Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 353885 times)

kawo64 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4440 on: June 03, 2023, 05:29:52 PM »
Not sure if anyone was interested in my ovaled pivots, but I’m fairly confident that recently I was doing way too many slappy crooked grinds on a metal ledge, and it wasn’t a fault with the baseplate. To test my idea, I tossed these old forged independent trucks on my bloard and spent a couple sessions blasting them into the ledge. Sure enough, they started ovaling on my heel side, too. The indy’s are older, but they seemed to start ovaling out faster than the ventures (or maybe it just seemed that way because I was looking for it). As seen here:

So I don’t think it’s a reflection on venture, and I figure I should just be more gentle and ollie into grinds that pinch from now on, or just accept the consequences of slappy life and give up on trucks that don’t wobble.

I say fuck it. If it happens to all trucks are they actually broken?
Also smashing your trucks into things is way too fun to stop.

Id like to see if you can do it to all brands and how long it takes for each. That'd be kinda sick.

Maybe you should report your findings to the suits in China and try to get more products for further r and d.

Respect for the science on two trucks too. Shits a pretty sick result.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4441 on: June 03, 2023, 06:26:43 PM »
Crossposting from the questions that don’t deserve their own thread thread (probably made more sense here):

Anyone use any other brands of replacement pivot cups in Venture baseplates?  I’m trying to figure out what would fit properly. 

I have Riptides in there now which have completely blown apart in like a month of skating.  Not trying to go down that road again.  I wish I kept the original Venture pivot cups from this set but they seem to have disappeared… I was looking at options and it seems like Indy and Ace sell replacement pivot cups but not many other brands.  Thanks!

I usually stock up on the DLX pivot cups, which might be marketed as Thunder pivot cups, but they come loose in whatever quantity you want, so could be more a generic type but they seem to work in any trucks I have needed to put them in, mainly Indy, Thunder and Venture.

They are just plain black, fit snugly and seem to hold well for as long as is needed, so I would imagine it is down to certain shops as to what they get in and how they sell them.

Some of the other brands that have the blister pack or the hang sell card with stapled bag end up being more than twice the cost for the same number of pivot cups, so when I find them, I get a few at a time, here in AU.

Not sure if Indy still have boxes of 20 or so, but they used to be good as well and seem like they are almost the same product, maybe generic pivot cups they all get and then box them up or bag them as needed.

Edit:

As per the other thread, best answer:

Deluxe makes replacement pivot cups. I got a set that worked perfectly in my Thunders but can't speak how well they would fit in Ventures. Doesn't look like the big online stores carry it (SkateWarehouse, Tactics, etc) but my local has them: https://www.cowtownskateboards.com/skateboarding/parts/bushings/deluxe/super-cush-pivot-cup-pid-13607

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4442 on: June 03, 2023, 07:14:01 PM »
How many spacers do I need on the inside of the wheel on 5.6 to feel like a 5.8? I have 5.8 in my main but gonna set up a second skate shitty spots and rough ledges board but want it similar to my main
id just put as many on the inside as possible
someone posted how many mm a spacer is but i cant find it
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4443 on: June 03, 2023, 08:27:03 PM »
I’m guessing Ventures aren’t Ermico anymore. Bought a pair today and they were made in Mexico.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #4444 on: June 03, 2023, 09:05:25 PM »
Expand Quote
How many spacers do I need on the inside of the wheel on 5.6 to feel like a 5.8? I have 5.8 in my main but gonna set up a second skate shitty spots and rough ledges board but want it similar to my main
[close]

I put three washers together and it was about 0.125' on my tape measure

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4445 on: June 03, 2023, 10:23:55 PM »
I’ve used indy pivot cups in ventures and they fit reasonably well. They weren’t perfectly flush, but they worked.

Indy pivot cups or just buy a bag of 100 from AliExpress, been using the unbranded ones on a bunch of trucks and zero problems.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4446 on: June 03, 2023, 10:33:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have tried and even with five washers on the inside and nuts reversed / turned around on trucks that were 5.6 (144s), just to get a bit of nyloc to hold, it still doesn't quite add up to the extra width on 5.8 (149s) trucks.

It was interesting to see though and I could feel a little more difference, but I usually have three washers on the inside of everything anyway, that is three washers on the inside of each wheel, just the nut on the outside which sits fairly snugly on the end of the axle on any normal truck from Indy, Thunder or Venture.  Ace trucks can fit one or even two more on each as they have longer axles than normal, with the nut still fitting on as usual.

