Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 349594 times)

texasplant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2970 on: May 16, 2022, 08:10:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Has anyone done 6.1s on an 8.25? Sounds ridiculous but I don’t want to buy new trucks but I want to size down. I’ve done 159 on 8.38 before and it was fine but this might be pushing it.
[close]

I rode indy 159s on an 8.25 (chico chocolate deck, so this was awhile back, shit maybe 7ish years ago), anyfuckinways, I liked it. Had some great flatground sessions on it. I think I stopped because I was self conscious of how it looked.
If I was giving advice to someone, I’d say +/- .25” deck to axle ratio.
You already have the trucks, try it, and if it doesn’t work, THEN you get a smaller size. Or not. Do whatever is fun.
I’ve heard of people that skate vert doing this type of setup.
I was skating an 8.6” deck, with ace classic 55s (9” axle) and 56 conical fulls. Mid session I moved the inner washer to the outside of the wheel, bringing the wheels in, narrower. I was amazed at how different the wheelbite marks were, the new ones being down and in, significantly so, which to me indicated that the wheels being set narrower, were able to turn more, before wheelbite. Blah di blah blah
For some reason I’m remembering some comment you made that transition was maybe your preferred terrain (I could be way the fuck off here), but if so, I’d be interested to hear how the setup worked out for you. I’ve felt that the significantly wider trucks than deck thing worked best for ledges/manuals/and wasn’t much a hinderance for most flip tricks, but not for carving and shit like that. Hewitt rides 159s on 8.38 and he is the shit so…what do I know.

Yep transition is definitely what I skate most. Though I’m trying to be more well rounded as I’ve lost most of my pop haha. I’ve never put any kind of time into skating ledges and I want to try something new. I’m used to wider trucks but wants to size down the board, which is why I asked. I only ever do kickflips if I’m flipping but setups don’t really affect that for me. Figured I’d ask before wasting my time setting something up I’d hate, but I guess if it’s sucks it’ll do in the timebeing until I get some 5.8s.

I guess my concern was the turn, because I’ll have way less leverage and ventures aren’t known to turn the best of the brands. Love how they feel though.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #2971 on: May 16, 2022, 08:17:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone done 6.1s on an 8.25? Sounds ridiculous but I don’t want to buy new trucks but I want to size down. I’ve done 159 on 8.38 before and it was fine but this might be pushing it.
[close]

i have 5.6s on an 8.25 and 6.1s would definitely enter into hot rod territory. with the right wheels it might not bother you but ehhhh
[close]

I mean, I probably wouldn't go higher than 5.8s on a 8.25 personally, but I've seen Ace classics 55s on a 8.5 and it looked really fun, so it would be a similar kind of hot rod.

I’m running 9” 55 classics on an 8.5 with NFG 60mm V and no inside washers. I have 6.1s and can see them working similarly on an 8.25 although I’d probably want to leave a washer on the inside and maybe go for a skinnier wheel. You can see where the front wheels contact the board if you zoom in. I’m still tweaking the wells.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #2972 on: May 16, 2022, 08:36:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I rode indy 159s on an 8.25 (chico chocolate deck, so this was awhile back, shit maybe 7ish years ago), anyfuckinways, I liked it. Had some great flatground sessions on it. I think I stopped because I was self conscious of how it looked.
If I was giving advice to someone, I’d say +/- .25” deck to axle ratio.
You already have the trucks, try it, and if it doesn’t work, THEN you get a smaller size. Or not. Do whatever is fun.
I’ve heard of people that skate vert doing this type of setup.
I was skating an 8.6” deck, with ace classic 55s (9” axle) and 56 conical fulls. Mid session I moved the inner washer to the outside of the wheel, bringing the wheels in, narrower. I was amazed at how different the wheelbite marks were, the new ones being down and in, significantly so, which to me indicated that the wheels being set narrower, were able to turn more, before wheelbite. Blah di blah blah
For some reason I’m remembering some comment you made that transition was maybe your preferred terrain (I could be way the fuck off here), but if so, I’d be interested to hear how the setup worked out for you. I’ve felt that the significantly wider trucks than deck thing worked best for ledges/manuals/and wasn’t much a hinderance for most flip tricks, but not for carving and shit like that. Hewitt rides 159s on 8.38 and he is the shit so…what do I know.
[close]

