Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 357339 times)

notinternetfamous

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #5550 on: March 19, 2024, 01:34:56 PM »
I'm 130 lbs and I did not like the loose trucks conversion set at all for doing actual tricks (riding around was fun tho)

If there's anyone in the HTX area that wants the shorter top bushings for free, hmu

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5551 on: March 19, 2024, 02:54:30 PM »
I'm 130 lbs and I did not like the loose trucks conversion set at all for doing actual tricks (riding around was fun tho)

If there's anyone in the HTX area that wants the shorter top bushings for free, hmu

You didn't tighten them down to where they are comfortable to skate?

We had to do this as they were definitely too loose when having the nut on flush, some others even adding an extra flat washer or two in between the normal top washer and nut and it worked perfectly and didn't have threads showing.

Just a thought anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #5552 on: March 19, 2024, 03:00:40 PM »
I found that even cranking the nut down the loose truck bushings stayed the same. Very loose.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5553 on: March 19, 2024, 03:37:36 PM »
I found that even cranking the nut down the loose truck bushings stayed the same. Very loose.

I feel like any new bushings need to break in and will firm up though.

First sessions on any trucks are often all kinds of weird, so it is the same with new bushings.

Of all the stock sets of Venture bushings I have from people swapping theirs out before they even have one skate, when they put a set of these unused stock bushings in, people have often said they don't feel like their old ones they took out of their trucks, but I do wonder how often people change trucks and that can have something to do with it.

Not having a go at all - I definitely thought the low green ones were way too loose to start with, but after having them in a board for more than a few sessions I ended up with the nut back a fair bit, compared to when brand new.  They firmed up a lot, not just cause it was a bit colder either, even though that can have something to do with it.

*  Just waiting on a regular head Venture bushing kit now, to keep people happy.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 03:45:40 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 969
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5554 on: March 19, 2024, 07:57:23 PM »
No one rides Ventures where I'm from. I've never stepped foot on them on anyone elses board or anything. Should I get some 6.1s? I've only ever been on Indy and Ace - kinda just lookin to try something new. Always been a loose trucks transition guy who sucks at popping tricks other than ollies up a curb or something.

I'm kinda intrigued by the fact that they push out the wheelbase and apparently have magic pop properties. Stability too. Thinking they might be my ticket to try out some shorter wheelbases that would typically be off limits for me due to being tall. Get my frieekin pop on. Bomb some hills worry/wobble free?!

I'm kinda torn between trying to roll stock purples with a flat washer, or just cop the new loose ventures that come with the shorter green bushings. Anyone have insights on those options? I feel like if I'm trying some Ventures, I want em to feel like Ventures

Loose trucks conversion wobble. Like a bunch. But it's like limited but it can definitely pitch you.

Just try to get the purple bushings that are almost see through and kinda sparkling. Use the flat washers. My 61s are pretty loose. 5.8 down I'd suggest the loose trucks style.

You can always throw a Thunder top on later or order the kit. You can't get purps with out buying trucks
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #5555 on: March 20, 2024, 05:58:07 AM »
yea same experience for me even when cranked down. it just felt like i lost that classic Venture stability. it was nice having that kinda twitchy turn; similar to Thunder is the best way i can explain it.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5556 on: March 20, 2024, 08:54:40 AM »
It’s hard to recommend it because they can be triggering, but I skate bones no washer, but I think some of the benefit comes in the conical shape and no washer…..I don’t weigh anything though…..

I know some big dudes who like ventures though even in bowls….just because they are stable and they can throw all their weight into turns and not G out….

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5557 on: March 20, 2024, 09:56:38 AM »
Perps will get you there on 6.1s
(A)pl(E)

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #5558 on: March 22, 2024, 08:35:18 AM »
Anybody made the switch from Indy to Venture? I've been on Indy's for years but have recently been experimenting with Venture High 5.6's. The stock bushings were too soft for my liking, but the blue Indy 92a replacement bushings seem to be the sweet spot for me. I could definitely see switching on shorter wheelbase decks.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #5559 on: March 22, 2024, 08:50:57 AM »
Anybody made the switch from Indy to Venture? I've been on Indy's for years but have recently been experimenting with Venture High 5.6's. The stock bushings were too soft for my liking, but the blue Indy 92a replacement bushings seem to be the sweet spot for me. I could definitely see switching on shorter wheelbase decks.

