Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 349510 times)

overwaxed, YMCMB and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 312
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2010 on: October 14, 2021, 06:52:26 AM »
Got my titaniums already and held a brand new 5.6 standard in one hand and 5.8 titanium in the other...these things are stupid light. Set them up and can't wait til it stops raining every fucking day here.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2011 on: October 14, 2021, 08:32:02 AM »
I’m about to become “awake”. Should be getting some V-hollow Lights 5.6 in the mail on the next day or so… I’ve been on Indys for a long time I’m not sure how bad the learning curve will be, but I’m excited to at least try something new. Last set of Ventures I had was over a decade ago…

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #2012 on: October 14, 2021, 08:34:56 AM »
I’m about to become “awake”. Should be getting some V-hollow Lights 5.6 in the mail on the next day or so… I’ve been on Indys for a long time I’m not sure how bad the learning curve will be, but I’m excited to at least try something new. Last set of Ventures I had was over a decade ago…

There's no learning curve. these trucks go in a straight line

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #2013 on: October 14, 2021, 10:39:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Only someone who is not AWAKE would say such an ignorant statement. Ventures turn plenty, just like any truck dial them in with differnent bushings if you don't vibe with the stocks. Top washer removal or flat is mandatory no matter what truck. That's the first step to success. Then after waxing the cups you're pretty much fully woke.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #2014 on: October 14, 2021, 01:18:05 PM »
Honestly they don’t really turn all that different, at least to me. Some people will tell you how different the turning feels but to me it’s pretty damn similar (I’m talking about venture hi’s compared to indys of course, not venture lows).

The real adjustment you might have to get used to is the pop feel that Ventures give vs. Indy, and the grind feel as well. If you’re used to the light pop feel that indys give then prepare for a rude awakening (pun intended) with ventures. They make it to where your tail feels a lot heavier to pop, which could be a bit of a bitch to get used to for flip tricks. Prepare for ghost pop and having to use a lot more effort when popping. For tricks that require a lot of ollie power though you might find that the heavier feeling pop is more beneficial cuz it makes getting a higher, floatier, more controlled ollie easier. I actually forgot how big of a difference the pop feel was from indys until recently when I stepped on a friends board who had the same exact board shape and dimensions and wheel size as me, the only difference was that he had indys on while I had ventures, and his tail felt light as fuck. Like, noticeably lighter to the point where flip tricks were a lot easier to get around but popping ollies felt super anemic so it was hard to get a higher more controlled ollie. I knew ventures made your tail feel heavier and indys make ‘em feel lighter but I didn’t know it would be THAT noticeable, it was pretty crazy. Of course, I’m just speaking from my own personal experience, who knows, you might not have any ghost pop issues at all.

Also, ventures grind feels a bit more laggy for chunkier curbs. Ventures have like a real “stop go stop go” grind feeling if that makes sense, like a more tuggy feeling grind, a grind you kinda got to tug through, while Indys tend to have a smoother feeling grind where you just glide all the way through with no tugs. Grinding something chunky with ventures might require more wax with ventures than with indys.

Also one more thing: if you ride more on the looser side then you might notice that ventures give you a more stable and comfortable feeling loose vs a more squirrelly and harder to control loose with indys.

Hope you like em tho! Keep this thread updated on how you end up feeling about them! Indys and ventures are my favorite trucks and I always find myself alternating between the two these days. They both have their pros n cons.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2015 on: October 14, 2021, 01:42:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Honestly they don’t really turn all that different, at least to me. Some people will tell you how different the turning feels but to me it’s pretty damn similar (I’m talking about venture hi’s compared to indys of course, not venture lows).

The real adjustment you might have to get used to is the pop feel that Ventures give vs. Indy, and the grind feel as well. If you’re used to the light pop feel that indys give then prepare for a rude awakening (pun intended) with ventures. They make it to where your tail feels a lot heavier to pop, which could be a bit of a bitch to get used to for flip tricks. Prepare for ghost pop and having to use a lot more effort when popping. For tricks that require a lot of ollie power though you might find that the heavier feeling pop is more beneficial cuz it makes getting a higher, floatier, more controlled ollie easier. I actually forgot how big of a difference the pop feel was from indys until recently when I stepped on a friends board who had the same exact board shape and dimensions and wheel size as me, the only difference was that he had indys on while I had ventures, and his tail felt light as fuck. Like, noticeably lighter to the point where flip tricks were a lot easier to get around but popping ollies felt super anemic so it was hard to get a higher more controlled ollie. I knew ventures made your tail feel heavier and indys make ‘em feel lighter but I didn’t know it would be THAT noticeable, it was pretty crazy. Of course, I’m just speaking from my own personal experience, who knows, you might not have any ghost pop issues at all.