Yep transition is definitely what I skate most. Though I’m trying to be more well rounded as I’ve lost most of my pop haha. I’ve never put any kind of time into skating ledges and I want to try something new. I’m used to wider trucks but wants to size down the board, which is why I asked. I only ever do kickflips if I’m flipping but setups don’t really affect that for me. Figured I’d ask before wasting my time setting something up I’d hate, but I guess if it’s sucks it’ll do in the timebeing until I get some 5.8s.

I guess my concern was the turn, because I’ll have way less leverage and ventures aren’t known to turn the best of the brands. Love how they feel though.

Wider trucks can help me get a better pop, I think because of the added stability.

And to ol nick: I also like the 55 classics on an 8.5. Works way better than I would have thought. Hi o o ur setup looks nice

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2973 on: May 16, 2022, 08:42:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone know if the older ventures with the gold hardware are the same quality as the newer ventures we have now?
[close]

i'm faiiiiirly sure that pic you posted specifically is a dlx venture, so yeah it'd be the same as current

The set I got a while back which was barely used / second hand from someone still had what looked like the DLX sticker under the truck and it had all the gold nuts and washers, with the red V on the hanger.

I would be going with yes on that one, as they still skate the same and no issues there.

Guessing they started leaving off the gold bits and having everything just normal silver for at least a couple of years, going back over DLX catalogs.

Still one set with all gold trimmings from the 2020 spring catalog.

https://venturetrucks.net/spring-2020/

Edit:  I wanted to go looking further and turned up DLX took on Venture around 2011, so they have been doing them for a long time now.  There were still some of the gold extras on various trucks back through the older catalogs from 2015 to 2020 but there are not too many of those catalogs available beyond that, from what I could see.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 09:09:36 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #2974 on: May 16, 2022, 09:58:32 PM »
Honestly I enjoy just skating fast and doing the basics. The added stability sounds nice. I’m gonna go for it and grab the smaller board and let you guys know how I like it.

I only own Conical wheels but I might look into some Classics if I end up enjoying it but don’t like the hot rod.

Fooj

• Rep: 180
« Reply #2975 on: May 17, 2022, 07:02:30 AM »
This could probably go in the Questions that dont deserve their own thread section, but has anyone ever gotten 1 black and 1 silver kingpin on the same set of trucks? I just noticed it on my 5.6 Cast.  Doesnt really matter, but it made me pause for a sec

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #2976 on: May 17, 2022, 07:38:09 AM »
This could probably go in the Questions that dont deserve their own thread section, but has anyone ever gotten 1 black and 1 silver kingpin on the same set of trucks? I just noticed it on my 5.6 Cast.  Doesnt really matter, but it made me pause for a sec

i'd chalk it up to supply chain issues & how you'll never truly get a 'set'. but i'm curious, does it have little dots instead of the size listed on the underside of the hanger?

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #2977 on: May 17, 2022, 07:41:26 AM »
They had supply issues and switched to a different kingpin.  It is slightly smaller also so it pressed into the baseplate a bit further than the other....

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
« Reply #2978 on: May 17, 2022, 01:29:51 PM »
They had supply issues and switched to a different kingpin.  It is slightly smaller also so it pressed into the baseplate a bit further than the other....

