Author Topic: Gym Routines  (Read 4568 times)

Lloyd Braun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
Gym Routines
« on: January 11, 2020, 09:08:49 PM »
I’m getting into the habit of visiting the Gym this year in the hopes of dropping some LBs getting in better shape, strengthening up to be able to skate longer and get less sore. Any pals got recommendations for workouts or routines that have worked for you? I’ve been focusing on legs, heel/toe walks on treadmill, stair master, leg presses etc. Also been doing seated rows and push ups for arms. I’ve been neglecting my core which I plan to start doing a few excercises targeting it tomorrow. But curious what some of you all do in the gym or even just at home.

Grind King Rims

Re: Gym Routines
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 09:26:49 AM »
I do a push/pull/legs routine that I got from Reddit. Focuses primarily on compound lifts for strength and then isolated lifts for a nice pump. It's decent.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 11:05:54 PM »
Check out Kyle Brown off Instagram, he covers a lot of great strength and conditioning exercises specific to skateboarding especially on the core, ankles and knees. For core exercises planks work well. I like to supplement my skateboarding with other sports like kickboxing which targets multiple areas and improves general fitness.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 12:25:45 PM »
Personally, I've been laying off the powerlifting as it made me super bulky and top heavy.

That said, I'm getting accustomed to using lighter weights and more reps as to tone and strengthen muscle rather than build it.

If your gym has the bosu ball (the half yoga ball with the plastic base), put it on the ground, base side up, then use a kettle bell (or plate) of a decent weight and do squats. The balance works out your core and the squats your legs.

For calfs, grab a 35lb plate in each hand, stand on the edge of a step, then do calf raises.

After all of that, do 20-30 mins cardio as your optimal heart rate should be reached, therefore, you can burn fat off easier.

Last, stretch and roll your muscles out on a foam roller.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 04:31:53 PM »

That shit hurts so good. I would also recommend a hard massage ball if you want to get in deep to the IT band or back.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 04:59:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That shit hurts so good. I would also recommend a hard massage ball if you want to get in deep to the IT band or back.

If you can afford it, a Hypervolt is tits. Holy fuck, on sore leg days, it hurts soooo good.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 05:46:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

If you can afford it, a Hypervolt is tits. Holy fuck, on sore leg days, it hurts soooo good.
I bought the poor man's version for my jigsaw for $16. Works pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VBMM48X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Algar

• Rep: 28
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 06:43:10 PM »
I usually do 15 min on an elliptical then squats, lunges, leg press, I do a lot of upper body stuff with a cable machine, and some sit ups and planks.  I try to mix it up, sometimes I'll hit the machines, but try not to use them regularly.

The gym i go to is in a community center down the street, it's cheap but only has dumbbells up to 30 lb and no barbells.  They do have a bunch of machines and a cable machine.

Either way, I've been at it for about 4 months now and am feeling really good in general but especially on the board.

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 07:25:11 PM »
Personally, I've been laying off the powerlifting as it made me super bulky and top heavy.

That said, I'm getting accustomed to using lighter weights and more reps as to tone and strengthen muscle rather than build it.

If your gym has the bosu ball (the half yoga ball with the plastic base), put it on the ground, base side up, then use a kettle bell (or plate) of a decent weight and do squats. The balance works out your core and the squats your legs.

For calfs, grab a 35lb plate in each hand, stand on the edge of a step, then do calf raises.

After all of that, do 20-30 mins cardio as your optimal heart rate should be reached, therefore, you can burn fat off easier.

This is great stuff. The gym I’m going to does have all that so I’ll start working this into my routine. I also don’t want to bulk up so been doing the same in terms of weight lifting. I’ve got a massage gun and I’d recommend it to anyone on the fence they’re amazing and you can get a good one off Amazon for under $200.

I’ve been at this for a week and a half now and also doing a ketogenic diet to drop some weight. How long did you guys start to notice a difference in your skating/appearance? I plan on sticking with this long term just curious.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 07:58:08 PM »
I haven't been lifting weights too much these days, I keep it strictly cardio, because I'm getting a bit fatter more easily most likely due to my age (34 now).

