Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 353451 times)

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 573
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #1950 on: September 28, 2021, 04:55:30 PM »
I DM'd Venture and there is not a 5.6 low truck coming.  Frank just had it wrong.  So bummed.  I want a 5.6 low so bad.

Damn I’m bummed. Thanks for confirming!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1951 on: September 28, 2021, 06:19:58 PM »
Fuck it I'm sizing down to a 8.0 for the Venture 5.2 Lo, this itch must be scratched!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1952 on: September 28, 2021, 06:54:22 PM »
Fuck it I'm sizing down to a 8.0 for the Venture 5.2 Lo, this itch must be scratched!

Get out those old Spitfire Radial Slims, as you gonna need small wheels...

That would be a fun ride though!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #1953 on: September 28, 2021, 08:09:49 PM »
Riding my first pair of Ventures since Kurt Cobain was still alive, and I’m liking them a lot.  I’ve stayed away from them because they seemed too low/small, but the highs are actually really beefy and feel really solid.  Pleasantly surprised. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1954 on: September 28, 2021, 08:20:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Get out those old Spitfire Radial Slims, as you gonna need small wheels...

That would be a fun ride though!

I gave those away, I can't do 50mm wheels. Maybe I'll finally start riding my colored F4 wheels
shudders
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

s0lkatt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1955 on: September 29, 2021, 06:24:42 AM »
What aftermarket bushings are you guys using? My stock ones cracked on my 5.8s and I got doh-dohs, but they fell apart almost instantly. Love the stock bushings shame they had to die.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1956 on: September 29, 2021, 08:28:11 AM »
What aftermarket bushings are you guys using? My stock ones cracked on my 5.8s and I got doh-dohs, but they fell apart almost instantly. Love the stock bushings shame they had to die.

i am once again shilling the deluxe supercush bushings preferably with the flat washer on top

from what ive ascertained on here they're generally the best aftermarket bushings for ventures, i went for the orange 90a's.

thebacker

« Reply #1957 on: September 29, 2021, 12:20:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i am once again shilling the deluxe supercush bushings preferably with the flat washer on top

from what ive ascertained on here they're generally the best aftermarket bushings for ventures, i went for the orange 90a's.
the orange bushings feel yummy

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1958 on: September 29, 2021, 07:01:57 PM »
Expand Quote
I can get 5.2 low v-lights pretty handy but I really wanna get the hollows. Will cost me a fortune in shipping.

Is the weight difference that noticable?
[close]

I’ve skated the 5.6 vhollows and 5.6 vlights. There is no noticeable difference between the two trucks.

The weight difference only become noticeable when going 2 models up or down (from Titanium to Light / Standard), 1 model difference doesn't feel like it's worth the effort to swap wheels out unless you're setting up a fresh board and want to deal with the hassle.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
the orange bushings feel yummy

I'm on Bones Medium - they definitely help the turn but something about the original purple / red ones that, while imperfect, have the right amount of suck. They make Ventures feel like Ventures, with the limited turn, I'm partially convinced they make for a better pinch too.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #1959 on: September 29, 2021, 08:52:37 PM »

Riding Thunder hard black 100a with my 5.2 lows. I sanded down the bottom bushing from 14mm to 13mm. I like the somewhat conical shape.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #1960 on: September 30, 2021, 05:12:15 AM »
Hard to find the 5.6 ti’s I’ll probably just end up getting the vhollows. Probably going to switch baseplates just because I like the cast for the decks I’ve been riding.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1961 on: September 30, 2021, 05:33:55 AM »
Hard to find the 5.6 ti’s I’ll probably just end up getting the vhollows. Probably going to switch baseplates just because I like the cast for the decks I’ve been riding.
are you in need for a pair of hollows? i have a set im no longer going to use since sizing up to 5.8s. pm me if youre interested

excuse the shameless plug
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

logjammin

• Rep: 324
« Reply #1962 on: September 30, 2021, 09:02:55 AM »
I see over and over a lot of people say Venture's "delayed" turn, etc. but if you're willing to just mess with them a little bit I promise you it will unlock the turning. Putting some 1/8" risers underneath is the biggest step. Shave some little paraffin wax slices and put them into the stock pivot cups, it will make them perform just like Riptides and save you $. Remove the top washer, don't even use a flat Bones washer. Use a softer bottom bushing and then a harder top for a snappier turn. I've been doing just this, while I do also use those Array sleeved washers for the bottom bushings, paired with boards that have a 14.25wb (haven't gone shorter yet) and the turning is seriously just as satisfying as Ace for me, no bs.

