Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 349584 times)

iangreen66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #3540 on: November 23, 2022, 06:06:28 AM »
But.. I was thinking, does taking hollows really change the way you skate ? Is it somehow .. easier because lighter ?

I've always skated the high standard ventures, I wonder if it's worth paying more..
If it means anything to you, I recently went from Indy 159's to the Kader 5.8's and I feel like I have been skating my best that I've ever skated. I feel more confident somehow on the Ventures.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #3541 on: November 23, 2022, 07:19:47 AM »
But.. I was thinking, does taking hollows really change the way you skate ? Is it somehow .. easier because lighter ?

I've always skated the high standard ventures, I wonder if it's worth paying more..

pay up and find out

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3542 on: November 23, 2022, 07:22:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is there really a difference between low and high ventures ?

I was skating lows for a long time ago, in my early years of skating, and switched to high, not really noticing the difference at the time.

But now I skate a lot of flatground, almost only that, and I've been skating high for 10 years (15 years of skateboarding),

Would lows for the flat really change anything ?  ;D
[close]

On paper yes:
From the horse's mouth:
Venture heights

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82mm
[close]
can we get this pinned

Fuck it, I'll make it my sig
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #3543 on: November 23, 2022, 07:35:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is there really a difference between low and high ventures ?

I was skating lows for a long time ago, in my early years of skating, and switched to high, not really noticing the difference at the time.

But now I skate a lot of flatground, almost only that, and I've been skating high for 10 years (15 years of skateboarding),

Would lows for the flat really change anything ?  ;D
[close]

On paper yes:
From the horse's mouth:
Venture heights

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82mm
[close]
can we get this pinned
[close]

Fuck it, I'll make it my sig

Venture for life

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #3544 on: November 23, 2022, 07:36:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

pay up and find out

Great answer.
Too much thinking/thread making, not enough action.

Thebird

• Rep: 152
« Reply #3545 on: November 23, 2022, 07:52:18 AM »
Anyone able to find the Kaders in 5.8 yet?

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #3546 on: November 23, 2022, 07:53:36 AM »
seem them in one shop here in the uk.

wanting 90bucks for them tho  :-\

thats indy ti prices.
"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #3547 on: November 23, 2022, 08:52:39 AM »
I skated v-lites and didn’t notice the difference between them and hollows.  Weight just comes down to if you have a shitty day and you feel your board is heavy….you’ll be pissed….I think everyone had a tolerance and it’s all different.  A thunder hollow versus Indy raw….big difference…venture is pretty in the middle so either way you’re good. 

One thing is I don’t mind cast plates even though I know it’s wrong….

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3548 on: November 23, 2022, 09:09:41 AM »

Thebird

« Reply #3549 on: November 23, 2022, 09:45:04 AM »
Thank you!

Lepanto

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3550 on: November 23, 2022, 09:52:37 AM »
I skate only thunders and hace zero complains but id like to try venture for my 8,25 set up so i got in mind a set of hollows 5,6 or maybe a kaders but not sure that texture if i wont end getting tired

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #3551 on: November 23, 2022, 10:05:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
If it means anything to you, I recently went from Indy 159's to the Kader 5.8's and I feel like I have been skating my best that I've ever skated. I feel more confident somehow on the Ventures.

Same, I tried everything, independent, great comfort but very heavy and high, thunder, very responsive, perfect for flats, but sometimes too light and uncontrollable (I hurt myself  my ankle with this .. a 360 flip which has turned too much)

The indy hollows disappointed me, a minimal weight reduction for the price, and almost the same weight as the standard ventures.

I find that only on Ventures I feel really good and skate the best, maybe because I started with this, and I skated them for a very long time before trying other brands !

Very curious about Venture hollows ..

MxsDx

• Rep: 90
« Reply #3552 on: November 23, 2022, 10:05:43 AM »

One thing is I don’t mind cast plates even though I know it’s wrong….

Interesting, if anything it seems people often dislike forged plates and prefer cast.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3553 on: November 23, 2022, 11:00:37 AM »
I too fell in the same category…..i found what I often do is take my irrational thoughts or emotions and grab any piece of information or subjectivity to justify them….

They definitely look better…..I came from Team Thunders where I still stand by is the best thunder….when I got on ventures I accepted forged as you couldn’t get the Kaders and I liked the lower height.  Surprise!  Made no difference, they are great trucks…

MxsDx

• Rep: 90
« Reply #3554 on: November 23, 2022, 01:59:28 PM »
I too fell in the same category…..i found what I often do is take my irrational thoughts or emotions and grab any piece of information or subjectivity to justify them….