I'm been experimenting with some Ventures here and there (from Indys).  I got them to a great spot using Ace low bushings--which is how I'll keep them. I've also tried the loose bushing kit, and the top loose bushing on an Ace bottom bushing (both versions felt really tippy - uncontrolled loose). No matter what though, to me, they always turn wider/slower than Indys.  The stability at center and the grind are fun.  But also, as someone else said, once they are grooved a bit, the grind doesnt feel any different than Indy. 

I ultimately still prefer Indys over all other trucks (when paired with the indy aftermarkey conical bushings (med - orange)... but it's fun to skate the Ventures sometime... and I actually enjoy the Ventures more than I did skating Ace AF1s, which seems weird considering Ace AF1 is sorta where most former-Indy people go next. 
hardly art, hardly starving

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5560 on: March 22, 2024, 09:02:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm been experimenting with some Ventures here and there (from Indys).  I got them to a great spot using Ace low bushings--which is how I'll keep them. I've also tried the loose bushing kit, and the top loose bushing on an Ace bottom bushing (both versions felt really tippy - uncontrolled loose). No matter what though, to me, they always turn wider/slower than Indys.  The stability at center and the grind are fun.  But also, as someone else said, once they are grooved a bit, the grind doesnt feel any different than Indy. 

I ultimately still prefer Indys over all other trucks (when paired with the indy aftermarkey conical bushings (med - orange)... but it's fun to skate the Ventures sometime... and I actually enjoy the Ventures more than I did skating Ace AF1s, which seems weird considering Ace AF1 is sorta where most former-Indy people go next.

I had to fuck with my Indys too. Conical orange. Probably white now I'm like 50lbs lighter than in 2016 when I switched from my baby thunder lows .I rode on my get around for almost all of my 20s and 30s. One set of dark greens that whole time. They was like paper thin. I loved it. I'd just replace the washers like every year.

That's what my Ventures feel like now. Indys i got to subscribe to unnecessary plastic bullshit bones bushings in the winter.

I rode stock tight for an hour. Loosen it up to -1.5 threads. I was like daaaaamn!!! This is like old gullwing nice.
My 5.8s I up cycled the thunder top to replace the ole dlxsf loose kit. 13.9 wb. Got the front truck wide open. So fun.

Shits bad ass.
I rode some I think Indy 169s today on a ps reissue. It's my brothers.

I could barely roll on it. The trucks are basically cranked. I can skate cranked ventures if I gotta. My brother is much heavier than I. It was the opposite but I pulled it. Hahaha. Always winning.
(A)pl(E)

oak leaf

• Rep: 50
« Reply #5561 on: March 26, 2024, 06:57:27 AM »
i’ve been on 5.8s for a minute now and i’m loving them for street, flat, and transition. the one thing im having a hard time doing on them is carving a bowl pocket. This felt pretty natural on my ACEs but they are more wobbly than id like for everything else.  anyone got a trick for hitting tight pocket carves on ventures? I feel like im just powersliding and losing speed

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5562 on: March 26, 2024, 03:16:23 PM »
i’ve been on 5.8s for a minute now and i’m loving them for street, flat, and transition. the one thing im having a hard time doing on them is carving a bowl pocket. This felt pretty natural on my ACEs but they are more wobbly than id like for everything else.  anyone got a trick for hitting tight pocket carves on ventures? I feel like im just powersliding and losing speed

Any carve round corners is way more back foot, so really push down on your back toe (backside carve) or back heel (frontside carve) round the pocket and you should get a bit more used to it.

I also have some of everything, Venture, Indy, Thunder, Ace, etc so yeah sure Ace will just lean a little and turn a lot, but with Venture you have to get down a little lower and really dig in the back foot.  Reason I say more back foot is you don't want too much weight on the front and wheelbite which will throw you off, but if you can get anywhere near wheelbite on the back, it will not matter and you will have turned a lot more.

Funny how that works, but it is a real thing, even on flat or anything else too, although you are more likely to slide a bit on flat if you really dig in a back heel or toe.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5563 on: March 26, 2024, 05:49:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Any carve round corners is way more back foot, so really push down on your back toe (backside carve) or back heel (frontside carve) round the pocket and you should get a bit more used to it.

I also have some of everything, Venture, Indy, Thunder, Ace, etc so yeah sure Ace will just lean a little and turn a lot, but with Venture you have to get down a little lower and really dig in the back foot.  Reason I say more back foot is you don't want too much weight on the front and wheelbite which will throw you off, but if you can get anywhere near wheelbite on the back, it will not matter and you will have turned a lot more.

Funny how that works, but it is a real thing, even on flat or anything else too, although you are more likely to slide a bit on flat if you really dig in a back heel or toe.

Do you think the reason I can't get FS around a square bowl corner is because I'm too front seat? I've basically given up on big squares. I need a real tight corner to FS. So I can follow through all the way without going to shoulder or whatever.

Maybe just falling off the wall and landing on the face. I need to stand up on coping to get around a 90⁰ square. It's frustrating.
(A)pl(E)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5564 on: March 26, 2024, 06:45:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Do you think the reason I can't get FS around a square bowl corner is because I'm too front seat? I've basically given up on big squares. I need a real tight corner to FS. So I can follow through all the way without going to shoulder or whatever.

Maybe just falling off the wall and landing on the face. I need to stand up on coping to get around a 90⁰ square. It's frustrating.

That motion of getting the upper body turning and applying back foot pressure is the main thing.

I have seen people just fall right off a frontside carve when front foot pressed heel side down and wheelbite stopped the board dead - not a pretty sight, or sound.

Getting lower and especially if it is a whippy kind of corner getting just a little in the back more than the front works wonders, but make sure you don't end up too far back and then manual out - often ends in an eat shit moment of a different kind, which is not fun either.

Worth a shot even just lower down and not going super fast the way you would up higher just to figure out the motion.  We have a small square bowl that is really good to get people to learn how to carve round, rather than lift and turn, lift and turn, lift and turn every wall, so when I see people get it, they really open up a whole new world, so to speak.

* Ventures do turn a lot, but it is just a different kind of turn to other trucks, so working out how much pressure and where the body needs to be can then help anyone turn on any truck, but on some others, it is a lot easier to just put a little weight on one side and everything almost does a U turn without meaning to, especially coming from Ventures and skating Ace trucks for a session, which was so weird.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #5565 on: March 26, 2024, 10:28:04 PM »
Oh man…..I hate this conversion because it only leads us to one place….and I don’t like it……

Indy…..

your mom

• Rep: 26
« Reply #5566 on: March 27, 2024, 05:20:44 AM »
This was my solution. The indy truck replacement kit.

I tried ventures for a few months after riding indys for years and could never get them to feel good in a bowl. Plus the axles bent and I'm strictly lightweight low impact..

Put the indys back on and all is good. Might try ace or slappys one of these days for the madness

Luismps

• Rep: 6
« Reply #5567 on: March 28, 2024, 08:54:10 AM »
Sorry for the question that I thought had already been answered but I couldn't find it.

1 - All cast plates have the same size, whether 5.6 or 5.8, right? I can change the plate between sizes?
2 - Do you need 1" screws for the cast plates? Is 7/8" not enough?

Thanks you for your help

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5568 on: March 28, 2024, 09:17:59 AM »
Sorry for the question that I thought had already been answered but I couldn't find it.

1 - All cast plates have the same size, whether 5.6 or 5.8, right? I can change the plate between sizes?

Thanks you for your help

All cast and forged plates are interchangeable, forged are 1.5mm shorter than cast. See my signature for height measurements.

7/8" hardware will fit on cast or forged baseplates. Go 1" if you plan on using 1/8" risers.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Luismps

• Rep: 6
« Reply #5569 on: March 28, 2024, 09:38:45 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks you for your help
[close]

All cast and forged plates are interchangeable, forged are 1.5mm shorter than cast. See my signature for height measurements.

7/8" hardware will fit on cast or forged baseplates. Go 1" if you plan on using 1/8" risers.

Tks rocklobster!
No risers here.

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 177
« Reply #5570 on: April 01, 2024, 05:04:27 AM »
Just a quick appreciation to the 6.1 V hollows damn these things feel good!!

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5571 on: April 04, 2024, 08:00:44 PM »
Facing some gear madness, taking a short detour to Indy 149 territory. I don't know if and when I will return, but know that I'm very proud of all of you regardless.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #5572 on: April 04, 2024, 09:50:53 PM »
asleep
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5573 on: April 04, 2024, 10:14:55 PM »
asleep

Appropriate, my Garmin smart watch has been telling me my sleep quality has been poor for over a week now. Need to get off the Ventures to finally catch up on the z's.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5574 on: April 04, 2024, 10:32:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

That motion of getting the upper body turning and applying back foot pressure is the main thing.

I have seen people just fall right off a frontside carve when front foot pressed heel side down and wheelbite stopped the board dead - not a pretty sight, or sound.

Getting lower and especially if it is a whippy kind of corner getting just a little in the back more than the front works wonders, but make sure you don't end up too far back and then manual out - often ends in an eat shit moment of a different kind, which is not fun either.

Worth a shot even just lower down and not going super fast the way you would up higher just to figure out the motion.  We have a small square bowl that is really good to get people to learn how to carve round, rather than lift and turn, lift and turn, lift and turn every wall, so when I see people get it, they really open up a whole new world, so to speak.

* Ventures do turn a lot, but it is just a different kind of turn to other trucks, so working out how much pressure and where the body needs to be can then help anyone turn on any truck, but on some others, it is a lot easier to just put a little weight on one side and everything almost does a U turn without meaning to, especially coming from Ventures and skating Ace trucks for a session, which was so weird.

Yeah I'm too front seat. I can see it in my mind. Im gonna go work on it this week.

It just kinda hurts the ligaments too.
(A)pl(E)

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #5575 on: April 05, 2024, 12:23:43 AM »
Facing some gear madness, taking a short detour to Indy 149 territory. I don't know if and when I will return, but know that I'm very proud of all of you regardless.

Godspeed. I just set up another complete (8.25 DLX) with 149 Indy Tits. It's been sitting in my room for a while now, haven't dared to step on it yet. Aiming to hit more pool/transition stuff on that one.

That said, gonna skate my 5.6 V-Lights today like God intended.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #5576 on: April 05, 2024, 06:08:24 AM »

what’s the goal?

before i totally lost the plot, i thought that ventures made my setup feel ‘larger’, enabling me to ride a smaller complete.
but if i wanted to ride a larger than i should board, indy’s and the like, made it more manageable. or something.
the i just started trying combinations of everything and have no idea how to get back.
first day on indy’s, i tend to like them quite a bit. next session after that, i realize i can’t do em.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5577 on: April 05, 2024, 07:02:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what’s the goal?

before i totally lost the plot, i thought that ventures made my setup feel ‘larger’, enabling me to ride a smaller complete.
but if i wanted to ride a larger than i should board, indy’s and the like, made it more manageable. or something.
the i just started trying combinations of everything and have no idea how to get back.
first day on indy’s, i tend to like them quite a bit. next session after that, i realize i can’t do em.

I honestly don't know, not adapting well to the Opera deck, thinking it could be the 14"WB. And trying to learn slappys again so I thought it would be fun to try Indys for a change. Was in a bit of a funk ever since I tweaked my ankle a month back, could get consistent session in to rebuild my confidence, couple with over-skating last week to try making up for the past few weeks.

Not full blown madness, just need a holiday before realizing the Big V has always treated me good.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #5578 on: April 05, 2024, 07:05:24 AM »
I tend to take occasional stints on Indys every once in a while only to always happily return home to Ventures.

MxsDx

• Rep: 94
« Reply #5579 on: April 05, 2024, 09:41:09 AM »
I tend to take occasional stints on Indys every once in a while only to always happily return home to Ventures.

I am the exact opposite. I want nothing more than to love venture based on nostalgia - venture were my first trucks and something I skated consistently in the past. And for similar reasons, I have been disinclined to accept that Indy works for me on most boards.