Another thing I feel that gets overlooked with Venture is not only does the kingpin sit super low, resolving the issue of having to mess around with inverted pins, but the yoke is tucked behind the baseplate so hangups are pretty much non-existent. I see no other truck on the market with this design. I think Ventures are seriously underrated, they are such a damn good truck and can do anything. Kook rant over, cheers grinders.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #1963 on: September 30, 2021, 10:26:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
are you in need for a pair of hollows? i have a set im no longer going to use since sizing up to 5.8s. pm me if youre interested

Might hold out a little longer for the TI. I’ll keep it in mind and appreciate the response. Thanks dude

How did you like them?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1964 on: September 30, 2021, 11:20:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Might hold out a little longer for the TI. I’ll keep it in mind and appreciate the response. Thanks dude

How did you like them?
second favorite truck ive tried behind 5.8s, 8.5 axles are more versatile imo.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #1965 on: September 30, 2021, 12:17:33 PM »
I see over and over a lot of people say Venture's "delayed" turn, etc. but if you're willing to just mess with them a little bit I promise you it will unlock the turning. Putting some 1/8" risers underneath is the biggest step. Shave some little paraffin wax slices and put them into the stock pivot cups, it will make them perform just like Riptides and save you $. Remove the top washer, don't even use a flat Bones washer. Use a softer bottom bushing and then a harder top for a snappier turn. I've been doing just this, while I do also use those Array sleeved washers for the bottom bushings, paired with boards that have a 14.25wb (haven't gone shorter yet) and the turning is seriously just as satisfying as Ace for me, no bs.

Another thing I feel that gets overlooked with Venture is not only does the kingpin sit super low, resolving the issue of having to mess around with inverted pins, but the yoke is tucked behind the baseplate so hangups are pretty much non-existent. I see no other truck on the market with this design. I think Ventures are seriously underrated, they are such a damn good truck and can do anything. Kook rant over, cheers grinders.

Thanks for this post. I’m going to have to give this a try. I’ve got some Ace low bushings, Array sleeved washers and 1/8th risers laying around.

Maybe I’ll put them on this Hockey deck that I wasn’t enjoying with Aces before.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1966 on: September 30, 2021, 11:22:32 PM »

Promade 8.0 - Steep kicks and concave, the nose is just a hair longer than the tail, so its almost twin tail in length, steepness goes well with Venture Forged, 8 x 31.8 x 14.25
Venture 5.2 V-Hollow Lo - Has an itch that needed to be scratched, more about that below, I usually do 3 washers on the inside but I may need to go back to 2
Autobahn 52mm Street Slims - Didn't feel like cracking open new F4s and had these lying around, Autobahn is definitely underrated
Assorted Bearings
Assorted Hardware - Couldn't find s set of matching hardware in 7/8" (2 red, 1 yellow, 1 green, 1 silver, 3 black), so I stuck the 2 reds at the nose and used a paint marker on the rest
Jessup griptape

First time riding an 8.0 in over a year, sized down because I wanted to get the legendary Venture Lo pinch back. Width was the easier to get used to, dimensions were tougher, usually avoid WB longer than 14.125. Sizing down did make the pop much easier but my timing was off for 1/2 the session, definitely felt less confident on rail tricks. Flips were also easier, but I had to shorten by drag and flick off faster.

On to the trucks - while the rest of the setup was a nightmare for the first 2 hours, the pinch on Venture was INSANELY GOOD. Coupled with a smaller wheel (I'm not riding 54mm wheels on a 8.0), I felt like I could hold my Crooked grinds much longer and exit much more confidently, Slight Nollie out beats flopping off the end. Also felt confident enough to do some BS Smiths on the ledge, something very hit and miss for me.

Setting up the board had a sense of foreshadowing - if the setup process ain't feeling right (with the hardware), prospects aren't looking good for the setup. But once I stopped whining it and got adjusted it was fine. Not sure if the juice was worth the squeeze - all that adjustment just to ride Ventures.

1 3-hour session isn't enough to pass judgement, so we'll see how the weekend goes.

X-post from The Setup Thread

Yes the pinch on the 5.2 Lo excellent was unbelievably good, still not sure if all that adjustment to ride them was worth the effort. Need a few more sessions to make a decision.

Also, I take back what I said about the stock bushing being the best. The turn was adequate but I could never get the tightness just right. Either too loose and I was squirming around as I pushed with my board, or to tight then I felt like I wasn't turning.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Fhk

« Reply #1967 on: October 01, 2021, 06:34:47 AM »
Expand Quote

Promade 8.0 - Steep kicks and concave, the nose is just a hair longer than the tail, so its almost twin tail in length, steepness goes well with Venture Forged, 8 x 31.8 x 14.25
Venture 5.2 V-Hollow Lo - Has an itch that needed to be scratched, more about that below, I usually do 3 washers on the inside but I may need to go back to 2
Autobahn 52mm Street Slims - Didn't feel like cracking open new F4s and had these lying around, Autobahn is definitely underrated
Assorted Bearings
Assorted Hardware - Couldn't find s set of matching hardware in 7/8" (2 red, 1 yellow, 1 green, 1 silver, 3 black), so I stuck the 2 reds at the nose and used a paint marker on the rest
Jessup griptape

First time riding an 8.0 in over a year, sized down because I wanted to get the legendary Venture Lo pinch back. Width was the easier to get used to, dimensions were tougher, usually avoid WB longer than 14.125. Sizing down did make the pop much easier but my timing was off for 1/2 the session, definitely felt less confident on rail tricks. Flips were also easier, but I had to shorten by drag and flick off faster.

