Author Topic: John Rattray - Why So Sad?  (Read 4375 times)

KDP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 12
Re: John Rattray - Why So Sad?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2020, 02:51:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Turned it on, saw the bikes, turned it off. I’m sure rattray is still killing it tho.
[close]

You are an idiot.

Rattray is the man, was always one of my favourites on Zero and just seems like a good dude
[close]
You’re an idiot and I don’t give a fuck about  bikes. Even if it’s chrome Cardiel shit.
[close]

god forbid people have hobbies outside of skateboarding.
[close]
I just don’t fuck with bikes

But, if you actually watched it, you'd realise that it isn't about bikes at all. It's about Sad Plants and mental health.

That's a bit like turning Star Wars off on the opening crawl because you don't like reading.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1191
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2020, 03:21:51 PM »
Love this mother fucker.  Such a likable dude.  Handsome af too.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2020, 03:37:35 PM »
That was a moving piece. John is doing some great work but I am generally hyped that skateboarding has come to a place where this kind of stuff can be openly facilitated. It's been understated for way too long.

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2020, 05:40:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Turned it on, saw the bikes, turned it off. I’m sure rattray is still killing it tho.
[close]

You are an idiot.

Rattray is the man, was always one of my favourites on Zero and just seems like a good dude
[close]
You’re an idiot and I don’t give a fuck about  bikes. Even if it’s chrome Cardiel shit.
[close]

god forbid people have hobbies outside of skateboarding.
[close]
I just don’t fuck with bikes
[close]

But, if you actually watched it, you'd realise that it isn't about bikes at all. It's about Sad Plants and mental health.

That's a bit like turning Star Wars off on the opening crawl because you don't like reading.
Or turning off Star Wars because I don’t resonate with a weird future where only 2 black people exist

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

peacepappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -97
  • tae-tae
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2020, 11:37:44 PM »
Everybody should watch this.

Shoutout to everyone involved. <3
ohyeahohyeah

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2244
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2020, 11:34:50 AM »
Great to see this kind of thing being discussed more often. The video was really well done. Rattray really is a gift to skateboarding amongst all the braindead dolts out there with nothing interesting to add besides the physical act of skateboarding.

Not to sound trivial in comparison to the subject matter of the video, but I feel like Rattray would be a great host for a regular web series. Would love watching him in a similar format to McCrank's shows.

Starm

• Rep: -1
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2020, 11:46:05 AM »

Copped the shaped deck this morning, hell yeah!
Thinking about getting it too, hows the shape?

cant stop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • It's all about tricks.
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2020, 01:25:33 PM »
That was a lot of sick ass sad plants.
You know what sucks? I always rip my pants when Im having a good time! - The Gonz

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2020, 08:08:01 PM »
Expand Quote

Copped the shaped deck this morning, hell yeah!
[close]
Thinking about getting it too, hows the shape?

I really want this board. Anyone know of an online shop that carries them or a shop in Cali I can call about this?

I saw this and sent it to my homies. Suicide and depression are heavy. It doesn’t help that life can get busy and we got caught up on our own heads and don’t take time to self-care or look out for friends. But seek help and don’t be afraid to reach out to friends or family. If you can’t feel free to DM me.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2020, 09:43:53 PM »
maybe this is kind of nit picky. but does the name of the project seem to anyone else as being somewhat off key?

1) if you were to ask someone this question, why so sad?, word for word, doesn't it sound as if calling into question the legitimacy of someone's sadness?

2) too reminiscent of that whole "why so serious?" joker line i used to see everywhere.

Harrison's Fjord

• Rep: 7
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2020, 06:50:23 AM »
maybe this is kind of nit picky. but does the name of the project seem to anyone else as being somewhat off key?

1) if you were to ask someone this question, why so sad?, word for word, doesn't it sound as if calling into question the legitimacy of someone's sadness?

2) too reminiscent of that whole "why so serious?" joker line i used to see everywhere.

I see what you're saying, but the name adds a bit of levity. Also, the bit about it being helpful to understand some of the causes of depressions fits with the title, where the question is read as, 'why am I so sad?'

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2020, 09:45:03 AM »

I think he said the reason for the title is because its the shortest way to phrase an obviously complex issue. I agree that it could come off a little condescending but I think from a genuine standpoint its a pretty valid question.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2020, 09:59:04 AM »

i get what you're saying, but i think it's a pretty common reaction. it's literally what my mom said to me when i told her i had been going to therapy for depression

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me