I wonder.. could this also explain my issue with the 5.6 v-lights I bought early 2021.
One truck gets freaking tight asf, the other one is fairly loose. On both the nuts are flush with the kingpin.
I can tighten the looser one pretty easy. For the other one, flush is max tightness and it's very hard to get the nut that far. It's like my bushings are hard as rocks but when I swap them from one truck to another, the problem stays the same.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2979 on: May 18, 2022, 07:25:21 AM »
package from nfg came in today
immediately wanted to see the low bushing/low kp nut combo

nfg low bushings 95a
flat top washer
acer lo pro kingpin nut (flush)

definitely not for my main setup, saving it for something fun
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2980 on: May 18, 2022, 07:49:19 AM »
Swapped from cast to forged plates on my 5.6 TI to mellow out a Blind deck that was feeling too steep. Couldn't tell if my pivot cups weren't sitting right but my trucks felt more rattle-y, even with the hardware firmly tightened. Recently changed out the pivot cups so I doubt it was them.

Lower baseplate causing more feedback off the wheels maybe?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #2981 on: May 18, 2022, 07:59:51 AM »
Swapped from cast to forged plates on my 5.6 TI to mellow out a Blind deck that was feeling too steep. Couldn't tell if my pivot cups weren't sitting right but my trucks felt more rattle-y, even with the hardware firmly tightened. Recently changed out the pivot cups so I doubt it was them.

This is the feeling, and why I don’t prefer forged plates

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2982 on: May 18, 2022, 09:48:43 AM »
Forged plates feel harder. Nothing is worse than forged plates with a hollow axle. Just sounds off.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2983 on: May 18, 2022, 09:55:45 AM »
Forged plates feel harder. Nothing is worse than forged plates with a hollow axle. Just sounds off.

I'm on TI, so solid axles.

I'll keep the cast baseplates in my bag till the next session in case I want to swap out.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2984 on: May 18, 2022, 10:31:40 AM »

I agree. My Shoes and Gear Special hybrid feels a little wiggly. Had me checking to see if my nuts was loose.

I believe that the forged plates are slightly different than the cast.

My cast plates with hollow hanger are no problem the opposite is hella wiggly. I enjoy it tho. I oval all my trucks because I dig the loose nut feeling
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2985 on: May 18, 2022, 11:41:51 AM »
I like how my V-hollows feel. I dig the dry sound of forged plates, they are harder so it kinda makes the deck sound snappier for longer…

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2986 on: May 18, 2022, 12:40:09 PM »
package from nfg came in today
immediately wanted to see the low bushing/low kp nut combo

nfg low bushings 95a
flat top washer
acer lo pro kingpin nut (flush)

definitely not for my main setup, saving it for something fun

Looks sick, I used to skate indys like that and did probably my best skating. Maybe its time to go back to that level of looseness only on ventures this time.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2987 on: May 18, 2022, 02:27:10 PM »
Just curious has anyone on Slap tried Ventures and didn't prefer them and went back to another brand?

jsettle

• Rep: 134
« Reply #2988 on: May 18, 2022, 03:46:02 PM »
Just curious has anyone on Slap tried Ventures and didn't prefer them and went back to another brand?

I actually just did this...i skated indy for 20 years or so and wanted to switch to venture...they didnt turn enough for me even after bushings broke in so tried tweaking them a few different ways with different bushings, flat top washer and all that and realized i was trying to force myself onto venture and they just dont work for my skating so bought some new indys to switch back.

IpathCats

« Reply #2989 on: May 19, 2022, 05:56:06 AM »

Yes, I have. Biggest complaints were the grind and turn, just didnt suit me. Went back to indy's for a few months and tried lurpivs, then went back to indys. Most recently I got a set of thunders. I feel like they split the indy/venture difference quite well, and I'm enjoying my time on them. Dont wanna jinx myself, but i think i found my comfort zone on these thunder team hollows.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #2990 on: May 19, 2022, 06:00:26 AM »
https://imgur.com/y8JNRXx

For those that say Venture bushings suck. These are half a year old but I’m also 135 pounds in weight. But so is Frank Gerwer, if you skate a ton it can be hard to keep weight.

https://imgur.com/XoNi19L

don't get me wrong here as im also a venture enjoyer and will sing their praises but trying to correlate your weight/experience with them is purely anecdotal as i'm the same weight as you and blew out stock venture bushings.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #2991 on: May 19, 2022, 06:54:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, I have. Biggest complaints were the grind and turn, just didnt suit me. Went back to indy's for a few months and tried lurpivs, then went back to indys. Most recently I got a set of thunders. I feel like they split the indy/venture difference quite well, and I'm enjoying my time on them. Dont wanna jinx myself, but i think i found my comfort zone on these thunder team hollows.