On to the trucks - while the rest of the setup was a nightmare for the first 2 hours, the pinch on Venture was INSANELY GOOD. Coupled with a smaller wheel (I'm not riding 54mm wheels on a 8.0), I felt like I could hold my Crooked grinds much longer and exit much more confidently, Slight Nollie out beats flopping off the end. Also felt confident enough to do some BS Smiths on the ledge, something very hit and miss for me.

Setting up the board had a sense of foreshadowing - if the setup process ain't feeling right (with the hardware), prospects aren't looking good for the setup. But once I stopped whining it and got adjusted it was fine. Not sure if the juice was worth the squeeze - all that adjustment just to ride Ventures.

1 3-hour session isn't enough to pass judgement, so we'll see how the weekend goes.
[close]

X-post from The Setup Thread

Yes the pinch on the 5.2 Lo excellent was unbelievably good, still not sure if all that adjustment to ride them was worth the effort. Need a few more sessions to make a decision.

Also, I take back what I said about the stock bushing being the best. The turn was adequate but I could never get the tightness just right. Either too loose and I was squirming around as I pushed with my board, or to tight then I felt like I wasn't turning.
Nice setup man! I eventually got done with the Los because of the same problem finding my preferred tightness. Back in the day when I was lighter it wasn't a problem. I went to hi's and can run them nut flush pretty happily.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1968 on: October 01, 2021, 07:28:36 AM »
Venture turn just fine. It’s not hard to learn, lean a bit harder near the end. The Lo are another story, but otherwise it’s not that hard to get used to considering all the other micro adjustments we have to do to do tricks.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1969 on: October 01, 2021, 07:50:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree. The weight reduction of hollow is balanced by the longer
wb.

Carrying the board is a different story tho. The hollow hangers is very much lighter and in combination with cast plates they feel lighter to me

Quote from: LewFarrell

link=topic=108614.msg3649323#msg3649323 date=1632973957
Expand Quote
[close]

Riding Thunder hard black 100a with my 5.2 lows. I sanded down the bottom bushing from 14mm to 13mm. I like the somewhat conical shape.

I'm pretty sure orchard has some bait and tackle

Not 💯 on that.

In a few weeks I'll be on the white Indy bushings because they take a few hrs more to freeze than the purps do.

I should just try the new ace bushing size.

Ace hands down has the best out the box stock bushings
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Fhk

« Reply #1970 on: October 01, 2021, 08:09:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I agree. The weight reduction of hollow is balanced by the longer
wb.

Carrying the board is a different story tho. The hollow hangers is very much lighter and in combination with cast plates they feel lighter to me

Quote from: LewFarrell

link=topic=108614.msg3649323#msg3649323 date=1632973957
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm pretty sure orchard has some bait and tackle

Not 💯 on that.

In a few weeks I'll be on the white Indy bushings because they take a few hrs more to freeze than the purps do.

I should just try the new ace bushing size.

Ace hands down has the best out the box stock bushings
Great idea @Uncle Flea Im going to try my spare ace bushings in my Ventures today. Its already in the high 30s low 40s in the morning where I live so it's time to do something. I will report back if you like.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1971 on: October 02, 2021, 11:11:30 PM »
Venture turn just fine. It’s not hard to learn, lean a bit harder near the end. The Lo are another story, but otherwise it’s not that hard to get used to considering all the other micro adjustments we have to do to do tricks.

Skated 3 day with weekends with Venture 5.2 Lo (by proxy sizing down from 8.25 to 8.0 and 54 to 51mm wheels) and here's my field report:

Day 1:
Horrible time adjusting to the width and took some bad slams. The pinch on Crooked grinds was excellent but I wasn't sure if it was worth losing the stability of 8.25 decks. Flip tricks were more ass than usual.

Day 2:
The DIY spot was wet and even after mopping up the place the ground was very damp, 51mm skinny wheels are ass on moist ground. Pinch on grinds got progressively better, on Crooked grinds I was grinding further and exiting with much more control, could really feel myself sitting onto the truck and grinding. Slides felt way more sketchy because of the smaller deck especially for tricks that benefit from being firmly planted on the ledge. Staples like my FS Noseslide took forever. Flat ground still ass.

