Author Topic: Anybody seen the current Black Flag live?  (Read 1267 times)

Escape Hell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 26
Anybody seen the current Black Flag live?
« on: January 17, 2020, 03:30:23 AM »
Got an email that black flag was coming to my area in a few weeks and was contemplating going. I know Mike V is on vox along with Ginn on guitar. Would have rather seen FLAG, but I’m curious. Seen some vids of them performing that seemed eh...

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
Re: Anybody seen the current Black Flag live?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 12:07:12 PM »
Just strange to me that Vallely actually morphed into his old idol. I have not heard good things about this

Escape Hell

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 12:13:41 PM »
Just strange to me that Vallely actually morphed into his old idol. I have not heard good things about this

I know there was bad blood between ginn and the FLAG crew. Came to some court bullshit too.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 10:45:53 PM »
It seems that people are kinda into this version but it's a hard pass for me. Basically the Greg Ginn show with a bunch of younger hired hands. I don't even fault Mike V for playing them but I can't think of a bigger cash-in. Just watch this instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6uujf0csGA
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Escape Hell

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 05:24:47 AM »
It seems that people are kinda into this version but it's a hard pass for me. Basically the Greg Ginn show with a bunch of younger hired hands. I don't even fault Mike V for playing them but I can't think of a bigger cash-in. Just watch this instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6uujf0csGA
Yeah that’s what I was thinking...

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 06:40:39 AM »
Mike V is the skate equivalent to Henry Rollins cop friendly and a hasbeen.  You know the old saying when a band is struggling to keep their image they get a new singer who fits the bill but just doesn't do the band justice that's how I feel about Rollins era of Black Flag.
Dueces Bitch's

Escape Hell

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 11:47:26 AM »
As good as Damaged was I always seen Rollins as a try hard. I enjoy his books but even those get redundant to an extent. It’s embarrassing how much Mike bit his style throughout the years. There were a few good tunes in the Rollins era (Mostly My War era) but even those fall a bit flat. Chuck Dukowski really was the heartbeat of Black Flag in my opinion.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 02:55:44 PM »
As good as Damaged was I always seen Rollins as a try hard. I enjoy his books but even those get redundant to an extent. It’s embarrassing how much Mike bit his style throughout the years. There were a few good tunes in the Rollins era (Mostly My War era) but even those fall a bit flat. Chuck Dukowski really was the heartbeat of Black Flag in my opinion.
I find there’s something slightly overrated and meatheaded like Hatebreed or some other tough guy metal/hardcore.
Dueces Bitch's

computerdate

• Rep: 18
  • I hope they keep down the price of gas
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 12:52:38 AM »
I was able to see them for free, so I say this with humility: it wasn’t great.

Mike V. sounds fine, the band plays competently, they give as much energy as can be expected. But the “vibe” was off. Idk, I think Greg Ginn is unironically insane and he’s not the greatest person from what I’ve heard (he’s never paid any bands on SST any royalties, among other things.) so it’s kind of hard to separate that from your perception of the band, especially when you’re essentially watching Ginn and a few hired guys. Maybe that’s unfair of me but it doesn’t really feel like you’re seeing a legendary punk rock band. FLAG is the real band to see, I think Ginn tried to sue them to prevent them from performing. If you compare live footage of both bands you’ll see the difference
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:55:19 AM by computerdate »

Escape Hell

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 03:07:07 AM »
I was able to see them for free, so I say this with humility: it wasn’t great.

Mike V. sounds fine, the band plays competently, they give as much energy as can be expected. But the “vibe” was off. Idk, I think Greg Ginn is unironically insane and he’s not the greatest person from what I’ve heard (he’s never paid any bands on SST any royalties, among other things.) so it’s kind of hard to separate that from your perception of the band, especially when you’re essentially watching Ginn and a few hired guys. Maybe that’s unfair of me but it doesn’t really feel like you’re seeing a legendary punk rock band. FLAG is the real band to see, I think Ginn tried to sue them to prevent them from performing. If you compare live footage of both bands you’ll see the difference
Indeed. Keith is fucking legendary and still doing his thing with OFF! Plus you have half of descendents, Dez and the Duke on bass. Wish they toured more. Thanks for insight, I figured it would be a weird vibe. Still might go just out of dumb curiosity.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 05:43:37 AM »

Have you listened to Henry's podcast, Henry & Heidi? He's lightened up quite a bit in his old age and is much more enjoyable to listen to imo. I'm a fan of Rollins and think the My War era was their best, but I somewhat recently tried listening to Get In The Van on tape and it had way too much testosterone lol.

Also, FLAG > current Black Flag, by far.

Escape Hell

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 06:01:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have you listened to Henry's podcast, Henry & Heidi? He's lightened up quite a bit in his old age and is much more enjoyable to listen to imo. I'm a fan of Rollins and think the My War era was their best, but I somewhat recently tried listening to Get In The Van on tape and it had way too much testosterone lol.

I have. I think it’s funny that Rollins mellowed out and Mike V mellowed out. I read get in the van almost 20 years ago and I enjoyed it, it was dark and testosterone filled yes, but I felt it was a piece of punk history. Respect to Rollins even tho most of his catalogue is not too great. Definitely enjoy him more in his mellow humble stage.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 06:04:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I have. I think it’s funny that Rollins mellowed out and Mike V mellowed out. I read get in the van almost 20 years ago and I enjoyed it, it was dark and testosterone filled yes, but I felt it was a piece of punk history. Respect to Rollins even tho most of his catalogue is not too great. Definitely enjoy him more in his mellow humble stage.

oh yeah, the book is great. I had just never listened to Henry actually reading it and it was very very aggro, haha.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 07:58:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been saying it for a while but current Hank is pretty great. He had a radio show on KCRW at one point and it was not only good music wise but he was a fun and engaging host. He's also written for the LA Weekly and other mags in the past decade and all of that stuff has been good too. I think he works better as a music nerd than out there still trying to do the damn thing.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 03:25:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know there was bad blood between ginn and the FLAG crew. Came to some court bullshit too.

keith and dez won.

I like mike. If its not more than 20 id go

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Benchpress

• Rep: 9
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 01:37:05 AM »
Whilst I haven't seen them with Mike V, I saw them a few years back with Ron Reyes as the frontman. It was so dissapointing. Pretty much worshipping Kira and Stevenson it was almost upsetting to see. Greg Ginn, although an incredible guitarist was playing a theramin, and whole band was off time. Go see FLAG.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2020, 07:47:20 AM »
Go see Andrew Cannon's band.

I wish i could remember the name. They fucking rip live
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)