Author Topic: “Rip Proof” shoelaces  (Read 3996 times)

Torre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -30
“Rip Proof” shoelaces
« on: January 12, 2020, 09:59:28 AM »
If anyone is like me, as a skateboarder, ripping laces can be a major problem. It seems no matter what I do, I rip my laces in 1-2 sessions (using the stock laces for the shoe).
I’ve tried 2 companies that purport to have solved the problem with super durable laces, Immortal Laces and Lifetime Laces.
The Immortal Laces are strong but don’t last me more than 2 weeks (however they Guarantee free replacements if you rip them within 2 weeks). However, I have ripped them on several occasions in a week.
Lifetime Laces are based in the UK but shipping took less than a week. These were stronger than immortal but their texture and consistency is weird and kind of slippery.
Other than these, ifI don’t have special laces, id have to constantly buy new laces. Anyone else have any experience with laces that don’t rip fast?

Eds_gallerist

Re: “Rip Proof” shoelaces
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 10:59:37 AM »
I heard this was a rollerblading forum. But I could be wrong.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 11:06:57 AM »
I heard this was a rollerblading forum. But I could be wrong.
only the mods are

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 11:16:52 AM »
Gorilla tape over the laces seems to work for me

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 12:26:53 PM »
It's been brought up before, someone had mentioned paracord....

I crazy glue the common wear spots, works well...

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 01:25:31 PM »
Idk bout your stuff

But this stuff here is mighty fine

i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1000
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 01:33:20 PM »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 02:30:42 PM »

Rem377

• Rep: 4
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 02:41:24 PM »
It's been brought up before, someone had mentioned paracord....

I swear by paracord. I usually get the 550 width or 425, which is a bit smaller. A hundred feet of it costs about $10 on Amazon and will last me through a couple pairs of shoes. It still rips eventually, but lasts at least 5x longer than regular laces. Just cut the cord to length of your regular laces and burn the ends so they don't fray.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 03:17:15 PM »
The best laces are from Old Kook. http://www.oldkook.com/website/html/snakes.html

They’re guaranteed to out last your shoes and they always have for me.  I normally break laces within 3 sessions, the old kook laces lasted me through two pairs of shoes (swapped sides on the second pair because I can’t skate switch haha)

No idea what he uses but they’re amazing

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 03:18:03 PM »
I've had the same problem with various shoes over the years, sometimes going through 3 laces a session. I feel like the flat laces last longer than the thin, round, cord-like ones.

A more safe-bet option is buying shoes that have lace protection (the recently re-issued Stevie Williams DC shoe looks good). I've also only had this issue on really low-cut shoes.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 03:52:24 PM »
ive had many a lace rip when skating blazers but yet to face this on my 5th pair of kalis lites just saying

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 09:11:29 PM »
I lived, loved and loathed the era of puff moon boots, wish they carried over the lace protectors from shoes of that era. I don't recall ever having to swap out laces, the soles or toe cap area would give up before the laces ever did.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Glurmpz

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2020, 09:56:31 PM »

^This is the answer. Crazy glue isn't thick, so it just seeps into the laces and makes them almost indestructible.

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2020, 11:06:01 PM »
you could use zip ties instead of laces on the bottom few grommets

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2020, 07:57:09 AM »
I heard slip on shoes laces don't rip.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 08:31:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

^This is the answer. Crazy glue isn't thick, so it just seeps into the laces and makes them almost indestructible.
I also use glue on the exposed lace spots that touches grip. Just whatever super glue I can find tho.
Works great.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

MotoPancakes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 11:24:50 AM »
I started skating bare foot and my laces stopped ripping. Only problem was I began to rip my flesh open. My solution was to buy lakai stickers to put in my ollie wound area, +1 for Crailtap.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2021, 05:07:29 PM »
I swear by the laces on https://www.notsponsored.shop/ by Christian Flores. I put one pair of white laces on 2 different shoes and they have no sign of coming apart any time soon. Only VERY light fraying. The two shoes were the Vans chima 2’s and the DC Tiago S shoe before he left for New Balance. The Chima 2’s especially have a lace placement very low near the flick area and this ONE set of laces are barely breaking a sweat while they’re on the DC’s.