Here are some tips that I follow:

- try to exercise in the morning, before you eat or drink anything. This helps to burn fat more easily

- do some dynamic stretches before your workout

- try to use an elliptical machine. I do this instead of jogging on a treadmill because it's easier on my knees and ankles, we skate so we need take care of the joints (in my opinion). Also, when I use an elliptical, I don't hold on with my hands - I find this develops my balance and keeps the focus on my legs

- I jump rope. It's great for increasing my heart rate. It's also good mental exercise when you start to learn/remember different tricks and incorporate them into your routine. I break my jump rope routine into two sections - one "freestyle" where I practice tricks and learn new ones, and one "routine" where I try to do a certain set of moves within a time period (you can find different routines online - honestly, even the beginner ones tire me out)

- stretch and use a foam roller after your workout

As far as the ketogenic diet, be careful. It's necessary to get complex carbs and fibre in your body. I'll be totally honest, I was on a keto diet and my stool was bloody for weeks afterward. Real stressful.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 08:42:27 PM »
- I jump rope. It's great for increasing my heart rate. It's also good mental exercise when you start to learn/remember different tricks and incorporate them into your routine. I break my jump rope routine into two sections - one "freestyle" where I practice tricks and learn new ones, and one "routine" where I try to do a certain set of moves within a time period (you can find different routines online - honestly, even the beginner ones tire me out)

As far as the ketogenic diet, be careful. It's necessary to get complex carbs and fibre in your body. I'll be totally honest, I was on a keto diet and my stool was bloody for weeks afterward. Real stressful.

Yes for the skipping, was a critical part of my kickboxing training and I think it carried over well to skateboarding. I used to be able to do 20 minutes straight, I think i would struggle with 10 right now. Need to do it with music if not the boredom would kill me.

Diet too, weight loss / control is 70% diet, 30% exercise. If weight loss if your goal then intermittent fasting is really helpful. If I'm working out hard I throw in a protein shake or some BCAA to speed up recovery.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 07:35:15 PM »
Yeah as far as diet I’ve done keto several times with success but let my diet slip starting eating fast food and crap again and gained the weight back. I’ve been eating a lot of salad olives salmon shit like that. Just planning to use it for a few months to shed the fat I’m carrying. That’s crazy you had bloody stool I’ve never experienced that.

I did a 30 min bosu ball routine with squats planking push ups etc and really liked it. Great core work out and also good to strengthen and stabilize ankles. I’m going to keep doing that. Jump ropes great too. Thanks for all the reply’s guys you’ve all been super helpful.

Spankthemonkey

• Rep: -48
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 04:08:59 PM »
You get big  at Jim's your wife b worried you wear dress shoes how bout sneax

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 04:47:51 PM »
I do mostly compound lifts 4 days a week which for a natural lifter I think is perfect. I prefer a day of rest between each body part. I do back/rest/chest/rest/legs/rest/shoulders. Things like chin ups, bent over rows, deadlifts, t bar rows, incline/decline presses, weighted and non weighted dips, lunges, kettlebell and barbell front squats, leg press,
shoulder press, etc. Honestly weight training is addicting the same way skating is to me. You get out of it exactly the effort you put in. Just stay consistent with the diet and training and you'll see results quick.

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2020, 07:01:56 PM »
I didn’t expect to like working out as much as I do. I mean I’d rather skate but it’s fun pushing myself. I’ve been at it two weeks and lost 5lbs and 1.5in so I’m getting more motivated.

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 08:16:51 PM »
I didn’t expect to like working out as much as I do. I mean I’d rather skate but it’s fun pushing myself. I’ve been at it two weeks and lost 5lbs and 1.5in so I’m getting more motivated.
It gets really addicting. I hate to say it, but I haven't skated in 3 months. At this point physically I feel I'm better off in the winter getting a good workout in after work than a crappy 20 minute session in the dark.

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2020, 06:33:18 PM »
For anyone interested, I’ve been staying consistent with my diet and hitting the gym. I’ve dropped just under 20lbs and 2in off my waist. As far as skating goes, I didn’t get a lot of time to skate when I was home but when I did I didn’t get sore like I was getting before.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2020, 02:39:55 AM »
I haven't been lifting weights too much these days, I keep it strictly cardio, because I'm getting a bit fatter more easily most likely due to my age (34 now).

- try to exercise in the morning, before you eat or drink anything. This helps to burn fat more easily

- try to use an elliptical machine. I do this instead of jogging on a treadmill because it's easier on my knees and ankles, we skate so we need take care of the joints (in my opinion). Also, when I use an elliptical, I don't hold on with my hands - I find this develops my balance and keeps the focus on my legs

how do you go about this? i have a picture in my head but im not sure if i got it right
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2020, 05:37:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
how do you go about this? i have a picture in my head but im not sure if i got it right

I just try to learn a new move under loose time constraints while I'm learning it. Like right now I'm trying to learn side-swing crossovers, and I give myself about 10-20 minutes to attempt it. Then I'll take about 10 minutes to practice all the other ones I've learned and can actually do. I'm not doing them under a strict time regimen, I'll do whatever for fun.

I usually perform the routine before the freestyle so I make sure I get my exercise in.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2020, 01:22:52 PM »
maybe a weird question:

i got an injured knee and my doctor told me not to skate for at least three weeks. since i'm super bummed, do any of you have any tips on exercises or routines, that i could do in all that spare time i got now, that might help me as soon as i'm able to step on my board again? he basically said no jumping, no sudden weight shifts onto the knee...
super bummed since it hit me after some really intense times at work and i'm basically free until may.