Same here. The turn didn't really bother me (set them up with flat washers), but the grind really did. Went back to Indy after a little over a month on Ventures. Nowadays I mostly go back and forth between Indy and Thunder, and I love both equally but for different reasons.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #2992 on: May 20, 2022, 06:46:59 AM »
The grind is prolly my biggest disappointment, but I don’t really realize it while I’m skating them.  The turn I actually don’t mind. 

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2993 on: May 20, 2022, 07:15:07 AM »
So is part of the appeal for Slap that you can ride them all jiggly and your board can look "cool", but in reality the trucks aren't that loose? Kinda like fake jugs?

IpathCats

« Reply #2994 on: May 20, 2022, 07:32:17 AM »
So is part of the appeal for Slap that you can ride them all jiggly and your board can look "cool", but in reality the trucks aren't that loose? Kinda like fake jugs?

was also thinking this.

"look how loose my trucks are guys, yea, i just like them like that"

*guy on aces with three threads showing proceeds to carve in a tighter circle*

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #2995 on: May 20, 2022, 07:42:45 AM »
The grind is prolly my biggest disappointment, but I don’t really realize it while I’m skating them.  The turn I actually don’t mind.

i used to skate ace classics (which supposedly grind great because of the "softer" metal) before i got ventures and on ventures i could grind some ledges that didn't really grind on aces
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
« Reply #2996 on: May 20, 2022, 07:45:06 AM »
Just put the new "loose trucks kit"with the shorter top bushing in my 5.6 v-lights.
Damn, I have to screw down the nut till there are almost  2 threads showing to stop them from wiggling arround...
Gonna put an extra flat washer on top to protect my kingpin threads.
With other words, you get what you pay for.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

IpathCats

« Reply #2997 on: May 20, 2022, 07:46:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i used to skate ace classics (which supposedly grind great because of the "softer" metal) before i got ventures and on ventures i could grind some ledges that didn't really grind on aces

people say they enjoy that soft ace classic grind feel, i think its just slower overall, the added grip may give you more control, but its def slower. Since ventures are harder, i feel like the beginning of the grind is the determining factor, youre either gonna stick right away and not grind at all, or grind just fine. Ace and indy you can usually force a little grind no matter what.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2998 on: May 20, 2022, 12:03:36 PM »
@LebowskisRug @IpathCats yall gotta be trolling or just dumb
loose trucks are about turning quickly, not the turning radius...
theres no "fake loose" with that little resistance on the bushings
just say you ride tight and dont like/skate ventures.
its completely fine, nobody is forcing or paying you to ride em

ace and indy will always have the tighter turning radius
nobody in their right mind buys ventures for a tight turning radius
making a big deal about loose trucks is an ace and indy thing
pointing it out as "cool" will always be lame no matter the truck
its just supposed to be fun. makes sense that you dont get it
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

IpathCats

« Reply #2999 on: May 20, 2022, 12:23:59 PM »
@LebowskisRug @IpathCats yall gotta be trolling or just dumb
loose trucks are about turning quickly, not the turning radius...
theres no "fake loose" with that little resistance on the bushings
just say you ride tight and dont like/skate ventures.
its completely fine, nobody is forcing or paying you to ride em

ace and indy will always have the tighter turning radius
nobody in their right mind buys ventures for a tight turning radius
making a big deal about loose trucks is an ace and indy thing
pointing it out as "cool" will always be lame no matter the truck
its just supposed to be fun. makes sense that you dont get it

do you really not see the trend of people having way too loose trucks? stop taking things so personally please.