SaySo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
Re: Japan
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2022, 10:16:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m surprised SLAP doesn’t have a separate section for local scenes all over the world. Im not sure it really first with ‘travel’ tho.

So I’m thinking of making a separate thread not for travel, but to share info for skaters living in Japan and to talk about life and skating here. There seems to be a few of us.

Or we can just congregate here.

Anyone interested?

For example, it looks like the best music festival in Japan, Hashi no Shita will be finally held again this September after a 3-year hiatus. Has anyone else been to it?
[close]

@cucktard  In your opinion, where would the thread best be nested? "UWTB"? "Whatever"?

As an alternative to here, we could just start a LINE chat group or something?

I haven't been to 橋の下. This is actually the first I've heard of it. To be Frank (instead of my given name), I'm not really one for multi-day music fests at this point though.

What kinds acts are usually booked there?
[close]
Or both.
But @cucktard that's actually a pretty good idea.

@cucktard and @jive turkey  well then, let's do dis like a proverbial Buddhist.

南無阿弥陀仏
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2022, 10:44:04 PM »
Like a 三日坊主?

I personally find the SLAP messagebloard format better for group chats, but I’m good for a LINE group too.

Oh, and for those of you who haven’t heard of Hashi no Shita, it’s a 3-day music festival in Toyota city, Aichi. It literally takes place under a bridge, with all the connotations that brings (burakumin, social outcasts, etc).

It started as a small punk gig, but is now a kind of Burning Man-ish event. Punk and subculture meets traditional matsuri culture. It’s headed by the hardcore-cum-traditional folk music band Turtle Island.

It pretty much is the perfect blend of DIY punk and traditional festival culture. The participants knock together a little old-Edo Main Street with bars, shops, and stages under the bridge, and you can see everything from chonmage haircuts to Mohawks, listen to hip-hop and ching dong. There are a bunch of videos in YouTube if you search 橋の下 or ソールビートアシア. 

It is pretty much the best thing I’ve been to here in the 15 years I’ve spent here.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

SaySo

« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2022, 10:48:45 PM »
Like a 三日坊主?

I personally find the SLAP messagebloard format better for group chats, but I’m good for a LINE group too.

Oh, and for those of you who haven’t heard of Hashi no Shita, it’s a 3-day music festival in Toyota city, Aichi. It literally takes place under a bridge, with all the connotations that brings (burakumin, social outcasts, etc).

It started as a small punk gig, but is now a kind of Burning Man-ish event. Punk and subculture meets traditional matsuri culture. It’s headed by the hardcore-cum-traditional folk music band Turtle Island.

It pretty much is the perfect blend of DIY punk and traditional festival culture. The participants knock together a little old-Edo Main Street with bars, shops, and stages under the bridge, and you can see everything from chonmage haircuts to Mohawks, listen to hip-hop and ching dong. There are a bunch of videos in YouTube if you search 橋の下 or ソールビートアシア. 

It is pretty much the best thing I’ve been to here in the 15 years I’ve spent here.

That sounds rad @cucktard!

I do dig me some 祭り文化。And since they've been de facto banned over the past 2.5 years, might be a good way to restart the cycle.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

SaySo

« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2022, 10:58:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m surprised SLAP doesn’t have a separate section for local scenes all over the world. Im not sure it really first with ‘travel’ tho.

So I’m thinking of making a separate thread not for travel, but to share info for skaters living in Japan and to talk about life and skating here. There seems to be a few of us.

Anyone interested?

For example, it looks like the best music festival in Japan, Hashi no Shita will be finally held again this September after a 3-year hiatus. Has anyone else been to it?
[close]

@cucktard  In your opinion, where would the thread best be nested? "UWTB"? "Whatever"?

I haven't been to 橋の下. This is actually the first I've heard of it. To be Frank (instead of my given name), I'm not really one for multi-day music fests at this point though.

[close]
Or both.
[close]

南無阿弥陀仏

@ Gray Imp @Slapasonic

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2022, 11:09:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Like a 三日坊主?

[close]

I do dig me some 祭り文化。And since they've been de facto banned over the past 2.5 years, might be a good way to restart the cycle.

Here are some glimpses of it

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2Nh-fKFd-q/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2K2yOGg-zb/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjb-fFinTFy/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

SaySo

« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2022, 11:18:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Like a 三日坊主?

[close]

[close]

Here are some glimpses of it

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2Nh-fKFd-q/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2K2yOGg-zb/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjb-fFinTFy/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

That looks dope! I might have to un-retire my old man self.

