Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 349492 times)

Peepeeboy69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #1980 on: October 05, 2021, 05:33:40 PM »
i got a pair of 5.0his and i can barely get the dang thing to turn

I think i have them as loose as I can without the nut being able to wiggle off and still i can barely turn before the board just tips over

Fhk

« Reply #1981 on: October 05, 2021, 05:36:24 PM »
I put my 6.1 hollows on my new 9" Polar with a 14.5 wb. This is uncharted territory for me. Anyone ever try this craziness?

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #1982 on: October 05, 2021, 05:43:14 PM »
i got a pair of 5.0his and i can barely get the dang thing to turn

I think i have them as loose as I can without the nut being able to wiggle off and still i can barely turn before the board just tips over

few things to try in no particular order:
  • no top washer
  • flat top washer
  • softer bushings
hth

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #1983 on: October 06, 2021, 07:27:22 AM »
I put my 6.1 hollows on my new 9" Polar with a 14.5 wb. This is uncharted territory for me. Anyone ever try this craziness?
I’m skating 6.1s on a shaped polar, I don’t know what the wb is though, but it seems fine.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1984 on: October 06, 2021, 09:21:51 AM »
6.1 cast = +3.125
6.1 forged = +3.25

polars are always too mellow for my liking so maybe forged plates would help?

anytime ive tried ventures past 14.25 wb, pop feel was way too heavy. 14.38 with cast plate 6.1s probably wouldnt be awful off the math alone
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Fhk

« Reply #1985 on: October 06, 2021, 10:16:02 AM »
6.1 cast = +3.125
6.1 forged = +3.25

polars are always too mellow for my liking so maybe forged plates would help?

anytime ive tried ventures past 14.25 wb, pop feel was way too heavy. 14.38 with cast plate 6.1s probably wouldnt be awful off the math alone
Thanks man, I dont think it will go well, but I will give it a shot. My only other big trucks are classic 66s so I'm hoping something clicks. My legs are tired  :)

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 300
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #1986 on: October 06, 2021, 11:07:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Venture turn just fine. It’s not hard to learn, lean a bit harder near the end. The Lo are another story, but otherwise it’s not that hard to get used to considering all the other micro adjustments we have to do to do tricks.
[close]

Skated 3 day with weekends with Venture 5.2 Lo (by proxy sizing down from 8.25 to 8.0 and 54 to 51mm wheels) and here's my field report:

Day 1:
Horrible time adjusting to the width and took some bad slams. The pinch on Crooked grinds was excellent but I wasn't sure if it was worth losing the stability of 8.25 decks. Flip tricks were more ass than usual.

Day 2:
The DIY spot was wet and even after mopping up the place the ground was very damp, 51mm skinny wheels are ass on moist ground. Pinch on grinds got progressively better, on Crooked grinds I was grinding further and exiting with much more control, could really feel myself sitting onto the truck and grinding. Slides felt way more sketchy because of the smaller deck especially for tricks that benefit from being firmly planted on the ledge. Staples like my FS Noseslide took forever. Flat ground still ass.

Day 3:
Rough day, couldn't get out of the warm up. Couldn't find the pinch on my grinds from the day before. Nothing of note grind and slides wise but sizing down definitely improved my kickflips.

Overall the experiment was fun but painful. Riding the 5.2 Lo was fun but not at the expense sizing down and feeling less comfortable on my other tricks. Maybe an 8.125?
[close]

I am feeling your pain, but I know I still have some old smaller well used complete boards I just cannot part with, tucked away.  Might never ride them again, but they are always there if I feel like trying one again.

The best thing is from skating one of those (8.125) for a session as I did last month, I feel justified in going back to my regular ride now (8.38) and feeling like it works better for my happy (lazy) skating nowdays.

If you never try it again, you will always wish you did though...

[close]

First time I made a drastic change to my setup in close to a year. I was alternating between 8 - 8.5, wheelbases and trucks. A change up is fun once in a while, not not every setup.

Didn't think I would be able to ride 8 x 31.75 x 14.25 but it's acceptable with Ventures. Baker dimensions (8 x 31.5 x 14.25) are still the worst for me.
[close]
When I was experimenting with smaller boards I tried an 8 x 31.5 x 14.25 baker with 5.2 highs and couldn’t do it. The pop just felt too hefty n weird for me.
Coincidentally, the baker 8.47 x 31.875 x 14.25 on 5.8s is my favorite combo ever, and what I’ve been rocking for a while now. The combo just makes the pop feel so good, the tail doesn’t feel too light but doesn’t feel too heavy either.
I remember trying 5.2 lows for a little bit as well but just couldn’t get used to them. Was just too used to the highs. My timing just felt off. I switched back to the highs after just a few sessions.