I put a pair of black laces on my DC Evan Smith S’s and they have an even lower lace placement than the Chima 2s. The original laces that both the Vans and DC’s came with ripped in the first or second session. But with these laces, they will definitely far surpass the life span of MULTIPLE shoes. Thats how rigid and solid they are.

My only issue with them is that they don’t hold the knot that securely when you tie them but that can be fixed by just pulling harder on them.

Plus they’re only 12 bucks for a set. I got 2 in white and 2 in black. I put one black pair on my regular everyday walking shoes because they look pretty good too.

HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMEND. And no bullshit I think I don’t have to worry about laces ripping for years now. and no I’m not involved with that site or Christian in anyway.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2021, 05:13:49 PM »
Or just use super glue.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

pro club blanks

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2021, 05:54:36 PM »
I swear by the laces on https://www.notsponsored.shop/ by Christian Flores. I put one pair of white laces on 2 different shoes and they have no sign of coming apart any time soon. Only VERY light fraying. The two shoes were the Vans chima 2’s and the DC Tiago S shoe before he left for New Balance. The Chima 2’s especially have a lace placement very low near the flick area and this ONE set of laces are barely breaking a sweat while they’re on the DC’s.

I put a pair of black laces on my DC Evan Smith S’s and they have an even lower lace placement than the Chima 2s. The original laces that both the Vans and DC’s came with ripped in the first or second session. But with these laces, they will definitely far surpass the life span of MULTIPLE shoes. Thats how rigid and solid they are.

My only issue with them is that they don’t hold the knot that securely when you tie them but that can be fixed by just pulling harder on them.

Plus they’re only 12 bucks for a set. I got 2 in white and 2 in black. I put one black pair on my regular everyday walking shoes because they look pretty good too.

HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMEND. And no bullshit I think I don’t have to worry about laces ripping for years now. and no I’m not involved with that site or Christian in anyway.
Nice try christian

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1158
  • old and in the way
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2021, 06:23:48 PM »
I lived, loved and loathed the era of puff moon boots, wish they carried over the lace protectors from shoes of that era. I don't recall ever having to swap out laces, the soles or toe cap area would give up before the laces ever did.

Kind of surprised there hasn't been a recent Emerica HK1 influenced shoe featuring those lace savers and that cool toe.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 162
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2021, 06:42:12 PM »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2021, 07:07:36 AM »
I’ve seen Sakura Yoizumi (the girl that won qualifiers for Olympic bowl) a few times, she skates vert and knee slides out of everything, which kills shoes and shoelaces. She rocks zipties. Also looks pretty punk
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2021, 07:19:00 AM »
having to bring out boxcutters if you wanna take yr shoes off seems m/w-ildly inconvenient to me

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2021, 07:50:30 AM »
https://www.ironlace.com/boot-shoelaces/unbreakable-boot-laces/

I got a pair for my work boots and they’ve been great so I figured I’d get the same pair of round laces for my 440’s to see how they held up. Ive put them through about 6 sessions thus far and they haven’t ripped or even really frayed yet.

Kicker is they also stay tied really fucking well.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2021, 01:42:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Nice try christian

From the site:
"This Shoelace has high wear-resistance, toughness, durability, and biocompatibility."

How many other laces brands do you know you could eat on the spot in case of low energy levels?
Yeah... that's what I was thinking...

al_cvbrera

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2021, 01:48:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Nice try christian
dude no kidding lol. i'll take a pic of the ones i'm skating now for proof when i get home. i love em.

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2021, 02:58:16 PM »
A friend of mine uses paracord as shoelaces, seems to be working out for him.

I usually only skate in Sk8-his which has the laces more on top of the shoe instead of on the side, so I literally never rip laces with them.

Banging in the Slammer

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2021, 07:50:54 AM »

A friend turned me on to these. Unfortunately they wore down my mob grip tape fast. I was thinking perhaps because mob is a coarser grip and latches on too much. Are you on Jessup?