Also, ventures grind feels a bit more laggy for chunkier curbs. Ventures have like a real “stop go stop go” grind feeling if that makes sense, like a more tuggy feeling grind, a grind you kinda got to tug through, while Indys tend to have a smoother feeling grind where you just glide all the way through with no tugs. Grinding something chunky with ventures might require more wax with ventures than with indys.

Also one more thing: if you ride more on the looser side then you might notice that ventures give you a more stable and comfortable feeling loose vs a more squirrelly and harder to control loose with indys.

Hope you like em tho! Keep this thread updated on how you end up feeling about them! Indys and ventures are my favorite trucks and I always find myself alternating between the two these days. They both have their pros n cons.

Cheers man! I do believe the turn will be fine… I’ve been seeing videos of pros skating them and doesn’t seem like they have any problem turning. They actually look somehow surfy from the footage I’m seeing. I did get the V-hollow lights, so hopefully the lighter truck makes up for the heavier pop. They are also a bit lower at 53.5mm, altho that’s the hight of my indy forged hollows. Tbh I’m just excited to try something new… if it doesn’t work out I’ll try something else.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #2016 on: October 14, 2021, 01:53:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Cheers man! I do believe the turn will be fine… I’ve been seeing videos of pros skating them and doesn’t seem like they have any problem turning. They actually look somehow surfy from the footage I’m seeing. I did get the V-hollow lights, so hopefully the lighter truck makes up for the heavier pop. They are also a bit lower at 53.5mm, altho that’s the hight of my indy forged hollows. Tbh I’m just excited to try something new… if it doesn’t work out I’ll try something else.
As long as you ride a shorter wheelbase deck like 14 to 14 25 the pop will feel perfect.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2017 on: October 14, 2021, 02:10:42 PM »
venture forged with have you at 52mm truck height. cast plates are 53.5mm
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2018 on: October 14, 2021, 03:44:04 PM »
venture forged with have you at 52mm truck height. cast plates are 53.5mm
ah ok, that’s even better. I prefer that mid truck hight, feels snappier. I could swear I’ve seen somewhere that venture hi’s are 55mm, but I must be trippin’… just went to skatedeluxe and they confirm what you said.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #2019 on: October 14, 2021, 06:16:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Only someone who is not AWAKE would say such an ignorant statement. Ventures turn plenty, just like any truck dial them in with differnent bushings if you don't vibe with the stocks. Top washer removal or flat is mandatory no matter what truck. That's the first step to success. Then after waxing the cups you're pretty much fully woke.

are you being ironic or sincere?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2020 on: October 14, 2021, 06:33:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

are you being ironic or sincere?

The replacement of the top washer with a flat one is as sincere a comment as you can make regarding Ventures.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2021 on: October 14, 2021, 07:05:34 PM »

Feeling a bit mind fucked right now - always assumed that the V-Lights & V-Hollow came in 5.2 Lo, but according to this chart only the Titanium comes in 5.2 Lo. I know Lo cuts off at 5.2, but I'm pretty sure 5.2 Lo V-Hollow was a thing, Ben Degros even did a video on it.

Someone clear this up for me please and can we list down the heights too?

Pulled these off Tactics
Venture Lo w/ Cast Baseplate - 48.3mm
Venture Hi w/ Cast Baseplate - 53.5mm

Venture Hi w/ Forged Baseplate - 52mm
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #2022 on: October 14, 2021, 07:33:16 PM »

Feeling a bit mind fucked right now - always assumed that the V-Lights & V-Hollow came in 5.2 Lo, but according to this chart only the Titanium comes in 5.2 Lo. I know Lo cuts off at 5.2, but I'm pretty sure 5.2 Lo V-Hollow was a thing, Ben Degros even did a video on it.

