I would show people who would ask for Bones bushings and if they still want some, buy them at your own risk.

That said, some people love them and swear by them, but I have seen far too many end up in pieces, sometimes even on the first day, than I would ever like to say and have a long shoe lace full of all the broken ones for show and tell.

Mediums or even hards when not tightened down actually skate better than the soft ones for most people, the exception being the super feather weights or small bodies, and then the softs work really well.

Accurate. Hands, not cranked, have lasted the longest and feel the ‘snappiest’ for me

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #1688 on: June 02, 2021, 08:40:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks for the info. Never had them blow out like that. May try some soft Indy bushings instead.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 458
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1689 on: June 02, 2021, 09:20:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the info. Never had them blow out like that. May try some soft Indy bushings instead.

Indy red conical, no bottom washer, bones top washer. Feels exactly the same after a sesh or two.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1690 on: June 02, 2021, 09:26:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

How much do you weigh and how much turn do you want, eg crazy loose, loose, medium?

Indy bushings do tend to last the longest from my experience, but finding the right one for you can be the thing, eg super soft white are so soft and squishy to me, but I know quite a few people swear by them.  The next up is quite a jump, red soft often feel quite solid by comparison.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1691 on: June 02, 2021, 10:30:52 AM »
Uncle Flea uses indy bushings I think....he might have a recommendation.
In my experience I can get just as much turn out of hard bushings (up until a point I’m sure, I’ve had some doh-doh era rocks). I like the feeling of firmness and a quicker rebound. You may not. Just a thought

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #1692 on: June 02, 2021, 04:18:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

How much do you weigh and how much turn do you want, eg crazy loose, loose, medium?

Indy bushings do tend to last the longest from my experience, but finding the right one for you can be the thing, eg super soft white are so soft and squishy to me, but I know quite a few people swear by them.  The next up is quite a jump, red soft often feel quite solid by comparison.

220. As much turn as possible. Ended up throwing old sanded down hard bones top and cupped top washer. Doesn't feel too much different. Hopefully will withstand another blowout

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1693 on: June 08, 2021, 04:41:02 AM »
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/dailydose.html

Raw Venture Highs 5.2, 5.6 and 5.8 almost half price.

So glad I made the switch to Venture last year. Was on ACE for a while but all the changes/updates are too much for me.

Wow. That's a very reasonable deal. I grabbed a set for when my thunders are ran through. If anyone was curious basic US shipping was $4.95 my total with tax was $41 and some change.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #1694 on: June 08, 2021, 05:22:55 AM »
Expand Quote
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/dailydose.html

Raw Venture Highs 5.2, 5.6 and 5.8 almost half price.

So glad I made the switch to Venture last year. Was on ACE for a while but all the changes/updates are too much for me.
[close]

Wow. That's a very reasonable deal. I grabbed a set for when my thunders are ran through. If anyone was curious basic US shipping was $4.95 my total with tax was $41 and some change.

Figured I just got some OG Highs. I can’t find any specs on these though.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 968
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1695 on: June 08, 2021, 05:17:54 PM »
Indy bushings work out nice for sure.

Eric Dressen rides or rode the white super soft too. I thought that was kinda cool. 
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #1696 on: June 20, 2021, 11:38:59 PM »
anybody know of rippers or pros that are tranny skaters who skate on ventures? curious about ventures. wanting to try them but i skate mostly bowls n heard the turn is tick tacky?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1697 on: June 21, 2021, 01:36:41 AM »
anybody know of rippers or pros that are tranny skaters who skate on ventures? curious about ventures. wanting to try them but i skate mostly bowls n heard the turn is tick tacky?

Even though you might not see many dudes with Ventures skating tranny, most of them can shred it, but one that comes to mind is Mike Anderson, maybe more well known for street stuff and switch tricks, but he can definitely shred tranny well too.

https://www.instagram.com/mikeanderson/

Almost too many clips to post from here, but if you look through, there are some amazing ones, so just leaving this one for you for now:

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #1698 on: June 21, 2021, 12:57:00 PM »
Yuto skates tranny on venture los

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1699 on: June 21, 2021, 01:01:51 PM »
John Shanahan has a bunch of recent Instagram clips skating vert on ventures.

