Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 354017 times)

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #3570 on: November 26, 2022, 07:09:40 AM »
If someone can spot some v hollows on sale.  The Val surf sale as only for a day it seems.

I’ve always skated venture and have contemplated trying some thunders.  Can someone quickly surmise their experience with making this move. 

Rational.  Thunders are light and I heard they grind good.

I recently switch back to 8.18 from 8.25.  54mm wheels. Ledge / mannies / flat bars / flips tricks etc. no stairs for this fella
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3571 on: November 26, 2022, 07:17:13 AM »
Thunders arguably turn a bit better but the wheelbite is a bit much for me.  I also grinded through them pretty fast.  I’d consider trying thunder again but I’d have a set of risers standing by.  You’re right about the other observations though, they grind way better and are lighter. 

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1927
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3572 on: November 26, 2022, 08:07:57 AM »
If someone can spot some v hollows on sale.  The Val surf sale as only for a day it seems.

I’ve always skated venture and have contemplated trying some thunders.  Can someone quickly surmise their experience with making this move. 

Rational.  Thunders are light and I heard they grind good.

I recently switch back to 8.18 from 8.25.  54mm wheels. Ledge / mannies / flat bars / flips tricks etc. no stairs for this fella

Grind - Thunders grind faster and smoother, Venture grinds harder and kinda bites back at the ledge, you really feel the grind like you're working against the surface rather than just gliding across, I prefer the harder grind it just feels better

Turn - Thunder is more responsive but I get a lot of wheelbite, Ventures turn slower (more lean before the turn) but I don't get as bad wheelbite

Pop feel - Thunders pop light, Ventures pop heavy, so if you stomp down hard on your trick you're going to feel less feedback on Thunders and it will wimpy by comparison

Slide - Thunder baseplate does not protrude as much as Venture, you're going to catch more wheel on the slide but not a deal breaking amount, wax a little more and you're set

Personal opinion - Ace and Venture are the polar opposites in trucks, with Thunder and Indy somewhere in the middle. The ride feel of Venture (and Ace) is unique and you'll only appreciate or hate it if you bite the bullet and ride them.

https://orchardshop.com/collections/cyber-sale-trucks/venture

Some choices for the 5.6 if you don't mind some colored baseplates.

If you're sticking to an 8" truck then go with the 5.2 Low. Yeah you're going to wheelbite a lot more, but the pinch of grinds is otherworldly.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Lessfillingtastegreat

« Reply #3573 on: November 26, 2022, 08:15:46 AM »
First. Thanks for the detail.   I’ve been riding ventures pretty much my whole life.  Lately the 5.6.  On a 8.18 board. 

When I was younger I rode the lows on a .8.0 board.

The 5.2 on a 8.18 wit flush or do you get the hoverboard vibe?

Lastly with the 54mm with the 5.2 in the Low be significant more prone to wheel bite?

8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3574 on: November 26, 2022, 08:32:46 AM »
First. Thanks for the detail.   I’ve been riding ventures pretty much my whole life.  Lately the 5.6.  On a 8.18 board. 

When I was younger I rode the lows on a .8.0 board.

The 5.2 on a 8.18 wit flush or do you get the hoverboard vibe?

Lastly with the 54mm with the 5.2 in the Low be significant more prone to wheel bite?

5.2 with 8.18 will have minimal hoverboarding, just get a couple more washers on the inside of you're axle and you're good.

Biggest I would do with 5.2 L is 52mm.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #3575 on: November 26, 2022, 08:55:52 AM »
as someone who spent a good amount of time on the 54mm wheels/Lo Venture combo, stick to the above advice with 52mm. you could go 53 or 54 if you skate tight

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #3576 on: November 26, 2022, 09:33:42 AM »
I’ve never skated the lo’s but at that point, I’d just skate thunders….

There are some people in this thread though that might have some input on them..

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #3577 on: November 26, 2022, 09:53:28 AM »
5.2 lo’s up to 8.18, I don’t personally prefer them on 8.25, but that’s just me. I definitely put extra washers on the inside of the wheel when I ride boards that are wider than the trucks.
Dill and Ave claimed 54s on lo’s, I think. Early 2000s. Got to skate em pretty tight. Imo with venture lo’s my max is 52, and that’s pushing it.

To the person wondering about thunders, I really like 147s, but they are fairly low themselves, and I don’t like mine with 54s. Thunder 148s and 54s go tho.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #3578 on: November 26, 2022, 12:18:40 PM »
8 inch trucks on the quasi 8.25 they use for the proto with the taper in the back fits nice. That shape seems to be able to accommodate 8-8.5 trucks.

Lessfillingtastegreat

« Reply #3579 on: November 26, 2022, 01:23:46 PM »
Gear Madness completely took over.

ordered Thunders Titaniums in 148 and some 54mm dragons.  I ride my ventures pretty loose.  Hope the combo works.

Worse case I'll have my current Venture 5.6 to revert back too.