I don't find the Baker dimensions (8 x 31.5 x 14.25) with cast Venture highs to be bad at all. I've seen two instances where this was mentioned. I feel like as long as there's good amount of fingers of flat, mellow kicks, and the WB is 14.25" or smaller, that it should work. From most Bakers I've seen, this is generally the case. I think it would be nice if the tail was slightly longer, but overall, the only difference I've felt on this setup is the WB (I typically prefer 14"). I don't understand how people run Ventures on FA/Hockey shapes. Nollie ghost pop for days when I tried it

Fhk

« Reply #1987 on: October 06, 2021, 11:27:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I’m skating 6.1s on a shaped polar, I don’t know what the wb is though, but it seems fine.
I think most of their shaped decks are in the 14.5 range (maybe not), so you never know maybe it will feel fine for me.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1988 on: October 06, 2021, 06:15:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Venture turn just fine. It’s not hard to learn, lean a bit harder near the end. The Lo are another story, but otherwise it’s not that hard to get used to considering all the other micro adjustments we have to do to do tricks.
[close]

Skated 3 day with weekends with Venture 5.2 Lo (by proxy sizing down from 8.25 to 8.0 and 54 to 51mm wheels) and here's my field report:

Day 1:
Horrible time adjusting to the width and took some bad slams. The pinch on Crooked grinds was excellent but I wasn't sure if it was worth losing the stability of 8.25 decks. Flip tricks were more ass than usual.

Day 2:
The DIY spot was wet and even after mopping up the place the ground was very damp, 51mm skinny wheels are ass on moist ground. Pinch on grinds got progressively better, on Crooked grinds I was grinding further and exiting with much more control, could really feel myself sitting onto the truck and grinding. Slides felt way more sketchy because of the smaller deck especially for tricks that benefit from being firmly planted on the ledge. Staples like my FS Noseslide took forever. Flat ground still ass.

Day 3:
Rough day, couldn't get out of the warm up. Couldn't find the pinch on my grinds from the day before. Nothing of note grind and slides wise but sizing down definitely improved my kickflips.

Overall the experiment was fun but painful. Riding the 5.2 Lo was fun but not at the expense sizing down and feeling less comfortable on my other tricks. Maybe an 8.125?
[close]

I am feeling your pain, but I know I still have some old smaller well used complete boards I just cannot part with, tucked away.  Might never ride them again, but they are always there if I feel like trying one again.

The best thing is from skating one of those (8.125) for a session as I did last month, I feel justified in going back to my regular ride now (8.38) and feeling like it works better for my happy (lazy) skating nowdays.

If you never try it again, you will always wish you did though...

[close]

First time I made a drastic change to my setup in close to a year. I was alternating between 8 - 8.5, wheelbases and trucks. A change up is fun once in a while, not not every setup.

Didn't think I would be able to ride 8 x 31.75 x 14.25 but it's acceptable with Ventures. Baker dimensions (8 x 31.5 x 14.25) are still the worst for me.
[close]
When I was experimenting with smaller boards I tried an 8 x 31.5 x 14.25 baker with 5.2 highs and couldn’t do it. The pop just felt too hefty n weird for me.
Coincidentally, the baker 8.47 x 31.875 x 14.25 on 5.8s is my favorite combo ever, and what I’ve been rocking for a while now. The combo just makes the pop feel so good, the tail doesn’t feel too light but doesn’t feel too heavy either.
I remember trying 5.2 lows for a little bit as well but just couldn’t get used to them. Was just too used to the highs. My timing just felt off. I switched back to the highs after just a few sessions.
[close]

I don't find the Baker dimensions (8 x 31.5 x 14.25) with cast Venture highs to be bad at all. I've seen two instances where this was mentioned. I feel like as long as there's good amount of fingers of flat, mellow kicks, and the WB is 14.25" or smaller, that it should work. From most Bakers I've seen, this is generally the case. I think it would be nice if the tail was slightly longer, but overall, the only difference I've felt on this setup is the WB (I typically prefer 14"). I don't understand how people run Ventures on FA/Hockey shapes. Nollie ghost pop for days when I tried it

Entirely possible, and I just hate Baker shapes in general. Couldn't get into them when they were under Blitz (too mellow) and can't get into them now because of the length / WB. Maybe the B2 shapes are worth a shake.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1989 on: October 07, 2021, 07:34:41 AM »
liking this bushing combo with my 5.8s
cracked stock purple tops with broken in indy 78a bottoms
bones top washers + flat bottom washers (hardware store)
nuts slightly looser than flush and riptides

all thats left to try now is the 88a supercush
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #1990 on: October 09, 2021, 05:42:20 AM »
Had a regretful purchase of some 5.6’s last night. Got home and realized I actually like the width of my 5.8’s and how ground down they are already. Btw, anyone curious about running Ace bushings in their Venture’s, the bottom and top bushings are too tall, and the top one sits funky it’s like too wide, sticking with my supercush’s they’re perfect. Also, all new Venture standards come with black axle and kingpin nuts along with the bushing washers now (yuck). But that’s a good way to know you have the latest batch of alum.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #1991 on: October 09, 2021, 06:02:20 AM »
Had a regretful purchase of some 5.6’s last night. Got home and realized I actually like the width of my 5.8’s and how ground down they are already. Btw, anyone curious about running Ace bushings in their Venture’s, the bottom and top bushings are too tall, and the top one sits funky it’s like too wide, sticking with my supercush’s they’re perfect. Also, all new Venture standards come with black axle and kingpin nuts along with the bushing washers now (yuck). But that’s a good way to know you have the latest batch of alum.
Just like Thunder standards.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1992 on: October 09, 2021, 08:13:20 AM »
if you skate venture, have a blessed day
thats all