Pulled these off Tactics

they were very real, here's an out of stock parade page with pix - https://www.paradeworld.com/products/venture-52-low-v-hollow-all-polished-trucks-pair-3-1649355653190/

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #2023 on: October 14, 2021, 09:50:19 PM »

Pulled these off Tactics

5.2 lo V-Lights are in the latest drop. They're just not in the "polished" category as they have a blue baseplate. I have them, they're rad.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2024 on: October 14, 2021, 09:56:45 PM »

They look like they will be more of a special edition, rather than a standard line, moving forward.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2025 on: October 14, 2021, 10:17:33 PM »
Thanks y'all, hadn't had my morning coffee and I was freaking out, thought my Awaken life had been a lie.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

MxsDx

• Rep: 90
« Reply #2026 on: October 15, 2021, 10:56:15 AM »

SoCal has titaniums ya’ll
[/quote]

I was pleased to see the titaniums sold out on So Cal Skateshop.  Saved me from a pricey impulse buy.  I am currently skating a 5.6 hollow hangar on cast plates.  They are great. I don't need the temptation.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #2027 on: October 15, 2021, 06:10:25 PM »
I swear we're gonna wake up one day and like thunder it'll be....they're all high...but some may be lower than others.....it's actually always been this way....

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2028 on: October 15, 2021, 08:07:19 PM »
5.6 Titaniums felt great in my first session with them. They have clear bushings that are pretty sick too

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2029 on: October 16, 2021, 07:45:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just eyeballing my trucks gives me joy. It's like looking at a mag or whatever. Get lost in the details are time passes slower.
[close]
I do the same thing. I like looking at my setup and observing all the details. The grooves of my trucks. The scrapes on my deck. It's an obsession but I love it lol.
[close]

it's sorta like a therapy..same feeling when setting up a christmas complete or gripping a new board.
[close]
I dread looking at a Christmas complete. Everything still looking way too new and untouched, just knowing that I still have to break in the new trucks/bushings and the struggles that are gonna come with it..... it’s enough to get me in a brief panic if I sit and think about it for too long hah. I can definitely agree with the gripping a new board thing tho or just sitting and staring at a nice beat up pair of trucks on your setup; it’s such a joyful feeling.
[close]
Yes I agree. Christmas complete is anxiety. Broken in setup is therapy. My wife thinks I'm weird and obsessed lol. I am and I'm proud of it.
[close]
Brand new everything except some old ass trucks is my happy place.

Yes. I love it
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2030 on: October 16, 2021, 07:53:19 AM »
I swear we're gonna wake up one day and like thunder it'll be....they're all high...but some may be lower than others.....it's actually always been this way....

Awaken to Venture, that's how we roll
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Fhk

« Reply #2031 on: October 21, 2021, 12:00:01 PM »
Does anyone know if streetcorner era lo hangers will work with today's baseplate's?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2032 on: October 21, 2021, 12:19:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Awaken to Venture, that's how we roll
53.5 cast and 52mm forged seems too damn believeable. anyone with calipers is free to prove me wrong though
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

user18081971

« Reply #2033 on: October 21, 2021, 02:23:36 PM »
Does anyone know if streetcorner era lo hangers will work with today's baseplate's?

I’ll check when I get home in a few hours.

Fhk

« Reply #2034 on: October 21, 2021, 03:46:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks a ton my man. My goal is to put those hangers on the baseplates of a 5.2hi (if that matters)

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #2035 on: October 21, 2021, 04:08:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Thanks a ton my man. My goal is to put those hangers on the baseplates of a 5.2hi (if that matters)
I've tried it and it was fine.

user18081971

« Reply #2036 on: October 21, 2021, 04:42:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
I can attest to this. Kingpin length is exactly the same as my dlx ventures.

Fhk

« Reply #2037 on: October 21, 2021, 04:45:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
I can attest to this. Kingpin length is exactly the same as my dlx ventures.
Ok thanks guys!

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #2038 on: October 23, 2021, 08:35:51 AM »

I was pleased to see the titaniums sold out on So Cal Skateshop.  Saved me from a pricey impulse buy.  I am currently skating a 5.6 hollow hangar on cast plates.  They are great. I don't need the temptation.

how is this set up? looking to lighten the pop feel without changing the cast height.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #2039 on: October 23, 2021, 09:39:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

how is this set up? looking to lighten the pop feel without changing the cast height.
I’m running the the TI hangar on cast and I think it works great. Lighter but you keep the wheelbase and height of the cast plates