Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 353472 times)

Filip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #3270 on: September 14, 2022, 01:19:48 AM »
Guys, I have a question about Ventures. Right now, Im skating Thunders 151, and they are done. When I say done, I mean down to the axle, bent, just overal not really enjoyable anymore. I have Ventures 6.1 on my cruiser setup. I really want to put them on my regular board, but I never tried them with regular wheels.

My setup:
8,5 deck, usually 32 long, just basic wheelbase, I think 14,25-14,5?
Thunders 151, with risers (just small ones, force of a habit, I guess, never skated without them)
52 wheels

I skate semi loose trucks, maybe in the middle (Nut is flush with kingpin, regular Thunder bushings)

My question is:

Will I hate the Ventures? Do they make the board feel super different from Thunders?
I really want to skate them, but if Im gonna break them in just to hate the experience, Id rather just buy Thunders again..

Thanks in advance guys.

Sondor

• Rep: 60
« Reply #3271 on: September 14, 2022, 01:54:22 AM »
Guys, I have a question about Ventures. Right now, Im skating Thunders 151, and they are done. When I say done, I mean down to the axle, bent, just overal not really enjoyable anymore. I have Ventures 6.1 on my cruiser setup. I really want to put them on my regular board, but I never tried them with regular wheels.

My setup:
Thunders 151, with risers (just small ones, force of a habit, I guess, never skated without them)
52 wheels

I skate semi loose trucks, maybe in the middle (Nut is flush with kingpin, regular Thunder bushings)

My question is:

Will I hate the Ventures? Do they make the board feel super different from Thunders?
I really want to skate them, but if Im gonna break them in just to hate the experience, Id rather just buy Thunders again..

Thanks in advance guys.

Funny; in the previous post I just do the opposite (changing from venture 6.1 to thunder 151)
I only had one session and the things I noticed that the thunders are much more responsive and surfy
also the ventures have so much better kp clearance, even when they are grinded down to the axle
even tho, thunders really feel like easier to do tricks with

Boog

• Rep: 194
« Reply #3272 on: September 14, 2022, 03:51:38 AM »

My setup:
52 wheels

My question is:

Thanks in advance guys.
You won't have any problem adjusting to venture. They are basically a more stable thunder. You'll like them.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #3273 on: September 14, 2022, 04:45:02 AM »
Expand Quote

My setup:
52 wheels

My question is:

Thanks in advance guys.
[close]

Funny; in the previous post I just do the opposite (changing from venture 6.1 to thunder 151)
I only had one session and the things I noticed that the thunders are much more responsive and surfy
also the ventures have so much better kp clearance, even when they are grinded down to the axle
even tho, thunders really feel like easier to do tricks with

On my first pair of Thunders and currently thinking about retiring them already cause the KP-clearance is a freaking joke. I love the pop, but before tinkering even more with the Thunders than I already do, I'm thinking of switching back to Ventures and just carry a piece of wax in my pocket to keep them hangers waxed and grinding.
Anyone have a suggestion on which Ventures feel closest in pop to Thunder Team 147s?
Adjusting the deck/truck-combo regarding WB of course, currently on a Ishod TT 8.3.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 04:53:40 AM by l1ll1ll1 »

Filip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3274 on: September 14, 2022, 06:50:44 AM »
Expand Quote

My setup:
52 wheels

My question is:

Thanks in advance guys.
[close]
You won't have any problem adjusting to venture. They are basically a more stable thunder. You'll like them.

Thanks man, I try it tommorow. I was a little worried about the wheelbase and height, because Ive been a Thunder person my whole skate life (19 years bassicaly), but I guess I just try it tommorow and see whats up.

