Author Topic: Ian Michna | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 178  (Read 7665 times)

drcroc

Re: Ian Michna | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 178
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2020, 06:26:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The most interesting part of this interview was the beginning when he forced Crob to son him with, "Stay in your f*cking lane" or whatever he said...

Plus, you'll notice the entire conversation centered around, "How much money are you making right now off being the creator of Jenkem?" which he doesn't really answer. Which, he doesn't have to, but it would be interesting to know.

Props to this guy for going after his idea and making it into something... Just gotta wonder if Jenkem can really be this guy's forever career.

The fact that he mentions the filmer Socrates Leal "shouldn't have to" get a factory job, but didn't offer the guy employment himself came off as a bit naive. Saying what someone else should or shouldn't have to do is too close to saying what they should or shouldn't do in general, comes off kind of "know-it-all"-ish.
[close]

I think you're overestimating the size of operations over at Jenkem.
[close]

Ha totally agree. They have budget to do cool shit and have decent ad revenue coming in, but it's still a skateboarding content website.

That's exactly it. He doesn't have the means to employ the guy through Jenkem, but he's willing to suggest someone else in the skate-industry should just do it, instead.

It's like working in the Finance world and saying to one of your ex-Finance, unemployed friends, "Hey, I can't help ya buddy, but you shouldn't have to work at McDonald's, just be more outgoing and maybe one day you'll be back in the Finance world like me."  Unfortunately, life doesn't really work that way.

waffle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2020, 06:48:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The most interesting part of this interview was the beginning when he forced Crob to son him with, "Stay in your f*cking lane" or whatever he said...

Plus, you'll notice the entire conversation centered around, "How much money are you making right now off being the creator of Jenkem?" which he doesn't really answer. Which, he doesn't have to, but it would be interesting to know.

Props to this guy for going after his idea and making it into something... Just gotta wonder if Jenkem can really be this guy's forever career.

The fact that he mentions the filmer Socrates Leal "shouldn't have to" get a factory job, but didn't offer the guy employment himself came off as a bit naive. Saying what someone else should or shouldn't have to do is too close to saying what they should or shouldn't do in general, comes off kind of "know-it-all"-ish.
[close]

I think you're overestimating the size of operations over at Jenkem.
[close]

Ha totally agree. They have budget to do cool shit and have decent ad revenue coming in, but it's still a skateboarding content website.
[close]

That's exactly it. He doesn't have the means to employ the guy through Jenkem, but he's willing to suggest someone else in the skate-industry should just do it, instead.

It's like working in the Finance world and saying to one of your ex-Finance, unemployed friends, "Hey, I can't help ya buddy, but you shouldn't have to work at McDonald's, just be more outgoing and maybe one day you'll be back in the Finance world like me."  Unfortunately, life doesn't really work that way.

I don’t see what’s wrong with it. If you don’t have the means to employ someone, at the worst your telling them something positive. At the best, his message spreads, and someone newly informed hires him.

Regardless of what you believe, luck is involved in a lot of things. For example, in tech, top companies (e.g. FAANG) receive thousands of applications for each job posting. As part of the filtering, there are necessarily false-negatives. If I have a friend whom I know is a great engineer get rejected, I can sincerely tell him, “It’s a shame you [at whatever stage of the interview process] got rejected. You’d be great here.” Is the onus then on my to get him hired there?

Likewise, Ian can recognize the potential Socrates has and call it out without owing him anything. Again, now we’re talking about Socrates working in the skate industry , a net positive for him if nothing else.

Also, saying others shouldn’t post about others goes against your cyclical point:

Saying what someone else should or shouldn't have to do is too close to saying what they should or shouldn't do in general, comes off kind of "know-it-all"-ish.”

drcroc

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2020, 07:18:40 PM »
I don’t see what’s wrong with it. If you don’t have the means to employ someone, at the worst your telling them something positive. At the best, his message spreads, and someone newly informed hires him.

Regardless of what you believe, luck is involved in a lot of things. For example, in tech, top companies (e.g. FAANG) receive thousands of applications for each job posting. As part of the filtering, there are necessarily false-negatives. If I have a friend whom I know is a great engineer get rejected, I can sincerely tell him, “It’s a shame you [at whatever stage of the interview process] got rejected. You’d be great here.” Is the onus then on my to get him hired there?

Nope, but the suggestion the Jenkem guy made went beyond this. He said, "If you were more outgoing, you'd have an active career in the skate industry," and "you shouldn't have to work outside of the skate industry."

To which I said, hey that's pretty naive.

Also, saying others shouldn’t post about others goes against your cyclical point:

Saying what someone else should or shouldn't have to do is too close to saying what they should or shouldn't do in general, comes off kind of "know-it-all"-ish.”

I never said "others shouldn't post about others"... And not sure what a "cyclical point" is. If I tell you (or anyone, for that matter), "Hey, stop posting on SLAP, just some advice," I'd come off as a D-bag, right?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 07:38:20 PM by drcroc »