SaySo

« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2022, 12:18:52 AM »
Like a 三日坊主?

免税の三日坊主似てる。笑

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2022, 02:28:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Anyone interested?

[close]

[close]
Or both.
[close]

南無阿弥陀仏
[close]

@ Gray Imp @Slapasonic
bring it! Even though I’m injured/ in hiding …
@cucktard are turtle island playing again this year? I really need to see them live at least once…

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2022, 03:10:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Anyone interested?

[close]

[close]
Or both.
[close]

南無阿弥陀仏
[close]

@ Gray Imp @Slapasonic
[close]
bring it! Even though I’m injured/ in hiding …
@cucktard are turtle island playing again this year? I really need to see them live at least once…

There is a 100% chance they will play at Hashi no Shita. They usually play twice, once on the Bon Odori stage and do a slower set, and once on the main stage, and do a faster set. They usually close out Sunday with one of those.

Take Sept 2-4th off and bring the fam!

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2022, 09:51:21 PM »
Hey boys, I’m now officially jobless so incredibly free for whatever is in the haps, especially skating!

santamadonna

• Rep: 0
« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2022, 09:58:15 PM »
Anybody down to skate in Tokyo?
Im near shinjuku until thursday and then a couple days next week

steezenking

• Rep: 12
« Reply #131 on: August 16, 2022, 11:33:23 AM »
Heres the deal, anyone want to mail me some of those prepackaged pancakes from 7-11? I legit ate those for breakfast like 5 times a week when I lived there. So amazingly tasty. I'll paypal like 100$, stuff as many that can fit into a box, send em my way.

steezenking

« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2022, 06:58:34 AM »

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2022, 10:48:44 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-63003802

Japan reopening for tourists

i'm stoked. but all the good cheap places i used to stay went out of business in the last 2 years.. i doubt i'll ever find a replacement for my tokyo hostel. that place felt like home and the staff like family.

hope i can do a trip again next year. but gonna be a pain figuring it all out from scratch again.

iwishicouldssbts

• Rep: 2
« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2022, 08:44:20 AM »
Yo, I'm new here and this is my first post. I finally bought tickets to Tokyo for May 2023 and will be staying there for a few weeks! I still need to get a hotel/Airbnb and was wondering if anyone here knew where the best area would be to stay in, in terms of convenience to easily get around/explore/skate. I'm always looking on Instagram for skate spots and parks there so I have a rough idea of what the skate scene looks like. But all in all, does anyone here have any tips? Like things to look out for, be aware of, places to eat, good warm-up spots, best skate shops, etc. As of right now, I'm learning some Japanese so I won't be completely useless while I'm there lol.

disclosed

« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2022, 11:43:59 AM »
Yo, I'm new here and this is my first post. I finally bought tickets to Tokyo for May 2023 and will be staying there for a few weeks! I still need to get a hotel/Airbnb and was wondering if anyone here knew where the best area would be to stay in, in terms of convenience to easily get around/explore/skate. I'm always looking on Instagram for skate spots and parks there so I have a rough idea of what the skate scene looks like. But all in all, does anyone here have any tips? Like things to look out for, be aware of, places to eat, good warm-up spots, best skate shops, etc. As of right now, I'm learning some Japanese so I won't be completely useless while I'm there lol.

personally i think west of Tokyo is the place to be. preferably a place along the Chuo line is the best area. i allways stay in Koenji. try not to be too far from Shinjuku where you can transfer to all the other lines when you going anywhere.
theres also quite some fun spots between Koenji and Asagaya, but you'll get kicked out.
if you go more out west along the chuo line youll have a couple easy to reach skateparks. (Koganei, Misashino (might be closed), tachikawa. Ramphouse (will need to transfer))
for some reason most of the skateparks more north of tokyo are horrible to reach by public transport.
a lot of cool street spots are around the harbour area but it not where you wanna be staying. and its not hard to go there for day trips.
best skate shop i'd say the Instant in Kichijoji. personally a big fan of Golden Age in Harajuku, but thats shaped board territory. i allways see people love Mortar, but that place just gives me fasion boutique vibes. but that might just be me.

but i'd love to see some actual locals prove me wrong on all that i've said.

on a side note. i'll be back in Tokyo in March myself! and a couple of days Osaka too. and maybe some more isolated places where friends live.

