Author Topic: Is the midway cut to 2nd angle ever an acceptable editing choice?  (Read 2666 times)

Dr Dew

Just now got around to watching the Ishod and Kyle part. Near the end of Ishod's part me hits a fat back feeby deebys on a rail and they do that weird editing thing where they use 2 angles but the 1st angle cuts out early to the 2nd angle.i feel like i haven't seen it used that much lately but whenever i do i never know if im into it or not.. i guess it comes from action movie style editing that came before skate videos, and yeah it works nice in those. but with skateboarding idk. sometimes i'd just rather see both angles in full.

thoughts? examples? focus?

edit to add some gifs

Erik Ellington, Zero - Misled Youth, 1999

?? guest trick in Johan Stuckey, WKND - Pro Part, 2017
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 05:18:27 PM by Dr Dew »

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
Re: Is the midway cut to 2nd angle ever an acceptable editing choice?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 08:40:57 PM »
You know I've been thinking about this lately. When I started paying attention to skating again like 5 years ago I was really surprised to see it being done. I think it looks good sometimes, but the timing hasn't been right. I think the example you gave is an example of a really shitty way of doing it.

I like it more when some sort of flip trick or ollie is being done. Like someone is blasting through the air and you cut to wear he's landing, makes it feel like goddamn we had to have 2 camera guys to cover the distance this guy went. Or sometimes it help's the pace feel a little faster.

I'm betting a lot of the bad versions are people trying to get use out of an angle that ended up sucking when it got played back.

Dr Dew

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 08:53:11 PM »
Good points, also maybe sometimes the first angle wasn’t a make

I wanna mention that the ishod example actually looks a lot better in the context of the whole video part. It’s a lot more jarring watching it looped in the gif I made. Didn’t realize that until after I posted

RCB3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 09:01:33 PM »
Pretty sure Ty Evans does is a lot now and unfortunately Mike Manzoori started doing it a ton. I remember watching this Joslin Real Street and being so frustrated by those shots. He does it on 6 or 7 of the clips and I think he did it a lot in the Etnies video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98o5WWvVdOg

Irvine-Sucks.com

Dr Dew

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 09:12:28 PM »
Fuck that was painful to watch. More than twice in a part is awful. That’s where I’m drawing the line I think

showbobs

• Rep: -1
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 09:52:54 PM »
Pretty sure Ty Evans does is a lot now and unfortunately Mike Manzoori started doing it a ton. I remember watching this Joslin Real Street and being so frustrated by those shots. He does it on 6 or 7 of the clips and I think he did it a lot in the Etnies video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98o5WWvVdOg

When it's done mid trick and cuts to another angle mid trick, that's very unacceptable. I was going to bring up the Etnies videos and how they do this. You don't even get one full angle of the trick happening. How do you think this is ok?

puff daddy

• Rep: -13
  • all we do is watch mtv cribs
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 12:26:30 AM »
hold on you said ishod did what fucking trick ?

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 01:42:39 AM »
I think it can work well in showing a spot from a different angle if there is something unique about the spot that needs to be shown.

For example, a stair set with a very narrow run up. Start from a low top angle, shows the skater going off the stairs from behind and then cuts to a front on angle to show the size of the set.

Pretty Sweet has lots of TERRIBLE examples where they cut the trick 3 or so times. MJ's casper stall thing on the brick quarter and VA's boardslide/lipslide on the curved fence thing come to mind. By the time the tricks over, it's been cut so many times that you wonder if you actually saw it in a single complete motion.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

howtotictac

• Rep: 12
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 02:00:33 AM »
Just now got around to watching the Ishod and Kyle part. Near the end of Ishod's part me hits a fat back feeby deebys on a rail and they do that weird editing thing where they use 2 angles but the 1st angle cuts out early to the 2nd angle.i feel like i haven't seen it used that much lately but whenever i do i never know if im into it or not.. i guess it comes from action movie style editing that came before skate videos, and yeah it works nice in those. but with skateboarding idk. sometimes i'd just rather see both angles in full.

This one looks weird cause they left too much run up when the second angle starts which makes the whole thing not very dynamic. Also both angles are too similar.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 02:13:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This one looks weird cause they left too much run up when the second angle starts which makes the whole thing not very dynamic. Also both angles are too similar.

Agreed.
The first angle should be here to show something that is not extremely clear in the make angle.
Here both angles are the same, and the spot is quite easy to understand with one angle only.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Sarcasm

• Rep: -9
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 02:31:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Agreed.
The first angle should be here to show something that is not extremely clear in the make angle.
Here both angles are the same, and the spot is quite easy to understand with one angle only.

This is what I was gonna say. I sometimes do this technique if it goes with the song and makes the video more interesting. Who remembers in the etnies video when they cut Trent McClung's triple kink feeble from the first angle midway then starting the 2nd angle midway, neither angle showing the full trick. Was it a make, I don't know? If I were Trent I'd be so pissed lol.

