Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 349364 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2940 on: May 12, 2022, 08:41:23 AM »
Expand Quote
6.1 standard +3.125
6.1 forged +3.25

easily my favorite truck, definitely recommend trying a set
have a hollow pair on 14" wb and the pop is perfection
[close]

Are you sure about these wb measurements? Different geometry on the 6.1 than all the others?
yes
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2941 on: May 12, 2022, 08:58:55 AM »
I always wondered why Venture is a distant 3rd or 4th in terms of popularity.

Thunder has the most colorways and the biggest team. Independent has the most name recognition. So Ventures lose out in the beginner segment.

Technically they can be hard to pair a deck with them, and they don't turn (versus Ace or Indy).

Always puzzled me why Venture is far less popular of the big 3 brands.

Thank our lucky stars venture isn’t the Krux of DLX……it’s clearly the stepchild….used to be street corner? And when that peace’d they kept it on. 

Venture…if you know….you know…..

The one thing I’ll admit though is the current truck is way different than what people think ie. 90’s….

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2942 on: May 12, 2022, 09:10:50 AM »
Always puzzled me why Venture is far less popular of the big 3 brands.

Same, I always chalked it up to the legacy vibe that they 'don't turn' which we know not to be true (they just don't turn like other trucks). That seems to have stuck over the years. With Street corner they were never considered a 'big' brand (again marketing) even though they always has a sick team.

But now it's mostly mindshare and marketing.

Built to grind / Ride the Best...
Know Control
Loose Trucks Save Lives / 'Pilots' /Now it's our Turn

Awake /THE ONLY TRUCKS THAT MATTER

One of the 4 doesn't 'improve' skating for the general masses or let them know what they're getting.

It wasn't until that Worrest vid that things started popping off. Signing PRod way back did nothing? I still feel riding their current wave and increasing their market. DLX could do some better marketing tho...it's all Thunder all the Time is seems.

I want to like them.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 300
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #2943 on: May 12, 2022, 09:23:59 AM »
Just tried the new bushings. They basically turn the Venture into a carvier one. It’s awesome.
i think i'm gonna pull the trigger and try them out soon. currently running 90a supercush with flat washer which works great.
are you running them with stock washers?
my "curb" board has thunders and every time i step on it, turning feels so liberating lmao

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2944 on: May 12, 2022, 10:19:47 AM »
There was a period where they were a main brand, then a lull in the mid 00's till Bobby. They had a few big riders, but their last Street Corner runs had QC issues and they lagged behind making modern sizes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2945 on: May 12, 2022, 10:48:14 AM »
I still think of Prod as a big venture guy. 

Indy is Indy, but if Thunder didn’t have DLX pushing them as their no. 1 truck brand….no one would give a shit….

I’m not mad Venture isn’t revered as much as I think it should, or has the market share Thunder has….I’ve even gotten over them making hi’s as their regular truck….

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2946 on: May 12, 2022, 10:58:22 AM »
Not to sound like a snob, but you have to know what you're getting into with Ventures, they aren't an ATV truck like Indy or Thunder which I think hurts their appeal with general skaters. Not as light as Thunder and don't turn (as well) like Indys, if I had newbies asking me to recommend them a truck Venture would not be on that list. I assumed they would have more pull with the ledge technicians since their team is stacked with some of the most tech guys around.

Come on Venture, give us the Lo on the 5.8 - 6.1 already!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2947 on: May 12, 2022, 11:12:31 AM »

Indy is Indy, but if Thunder didn’t have DLX pushing them as their no. 1 truck brand….no one would give a shit….

I’m not mad Venture isn’t revered as much as I think it should, or has the market share Thunder has….I’ve even gotten over them making hi’s as their regular truck….

Ughhhh I dunno man but I see Thunder outnumber Indy and Venture combined amongst kids that don't care one bit about DLX.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2948 on: May 12, 2022, 12:07:58 PM »
I’m gonna guess which ever shop they go to give a shit about DLX……

Ventures are lighter than Indy’s, don’t wheelbite like Thunders, are more stable than any so why not with a beginner?  I think the hi’s would work fine in a ton of situations…..

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #2949 on: May 12, 2022, 12:15:54 PM »
Not to sound like a snob, but you have to know what you're getting into with Ventures, they aren't an ATV truck like Indy or Thunder which I think hurts their appeal with general skaters. Not as light as Thunder and don't turn (as well) like Indys, if I had newbies asking me to recommend them a truck Venture would not be on that list. I assumed they would have more pull with the ledge technicians since their team is stacked with some of the most tech guys around.

Come on Venture, give us the Lo on the 5.8 - 6.1 already!

For a beginner, ventures would be my first choice. More stable, cheaper, cooler…

I know this somewhat conflicts with what I just wrote above, but Indy’s, for me, are still somewhat of a baseline. Not my favorite, but are the most versatile. Once someone has been skating for awhile, unless they have a specific reason to not like indy, that would be my recommendation.

