Author Topic: Independent are still the best (change my mind)  (Read 8436 times)

Saarinotsorry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -78
Independent are still the best (change my mind)
« on: January 18, 2020, 12:29:27 AM »
Okay. So my madness catalogue consists of theeve, indy, venture hi and thunder team hollows. All are great performing trucks with individual highlights but personally Indy standard 139’s just feel so damn good for a all terrain truck. I always freak out and switch i always go back to indy

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
Re: Independent are still the best (change my mind)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 01:00:26 AM »
From a physics perspective, indys suck. They are bricks.
Less weight = easier everything.

Someone should make a test where they have X amount of setups, all with equal WB and tail/nose angle.
Its the only way to leave out stuff like different leverage and turning radious duo to the trucks different WB.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 01:05:32 AM by Vintagebody »

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 01:42:53 AM »
To me 139 standards don't say atv; they say I skate street, ride an 8, and don't care about height or weight. Or I was broke and didn't wanna get Venture cast.
Thunders turn too thundery so they're out. Theeve and Film cost more than Indy.. Ace? Ace's issues have issues. Interested to see the new stuff though. Tensor? Price and the name? The name more than the price..

I think 144-149 would be atv range. 159 if you're a big boy.

Yeah. Lighter should be better for just about everything. But lately I've been thinking maybe heavier would be better for slappies. Maybe crusty ledges/hubba's too, just for the extra momentum. Can't think of any other reason. Og steez? More exercise?

Would be an interesting experiment. Might be tough to match angles, even just the tail, without redrilling. Playing around with how steep the kick is and where it starts (fingers of flat) would change the feel too.
Degros x Prof? Oh, free vid idea for ya buddy

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 02:03:02 AM »
Honestly, its about time someone revolutionize trucks.
Thunders are stupidly designed. The baseplate doesnt distribute pressure evenly, and is easly banged up to the point where it can protrude into the board. This cause more pressure cracks, and a weak point in the board.

Really, the only brand that seems to try anything is Tensor. So my next truck will be Tensors ATG

Shuh

• Rep: 3
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 02:12:14 AM »
If any of you wishing that your thunders are higher, just take out the stock bottom bushings on those thunders in put aftermarket connical bushing from independent.

If you want to make it exactly indy standards high, add another small washer in the bottom washer in addition to the indy connical bushings.

darkelfdruid

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 02:41:43 AM »
Flowerpower sucks

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 02:55:39 AM »
Honestly, its about time someone revolutionize trucks.
Thunders are stupidly designed
. The baseplate doesnt distribute pressure evenly, and is easly banged up to the point where it can protrude into the board. This cause more pressure cracks, and a weak point in the board.

Really, the only brand that seems to try anything is Tensor. So my next truck will be Tensors ATG
- Well, you for those Avenue trucks.
- Smart choice, you'll have a great time.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 03:11:38 AM »
If any of you wishing that your thunders are higher, just take out the stock bottom bushings on those thunders in put aftermarket connical bushing from independent.

If you want to make it exactly indy standards high, add another small washer in the bottom washer in addition to the indy connical bushings.

Not trying to be a dick, but none of that washes. Thunder bottom bushings are taller than Indy's. So your first piece of advice, it's just going to make the Thunder sit lower. Adding a washer under an Indy bushing would make it... normal Thunder height. If you want taller Thunders, use a riser.

Unless you're talking Thunder lows. In which case you'd be throwing the geometry off hard enough to start stressing things like the kingpin. Not a good idea.

Someone should make a test where they have X amount of setups, all with equal WB and tail/nose angle.
Its the only way to leave out stuff like different leverage and turning radious duo to the trucks different WB.

The difference between standard cast versions of Indy, Ace, Thunder, and Venture isn't that drastic, within 15-20g of one another. If you start adding forged plates and hollow steel, then you have some actual weight differences. Perceived weight due to wheelbase lengthening however is a thing to consider.

Went over that in one of the 9 truck threads going on, if you wanted to have that level of control over testing situations, where you can tailor different decks to feel the exact same with different truck brands, you're going to be ordering custom one-offs per set up, with different molds for each one.

Also, seriously, there's way too many truck threads happening simultaneously right now.

Shuh

• Rep: 3
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 03:25:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not trying to be a dick, but none of that washes. Thunder bottom bushings are taller than Indy's. So your first piece of advice, it's just going to make the Thunder sit lower. Adding a washer under an Indy bushing would make it... normal Thunder height. If you want taller Thunders, use a riser.