iwishicouldssbts

« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2022, 10:57:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

personally i think west of Tokyo is the place to be. preferably a place along the Chuo line is the best area. i allways stay in Koenji. try not to be too far from Shinjuku where you can transfer to all the other lines when you going anywhere.
theres also quite some fun spots between Koenji and Asagaya, but you'll get kicked out.
if you go more out west along the chuo line youll have a couple easy to reach skateparks. (Koganei, Misashino (might be closed), tachikawa. Ramphouse (will need to transfer))
for some reason most of the skateparks more north of tokyo are horrible to reach by public transport.
a lot of cool street spots are around the harbour area but it not where you wanna be staying. and its not hard to go there for day trips.
best skate shop i'd say the Instant in Kichijoji. personally a big fan of Golden Age in Harajuku, but thats shaped board territory. i allways see people love Mortar, but that place just gives me fasion boutique vibes. but that might just be me.

but i'd love to see some actual locals prove me wrong on all that i've said.

on a side note. i'll be back in Tokyo in March myself! and a couple of days Osaka too. and maybe some more isolated places where friends live.

Thanks for all the great info! I really appreciate it. Now I got a solid idea of where to book the place that I'm staying. I'm going to be traveling outside of Tokyo too. Going to take a bus/train and spend a night or two at either an Onsen town or a hotel at Lake Kawaguchi to relax since I'm probably going to be sore from skating a bunch lol. Either way, super hyped to experience the culture and the skate scene there.

noahch

• Rep: 0
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2022, 06:35:32 PM »
visiting tokyo from singapore next week and was curious since i haven't seen it mentioned, but anyone ever check out 'tamachi skate board space'/skatepark in Minato? I'm planning on checking out Komazawa as well, but Tamachi def. seems more up my alley, was just curious if its a good place to chill/skate w. others since i haven't seen it mentioned... thanks!

disclosed

« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2022, 10:36:52 AM »
visiting tokyo from singapore next week and was curious since i haven't seen it mentioned, but anyone ever check out 'tamachi skate board space'/skatepark in Minato? I'm planning on checking out Komazawa as well, but Tamachi def. seems more up my alley, was just curious if its a good place to chill/skate w. others since i haven't seen it mentioned... thanks!

all i know theyre anal about skateboarding outside the park, that includes just rolling. and that you have to sign up at some office building somewhere else to get entry to it. (i havn't been there so i dont know how strict they really are on enforcing this.)
both these things sadly arn't uncommon in Japan.
https://www.city.minato.tokyo.jp/shisetsu/jidoyuen/konan/04.html

remember when Nakano skatepark was still there and you had to sign up at the local shop to use it. every time i had to write my name and the adress i was staying and all other useless info. never really get the reasoning behind this. but man are japanese adresses a insanely long to write when you can't write in japanese.

i personally don't see much footage of Tamachi anymore lately so dont know if its still as populair. but always see people posting footage of Koganei park. its similiar i guess, its in a big normal park but at some isolated area with really smooth ground people put a bunch of home made curbs, rails and boxes to skate. so kinda the same objects as Tamachi but more diverse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW9OTMz3dWo

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #139 on: December 07, 2022, 01:51:03 AM »
A great part of Tokyo to hang in is Nakano. Tokyo is obviously insane and amazing and you’re going to have a great trip BUT since you have three weeks there I would also strongly recommend you grab a train ticket to the Kansai region and at least check out Osaka. It’s another mega city with tons of spots and incredible food but it’s a bit easier to skate there. Tokyo is almost too crazy for skating a lot of street, or at least it’s just a bit easier in Osaka. You could also check out Kyoto for a couple of days which borders Osaka and is the most beautiful city I’ve ever been to. Osaka’s only a couple hours from Tokyo on the Shinkansen.

Check out Fat Bros and FESN in Tokyo. If you make it to Osaka check out Shred (TBPR shop) and skate Triangle Park. In Kyoto there’s Lamp Skateshop, those are the best people. Have a fun trip! It will be a blast.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: December 07, 2022, 05:56:57 AM »
+1 for getting out of Tokyo

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2022, 08:43:44 PM »
I'm pumped and nervous. Just bought a ticket to Osaka for end of May. First time to Japan. Lol just realized I made this thread too a couple years ago.

disclosed

« Reply #142 on: December 10, 2022, 05:30:12 AM »
I'm pumped and nervous. Just bought a ticket to Osaka for end of May. First time to Japan. Lol just realized I made this thread too a couple years ago.

congrats! insane how much happened since you started this thread. worst timing ever, but its finally going to happen!
i wanna spend more time in Osaka, but i can never commit to focusing a trip there. great city. great spots.