Ghost Face

• Rep: 95
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 02:50:13 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

This!

Maybe doing a slight pan from the top showing a little of the run up and the pop but then switching to the front angle would of worked better. The cut has to be tight though and not having 2sec of run up again. That's redundant.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 04:33:16 AM »
Chris joslin is amazing.

Split-trick edits are shit.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 05:08:21 AM »
It's a dogshit way to pad out time or force you to pay attention to a trick.  Just do a 'cool trick alert' ya dingbats

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 06:07:39 AM »
Jojo's pro part makes great use of the technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbbk8-Nzs9I

max_o

• Rep: 14
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 06:32:10 AM »
The earliest and best example that comes to my mind is this Ellington bs flip – aside from showing the mechanics of the spot, it adds to the drama of the trick by showing his steely gaze on the roll up. Kind of an early example of what Strobeck does these days. https://youtu.be/eeaPFXvVSGM?t=116

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 06:33:15 AM »
I want to see the clip once in real time fisheye. Then I wanna see the long lens photo in the mag. That’s it

Copthorne14

• Rep: -24
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2020, 09:53:53 AM »

I think it can work well in showing a spot from a different angle if there is something unique about the spot that needs to be shown.

For real, works great if you want to show off that a spot has a gnarly run-up or if you got a great angle in a composition sense but it makes the spot look underwhelming so you can cut to a proper angle that highlights the gnar.

I dont like it at all in general as it reminds me of 80s vids with fake-makes and other shady shit.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 09:55:41 AM by Copthorne14 »

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2020, 10:11:44 AM »
hold on you said ishod did what fucking trick ?

Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2020, 10:53:21 AM »
it's fine as long as one angle shows the trick in its entirety, I turned off a video today cuz they did some dumb ass cut in the middle of the ledge and just go matching action. Also the instagram line edits are unacceptable, its all Powell/Hollywood magic at that point

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2020, 10:58:08 AM »
I always thought they did this when the skater got close to the trick but didnt ride away. Then the filmer can change angles and use both clips.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2020, 12:10:32 PM »
I always thought they did this when the skater got close to the trick but didnt ride away. Then the filmer can change angles and use both clips.

This, but also when switch from long lens to fisheye & visa versa it can work. its all about timing of the cut, if you time it wrong it looks almost childish

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2020, 12:23:16 PM »
in the case of the chris joslin clip, im pretty sure they have a hard deadline for time for those xgames real street clips because its airing on TV or whatever, possibly live broadcast. so if 1 angle doesnt do justice then a 2nd one is needed but they cant afford the time to show it in full... i would have just choose different tricks tbh focused on tricks that only needed 1 angle to show effectively. i think it looks lik eshit.
ONTARIO CANADA

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2020, 12:27:47 PM »

mArLeY

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2020, 01:14:11 PM »
The earliest and best example that comes to my mind is this Ellington bs flip – aside from showing the mechanics of the spot, it adds to the drama of the trick by showing his steely gaze on the roll up. Kind of an early example of what Strobeck does these days. https://youtu.be/eeaPFXvVSGM?t=116

This actually worked really well. Good example.

EE in Misled Youth has gotta be in my low key top 5 parts of all time.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

thebacker

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2020, 01:15:33 PM »
it's worse when BOTH ANGLES FUCKING SUCK

like alex midlers ender in that redbull video

how can you fuck that up so badly

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2020, 01:59:07 PM »
It has its place at times to help the viewer better understand a spot but the cut in that Ishod part is so unnecessary. What’s really bad is when the first and second half of a trick are shown separately from two different angles. The amount of times I’ve a seen “professionals” do this is baffling. Such garbage.

ThePeoplesChamp

• Rep: -14
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2020, 02:38:08 PM »
Oh yeah, big time acceptable. Shows the spot from different angels and it's a enjoyable when the cross overs go with whatever song is being used.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2020, 02:44:06 PM »
Sometimes its ok but almost always I want to see the trick from the  first angle

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2020, 05:25:16 PM »

This Ellington one worked well but I usually don't like it mid-trick.

Anyone a fan of the second they land it cuts to the same trick from the second angle? Waaaay back when I knew a pretty well known filmer from DC we argued over this one clip where he was fish and I was long... His fish eye line stopped when dude skating Ollied a six stair and then Feebled the hand rail of the second set of stairs. He insisted the first Ollie cut in mid-air, then my angle of him in air landing then doing the Feeble. I wanted it to cut the second he landed the first Ollie... Fish-eye line, Ollie the six-quick cut then my angle starts the second he Ollied the first then the feeble. Funniest part is after the Feeble I zoomed in on his face, pre-Strobek, but taken from Dan Wolfe (Probably where Strobek got it too). I'd post it but it's lost in the archives somewhere