They definitely look better…..I came from Team Thunders where I still stand by is the best thunder….when I got on ventures I accepted forged as you couldn’t get the Kaders and I liked the lower height.  Surprise!  Made no difference, they are great trucks…

Thanks for the response.  Your explanation of "taking irrational thoughts or emotions and grabbing any piece of information or subjectivity to justify them" perfectly describes my own gear madness.  I agree with you that Team Thunders are the best Thunder.  I have found hollow and forged variations of Thunder to be too light and/or low.  I have also skated Venture forged and they are quite good. However, thanks to the wheelbase thread I can't help but think the slightly reduced wheelbase of Venture cast are preferable - perhaps another example of propping up a sliver of information to justify my gear selection.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3555 on: November 23, 2022, 04:22:28 PM »
I originally wanted the cast baseplate to put in an IKP but never got around to it.  I ended up dropping a mm in wheelsize too.  The wheelbase is a good point, same deal though is it’s something that just annoys me.  I look at my board and wonder if i need knee pads to skate it.   I don’t necessarily see it as madness, it’s just your aiming to set up a board based on your vision.  Nothing wrong with it.  I think it’s just a bummer if the set up is rather affecting your skating or even worse….you think it’s affecting your skating. 

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3556 on: November 23, 2022, 08:50:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks for the response.  Your explanation of "taking irrational thoughts or emotions and grabbing any piece of information or subjectivity to justify them" perfectly describes my own gear madness.  I agree with you that Team Thunders are the best Thunder.  I have found hollow and forged variations of Thunder to be too light and/or low.  I have also skated Venture forged and they are quite good. However, thanks to the wheelbase thread I can't help but think the slightly reduced wheelbase of Venture cast are preferable - perhaps another example of propping up a sliver of information to justify my gear selection.

My rule of thumb
WB less than 14.25 - Forged baseplates
WB more than 14.25 - Cast baseplates

Helps make Venture more all-rounder rather.

LO with forged baseplates have given me the best pinch on grinds, I've not had other sub-50mm trucks give that same pinch.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Thebird

« Reply #3557 on: November 24, 2022, 08:18:53 PM »
Anybody here been able to try the Kaders yet, or do we only have Ben's opinion to go by so far?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3558 on: November 25, 2022, 01:13:22 AM »
Anybody here been able to try the Kaders yet, or do we only have Ben's opinion to go by so far?

Height - see my sig
Weight - should be the weight of a v-hollow, around the same as a Thunder Light
Wheelbase - +3.25", since cast baseplate

If anyone is looking to try the 5.6 V-Hollow Valsurf has them at $36.00 a pair ($48 before the 25% discount). 6.1 Standard at $27 a pair ($36 before the 25%).

https://valsurf.com/search.php?search_query=venture%205.6&section=product
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #3559 on: November 25, 2022, 01:31:41 AM »
So as an indy guy who skates big wheels and is curious to try Ventures, forged Hi's with 1/8 inch risers would get me 99.9% of the way there to a 55 mm height truck?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #3560 on: November 25, 2022, 01:36:00 AM »
So as an indy guy who skates big wheels and is curious to try Ventures, forged Hi's with 1/8 inch risers would get me 99.9% of the way there to a 55 mm height truck?

Did you just ask slap if 52+3=55?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3561 on: November 25, 2022, 01:54:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well, I'm not goodatmeth or math but I'm just thinking out loud. I had to turn on sigs to even see someone's personal measurements, which are hard to find otherwise so just trying to confirm. Please don't annihilate my butthole as I've had some issues with trucks and sizing lately :( I thought I was riding 149s but they're actually 159's, and I thought my pair of 139's were matching but I have a 139 and 149...

Late edit but god damn, old skaters are some of the most ornery fucks in the universe. I'm just looking for some confirmation from someone who maybe has real-life experience going from one to the other. Maybe there was some nerd wheelbase variation from one to the other baseplate? I don't fucking know. That's why I'm asking.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 02:46:39 AM by Steely Daniel »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #3562 on: November 25, 2022, 03:32:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Well, I'm not goodatmeth or math but I'm just thinking out loud. I had to turn on sigs to even see someone's personal measurements, which are hard to find otherwise so just trying to confirm. Please don't annihilate my butthole as I've had some issues with trucks and sizing lately :( I thought I was riding 149s but they're actually 159's, and I thought my pair of 139's were matching but I have a 139 and 149...

Late edit but god damn, old skaters are some of the most ornery fucks in the universe. I'm just looking for some confirmation from someone who maybe has real-life experience going from one to the other. Maybe there was some nerd wheelbase variation from one to the other baseplate? I don't fucking know. That's why I'm asking.

Sorry, so yeah forged venture high + 1/8 riser will be very close to if not exactly 55mm high.
But it wont feel similar to an indy because of that. My anti madness advice is stick to your indys and don't fuck up your muscle memory.
Indy wheelbase is short, forged venture wheelbase is the longest you can get from all of the trucks on the market.
What makes you want to switch?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3563 on: November 25, 2022, 04:21:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sorry, so yeah forged venture high + 1/8 riser will be very close to if not exactly 55mm high.
But it wont feel similar to an indy because of that. My anti madness advice is stick to your indys and don't fuck up your muscle memory.
Indy wheelbase is short, forged venture wheelbase is the longest you can get from all of the trucks on the market.
What makes you want to switch?