Boog

• Rep: 194
« Reply #3275 on: September 14, 2022, 07:07:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My setup:
52 wheels

My question is:

Thanks in advance guys.
[close]
[close]

Thanks man, I try it tommorow. I was a little worried about the wheelbase and height, because Ive been a Thunder person my whole skate life (19 years bassicaly), but I guess I just try it tommorow and see whats up.
For sure man. If anything you can just ride those until you get a new pair. I think you will get used to them pretty quick tho.

bryan

• Rep: 26
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3276 on: September 14, 2022, 07:32:06 AM »
On my first pair of Thunders and currently thinking about retiring them already cause the KP-clearance is a freaking joke. I love the pop, but before tinkering even more with the Thunders than I already do, I'm thinking of switching back to Ventures and just carry a piece of wax in my pocket to keep them hangers waxed and grinding.
Anyone have a suggestion on which Ventures feel closest in pop to Thunder Team 147s?
Adjusting the deck/truck-combo regarding WB of course, currently on a Ishod TT 8.3.

Thunder 147 are the lower thunders ~50mm tall but are in between venture hi/lo in height (53.5/48mm). But venture lo kp clearance is probably worse than thunder 147, so I'd say go with Venture hi with the forged baseplate (vlight/vhollow) which lowers the truck by 1mm. If the height/extra effort to pop is too much, downsize your wheels 1-2mm.. or just get used to it.

If you decide to switch, the ventures will be different (worse?)  turning but better kp clearance, stability, and wheelbite.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3277 on: September 14, 2022, 09:02:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My setup:
52 wheels

My question is:

Thanks in advance guys.
[close]
[close]

You're in the church of Venture - the only truck that matters.

But I personally avoid 14.38 decks with Ventures, even at 32.25 and cast baseplates. They just feel too sluggish on the pop.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #3278 on: September 14, 2022, 12:23:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thunder 147 are the lower thunders ~50mm tall but are in between venture hi/lo in height (53.5/48mm). But venture lo kp clearance is probably worse than thunder 147, so I'd say go with Venture hi with the forged baseplate (vlight/vhollow) which lowers the truck by 1mm. If the height/extra effort to pop is too much, downsize your wheels 1-2mm.. or just get used to it.

If you decide to switch, the ventures will be different (worse?)  turning but better kp clearance, stability, and wheelbite.

Thanks for the answer!
Already had Venture 5.6 hollows for a while and really liked them and to me the new loose kit seems to solve most problems I had with them – apart from the grind. Just had this itch about Thunders that I wanted to try them and the pop is amazing.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3279 on: September 15, 2022, 11:38:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My setup:
52 wheels

My question is:

Thanks in advance guys.
[close]
[close]

[close]

You're in the church of Venture - the only truck that matters.

But I personally avoid 14.38 decks with Ventures, even at 32.25 and cast baseplates. They just feel too sluggish on the pop.

Ok guys, just a quick update. I skated the 6.1 for the first time today. As mentioned, they have been on my cruiser for some time, so bushings are broken in nicely, and I have to say, the turn in combination with my normal wheels is fantastic, I absolutely love how they work.

Few problems

Bunch of ghost pop for the first half of the session, since they are higher than Thunders, but I adjusted and its fine now.

Baseplates are so much longer and sticking out oposed to Thunders. I was super used to doing nose and tailslides with wheels touching the ledge, its not happening now (at least untill I get some grooves in those shits).

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3280 on: September 15, 2022, 12:33:39 PM »

My setup:
52 wheels

My question is:

Thanks in advance guys.

I'm skating Thunders right now and skated someone's board the other day (same deck shape as mine) that was on 5.6's with stock bushings and tightness. Holy shit, I really, really disliked it. Heavy ass pop is good for big height but I didn't like any flip tricks on it. Turning was worse than I remembered. Just killed my interest.

They're stable, I guess, but if you're used to Thunders I dunno why you'd want them personally. Maybe the baseplate slide? They will grind more harsh, pop more heavy and the top bushings blow out a lot. However, since they push the wheels out you can ride a shorter WB, you can always put a flat top on to open up the turn, and you can just go faster for certain grinds. There isn't a perfect truck it's just what shortcomings you wanna accept.