From personal experience I’ve actually really enjoyed ventures in bowls and tranny. Nice to have some extra stability. With flat top washers the turn feels great

Movies

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1700 on: June 22, 2021, 11:53:08 PM »
I've been on Venture low 5.2's for a long while but I'm looking to size up my whole setup. Thinking about moving to 5.6 or 5.8 and just wondering if anyone has many experience going from lows to highs. Is the geometry pretty much the same except for the height? Does the turn feel really different?

Looking forward to being able to ride a little looser without the wheelbite.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1701 on: June 23, 2021, 12:46:45 AM »
I've been on Venture low 5.2's for a long while but I'm looking to size up my whole setup. Thinking about moving to 5.6 or 5.8 and just wondering if anyone has many experience going from lows to highs. Is the geometry pretty much the same except for the height? Does the turn feel really different?

5.2L are my all time favorite truck for 8" boards specially on board that were long with a short wheelbase, Goldilocks setup was 8 x 32 x 14. Eventually sized up to 8.25" boards and wanted to bring the same Venture feel over, but I've yet to recreate the same success (hefy but floaty pop) even on boards with roughly similar dimensions (8.25 x 31.9 x 14.125).

5.2L have an incredible pinch on ledges, my Smith and Crooked grinds never felt better, but doesn't translate as well to the 5.6, even with cast or forged baseplates.

Turning geometry remains similar but I'm used to not carving, only tick tacking (2000s skater).

Threw a lot of deck dimension combinations at the 5.6 but they just never felt as good as the 5.2L. Really wanted to love them more; I have a pair of V-Hollows and Titanium in 5.6. Excellent pinch but the height and wheelbase displacement are too much for my tired old legs.

To combat my madness I've decided to stick to Thunder 148 on 8.25" decks, 5.2L on 8 - 8.125" decks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Movies

« Reply #1702 on: June 23, 2021, 02:27:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

5.2L are my all time favorite truck for 8" boards specially on board that were long with a short wheelbase, Goldilocks setup was 8 x 32 x 14. Eventually sized up to 8.25" boards and wanted to bring the same Venture feel over, but I've yet to recreate the same success (hefy but floaty pop) even on boards with roughly similar dimensions (8.25 x 31.9 x 14.125).

5.2L have an incredible pinch on ledges, my Smith and Crooked grinds never felt better, but doesn't translate as well to the 5.6, even with cast or forged baseplates.

Turning geometry remains similar but I'm used to not carving, only tick tacking (2000s skater).

Threw a lot of deck dimension combinations at the 5.6 but they just never felt as good as the 5.2L. Really wanted to love them more; I have a pair of V-Hollows and Titanium in 5.6. Excellent pinch but the height and wheelbase displacement are too much for my tired old legs.

To combat my madness I've decided to stick to Thunder 148 on 8.25" decks, 5.2L on 8 - 8.125" decks.

Dude, that's fucking great insight. Thank you. I have been a bit worried about the extra heft and harder pop if sizing up on a long wheelbase truck like Ventures. I'm also from the before times, so an 8" with low Ventures feels like home to me. I always try to stick with a 14" WB or 14.25 max. It definitely worries me to think about riding Ventures on a 14.38 - 14.5 WB deck. Not sure I have the strength to handle a beautiful beast like that. Maybe I'll look into Thunders as a compromise. Thanks again man.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1703 on: June 23, 2021, 03:09:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Dude, that's fucking great insight. Thank you. I have been a bit worried about the extra heft and harder pop if sizing up on a long wheelbase truck like Ventures. I'm also from the before times, so an 8" with low Ventures feels like home to me. I always try to stick with a 14" WB or 14.25 max. It definitely worries me to think about riding Ventures on a 14.38 - 14.5 WB deck. Not sure I have the strength to handle a beautiful beast like that. Maybe I'll look into Thunders as a compromise. Thanks again man.
if you arent looking to size up past 8.5 theres no issue finding 14.25 wb decks with a few sprinklings of 14.0, 14.125, & 14.18s.

do you know what width youre looking for?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Movies

« Reply #1704 on: June 23, 2021, 03:30:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
if you arent looking to size up past 8.5 theres no issue finding 14.25 wb decks with a few sprinklings of 14.0, 14.125, & 14.18s.

