Author Topic: What are your solo sessions like?  (Read 3279 times)

Esmith5488

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
Re: What are your solo sessions like?
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2020, 06:21:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Now I have given up hope on them skating anymore and usually just focus on relearning or perfecting one trick. For example one day might be an "impossibles day" and I will just work on impossibles the whole session either

Also always have to end a session landing something that feels good. Sometimes the most frustrating part is trying something over and over again until it feels real nice so I can go home.
[close]

Jesus this hits so close to home. The guys I grew up skating with keep talking about coming back but of the 5 of them only 1 of them has made a consistent effort to come out to skate with me.  I like the company from time to time; sometimes you need a homie to push you or make you try tricks outside your comfort zone.  He and I are the kind of people who thrive on competition, so a game of SKATE on the ledge leads to us trying new tricks.

My solo sessions are pretty similar to OP.  I tried skating with wireless earbuds but found it too distracting.  I created a note in my phone of the stuff I want to try (mostly ledge tricks) but I end up getting obsessed getting 1 trick done right.  Recently it's been BS Tailslides and end up spending close to 70% of my session working on them while neglecting the rest of my list.  That's probably who I like sessions early (7-10am) when the park is empty and I can completely zone out and work on 1 trick without having to wait my turn. 

It probably speaks to me more as a pretty reserved and neurotic person who gets intensely focused on 1 task or thing and plunging head first into it.  I actually enjoy the solitude and slowly chipping away at a trick, instead of having to make conversation with friends during the session.

As I get older I feel like I don't need a huge list of tricks, just a short but reliable list that I can do really well.  Unfortunately that list is way too short and I can't even do those well.
[close]

Too real. I love the idea of riding around the city and doing little tailslides and fiftys on planters as I cruise by and popping casual tres over manhole covers and grates. Then I go out and it doesnt happen like that.

As far as skating with airpods goes, I made a playlist of my favorite songs from skate parts. A lot of Yeah Right! tracks, and it puts me in the zone as I cruise. Can't have the noise cancel on though or its like skating underwater.
A lot of my playlist is comprised of skate video songs

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2020, 06:15:36 AM »
  If you take someone to an empty park you get half a park.  If you go by yourself you get a whole skatepark plus and uninterupted session.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2020, 05:47:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Now I have given up hope on them skating anymore and usually just focus on relearning or perfecting one trick. For example one day might be an "impossibles day" and I will just work on impossibles the whole session either

Also always have to end a session landing something that feels good. Sometimes the most frustrating part is trying something over and over again until it feels real nice so I can go home.
[close]

Jesus this hits so close to home. The guys I grew up skating with keep talking about coming back but of the 5 of them only 1 of them has made a consistent effort to come out to skate with me.  I like the company from time to time; sometimes you need a homie to push you or make you try tricks outside your comfort zone.  He and I are the kind of people who thrive on competition, so a game of SKATE on the ledge leads to us trying new tricks.

My solo sessions are pretty similar to OP.  I tried skating with wireless earbuds but found it too distracting.  I created a note in my phone of the stuff I want to try (mostly ledge tricks) but I end up getting obsessed getting 1 trick done right.  Recently it's been BS Tailslides and end up spending close to 70% of my session working on them while neglecting the rest of my list.  That's probably who I like sessions early (7-10am) when the park is empty and I can completely zone out and work on 1 trick without having to wait my turn. 

It probably speaks to me more as a pretty reserved and neurotic person who gets intensely focused on 1 task or thing and plunging head first into it.  I actually enjoy the solitude and slowly chipping away at a trick, instead of having to make conversation with friends during the session.

As I get older I feel like I don't need a huge list of tricks, just a short but reliable list that I can do really well.  Unfortunately that list is way too short and I can't even do those well.
[close]

Too real. I love the idea of riding around the city and doing little tailslides and fiftys on planters as I cruise by and popping casual tres over manhole covers and grates. Then I go out and it doesnt happen like that.

As far as skating with airpods goes, I made a playlist of my favorite songs from skate parts. A lot of Yeah Right! tracks, and it puts me in the zone as I cruise. Can't have the noise cancel on though or its like skating underwater.
[close]
A lot of my playlist is comprised of skate video songs

I usually have Well Off G's by Well and TK on repeat, interspaced with Baker Baker Baker
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2020, 08:11:30 PM »
These days most my sessions are solo sessions. Nothing like the old days. It gets sad sometimes, usually i just throw some music in, cruise around, do tricks i know are fun and i can land, then ill try something new, end up getting frustrated and go back to what i know so i can leave on a high note.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

Escape Hell

• Rep: 26
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2020, 06:55:44 AM »
All my sessions are solo. Nice slick parking block. Frustrating at times, because I want to be better until I remember how good it feels just to be on the board period. Especially now in the colder weather rarely anyone is out. Takes me away from everything. Ollies, heelflips, FS180s just freedom.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2020, 10:26:05 AM »
All my sessions are solo. Nice slick parking block. Frustrating at times, because I want to be better until I remember how good it feels just to be on the board period. Especially now in the colder weather rarely anyone is out. Takes me away from everything. Ollies, heelflips, FS180s just freedom.

so true man. the simple things mostly feel the best.
IG: @flowterspace

UPPERCASEnocap

• Rep: 3
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2020, 11:49:14 AM »
At this point in my life 95% of my sessions are solo. Ive also noticed how these sessions have changed as I got older.

I used to sometimes prop up a phone or something and try and film something cool to send to my friends. Something I was proud of and something that would hopefully make them want to come out and skate.

Now I have given up hope on them skating anymore and usually just focus on relearning or perfecting one trick. For example one day might be an "impossibles day" and I will just work on impossibles the whole session either relearning them until I can get them kind of consistent or if I already am doing them kind of well trying to work them into lines, pop them higher or faster.

Over the weekend I just had a front 180 session and just went as fast as I could trying to do them as clean and high as I could. Messing with the rotation speed (doing them slow or late and fast) and trying to see how quick I could set up for different tricks immediately after (Suciu inspired). The most fun.

What are your solo sessions like?

Yo, I just needed to take a moment to show you some love on both your avatar pic and your signature picture. oh and my solo sessions are about the same and my favorite. but thats beside the point here.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2020, 05:14:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

so true man. the simple things mostly feel the best.

90% of my session can be shit but if I land 1 proper kickflip that just makes it better.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2020, 09:04:28 AM »

Spend all day at work wanting to skate, think of all the tricks you want to do, try, land, etc. Imagine the feeling of landing them bolts and shit.

Go home, try to warm up but it's like 15f outside and you can barely pop a fucking Ollie

Focus your deck cause fucking spent all day wanting to skate but you just suck, got no board control and everything feels wack

Go to sleep. Repeat