iwishicouldssbts

« Reply #143 on: December 11, 2022, 11:14:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
A great part of Tokyo to hang in is Nakano. Tokyo is obviously insane and amazing and you’re going to have a great trip BUT since you have three weeks there I would also strongly recommend you grab a train ticket to the Kansai region and at least check out Osaka. It’s another mega city with tons of spots and incredible food but it’s a bit easier to skate there. Tokyo is almost too crazy for skating a lot of street, or at least it’s just a bit easier in Osaka. You could also check out Kyoto for a couple of days which borders Osaka and is the most beautiful city I’ve ever been to. Osaka’s only a couple hours from Tokyo on the Shinkansen.

Check out Fat Bros and FESN in Tokyo. If you make it to Osaka check out Shred (TBPR shop) and skate Triangle Park. In Kyoto there’s Lamp Skateshop, those are the best people. Have a fun trip! It will be a blast.

Thank you!! I'm going to look online for the train pass and see if I can add that into my itinerary/budget.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: December 11, 2022, 07:08:57 PM »
buy the JR rail pass and ABUSE!

steezenking

« Reply #145 on: January 03, 2023, 07:28:29 AM »

Komazawa was my "local" park and everyone was super cool. Obviously if you looked up photos its not exactly the best skatepark. And as I typed this I realize you've already taken your trip so I hope it was a good one lol.

disclosed

« Reply #146 on: January 03, 2023, 11:41:26 AM »
did the whole getting my proof of vaccination approved for my trip the other night.
man it was so annoying. doesnt help i'm an idiot either. but the site stopped working properly multiple times and had to start over again each time. wouln't accept the adress of accommodation either. couln't copy paste the info they needed either, every time only half the stuf i paste would show and i'd have to type out the rest by hand.
but i made it! my proof got accepted so that one less thing to worry about.

i've said it before, i will forever hate japanese adresses they're soo long! remember last time i had to write out the whole damn adress of my hostel each time i wanted to skate the local skatepark..

iwishicouldssbts

« Reply #147 on: January 06, 2023, 09:06:31 AM »
did the whole getting my proof of vaccination approved for my trip the other night.
man it was so annoying. doesnt help i'm an idiot either. but the site stopped working properly multiple times and had to start over again each time. wouln't accept the adress of accommodation either. couln't copy paste the info they needed either, every time only half the stuf i paste would show and i'd have to type out the rest by hand.

i've said it before, i will forever hate japanese adresses they're soo long! remember last time i had to write out the whole damn adress of my hostel each time i wanted to skate the local skatepark..

Same, just got all my documents accepted as well. I couldn't find a place to stay in the area you recommended, but I luckily got a place near Asakusa for relatively cheap, close to the train lines. Did some digging looking on google earth and youtube and found some cool street spots close by. I really do wanna branch outside of Tokyo and go to Osaka/Kyoto like Jones recommended, but I think I'm just gonna keep it simple and stay in Tokyo to not complicate things because of booking all of the accomodations/timing things/budget and stuff. I do still wanna go on a day trip outside of Tokyo and maybe hit up an onsen like Hakone or something.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #148 on: January 06, 2023, 10:20:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Same, just got all my documents accepted as well. I couldn't find a place to stay in the area you recommended, but I luckily got a place near Asakusa for relatively cheap, close to the train lines. Did some digging looking on google earth and youtube and found some cool street spots close by. I really do wanna branch outside of Tokyo and go to Osaka/Kyoto like Jones recommended, but I think I'm just gonna keep it simple and stay in Tokyo to not complicate things because of booking all of the accomodations/timing things/budget and stuff. I do still wanna go on a day trip outside of Tokyo and maybe hit up an onsen like Hakone or something.

When are y’all going, if i may ask?

Im planning on going 2 weeks in early may… trying to get all my ducks in a row early…

*to Tokyo
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 10:45:25 AM by whitemanjazz »
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

disclosed

« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2023, 11:28:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

oh nice you'll be staying near that endless bank spot. you've probably seen it, realy famous.
also near a little covered skatepark unde the highway if its still there.
and ofcourse all the harbour spots.
you're staying near the Chuo line that goes throught Asakusa?

@whitemanjazz
i'll be there in March
late April early May is a really good time to go. went once around that time and the weather was perfect all the time. any later than that and you'll be stuck in the humid ass summer thats not fun at all to skate in. definitly go if you can.