I dunno what at to tell you, my stock thunder team 148 bottom bushings are shorter then my aftermarket indy connical bushings. Anyone wanna chime in go ahead but I will double check just too make sure.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 03:35:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I dunno what at to tell you, my stock thunder team 148 bottom bushings are shorter then my aftermarket indy connical bushings. Anyone wanna chime in go ahead but I will double check just too make sure.

Indy aftermarket on the left, standard Thunder high on the right,

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 04:59:24 AM »
Yeah, I can't shake indys.  Have ridden standards all my life and i'm about to go the Titaniums when they wear through. Thunders were fun but couldn't stick with em.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 04:59:45 AM »
Okay. So my madness catalogue consists of theeve, indy, venture hi and thunder team hollows. All are great performing trucks with individual highlights but personally Indy standard 139’s just feel so damn good for a all terrain truck. I always freak out and switch i always go back to indy

sounds like you're already set on indys, why change your mind?

Diocletian

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 05:52:49 AM »
Theeve’s. Better turn than Indy and more stable on center. Oval yoke turns the wheels inward and at 210lbs I cannot wheelbite them for the life of me running them loose as hell. They’re like a more refined Ace truck and have top notch quality control.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 05:56:39 AM »
Theeve’s. Better turn than Indy and more stable on center. Oval yoke turns the wheels inward and at 210lbs I cannot wheelbite them for the life of me running them loose as hell. They’re like a more refined Ace truck and have top notch quality control.

Has anyone reported the loose kingpins in theeves lately?  I seem to be the only person that had that problem and thats the only reason i stopped skating them.  otherwise they were the best trucks

Diocletian

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 06:15:57 AM »
I haven’t had the issue but I haven’t had them that long. I read a lot of reviews prior to buying them and you were the only one I came across that had loose kingpins. Maybe just had bad luck? I’d say try em again, these trucks really are “all u need”.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2020, 06:47:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Has anyone reported the loose kingpins in theeves lately?  I seem to be the only person that had that problem and thats the only reason i stopped skating them.  otherwise they were the best trucks

Stopped skating theeve for that reason. loose kingpins four times in a month. I said no thanks to more replacement baseblates and got my money back.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2020, 07:43:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Unless you're talking Thunder lows. In which case you'd be throwing the geometry off hard enough to start stressing things like the kingpin. Not a good idea.

Expand Quote

[close]

The difference between standard cast versions of Indy, Ace, Thunder, and Venture isn't that drastic, within 15-20g of one another. If you start adding forged plates and hollow steel, then you have some actual weight differences. Perceived weight due to wheelbase lengthening however is a thing to consider.

Went over that in one of the 9 truck threads going on, if you wanted to have that level of control over testing situations, where you can tailor different decks to feel the exact same with different truck brands, you're going to be ordering custom one-offs per set up, with different molds for each one.

Also, seriously, there's way too many truck threads happening simultaneously right now.

Geometry matters way more than weight, too.

sadnocomply

• Rep: 129
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2020, 08:54:13 AM »
Venture & Indy are the only trucks that matter. Fuck the rest hehe. Indy when you get hesh, venture gettin tech, it’s a no brainer

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2020, 09:57:38 AM »
For me Indy's a re a nice compromise between Thunder and Ace with the benefit of a bit more height clearance. I have no problem with them, I'd just rather use Thunder and Ace. We'll see what Stage 12 brings...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2020, 10:19:56 AM »
Indys are the jack of all trades master of none, except being heavy as fuck and slow to adapt (late at hollow, late at TI, not that you need that shit).

They are also the truck by which all others are modeled after and judged.

I'd still pick Theeve over Indy every time (never had loose kingpin issues....or bones bulge issues from way back).

Tensor ATGs are my go to now, taking over my Thunder needs with Theeve filling in for Indy/Ace (still run some ACE tho). ATGs are just so fucking good at everything.

Diocletian

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2020, 12:54:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Stopped skating theeve for that reason. loose kingpins four times in a month. I said no thanks to more replacement baseblates and got my money back.

Was this happening with V3’s for you?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 851
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2020, 01:31:23 PM »
I know its not a realistic replacement for most people, but for me the "best" trucks I've skated are the Theeve Ti-Hangers. They're super light (not as light as mag-lights though), have what I would consider to be an ideal height, and are both very stable on center and turn very sharply. They obviously put a shit ton of engineering into them and the outcome is pretty awesome in my opinion. That would be my choice if for some reason I had to choose only one type of truck to ride for the rest of my life. 