Edit:

Should have added:

In total it is about 5 mm, so 2.5 mm on each axle to make an 8.25" as wide as the 8.5" axle, so depending on the width of washers, about seven or eight to make the wheels even with my other 8.5" trucks, which then means the nut barely fits on, even when reversed, when I tried, just to see if it could be done.

Still easy enough to put a few extra on, then skate it and see how that feels, if it is at all different from where you had them before.

How many washers on the inside do you usually have?

« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 10:42:37 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4447 on: June 04, 2023, 05:09:57 AM »
@Mbrimson88  on my 5.8s I use for my main I just have one on each side of the wheel.

Also thank you and the other pals for helping me. Watching my son and it was easier to throw a Hail Mary pass to the pals than to mess with it with trial and error while watching him.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4448 on: June 04, 2023, 05:07:39 PM »
@Mbrimson88  on my 5.8s I use for my main I just have one on each side of the wheel.

Also thank you and the other pals for helping me. Watching my son and it was easier to throw a Hail Mary pass to the pals than to mess with it with trial and error while watching him.

Yeah for sure.

At least the 5.6 to 5.8 is the closest combination and maybe the least to feel a difference while still having roughly the same size board, etc.

Sure I know 5.2 to 5.6 could be the same, but I am more used to the 8.25 to 8.5 widths of everything now and a lot more people ride 5.6 on 8.3 to 8.5 boards, as well as my own setups with 5.8s as preference.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #4449 on: June 05, 2023, 05:39:37 AM »
This is dumb as shit but I just realized my Venture 5.8 “highs” are 53.5mm high … and my two “regular” Indy sets are 55mm. So I’ve been being weird about how I use my Ventures for uh, absolutely no reason.

IpathCats

« Reply #4450 on: June 05, 2023, 09:39:55 AM »
This is dumb as shit but I just realized my Venture 5.8 “highs” are 53.5mm high … and my two “regular” Indy sets are 55mm. So I’ve been being weird about how I use my Ventures for uh, absolutely no reason.

lol

gnar'd for your honesty

oak leaf

• Rep: 50
« Reply #4451 on: June 05, 2023, 09:42:48 AM »
ive been rocking 8.25-8.5 on 5.8 cast for a couple years now, but i find myself wanting more room for my feet. i watch my clips and the board looks tiny. sure its easier to flip an 8.25 but if my toes touch then whats the point…?

i am thinking about going up to 8.5-8.75 and getting some 6.1s.  The weight of my ACE 55 classics on my cruiser kinda bums me out, so im thinking hollows or something

lurking this thread it seems light 6.1s were around at some point. are they a regular offering?

anyone riding 6.1s and floating between 8.5-8.75?

i guess im asking because ive never had a problem finding boards/shapes i like in the 8.25-8.5 range, but looking around it seems like 8.75s jump to a 15 wb quickly.

thanks in advance for any help.

IpathCats

« Reply #4452 on: June 05, 2023, 09:59:36 AM »
ive been rocking 8.25-8.5 on 5.8 cast for a couple years now, but i find myself wanting more room for my feet. i watch my clips and the board looks tiny. sure its easier to flip an 8.25 but if my toes touch then whats the point…?

i am thinking about going up to 8.5-8.75 and getting some 6.1s.  The weight of my ACE 55 classics on my cruiser kinda bums me out, so im thinking hollows or something

lurking this thread it seems light 6.1s were around at some point. are they a regular offering?

i guess im asking because ive never had a problem finding boards/shapes i like in the 8.25-8.5 range, but looking around it seems like 8.75s jump to a 15 wb quickly.

DLX has an 8.62 with a 14.75 WB thats always in their lineup. i've always wanted to try it but the width scares me.

IDK how well the ventures will work on a WB that long though.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #4453 on: June 05, 2023, 10:09:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

lol

gnar'd for your honesty
I’m pretty book smart but I’m so goddamn dumb irl

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4454 on: June 05, 2023, 10:22:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

lol

gnar'd for your honesty
[close]

lol yeah cause its just high in comparison to it's "Low" counterpart. Its close the same height as the Forged Baseplate Indys.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #4455 on: June 05, 2023, 11:45:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

DLX has an 8.62 with a 14.75 WB thats always in their lineup. i've always wanted to try it but the width scares me.

IDK how well the ventures will work on a WB that long though.

You should try it. I think that board feels a lot more comfortable than the dims would indicate. Maybe it’s because of the length, makes it look slimmer?

To piggyback on this, I think the White Eagle shape (8.75/14.62) is also a good option for oak leaf up there. It’s basically a stubbier version of that Cream Eagle (the 8.62/14.75).

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4456 on: June 05, 2023, 01:27:09 PM »
I love having my ventures on a long wb now.