JohnMar

• Rep: -2
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2021, 05:56:21 AM »
I do a lot of things. I do not know with what to start, haha. My husband is a trainer, and my life is pretty active. I go to the gym three times a week, with weights. I like to watch Pamela Reif or Gaby's workouts at home because these girls give me such a vibe. Also, hiking, kayaking, and Pilates are part of my life when exercises become boring. Try to take some supplements or vitamins. They will give you much more resistance and a good mood.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2021, 11:53:26 AM »
I follow PPL too but I just started; trynna bulk up. i struggle with eating right tho; shit's mad hard.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 03:46:16 PM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2021, 07:31:57 PM »
I follow this too but I just started; trynna bulk up. i struggle with eating right tho; shit's mad hard.

If you are trying to bulk up then your diet won't be that much of an issue. You have to eat a lot of calories to bulk up. Of course you want to give your muscles the right amount of protein carbs and fat but a junk diet shouldn't be an issue.

The issue is consistency and duration.

Hit weights 3 to 6 times a week, do it for 5 years and you should have some bulk on you. If not do it for another 10 years

Samsol

• Rep: 0
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2021, 04:18:36 AM »
I've been working out at the gym since I was 12 years old and I can tell you it's the best place for me. Exercise is a way of generating energy of mind and body, and it is also a kind of discipline. I come to the gym every day at 8 p.m. and spend three hours on it. Guys will agree with me that we get high after a good workout. To keep my body in shape I use not only regular vitamins, but also dianabol. On the advice of my trainer I decided to gain muscle mass and even discussed it with my doctor. Now I'm sick with covid and can't go to the gym, it's soooo sad. I hope I'll be healthy soon.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 01:11:41 AM by Samsol »

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2021, 12:15:36 PM »
As a 47 year old man with life long knee and hip problems this no equipment workout has done wonders for my knees, hips and ankles. I do this at least once a week mostly twice

Zero
Zero weights needed. Zero equipment needed. Zero need to work through pain. Zero special abilities needed to start. Welcome to Knee Ability Zero. The following formula can be done 3 days per week, ideally Monday-Wednesday-Friday to allow 48 hours recovery between sessions.

WARM-UP: 5-10 MINUTES MONDAY-WEDNESDAY-FRIDAY
Reverse Out Knee Pain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DeFhaUkl34

LOWER BODY FLOW: MONDAY-WEDNESDAY-FRIDAY

Step 1: Tibialis Raise 25 reps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNS_QjGAs_k

Step 2: FHL Calf Raise 25 reps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWedccP0o_U

Step 3: Tibialis Raise 25 reps

Step 4: KOT Calf Raise 25 reps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1aMq9W-jDo

Step 5: Patrick Step 25 reps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTktLtISKek

Step 6: ATG Split Squat 5 x 5 sets per leg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHHI9l8Zp40

Troubleshooting Split Squats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbDSBFSaPvI

Step 7: Elephant Walk 30 reps per leg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxGfrD9_Uzs

Step 8: L-Sit 60 second’s total
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8LsLLU8yoI

Step 9: Couch Stretch 60 sec. per side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jay0Sd2exg0&t=5s

MOBILITY & UPPER BODY FLOW: TUESDAY-THURSDAY: 1-3 ROUNDS OF EACH

Calf Stretch x 60 Sec Each
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QdvHhTyRy4&t=2s

Hamstring Stretch x 60 Sec Each
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXu3KvdzBgE

Outer Glute Stretch x 60 Sec Each
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWUBL7C8R88

Groin Stretch x 60 Sec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGI5FcTsdCE

Inner Hamstring Stretch x 60 Sec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqu3AI4ybZE

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2021, 04:03:15 PM »
As a 47 year old man with life long knee and hip problems this no equipment workout has done wonders for my knees, hips and ankles. I do this at least once a week mostly twice

Zero
Zero weights needed. Zero equipment needed. Zero need to work through pain. Zero special abilities needed to start. Welcome to Knee Ability Zero. The following formula can be done 3 days per week, ideally Monday-Wednesday-Friday to allow 48 hours recovery between sessions.

WARM-UP: 5-10 MINUTES MONDAY-WEDNESDAY-FRIDAY
Reverse Out Knee Pain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DeFhaUkl34

LOWER BODY FLOW: MONDAY-WEDNESDAY-FRIDAY

Step 1: Tibialis Raise 25 reps

Step 2: FHL Calf Raise 25 reps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWedccP0o_U

Step 3: Tibialis Raise 25 reps

Step 4: KOT Calf Raise 25 reps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1aMq9W-jDo