I did really like them with a flat top on a 14.25 specifically BBS generic shape and some Quasi.

overwaxed

• Rep: 88
« Reply #3281 on: September 16, 2022, 09:52:34 AM »
The loose trucks conversion bushings were comically loose for me (I’m 6’1”, 175#’s) - but I’m liking the green/yellow combo aesthetically at least so we’ll see how this combo skates! These are pretty new 6.1’s btw

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #3282 on: September 16, 2022, 10:08:44 AM »
how are doh dohs in ventures

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3283 on: September 16, 2022, 10:20:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Skating a 8.25 alien board now and don’t know yet how I like it. High hollow ventures.

Kick are long on that deck. Had a hockey before and will skate GX 8.125 next. That one has short tail.

What do you prefer ? Long or short tail?

I skated 8“ decks , 8.125 , 818 and 8.25 over the last year and still don’t know what I prefer.
Same for tail length.

I skated fuller shapes over the last two decks, now when I look at and 8“ anti hero or Powell for example it looks so weird to me. So pointy and flat.
I probably stick to fuller shapes and switch around with tail lengths and width’s.
I really think I can skate anything after little time of getting used to it.
[close]
I prefer a little bit of a longer tail with my ventures. It makes it to where I don't have to put my foot so far back on the tail when setting up for kf and ollie tricks. Also a longer tail also helps with tail slides.

This. Longer tail, standard/long nose, short WB. Girl / Primitive / April work great.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3284 on: September 16, 2022, 11:31:09 AM »

My setup:
52 wheels

My question is:

Thanks in advance guys.

I'm not going to front. The change was difficult.

Like a week of cruising I couldn't go back.

I personally feel a sense of pride riding them. Gives me something to talk about. Feels even better when I get someone to make the switch.

I be pushing AWAKE like my name is Steve frickin Flaco Pro Fleastyler.

I might cop some side trucks soon tho.

If that 8.75 mag lite that kid Beav on the YouTube is riding when they drop.

Fucking venture needs a mag again. That would be game over for all other brands I believe.

We talking mass exodus. Now is definitely the time to take out Indy while they bringing back things people don't actually want.

I mean I want a stage 4 but I definitely believe they are not negotiating the market correctly at all.

Deluxe is #1 and we all know it. NHS is digging up old bones to try and milk this nostalgia 80s/90s shit. That's their thing. They the opposite of Powell.

Only Nazis romanticize "the golden age" also every kook in my home town is rocking Santa Cruz Dot shirts. The grey dot on black t. I think it has to do with the TV or something. Like the same person all had Metallica tshirts the weekend before.

You don't see that with frickin Venture. That shit still belongs to us. At least until frickin the colab with Carlisle group through supreme or whatever.

Help the war $ystem drop some bombs on some poor family in Yemen for the Royal frickin family.

I feel like gatekeeping trucks. No ventures for Supreme people. Go play with Chinese Nazi NHS trucks kook.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #3285 on: September 16, 2022, 01:11:33 PM »
saw a dude at work today wearing a santa cruz dot shirt and a maga hat

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3286 on: September 16, 2022, 05:10:43 PM »
Definitely copping these

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3287 on: September 16, 2022, 05:13:46 PM »

Fucking venture needs a mag again. That would be game over for all other brands I believe.

Yeah a new Venture magnesium truck would be pretty great, I don’t think there’s another truck company out there that manufactures them right now other than Tensor

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3288 on: September 16, 2022, 05:29:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah a new Venture magnesium truck would be pretty great, I don’t think there’s another truck company out there that manufactures them right now other than Tensor

I'd ride a thunder mag.
(A)pl(E)

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #3289 on: September 16, 2022, 08:44:14 PM »

Haven’t tried doh dohs in ventures. Can’t get supercush in my area so I chucked some Indy blue aftermarkets in my 6.1s. Works really well for me, amazing what a new set of bushings does for your pop. Turns good also, perhaps a bit stiff compared to the absolutely shredded stock bushings but the rebound is very nice and responsive.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
« Reply #3290 on: September 16, 2022, 11:17:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'd ride a thunder mag.