I currently skate thunders. Pretty stoked on em tbh.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #2950 on: May 12, 2022, 12:23:47 PM »
Also beginners usually right tight trucks and aren't going to be carving or turning beyond what any decent truck on the market can deliver

Been skating ventures for almost 3 years now, and while they're far from perfect, I don't see any reason why someone couldn't skate anything and everything with it

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #2951 on: May 12, 2022, 12:51:25 PM »
I thought Ventures were the beginner truck of choice…
Every kid I’ve seen learning to skate usually has Venture.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2952 on: May 12, 2022, 01:08:53 PM »
I think it depends on where you grow up and what's around. When I was a kid our local shops consisted of a Zumiez, a ski/snowboard shop that had some skate stuff, and then a shop 30min away that didn't sell Indy. So, you basically got Venture or Thunders and Ventures were most common on pre-assembled completes.

I've said it before but trucks are a zero sum game at best. They all have their finer and weaker points. Slap acts like pros can ride whatever just cuz they're that good, but I think part of it is they don't care and don't have a choice so unless shit is unrideable they microadjust and move on with life. I doubt that many dudes are worried about WB pairings especially since lots of dudes that have joined Venture recently seem to ride the same setups otherwise.

disappointed

• Rep: 100
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2953 on: May 12, 2022, 01:39:56 PM »

The kids want the trucks their favourite pros skate, so it’s hardly surprising that Thunder is so popular; Tyshawn, Ishod, Suciu, Shane, Nyjah, Foy, Puig, Dashawn, Alexis, Elissa, Samara, Dylan etc. I was a Thunder guy because of MJ, Gino, SJ, Wray, Dill, Huf etc. I don’t think it’s all just because DLX is pushing them as there number one. That said...does anyone on Real or AntiHero skate venture? (I’m blanking of the top of my head).

Anywho, I’m not here to derail this, as I’ve got right back into Venture in the past few years, and they really are different than the 90s Ventures for sure. I was on hi’s then went to lo’s, and they’re just so fun to skate due to all their quirks which make them unique. I even bought the Touzery and Crocket just cos of the colorway. I’’m awake 8)

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #2954 on: May 12, 2022, 03:58:48 PM »
The new green bushings made them too loose for me. I tightened them to about 3 almost 4 threads showing on the kingpin. The short height still allows them to turn really well even cranked down. Before I’d carve and sometimes have to lift my truck and turn into to the right direction. With these I can get that tilt that gets lost with Venture usually.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #2955 on: May 12, 2022, 04:07:05 PM »
Maybe the green bushings could let you chop down the kingpin so you get even more clearance, and still have a turny truck (by venture standards)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2956 on: May 12, 2022, 06:03:18 PM »
I think it depends on where you grow up and what's around. When I was a kid our local shops consisted of a Zumiez, a ski/snowboard shop that had some skate stuff, and then a shop 30min away that didn't sell Indy. So, you basically got Venture or Thunders and Ventures were most common on pre-assembled completes.

I've said it before but trucks are a zero sum game at best. They all have their finer and weaker points. Slap acts like pros can ride whatever just cuz they're that good, but I think part of it is they don't care and don't have a choice so unless shit is unrideable they microadjust and move on with life. I doubt that many dudes are worried about WB pairings especially since lots of dudes that have joined Venture recently seem to ride the same setups otherwise.

I thought Mike Anderson was on boards with a 14.38 wb on Indy, but his special new shape now has 14.25 wb to accommodate the truck change.  Someone questioned him about it on instagram or something I recall, which I found really interesting.

There was someone else too who changed their board shape and had wb a touch shorter when they went to Venture trucks too, but I can't recall who right now.

It is an interesting one, on some boards I have set up and tried, or that others have tried at the indoor park, which is pretty much where I mess with product and make all kinds of weird and wonderful combinations, some of which work well and others that just don't with certain combinations.

The other thing to note is some people are a lot more open to some brands and others don't even want to try something if it has X brand on it, when they ride Y or Z brand.  Funny really.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2957 on: May 12, 2022, 06:13:03 PM »

That said...does anyone on Real or AntiHero skate venture? (I’m blanking of the top of my head).

Interesting but no I don't think so.  Is it something like this:

Real have a spread of Thunder and Indy.
AH have  Thunder, Indy and Ace.
Krooked have Thunder, Indy, Ace and Venture.

The new green bushings made them too loose for me. I tightened them to about 3 almost 4 threads showing on the kingpin. The short height still allows them to turn really well even cranked down. Before I’d carve and sometimes have to lift my truck and turn into to the right direction. With these I can get that tilt that gets lost with Venture usually.

Maybe the green bushings could let you chop down the kingpin so you get even more clearance, and still have a turny truck (by venture standards)

That is instantly what I thought, but I am used to recycling a lot of well used hangers, and use cut down or low top bushings on most of those trucks.