I have some 52mm wheels I can switch too If I get too much wheel bite.   Really hoping this lightweight set up translates to a little more comfort.  Feet and lower back have been taking a beating as of late.

I'll be sure to circle back and give my takes.  Wife my hold on till the holiday tho. 

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #3580 on: November 26, 2022, 01:35:55 PM »
Gear Madness completely took over.

ordered Thunders Titaniums in 148 and some 54mm dragons.  I ride my ventures pretty loose.  Hope the combo works.

Worse case I'll have my current Venture 5.6 to revert back too.

I have some 52mm wheels I can switch too If I get too much wheel bite.   Really hoping this lightweight set up translates to a little more comfort.  Feet and lower back have been taking a beating as of late.

I'll be sure to circle back and give my takes.  Wife my hold on till the holiday tho.

I'm reassured, I'm not the only one with so much Madness haha ​​It's crazy to react like that when in our first years of skating we didn't think about that..

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #3581 on: November 26, 2022, 01:51:26 PM »

I have some 52mm wheels I can switch too If I get too much wheel bite.  Really hoping this lightweight set up translates to a little more comfort.  Feet and lower back have been taking a beating as of late.

Since the trucks are so low and you want comfort, have you considered super thin 1mm shock pads? It's noticeably smoother

Lessfillingtastegreat

« Reply #3582 on: November 26, 2022, 02:14:15 PM »
Isn’t there all kinds of limitations with risers And the ti trucks baseplates or something.   I’m not worried about taking on a pad for sure at right now I ride 5.6 hi ventures. 

Father Time is a MFer that’s for sure. 

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #3583 on: November 26, 2022, 03:13:52 PM »
Yeah riser/shockpads are usually longer than necessary for thunder baseplates. But it's just thin rubbery plastic so you can easily cut it to the right size with any scissor or knife.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #3584 on: November 27, 2022, 01:34:42 AM »
I do a shitload of noseslides on Thunder and have no issues. Sometimes with front tails I do but I've never been as good at those as back tails.

Venture forged plus a riser would suck IMO. You're pushing the wheelbase way out compared to an Indy AND it's the same height so your pop angle would be steep as fuck. Just get cast Ventures if you wanna try Ventures and don't try to micromanage the dimensions.

Unless you are bombing hills and need wheels to last why ride such a big clunky wheel? Just cuz he does it for that reason doesn't mean there is any sorta advantage for you.

Man, I was so drunk I forgot I made that post. "Why do you want to try ventures?"  Proceeds to post life story.

I like big wheels because I exclusively skate at a crusty skatepark that has ground like an east coast spot. Slight exaggeration maybe but there are big cracks and the concrete is so weathered it's hard to keep speed. Also, the roads here are trash too. I mostly just like to go fast and do basic tricks. Given up trying to really learn new tricks in my late 30s and would rather just get really good at the handful of tricks I can do. Oh god, I did it again.

Thanks for your input though. I think you're probably right.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #3585 on: November 27, 2022, 11:20:45 AM »
Might be just honeymoon phase but I think Ventures have actually cured my madness. Anyone else have this sensation?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3586 on: November 27, 2022, 11:29:23 AM »
Might be just honeymoon phase but I think Ventures have actually cured my madness. Anyone else have this sensation?

Yes

FrenchSkater

« Reply #3587 on: November 27, 2022, 02:12:04 PM »

Exactly the same for me.. I rode Venture for years (8 years), and I wanted to change because someone once told me "your board is heavy", and madness begin.. I tried Thunder, perfect for the flat but too light and too low, and I injured my ankle because of that (360 flip poorly controlled, which turned into 480 and my foot tensed on the nose while landing..), and the feeling on these trucks  .. I don't know, still very tight, rigid .. no soft damping.

I then tried Independent, perfect comfort, I appreciated the height, except that they were too heavy.. I then tried the indy hollows, very good but not solid and all my tricks did not go through..

I finally came back to Venture, almost 1 year ago, and it's perfect. I feel like I have my best skating with them.. but, is this surely normal because these are the first trucks I rode and for a long time out of habit ?

I think you shouldn't change once you've found your truck brand .. which creates madness ahah

Lessfillingtastegreat

« Reply #3588 on: November 27, 2022, 02:29:14 PM »
I’ve ridden ventures for 25+ years.  But recently got caught up in madness. Even came on here to get advice about narrower ventures. Instead ended up ordering titanium thunders.  Lol. 

Gear madness sucks.  I know there is no single change that is going to unlock tricks. But I will never know unless I mix it up a bit. 

What drove me to try Thunder was someone suggesting the grind easier / smoother.  As I age making anything g easier is a good thing.  Combined with the Significant weight savings.  Inc cycling / road bike I would get my bike as light as possible. To save a kind or two.  Feel like that strategy might payoff on my board. 

