Author Topic: Focusing boards  (Read 1384 times)

gin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Focusing boards
« on: January 11, 2020, 06:30:18 PM »
I've been skating for almost 4 years, and haven't broken a board. I started pretty late, and I'm pretty light (~135lb) but I think it's weird that it's never happened to me. I mostly end up retiring boards due to chips, delamination, and razor tail. I'm trying to prolong skating one deck now even though it's pretty much dead just to see if it'll break.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1209
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Focusing boards
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 07:06:42 PM »
Dude don’t tell everybody you’ve never broken a board.  You’re supposed to keep that a secret so it can be an endless source of shame and inferiority you can carry with you the rest of your life.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Brguy

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 10:21:37 PM »
It's probably the weight, I didn't start breaking boards until I got taller and heavier. First one was a Fs 180 on a 6 stair, but I've snapped some with a lot less.

lysdexia

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 10:33:16 PM »
20 years, never broken one

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 03:50:37 AM »
100% because you're a lightweight. My fatass, on the other hand, breaks them on flat.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 05:48:53 AM »
I broke a board doing a slappy board slide once. I'm chunky.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 07:26:15 PM »
100% because you're a lightweight. My fatass, on the other hand, breaks them on flat.
This......

my fatass definitely has crushed some boards and trucks.
Dueces Bitch's

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 05:05:53 AM »
Rolled my ankle right as summer was starting focusing a board, took me out for 3 months...no kidding. I was trying to break every piece and it twisted on the steep ass nose.

NOT Rick Kane

• Rep: -7
  • Nobody puts Baby in the corner.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 05:54:38 AM »
Rolled my ankle right as summer was starting focusing a board, took me out for 3 months...no kidding. I was trying to break every piece and it twisted on the steep ass nose.

Don't fuck with the trees man. They karma kings!

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 06:56:13 AM »
Age fitness and weight...

I only started to break boards more and more in my late 20’s.

Now at 43 I’m only skating VX decks because a wooden deck can last anywhere between 1-10 sessions

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 06:56:48 AM »
sucker shit

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 09:54:41 AM »
I've been skating for almost 4 years, and haven't broken a board. I started pretty late, and I'm pretty light (~135lb) but I think it's weird that it's never happened to me. I mostly end up retiring boards due to chips, delamination, and razor tail. I'm trying to prolong skating one deck now even though it's pretty much dead just to see if it'll break.

I'm also 135 lbs, and have been since high school. I'm 29 years old now and have been skating for around 15 years and break boards with some regularity. Sometimes on flatground, but other times off of stuff. I find that if I'm skating a set and deliberately trying to land on the board rather than kicking it out and eating the slam then I'll break the tail off or break it in the middle. Depends on the trick too. I have never cracked a board on a back lip but I used to break them on front lips all the time. I skate exclusively generator wood too so it's not just the boards. It's not weird to not break boards, everyone's just different.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 11:32:57 AM »
For whatever reason fake tre flips on flat almost always break boards for me.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 12:49:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure every board I have broken while skating has been on flat ground tricks.

I haven't focused a board since I was a kid. I felt so much shame the first time I did it successfully. I felt like such an idiot. I guess I didn't think the board would actually break. Instant regret. I'm honestly not sure if I focused a board ever after that... maybe if it was really beat and useless. Nowadays I don't think I would do that. I hoard all my old deck in my basement for absolutely no reason. I really should just drop them off at the shop in the free pile.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 01:42:43 PM »
I'll only focus a board if it's already cracked and I have another deck ready to go.

If you wanna break a board jump from higher drops. If you are just doing little ledges your board will rarely snap.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2020, 02:25:12 PM »
I used to break boards a lot more when I was lighter, mainly b/c I was throwing myself down bigger stuff back then. But I also used to break a lot on 360 flips and lipslides, when I was 15lbs lighter.

I still do those tricks but rarely break a board... I think boards are stronger these days... I'll crack a few plys here and there but its been years since I did a clean break.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 07:38:36 PM »
I rarely break boards maybe like one a year if that. I’m currently 180lbs but mostly skate ledges. It’s great, I’ll retire a board after about a month, I save them to give to people who need them or my brother for wood working projects.