Day 3:
Rough day, couldn't get out of the warm up. Couldn't find the pinch on my grinds from the day before. Nothing of note grind and slides wise but sizing down definitely improved my kickflips.

Overall the experiment was fun but painful. Riding the 5.2 Lo was fun but not at the expense sizing down and feeling less comfortable on my other tricks. Maybe an 8.125?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1972 on: October 03, 2021, 07:35:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Skated 3 day with weekends with Venture 5.2 Lo (by proxy sizing down from 8.25 to 8.0 and 54 to 51mm wheels) and here's my field report:

Day 1:
Horrible time adjusting to the width and took some bad slams. The pinch on Crooked grinds was excellent but I wasn't sure if it was worth losing the stability of 8.25 decks. Flip tricks were more ass than usual.

Day 2:
The DIY spot was wet and even after mopping up the place the ground was very damp, 51mm skinny wheels are ass on moist ground. Pinch on grinds got progressively better, on Crooked grinds I was grinding further and exiting with much more control, could really feel myself sitting onto the truck and grinding. Slides felt way more sketchy because of the smaller deck especially for tricks that benefit from being firmly planted on the ledge. Staples like my FS Noseslide took forever. Flat ground still ass.

Day 3:
Rough day, couldn't get out of the warm up. Couldn't find the pinch on my grinds from the day before. Nothing of note grind and slides wise but sizing down definitely improved my kickflips.

Overall the experiment was fun but painful. Riding the 5.2 Lo was fun but not at the expense sizing down and feeling less comfortable on my other tricks. Maybe an 8.125?

I am feeling your pain, but I know I still have some old smaller well used complete boards I just cannot part with, tucked away.  Might never ride them again, but they are always there if I feel like trying one again.

The best thing is from skating one of those (8.125) for a session as I did last month, I feel justified in going back to my regular ride now (8.38) and feeling like it works better for my happy (lazy) skating nowdays.

If you never try it again, you will always wish you did though...

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1973 on: October 03, 2021, 06:55:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

[close]

I am feeling your pain, but I know I still have some old smaller well used complete boards I just cannot part with, tucked away.  Might never ride them again, but they are always there if I feel like trying one again.

The best thing is from skating one of those (8.125) for a session as I did last month, I feel justified in going back to my regular ride now (8.38) and feeling like it works better for my happy (lazy) skating nowdays.

First time I made a drastic change to my setup in close to a year. I was alternating between 8 - 8.5, wheelbases and trucks. A change up is fun once in a while, not not every setup.

Didn't think I would be able to ride 8 x 31.75 x 14.25 but it's acceptable with Ventures. Baker dimensions (8 x 31.5 x 14.25) are still the worst for me.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1974 on: October 03, 2021, 09:00:54 PM »
Going from nice old ventures to brand new ones is dangerous. I crashed into the plate glass window at the 76 stairs (curbs). That shit has never broke After decades of getting smashed by skaters bladders and drunks. it would be poetic justice for me to lose my arms there and bleed to death.

Weed.

2016 hyundai genesis 3.8 r spec 0 60
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 06:12:30 PM by Uncle Flea »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #1975 on: October 04, 2021, 07:20:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

[close]

[close]
Didn't think I would be able to ride 8 x 31.75 x 14.25 but it's acceptable with Ventures. Baker dimensions (8 x 31.5 x 14.25) are still the worst for me.
I had to switch from baker to dlx boards when I switched trucks. Those weird ass wheelbase sizes are the shit.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #1976 on: October 04, 2021, 10:26:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

[close]

[close]

First time I made a drastic change to my setup in close to a year. I was alternating between 8 - 8.5, wheelbases and trucks. A change up is fun once in a while, not not every setup.

When I was experimenting with smaller boards I tried an 8 x 31.5 x 14.25 baker with 5.2 highs and couldn’t do it. The pop just felt too hefty n weird for me.
Coincidentally, the baker 8.47 x 31.875 x 14.25 on 5.8s is my favorite combo ever, and what I’ve been rocking for a while now. The combo just makes the pop feel so good, the tail doesn’t feel too light but doesn’t feel too heavy either.
I remember trying 5.2 lows for a little bit as well but just couldn’t get used to them. Was just too used to the highs. My timing just felt off. I switched back to the highs after just a few sessions.

logjammin

• Rep: 324
« Reply #1977 on: October 05, 2021, 10:44:36 AM »
I'm eagerly waiting for these titanium 5.8's to drop anywhere.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1978 on: October 05, 2021, 10:52:45 AM »
what is the best for 8.5" deck for Venture. is it a 6.0" ?

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #1979 on: October 05, 2021, 11:59:11 AM »
what is the best for 8.5" deck for Venture. is it a 6.0" ?

5.8s have an 8.5” axle
SPB!