I'll just do more like straight flip tricks and live large off back 80s and non compliance.

Also the bowl will be kinder to you. I hate riding a 14" in bigger transmission. I frickin get the rear end breaking loose as I cut across the flat bottom going woah woah woah.

Triple wiggles. Not good. Guess my foot is to far over bolts....
(A)pl(E)

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #4457 on: June 05, 2023, 01:32:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

lol

gnar'd for your honesty
[close]
[close]

lol yeah cause its just high in comparison to it's "Low" counterpart. Its close the same height as the Forged Baseplate Indys.

Yup, I actually made a mistake earlier. I have a set of Hollows that sit at 55 and some hollow forged that are 54.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #4458 on: June 05, 2023, 04:10:33 PM »
I thought Venture Highs were 55?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4459 on: June 05, 2023, 06:24:49 PM »
I thought Venture Highs were 55?

Venture are a mid height truck at best, but the definition of high, low or mid is often lost between brands.

Indy standard are 55 mm in height.

Indy forged baseplates are the same as Venture cast at 53.5 mm in height, which you can also call Venture high.

Venture forged baseplates make the trucks sit at 52 mm in height

Then there are Venture low which are way lower than everything else, 48 mm in height.

I know I wouldn't trust everything I read online, but this has a really good chart of heights of all the trucks, which seems fairly accurate too:

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/blog/en/wiki/skateboarding/skateboard-wiki/trucks/

* That said, I am sure someone will find something that doesn't add up.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4460 on: June 05, 2023, 06:36:21 PM »

i did 8.75/6.1 until my recent size up to 9
always short wheelbases
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=115328.900
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

GT

• Rep: -15
« Reply #4461 on: June 05, 2023, 09:00:53 PM »
Can anyone please tell me what are the differences in measurement of older featherweight ventures to current ventures?

I remember them being my favourite back in the day but back then I didn't think about measurement and shit it was all how the board felt.

I wish I could find some for sale....

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 574
« Reply #4462 on: June 06, 2023, 04:18:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Not sure if anyone was interested in my ovaled pivots, but I’m fairly confident that recently I was doing way too many slappy crooked grinds on a metal ledge, and it wasn’t a fault with the baseplate. To test my idea, I tossed these old forged independent trucks on my bloard and spent a couple sessions blasting them into the ledge. Sure enough, they started ovaling on my heel side, too. The indy’s are older, but they seemed to start ovaling out faster than the ventures (or maybe it just seemed that way because I was looking for it). As seen here:

So I don’t think it’s a reflection on venture, and I figure I should just be more gentle and ollie into grinds that pinch from now on, or just accept the consequences of slappy life and give up on trucks that don’t wobble.
[close]

I say fuck it. If it happens to all trucks are they actually broken?
Also smashing your trucks into things is way too fun to stop.

Id like to see if you can do it to all brands and how long it takes for each. That'd be kinda sick.

Maybe you should report your findings to the suits in China and try to get more products for further r and d.

Respect for the science on two trucks too. Shits a pretty sick result.

Bahahaha, thanks yo, and honestly if I wasn’t a broke boi, buying a throng of trucks from different companies and documenting how they handle getting slappied is something I could see myself doing for fun.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #4463 on: June 06, 2023, 06:38:30 PM »
Can anyone please tell me what are the differences in measurement of older featherweight ventures to current ventures?

I remember them being my favourite back in the day but back then I didn't think about measurement and shit it was all how the board felt.

I wish I could find some for sale....
Pretty sure these are the featherlight hi”s
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314618863333?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=EslQ1m_cRUK&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Also, the Green bushing lows come up for sale on eBay a fair amount

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
(A)pl(E)

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4466 on: June 06, 2023, 07:09:25 PM »

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4467 on: June 06, 2023, 07:13:29 PM »
Agreed, mine back then were the 7.5 version and I had no idea they made the lows that wide.I might buy them

Same the pair at my brother's are tini.

I'd buy if I had bread.

I'm rolling pennies rn for a DiMarzio soap bar pick up.

I'm def going to need shoes ASAP too.  ::)
(A)pl(E)

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4468 on: June 06, 2023, 07:15:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Agreed, mine back then were the 7.5 version and I had no idea they made the lows that wide.I might buy them
[close]

I'd buy if I had bread.

What size foot are you if you are 11 I’ll send you a pair

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4469 on: June 06, 2023, 07:45:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd buy if I had bread.

[close]
What size foot are you if you are 11 I’ll send you a pair

Thanks pal. I got lil ass feets size 9

Preciate the thought tho
(A)pl(E)