Even if the kingpin is naturally shorter from a lot of skateboarding, lower top bushings help with keeping the truck still functional without the kingpin nut coming off or catching.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2958 on: May 12, 2022, 08:49:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I thought Mike Anderson was on boards with a 14.38 wb on Indy, but his special new shape now has 14.25 wb to accommodate the truck change.  Someone questioned him about it on instagram or something I recall, which I found really interesting.

There was someone else too who changed their board shape and had wb a touch shorter when they went to Venture trucks too, but I can't recall who right now.

It is an interesting one, on some boards I have set up and tried, or that others have tried at the indoor park, which is pretty much where I mess with product and make all kinds of weird and wonderful combinations, some of which work well and others that just don't with certain combinations.

The other thing to note is some people are a lot more open to some brands and others don't even want to try something if it has X brand on it, when they ride Y or Z brand.  Funny really.

As far back as I can remember his shape has always been 14.25. I'm sure Bobby's twin tail hasn't changed either.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2959 on: May 12, 2022, 09:29:06 PM »

As far back as I can remember his shape has always been 14.25. I'm sure Bobby's twin tail hasn't changed either.

You are right and I was tripping, cause when I went looking I couldn't find anything, eg from Mike Anderson's Instagram, he is on Venture from early 2020 but his shape was the 8.38 x 32 with 14.25 in the Krooked 2019 catalogs.  That set of catalogs was pretty cool to see too, but that is just me.

https://krookedskateboarding.com/spring-2019/

https://krookedskateboarding.com/summer-2019/

https://krookedskateboarding.com/fall-2019/

Knee Pain

• Rep: 42
« Reply #2960 on: May 13, 2022, 02:02:04 PM »
I thought Ventures were the beginner truck of choice…
Every kid I’ve seen learning to skate usually has Venture.

In my experience from a UK perspective, Venture were always a beginner truck as they were cheaper than any other truck (pre DLX)

Can't see myself ever skating another truck, Ventures with supercush 90a and a flat washer is more than enough turn for me with the added stability when setting up for tricks.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2961 on: May 14, 2022, 09:58:44 AM »
This ad was probably why I put ventures on my first set-up.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 300
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #2962 on: May 14, 2022, 10:08:38 AM »

fire

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2963 on: May 14, 2022, 11:53:24 AM »

Thank you for this

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2964 on: May 16, 2022, 11:55:40 AM »
I like the older ventures at least as much as the current. Also, I like ventures.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #2965 on: May 16, 2022, 12:01:16 PM »
Anyone know if the older ventures with the gold hardware are the same quality as the newer ventures we have now?

i'm faiiiiirly sure that pic you posted specifically is a dlx venture, so yeah it'd be the same as current

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #2966 on: May 16, 2022, 05:40:08 PM »
Has anyone done 6.1s on an 8.25? Sounds ridiculous but I don’t want to buy new trucks but I want to size down. I’ve done 159 on 8.38 before and it was fine but this might be pushing it.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #2967 on: May 16, 2022, 05:59:14 PM »
Has anyone done 6.1s on an 8.25? Sounds ridiculous but I don’t want to buy new trucks but I want to size down. I’ve done 159 on 8.38 before and it was fine but this might be pushing it.

i have 5.6s on an 8.25 and 6.1s would definitely enter into hot rod territory. with the right wheels it might not bother you but ehhhh

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #2968 on: May 16, 2022, 06:36:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i have 5.6s on an 8.25 and 6.1s would definitely enter into hot rod territory. with the right wheels it might not bother you but ehhhh

I mean, I probably wouldn't go higher than 5.8s on a 8.25 personally, but I've seen Ace classics 55s on a 8.5 and it looked really fun, so it would be a similar kind of hot rod.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2969 on: May 16, 2022, 07:46:18 PM »

I rode indy 159s on an 8.25 (chico chocolate deck, so this was awhile back, shit maybe 7ish years ago), anyfuckinways, I liked it. Had some great flatground sessions on it. I think I stopped because I was self conscious of how it looked.
If I was giving advice to someone, I’d say +/- .25” deck to axle ratio.
You already have the trucks, try it, and if it doesn’t work, THEN you get a smaller size. Or not. Do whatever is fun.
I’ve heard of people that skate vert doing this type of setup.
I was skating an 8.6” deck, with ace classic 55s (9” axle) and 56 conical fulls. Mid session I moved the inner washer to the outside of the wheel, bringing the wheels in, narrower. I was amazed at how different the wheelbite marks were, the new ones being down and in, significantly so, which to me indicated that the wheels being set narrower, were able to turn more, before wheelbite. Blah di blah blah
For some reason I’m remembering some comment you made that transition was maybe your preferred terrain (I could be way the fuck off here), but if so, I’d be interested to hear how the setup worked out for you. I’ve felt that the significantly wider trucks than deck thing worked best for ledges/manuals/and wasn’t much a hinderance for most flip tricks, but not for carving and shit like that. Hewitt rides 159s on 8.38 and he is the shit so…what do I know.