I’d ride a Venture that grinded like a Thunder…..

GT

• Rep: -15
« Reply #3291 on: September 16, 2022, 11:32:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'd ride a thunder mag.
[close]

I can't remember if venture actually released to the market a mag truck?  Weren't they prototype?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3292 on: September 17, 2022, 06:31:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haven’t tried doh dohs in ventures. Can’t get supercush in my area so I chucked some Indy blue aftermarkets in my 6.1s. Works really well for me, amazing what a new set of bushings does for your pop. Turns good also, perhaps a bit stiff compared to the absolutely shredded stock bushings but the rebound is very nice and responsive.

I can also say the aftermarket Indy bushings work well in any truck I have tried them in.

Re Doh Doh bushings, I feel like I have had some "not so good" experiences with them, but in thinking back, they skated fine for me, it was other people who tried them and thought they were rubbish, which is how I ended up with half a dozen almost brand new sets of various options, mainly in the harder duro range, but I don't crank them down and let them do what they are supposed to do, which is allow a truck to turn.

Maybe more than anything a lot of bushings work better NOT being tightened down too hard, or at least worn in gently for the first few sessions, so YES they do work fine in Venture trucks.

@sacking rails

How do you like your trucks in terms of how much they turn, or how much give they have?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #3293 on: September 17, 2022, 09:39:16 AM »
medium loose i dont skate bushings over 90a

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3294 on: September 17, 2022, 01:48:55 PM »
Asking for a buddy that doesn't want to make an account to do so: are any of the Venture stock purple bushings somehow harder than 90A? He's had his 5.6 for like 3 weeks and loosened a turn past stock and the turn is really stiff. It's been a while since I had my own Ventures but I never remember them being this tight. He's skated them a few times a week for a few hours now and doesn't wanna have to change all the stock shit.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #3295 on: September 17, 2022, 02:27:43 PM »
Asking for a buddy that doesn't want to make an account to do so: are any of the Venture stock purple bushings somehow harder than 90A? He's had his 5.6 for like 3 weeks and loosened a turn past stock and the turn is really stiff. It's been a while since I had my own Ventures but I never remember them being this tight. He's skated them a few times a week for a few hours now and doesn't wanna have to change all the stock shit.

i have recent-ish purple and red and they are the same feel as older ones, i wouldn't say they are harder than 90a. maybe top washer binding? also maybe pull the hangers off to check the pivot cup and get a general reset out of it? he might have done that already though

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3296 on: September 17, 2022, 03:03:10 PM »
medium loose i dont skate bushings over 90a

Yeah you should not have any problems with them.

I had another look at all these Doh Doh bushings and I remember him having issues with the bottom popping out over the washer, so I trimmed up the edges a bit, which made them sit nicely inside the washers.

Just normal scissors on the bottom sharp edge of the bushings to take a little off was all that was needed.

The older bushings used to be way harder, but anything put out within the last few years at least is the same 90 duro hardness.  Bushings left sitting for a while can feel a lot stiffer too, so even just standing on the board leaning left to right and back again for a bit could loosen things up a touch.

I had been experimenting with using wax on the pivot nubs and on the bushing faces and that made the whole setup feel a whole lot looser with the kingpin nuts in the same position.

Just a couple of things without having to buy or change out anything.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #3297 on: September 17, 2022, 03:59:48 PM »
Latest Thrasher mag (#508), page 222. Venture X DC incoming

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #3298 on: September 17, 2022, 06:18:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'd ride a thunder mag.
[close]

[close]

I can't remember if venture actually released to the market a mag truck?  Weren't they prototype?

They did in the early 90s

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3299 on: September 17, 2022, 06:36:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'd ride a thunder mag.
[close]

[close]

Idk. I was riding steel g&s Indy or gullwing at the time
(A)pl(E)