Author Topic: New to a real winter, skating in 30 below weather.  (Read 3487 times)

ClownOfTheDay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
Re: New to a real winter, skating in 30 below weather.
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2020, 06:27:38 AM »
Expand Quote
8 inches of snow, haven't be able to skate in a week and a half.
[close]

Do you have an ambition snow skate? They are pretty sick.
No money is tight.

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2020, 07:08:28 AM »
the cold is fine but how the hell does anyone survive winters in the northwest?? experiencing my first one and i'm going mad. the ground literally never dries out... at least when there's snow on the ground you know you can't skate most of the time!
Parking garages are your new home. Also nice to have a rain board (shitty deck with soft wheels) for when it’s not too cold but wet as fuck for weeks and you just want to get out and cruise. Most cities have great undercover/indoor spots. Where are you living at?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 07:12:38 AM by Pappy Jones »

animalflesh

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2020, 12:02:18 PM »
https://www.sourceboards.com/bitter-bushings

Cold weather bushings

They work

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2020, 04:18:12 PM »
Spots: Parking garages, anything covered, shovel out a mini ramp/curb, etc.

Clothes: Lots of layers. No cotton for baselayer. Under Armor cold-gear is a god-send. Mittens are warmer than gloves. I've worn a facemask/balaclava for years while snowboarding and winter bike riding, but had never worn one while skateboarding. I finally started two years ago (when it gets real cold), and it's amazing. Wish I had started sooner. Makes a big difference. Took a few tries to find one that was warm enough, and didn't obstruct vision too much. Not sure what shoes you run, but I found Kingfoams to trap (foot) heat much better than stock Vans ultracush insoles.

Attitude: The first 10-20 min of skating in cold weather SUCKS, but then after the blood gets flowing it's not as bad. But realize, it's freezing, you're dressed like Luke Skywalker on Hoth, so there is a level of suck you just have to accept and wait for spring. Warm coffee around is always good, too.   
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 08:47:00 AM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2020, 05:22:30 PM »
You hit it - I hate the first 10-20 minutes. It’s always my hands that are a bitch to warm up. Then the cold sweet is brutal too.

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2020, 04:57:40 AM »
Spots: Parking garages, anything covered, shovel out a mini ramp/curb, etc.

Clothes: Lots of layers. No cotton for baselayer. Under Armor cold-gear is a god-send. Mittens are warmer than gloves. I've worn a facemask/balaclava for years while snowboarding and winter bike riding, but had never worn one while skateboarding. I finally started two years ago (when it gets real cold), and it's amazing. Wish I had started sooner. Makes a big difference. Took a few tries to find on that was warm enough, and didn't obstruct vision too much. Not sure what shoes you run, but I found Kingfoams to trap (foot) heat much better than stock Vans insoles.

Attitude: The first 10-20 min of skating in cold weather SUCKS, but then after the blood gets flowing it's not as bad. But realize, it's freezing, you're dressed like Luke Skywalker on Hoth, so there is a level of suck you just have to accept and wait for spring. Warm coffee around is always good, too.   

Yeah. Those kingfoams could work. Gel/PU insoles are propably not so good.
I've been skateing DC legacy slims now, and they are definetly warmer than my vulc Vans shoes. I think it is because the DC's have an EVA midsole, and is an cupsole shoe.
Basically the more air there is in the material in the shoes, between the ground and your feet the warmer.

Another thing i try to avoid is gettin sweaty skateing in the cold. Warm but not hot basically.
Winter sucks, but soon comes spring.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2020, 08:50:06 AM »
You hit it - I hate the first 10-20 minutes. It’s always my hands that are a bitch to warm up.

Even cheap snowboard type mittens are much warmer than gloves. Just get some 1" hockey tape, and tape the thumb-up so it doesn't get destroyed by grip tape.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2020, 08:11:33 PM »
Expand Quote
You hit it - I hate the first 10-20 minutes. It’s always my hands that are a bitch to warm up.
[close]

Even cheap snowboard type mittens are much warmer than gloves. Just get some 1" hockey tape, and tape the thumb-up so it doesn't get destroyed by grip tape.

That's fucking brilliant. good tip.