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1993 on: October 09, 2021, 11:27:32 AM »

If you get the ace low bushings they work really well. Been skating 5.6 v hollows with them and using flat too washer and the feel is perfect

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1994 on: October 09, 2021, 04:35:41 PM »
if you skate venture, have a blessed day
thats all
TOTTM

The
Only
Truck
That
Matters
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1995 on: October 09, 2021, 05:30:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The number of people who swapped out the full gold set of nuts and washers from Ventures was astounding, from back when everything was gold.

I still have way too many spares of those floating around.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1996 on: October 09, 2021, 06:22:37 PM »
Just eyeballing my trucks gives me joy. It's like looking at a mag or whatever. Get lost in the details are time passes slower.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #1997 on: October 10, 2021, 05:49:08 AM »
Just eyeballing my trucks gives me joy. It's like looking at a mag or whatever. Get lost in the details are time passes slower.
I do the same thing. I like looking at my setup and observing all the details. The grooves of my trucks. The scrapes on my deck. It's an obsession but I love it lol.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #1998 on: October 10, 2021, 06:38:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I do the same thing. I like looking at my setup and observing all the details. The grooves of my trucks. The scrapes on my deck. It's an obsession but I love it lol.

it's sorta like a therapy..same feeling when setting up a christmas complete or gripping a new board.

logjammin

« Reply #1999 on: October 10, 2021, 07:38:31 AM »
SoCal has titaniums ya’ll

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #2000 on: October 10, 2021, 08:08:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

it's sorta like a therapy..same feeling when setting up a christmas complete or gripping a new board.
I dread looking at a Christmas complete. Everything still looking way too new and untouched, just knowing that I still have to break in the new trucks/bushings and the struggles that are gonna come with it..... it’s enough to get me in a brief panic if I sit and think about it for too long hah. I can definitely agree with the gripping a new board thing tho or just sitting and staring at a nice beat up pair of trucks on your setup; it’s such a joyful feeling.

Boog

« Reply #2001 on: October 10, 2021, 11:08:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I dread looking at a Christmas complete. Everything still looking way too new and untouched, just knowing that I still have to break in the new trucks/bushings and the struggles that are gonna come with it..... it’s enough to get me in a brief panic if I sit and think about it for too long hah. I can definitely agree with the gripping a new board thing tho or just sitting and staring at a nice beat up pair of trucks on your setup; it’s such a joyful feeling.
Yes I agree. Christmas complete is anxiety. Broken in setup is therapy. My wife thinks I'm weird and obsessed lol. I am and I'm proud of it.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #2002 on: October 10, 2021, 04:33:29 PM »
When I have too much new I plan how I skate ie. Spots I know, tricks I can do......makes things a lot easier...

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2003 on: October 10, 2021, 05:56:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
Yes I agree. Christmas complete is anxiety. Broken in setup is therapy. My wife thinks I'm weird and obsessed lol. I am and I'm proud of it.
Brand new everything except some old ass trucks is my happy place.

Boog

« Reply #2004 on: October 10, 2021, 06:15:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
Brand new everything except some old ass trucks is my happy place.
That's the best feeling.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2005 on: October 10, 2021, 06:57:53 PM »
SoCal has titaniums ya’ll

I just ordered some V-Hollow Lights a couple days ago, but saw that they were gonna drop the Ti's shortly after.

Titaniums fucking expensive as shit now

Still copped and will now be returning my V-Hollows upon delivery

logjammin

« Reply #2006 on: October 11, 2021, 07:37:54 AM »
Yeah $90, fuck it tho

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2007 on: October 11, 2021, 01:14:34 PM »
Yeah $90, fuck it tho

V-Hollow Lights were $50 from Tactics too

I knew like 2 months from now though that I would've wished I went for the Ti's so alas here we are

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #2008 on: October 12, 2021, 07:02:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

The number of people who swapped out the full gold set of nuts and washers from Ventures was astounding, from back when everything was gold.

I still have way too many spares of those floating around.

Adversely speaking I noticed a few sets of Thunder 148 standards with plain silver hardware yesterday. Odd move to do black on the Venture when I think most would prefer plain silver on both brands.

IpathCats

« Reply #2009 on: October 13, 2021, 06:34:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If I'm not mistaken, this might be Kader's setup...

Think I remember reynolds saying kader skated 8.5 decks and 8.5 ventures, with 1/8" risers, and 60mm f4 classic shape. But he's switched up a lot, could've changed by now.