At any rate, "best" is subjective. Indys are good trucks. So are Ventures. So are Thunders. So are Theeves, Tensors, and Destructos. Which one you like the most will be determined by your setup, how you skate, and your general preferences. So if what you want is a versatile "jack of all trades" type truck as Xen noted, then Indys are probably going to be your jam, or maybe Thunder. If you value light weight over all else then you're going to think Tensors are the best. If you're cheap and like low trucks then boom, mini-logo. It's all personal preference.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2020, 01:40:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It's got to be bad luck (if they were sending you replacement plates, assume they were all coming from the same 'stock' right? Surely they weren't disassembling trucks to send out plates to people; bad batches maybe? That shit seems to happen to all of them that don't come out of SF (and even they aren't perfect).

Was this also back in the ti pin days?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1198
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2020, 04:28:46 PM »
I see everyone’s sleeping on the new Grind Kings with the sparklers.

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2020, 05:00:13 PM »
For me there's a tier to follow and it goes like this  Thunders for rail chomping and ledge grinds, Indy's & Ace's for vert and hesh gnar dog fuckery, Venture for tech manual tricks.

I like my Indy's and Ace's because I go through phases of skating different big dog shit but sometimes I switch it up with Thunders and Ventures the wider wheelbase on them gives a great manual counter balance only thing I am not hyped on for those trucks is slides and wheelbite they aren't as responsive to turning like Indy's and Ace's but they've got other great qualities. Ace and Indy have a centered wheelbase shorten the wheelbase up a bit and killer carving almost like a wave and I stand by this.

Alll in all Indy's and Ace's are my go to the rest have their place, different tools for for different spots.
Dueces Bitch's

Diocletian

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2020, 06:54:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's got to be bad luck (if they were sending you replacement plates, assume they were all coming from the same 'stock' right? Surely they weren't disassembling trucks to send out plates to people; bad batches maybe? That shit seems to happen to all of them that don't come out of SF (and even they aren't perfect).

Was this also back in the ti pin days?

Yeah, it seems like factory changes or improving quality control isn’t uncommon (except Ace). These Theeve’s I have might be a fresh batch, as I noticed they switched the “TiAX” on the hanger to the right side and flipped it so you see it normal, as opposed to being on the left side and upside down. I haven’t seen any photo of them being this way besides a recent IG post of theirs, of that Spencer Nuzzi kid’s set-up who they’ve been hooking up trucks so he’ll hype them up. This could mean nothing, or it could be in combination with a better alloy. They have that softer ace look to them, but not as grainy and still feel very solid at the same time.

I feel like Thunders looked cleaner after 148’s came out. China Indy’s seem improved, then companies like Tensor with the ATG’s seem higher quality compared to old ones or their cheap alloy model.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2020, 07:04:19 PM »
After an entire year of buying every truck under the sun, I wasted all that money and time just to realise nothing beats the 159's. Ace have their uses though, depends what kind of WB the deck I have is. 14.25 with 159s is ideal, 14.5 with Ace is good too.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2020, 07:27:48 PM »
After an entire year of buying every truck under the sun, I wasted all that money and time just to realise nothing beats the 159's. Ace have their uses though, depends what kind of WB the deck I have is. 14.25 with 159s is ideal, 14.5 with Ace is good too.

If ACE get's their fucking QC shit together this spring I'll stick with them, best height best turn, good stabilty. Fucking terribad QC for the most part (I've only had one early set bend); fingers crossed for their forged hollow entry!

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2020, 07:43:14 PM »
For me there's a tier to follow and it goes like this  Thunders for rail chomping and ledge grinds, Indy's & Ace's for vert and hesh gnar dog fuckery, Venture for tech manual tricks.

I like my Indy's and Ace's because I go through phases of skating different big dog shit but sometimes I switch it up with Thunders and Ventures the wider wheelbase on them gives a great manual counter balance only thing I am not hyped on for those trucks is slides and wheelbite they aren't as responsive to turning like Indy's and Ace's but they've got other great qualities. Ace and Indy have a centered wheelbase shorten the wheelbase up a bit and killer carving almost like a wave and I stand by this.

Alll in all Indy's and Ace's are my go to the rest have their place, different tools for for different spots.

i got my venture hi turning nice as hell yesterday. I they  turn sharper than my Indys now but dont wheel bite as hard.

I tested the ventures against the ace. It was a closer in turn and they were both on a 14.5? wb.

I think its because i put a bones med top on them and ran stock barrels.

The turn is less when carving back and forth. The venture doesn't respond smooth to quick direction change like Indy ace and thunders.

Also i feel the ace has the best manny point out of these trucks.

But yeah all those marketing profiles are true. I look at it more like this.

Theres no skate Nazis riding fucking ventures. most likely none getting boxes from thunder either.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2020, 09:23:55 PM »
I think the only thing that oval hanger hole does on theeves is to leave an oval dirty spot on the bushings.  Which is actually quite nice to keep them oriented the same way after you take em apart and put em back together