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #3589 on: November 27, 2022, 02:32:15 PM »
I rode Venture for about 10 years before switching briefly to ACE and then to Thunders because I sized down (been on my current set for 3 years) is it time to switch back to Venture?

FrenchSkater

« Reply #3590 on: November 27, 2022, 02:34:05 PM »
I’ve ridden ventures for 25+ years.  But recently got caught up in madness. Even came on here to get advice about narrower ventures. Instead ended up ordering titanium thunders.  Lol. 

Gear madness sucks.  I know there is no single change that is going to unlock tricks. But I will never know unless I mix it up a bit. 

What drove me to try Thunder was someone suggesting the grind easier / smoother.  As I age making anything g easier is a good thing.  Combined with the Significant weight savings.  Inc cycling / road bike I would get my bike as light as possible. To save a kind or two.  Feel like that strategy might payoff on my board.

As I mentioned, I find that trucks that are too light quickly become uncontrollable.. I still like having a certain weight, feeling my board, and I appreciate my slow turning tricks better! I don't think the weight helps for the tricks after all.. (Unless.. ?  ;D )

Boog

• Rep: 194
« Reply #3591 on: November 27, 2022, 02:34:49 PM »
Venture for life.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3592 on: November 27, 2022, 03:42:54 PM »
I rode Venture for about 10 years before switching briefly to ACE and then to Thunders because I sized down (been on my current set for 3 years) is it time to switch back to Venture?

You’ve been pretty dedicated to 147s, which are dope…you ride bigger wheels tho yeah? You could maybe get away with 5.2 HI’s and no risers. Turn is different for sure.
Most important thing for me with trucks is the pop. I like both thunder and venture.

Lessfillingtastegreat

« Reply #3593 on: November 27, 2022, 04:05:16 PM »
I tend to over pop tricks on flat. So it’s zaps energy and I think it’s leading to injury.  I would prefer to do them a bit lower and more efficient.  Think more Rick Howard goldfish and less Marcus McBride if that makes sense. Janowski , MJ others. ( just for reference ) - Chico is super efficient. 

My hope is to flick a bit quicker / lower.  Less energy more efficient.  I’m I bit tall so I think the pop is just part of the mechanics.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #3594 on: November 27, 2022, 04:05:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You’ve been pretty dedicated to 147s, which are dope…you ride bigger wheels tho yeah? You could maybe get away with 5.2 HI’s and no risers. Turn is different for sure.
Most important thing for me with trucks is the pop. I like both thunder and venture.
Yeah I ride 54mm with 1/8 rider’s because my trucks are pretty loose. I’ve noticed I’ve been wiffing a lot of my tricks lately which I mostly blame on the steeper kicks I’ve been trying. I don’t like flat boards so I’m thinking it might be time to sit a little lower.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3595 on: November 27, 2022, 04:49:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yeah I ride 54mm with 1/8 rider’s because my trucks are pretty loose. I’ve noticed I’ve been wiffing a lot of my tricks lately which I mostly blame on the steeper kicks I’ve been trying. I don’t like flat boards so I’m thinking it might be time to sit a little lower.

147s are hard to skate with 53s even.
I really don’t like risers.
I don’t skate that well with big wheels, and complain, bitterly, when I have big wheels because of the weight. Big baby.
I also don’t favor looser trucks (lose too much pop).
I like flat boards. A lot.
So take all of my shit with a huge grain of salt.
I ride my 5.2 HI’s with 53ish wheel, and recently switched to the forged plate and those work well.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3596 on: November 27, 2022, 06:10:14 PM »
Just noticed how active the Venture thread is compared to other truck threads:

Ace
Started 2010
6000 posts

Venture
Started 2020
3500 posts

Thunder
Started 2021
900 posts

Maybe the #1 rule of riding Venture is you don't stop posting about how much you love Venture.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3597 on: November 27, 2022, 06:12:55 PM »
I tend to over pop tricks on flat. So it’s zaps energy and I think it’s leading to injury.  I would prefer to do them a bit lower and more efficient.  Think more Rick Howard goldfish and less Marcus McBride if that makes sense. Janowski , MJ others. ( just for reference ) - Chico is super efficient. 

My hope is to flick a bit quicker / lower.  Less energy more efficient.  I’m I bit tall so I think the pop is just part of the mechanics.

I’ve always wanted big pop on my flip tricks, but some of my absolute favorite skaters tend to muffle their flip tricks a bit…basically spreading the feet further apart before popping helps increase my consistency, and decreases my pop.
I liked your skater examples

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3598 on: November 27, 2022, 06:13:48 PM »
Just noticed how active the Venture thread is compared to other truck threads:

Ace
Started 2010
6000 posts

Venture
Started 2020
3500 posts

Thunder
Started 2021
900 posts

Maybe the #1 rule of riding Venture is you don't stop posting about how much you love Venture.

64% of my posts are in this thread. Probably.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3599 on: November 28, 2022, 03:13:44 AM »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo