Author Topic: New to a real winter, skating in 30 below weather.  (Read 3483 times)

ClownOfTheDay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
New to a real winter, skating in 30 below weather.
« on: January 09, 2020, 05:47:51 AM »
Hello, I currently live in Iowa, I am from SF where you would never find snow, lately it's been getting pretty cold and I was skating home last night, and my bushings froze up and cracked, It was like I was suggesting how they turned, they would turn awkwardly when they wanted. So I'm asking any winter vets on how to survive a winter, I live in rural Iowa so no Indoor parks, no skate shop, I also got my spring set up and wondering whether I should set it up until it gets warmer or now?

Edit: Yesterdays weather was 11 degrees F
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 05:49:32 AM by ClownOfTheDay »

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
Re: New to a real winter, skating in 30 below weather.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 06:00:01 AM »
Not worth skating outdoors when it’s that cold. Edit some footage or find another hobby in the meantime

ClownOfTheDay

• I miss Assflea
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 06:20:14 AM »
Not worth skating outdoors when it’s that cold. Edit some footage or find another hobby in the meantime
I've been trying to get into fitness cuz I'm getting pretty chunky, but I don't like running, I enjoy going hiking and taking walks but with the weather I'm cooped up in the house.

Diocletian

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 06:56:51 AM »
As long as it’s clear skies and a lot of sunshine I can tolerate as low as 45° but if it’s cloudy and windy at that temp, it’s unbearable. In your case, sounds like you just gotta work out a lot and stimulate your mind since there’s no indoor. My condolences brother. Winter sucks. I am deeply disturbed when I hear someone mention they love the season and snow. It’s not right.

ClownOfTheDay

• I miss Assflea
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 08:38:28 AM »
As long as it’s clear skies and a lot of sunshine I can tolerate as low as 45° but if it’s cloudy and windy at that temp, it’s unbearable. In your case, sounds like you just gotta work out a lot and stimulate your mind since there’s no indoor. My condolences brother. Winter sucks. I am deeply disturbed when I hear someone mention they love the season and snow. It’s not right.
Yeah, In the summer I was biking like 10 miles minimum a day, I was also skating a lot. I'v been doing a lot of squats lately, just did 95 pound squat. My legs hurt.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 09:42:49 AM »
Lift weights like you're in prison and planning to break out in spring.

ClownOfTheDay

• I miss Assflea
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 09:46:24 AM »
I don't have any  :-\

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 02:22:09 PM »
  Just go skate in the fucking cold.  Look, theres old women out walking they're dog at 6 in the morning.  The outside is good for you.  Shovel the snow off your park b4 that shit turns icy and hard to remove. Get some thicker wool winter socks, thats a must for cold skating so you can feel your feet.   Dont just sit inside, we've got ww3 on the brink, you got to get out skating while you can.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 03:08:13 PM »
Fuck skating when it’s that cold, it rattles my bones. If you have any indoor space or can commandeer some that could be an option.

That said, hiking and shit is doable but you need to layer. It’s not even that cold where I am rocking a Smartwool base layer top at all times.

I really like Smartwool but it’s stupid expensive and I wait for sales. Synthetic stuff like Underarmor is good too. No cotton. If I’m going to be outdoors all day then another mid layer, next a wool sweater, then fleece, then down jacket. I’m a wimp when it comes to cold but I can deal if I gear up.

ClownOfTheDay

• I miss Assflea
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 07:29:18 PM »
  Just go skate in the fucking cold.  Look, theres old women out walking they're dog at 6 in the morning.  The outside is good for you.  Shovel the snow off your park b4 that shit turns icy and hard to remove. Get some thicker wool winter socks, thats a must for cold skating so you can feel your feet.   Dont just sit inside, we've got ww3 on the brink, you got to get out skating while you can.
I skated today and it was nice out, got an hour in and it felt good to goof off on a rail, I didn't attept to progress more like a catch up day.

Dr Dew

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 07:43:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Your body is a weight (not a dig, I mean like you can do some body weight exercises even if u dont have dumbbells and stuff)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 05:09:26 AM »
Parking garage?

ClownOfTheDay

• I miss Assflea
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 05:42:40 AM »
Parking garage?
Oh shit I do have one in town, I'll check it out, it's gonna snow today so not today.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 05:44:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Parking garage?
[close]
Oh shit I do have one in town, I'll check it out, it's gonna snow today so not today.
years back when I was younger and skating more regularly it was the only option by me. Turned into a mini diy spot. Coverage and even might stay a touch warner depending

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 06:53:58 AM »
the elephant in the room is you moving to middle of nowhere iowa

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 07:06:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Your body is a weight (not a dig, I mean like you can do some body weight exercises even if u dont have dumbbells and stuff)
Do you have access to a car?

Buy a basketball second hand, a bag of playground sand, roll of duct tape, utility knife, and a funnel.

Cut a small flap in the basketball. Shove the funnel in and fill it with sand. You're going to need to tap/shake it to fill it as solid as possible. Duct tape it shut and tape it around and around using the whole roll.

You now have a 25-30 lb medicine ball. Squat with it. Lift it over your head. Go in the backyard and throw it with each arm. Do situps with it.

So much fucking fun for less than $10.

By the way, I have two of these. I sometimes put them in a backpack and walk.

On second thought, don't even buy a funnel if you have a plastic water bottle or 2 liter bottle. Just use the utility knife to cut out the top and use that as a funnel.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 07:22:55 AM by layzieyez »

ClownOfTheDay

• I miss Assflea
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 07:36:37 AM »
the elephant in the room is you moving to middle of nowhere iowa
Wish it was that easy I'm moving to the east cost within the next year or 2

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 02:17:23 PM »
Rural makes it a LOT harder. If you can find someone who has a warehouse or one of those prefab steel buildings they usually sit on a nice flat concrete pad, but you might have to work for it.

Parking garages are great for beating the snow/ice/salt issue but don't help with the temperature. This is unlikely if you're in the sticks but are there any upscale condo type places or business parks around? Sometimes they have underground parking that you can't see from the street.

For the cold, Learn to dress in layers... you can strip them off as you start to warm up. Wear flexible stuff that you can move in. I wear running tights under my pants, they keep you warm and give your butt a reassuring squeeze.

You can get cheap thermal base layers at TJ Maxx or walmart, then I usually have a hoodie over that and if its really bad an insulated coat over that. Warm socks are a must, but try to avoid the ultra thick wool ones since they kill board feel and can make it hard to move your ankles. Get a pair of gloves. I like the tight runner style ones with fleece lining. If you've got a friend who works at the local hospital have them steal a bunch of those instant heat packs and keep a couple in your hoody pocket for breaks.

Finally, always keep a hot coffee close by and be prepared to really question the life choices that have brought you to this moment. Once you have all this together, skate for 5 minutes until you get a shinner and go home. Then wait until spring.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 03:09:32 PM »
As someone who snowboards, skating in freezing temps is not an issue. Layer up and get some soft bushings. You won't be carving much but you can still go get some.

UPPERCASEnocap

• Rep: 3
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 08:04:25 PM »
Being from Montana, I've learned to skate in the cold. Luckily, my fiance supports my skateboard addiction and I've got my (unheated) garage set up with a box, rail and parking curb.  I've skated almost everyday since "winter". We haven't had much snow, or atleast what we are used to, but it's been cold. Bundle up, gloves, beanie, thick socks and base layers. Layers are key as you'll have to add/subtract depending on how hot you get during the session. Never keep your deck in a cold area too long. (car, garage, etc) The bushings will literally freeze and crack like you experienced. Once you start skating, they seem to be alright in the cold so long as you keep the bushing "warm" by just riding it.
That's pretty much it. Get your sesh in and get inside.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 08:07:23 PM by UPPERCASEnocap »

wurfnnjs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2020, 01:24:30 PM »
It's not worth it if it's below 20°. At that temp your bushings will be useless. Anything above, and I would skateba parking garage. Hell, even a driveway if it's flat enough.

ClownOfTheDay

• I miss Assflea
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2020, 05:51:49 AM »
As someone who snowboards, skating in freezing temps is not an issue. Layer up and get some soft bushings. You won't be carving much but you can still go get some.
Yeah after awhile yesterday I was fine, but then it snowed last night so guess I'll be playing red dead 2

lesserredpanda

• Rep: 15
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2020, 10:39:23 AM »
I skate a bunch in the cold. Have been out there in -30C if windchill is included. I bought a pair of jeans one size up and wear under armor thermals. Got myself some nice second hand leather gloves that hold up well despite grip tape. Thick socks, thermal long sleeve, hoody, flannel and a columbia winter coat. I usually get warm enough that I can lose the coat at points. I pack a second pair of thicker gloves just in case and a scarf if it's windy and I need to wrap my hood tighter to my head. I pocket some hankies for my runny nose and chap stick and lotion my face to avoid dryness. It sucks but it sure as shit beats not skating.

slippy

• Rep: 83
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2020, 10:49:28 AM »
Long underwear and gloves with beanie.  Not that cold here but around 30 it felt manageable, good luck!
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2020, 05:09:23 PM »
the cold sucks but is manageable with some gloves, thick socks, beanie/balaclava, layered clothing. just can't deal with when the ground doesn't wanna dry. when it's like that I won't skate. you adjust if you just push around and shit for a bit.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2020, 11:38:31 PM »
Get a cheap TRX knock off for when you're snowed in if you want to try to stay moving. Super versatile alternative to weights and you should be able to get some for less than a full price deck.

ClownOfTheDay

• I miss Assflea
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2020, 07:52:44 AM »
8 inches of snow, haven't be able to skate in a week and a half.

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2020, 11:20:39 AM »
the cold is fine but how the hell does anyone survive winters in the northwest?? experiencing my first one and i'm going mad. the ground literally never dries out... at least when there's snow on the ground you know you can't skate most of the time!

Depending on where you are in the northwest, there can be lots of resources for skating and avoiding the wet. I know many people with rain boards. If you're in Portland, there are a few indoor parks and parking garages all around that are lit up. Burnside doesn't get completely soaked, so there's that too. You can also meet folks easily enough who can get you into the Nike/Adidas parks if you're lucky.

Take advantage of sunny days as much as you can and enjoy feeling like an animal being let out of its cage come springtime.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2020, 11:35:20 PM »
8 inches of snow, haven't be able to skate in a week and a half.

Do you have an ambition snow skate? They are pretty sick.

truthislie

• Rep: 55
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2020, 12:41:08 AM »
This Winter I have done the leaste skating in winter season in ages. Up until early december I went a lot, but the last 2 months I have maybe been 3 times. Inatead I went indoor climbing a lot which I don’t really do in summer. I hope I won‘t lose too much tricks until march, but I m 36 so what the hell...

I really miss skating in good conditions but I feel too old to layer up just to skate for some time in the cold.