I've never really tried anything else honestly and since I'm such a noseslide guy I figured Thunders might not be for me. Being a moderately tight truck guy, I also figured Ace is out of the question. Growing up I skated trash like Orions, Destructos, Furys etc. but once I got my first pair of Indys I stubbornly stuck with them forever, even having lived through the stage 9 debacle badly bending axles on at least a couple of pairs in my prime years. I also enjoy bombing hills and have heard Ventures are oddly good for that since they don't really turn that well and lessen the chance of vicious speed wobbles. Basically, I was always conflicted between being a tranny or ledge guy who is pretty bad at flip tricks and can't skate switch or nollie. Now that I'm a grown man that petty identity shit means nothing and I just want to know what will work best for me.

I'm kind of curious what Jeff Carlyle's setup is and if he really rides 58 or 60mm wheels like his pro model. I ride 56 mm but I wouldn't mind trying those 58mm 97a spitfires.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3564 on: November 25, 2022, 04:58:09 AM »
I do a shitload of noseslides on Thunder and have no issues. Sometimes with front tails I do but I've never been as good at those as back tails.

Venture forged plus a riser would suck IMO. You're pushing the wheelbase way out compared to an Indy AND it's the same height so your pop angle would be steep as fuck. Just get cast Ventures if you wanna try Ventures and don't try to micromanage the dimensions.

Unless you are bombing hills and need wheels to last why ride such a big clunky wheel? Just cuz he does it for that reason doesn't mean there is any sorta advantage for you.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #3565 on: November 25, 2022, 06:08:25 AM »
As it happens I've been riding 5.8 Hollows with 1/8 risers for the past 4 weeks or so, so I can provide some first-hand experience.

First of all, it goes without saying that the trucks alone don't make or break your setup. Ventures paired with a short-wheelbase deck will work differently than on a long-wheelbase deck, etc. I'm trying to only make general statements to keep things as simple as possible, though.

Ventures are definitely the most non-responsive trucks out of the main brands. What I mean by that is that it it takes more weight shifting to initiate a turn. If that's a positive or a negative comes down solely to personal preference. I love them for bombing hills because for me, the risk of wiping out is reduced significantly. I'm on the larger side and don't have perfect balance at all times, so I'm prone to unintentionally shifting my weight. Ventures have more leeway before they actually turn. At high speeds, that's a lifesaver for me. For other people, it might be the opposite because they rely on the ability to turn very quickly.

Concerning the pop angle, that also comes down to what you like. I love high trucks and risers because I like working a little harder for my pop and therefore prefer a steeper angle. I can ollie higher that way and get more consistent flicks. On the other hand, a more shallow angle makes your tail hit the ground faster, so you don't need to kick down as hard to pop. Many people prefer that because it can feel more responsive and requires less force.

Bigger wheels go well with this setup because they provide even more stability and a smoother ride. That may be negligible for people who don't skate crust often, but for me it's vital.

All in all, I can definitely recommend forged Ventures with risers and big wheels if you wanna go fast and have great stability on less-than-perfect ground. It's definitely not a good combination for tech wizardry though.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #3566 on: November 25, 2022, 08:42:47 AM »
As it happens I've been riding 5.8 Hollows with 1/8 risers for the past 4 weeks or so, so I can provide some first-hand experience.

First of all, it goes without saying that the trucks alone don't make or break your setup. Ventures paired with a short-wheelbase deck will work differently than on a long-wheelbase deck, etc. I'm trying to only make general statements to keep things as simple as possible, though.

Ventures are definitely the most non-responsive trucks out of the main brands. What I mean by that is that it it takes more weight shifting to initiate a turn. If that's a positive or a negative comes down solely to personal preference. I love them for bombing hills because for me, the risk of wiping out is reduced significantly. I'm on the larger side and don't have perfect balance at all times, so I'm prone to unintentionally shifting my weight. Ventures have more leeway before they actually turn. At high speeds, that's a lifesaver for me. For other people, it might be the opposite because they rely on the ability to turn very quickly.

Concerning the pop angle, that also comes down to what you like. I love high trucks and risers because I like working a little harder for my pop and therefore prefer a steeper angle. I can ollie higher that way and get more consistent flicks. On the other hand, a more shallow angle makes your tail hit the ground faster, so you don't need to kick down as hard to pop. Many people prefer that because it can feel more responsive and requires less force.

Bigger wheels go well with this setup because they provide even more stability and a smoother ride. That may be negligible for people who don't skate crust often, but for me it's vital.

All in all, I can definitely recommend forged Ventures with risers and big wheels if you wanna go fast and have great stability on less-than-perfect ground. It's definitely not a good combination for tech wizardry though.

this is a pretty hilarious statement when Ventures are pretty much known for being tech wizard trucks...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #3567 on: November 25, 2022, 09:47:59 AM »
I know, the irony wasn't lost on me. That's why I specifically talked about forged Venture highs with risers and big wheels. The wizardry trucks are the 5.0/5.2 lows.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3568 on: November 25, 2022, 01:11:50 PM »
That’s the interesting thing about venture is there is an application on both sides ie. hill bombing or nollie crooks….

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3569 on: November 25, 2022, 04:29:55 PM »
Those are his friend's boards dude.