I'm thinking minimum 8.25, maximum 8.5. I know Crail has lots of wider boards with a smaller wheelbase but not sure who else. I saw a Maxallure 8.5 recently that had a short wheelbase but I don't know if that shape is in their regular lineup. Crails mellow kicks might pair nicely with a set of tall Ventures?

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1705 on: June 23, 2021, 04:48:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm thinking minimum 8.25, maximum 8.5. I know Crail has lots of wider boards with a smaller wheelbase but not sure who else. I saw a Maxallure 8.5 recently that had a short wheelbase but I don't know if that shape is in their regular lineup. Crails mellow kicks might pair nicely with a set of tall Ventures?

I'm riding a polar 8.25x31.8x14.1 with a set of 5.6hi currently and highly recommend it. I've done a 8.25 girl deck with them before also and that was pretty good.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1706 on: June 23, 2021, 08:11:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm riding a polar 8.25x31.8x14.1 with a set of 5.6hi currently and highly recommend it. I've done a 8.25 girl deck with them before also and that was pretty good.

Ventures really excel at short WB decks coupled with a longer length and medium concave. Recently tried Venture 5.6 Titanium on a Blind (yeah I know) with 8.38 x 32.2 x 14.25 and steep kicks, though the added length would compensate for the longer wheelbase. Didn't have a great time on both forged and cast baseplates, but I will miss that baseplate slide. Swapped out to Thunder 148 and the deck feels so much livelier on the pop and flick. Minor decrease in pinch but my flip tricks (probably my worst aspect) were responsive when I need them to be, especially for leverage tricks like FS Flips and Hardflips.

Again YMMV.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1707 on: June 23, 2021, 09:14:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ventures really excel at short WB decks coupled with a longer length and medium concave. Recently tried Venture 5.6 Titanium on a Blind (yeah I know) with 8.38 x 32.2 x 14.25 and steep kicks, though the added length would compensate for the longer wheelbase. Didn't have a great time on both forged and cast baseplates, but I will miss that baseplate slide. Swapped out to Thunder 148 and the deck feels so much livelier on the pop and flick. Minor decrease in pinch but my flip tricks (probably my worst aspect) were responsive when I need them to be, especially for leverage tricks like FS Flips and Hardflips.

Again YMMV.
@Movies heres my recommendations
fa/hockey 8.38/31.75/14.18
fa/hockey 8.5/31.9/14.25
quasi 8.5/31.75/14.25
scumco 8.5/31.75/14.0

cant get down with mellow kicks and/or 32"+ boards, but ventures with sub 32" boards and steepish kicks is my go to.

i do understand the idea though, mellow kicks + venture = feels like an indy.....venture + longer board = shortens the nose and tail.

as long as the wheelbase is between 14.0-14.25 my 5.6s have been golden. forged plates for 14-14.125 wb and cast for 14.18-14.25
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Movies

« Reply #1708 on: June 23, 2021, 10:29:26 AM »
Thanks @Paperclip20 @rocklobster @off
   Just ordered a Quasi 8.5 and some 5.8 standards. Will report back.

Cheers fellas, thanks for the advice.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1709 on: June 23, 2021, 10:42:31 AM »
had to make a call today to make sure my eyes werent deceiving me

skate warehouse has 5.8 v-hollows in stock and plenty of em. dont buy them all in one go now

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Venture_V-Hollow_AP_High_Truck/descpage-VTHPHTR.html