Author Topic: Japan  (Read 14840 times)

Jive Turkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
Re: Japan
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2020, 07:50:52 PM »
yo @jive! nice spots, thanks for sharing. I will be on the hunt for a nice slappy curb to replace my current spot haha

Nice not too far from each other - I'll be living in Asagaya. Would be down to meet up for a session sometime !
Ah nice. Asagaya and that whole area is cool.
I'll PM you my deets later.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2020, 10:51:11 PM »
Anyone know any other central spots in Tokyo like the one above? Somewhere you wont get kicked out regularly. I'm not a huge fan of parks, they are all kind of annoying to get to since I'm living near Ebisu (near Garden place). I used to skate the riverside of Asakusa and Ueno park when I lived out east, but that's far for a short skate session.
Man, I totally brain farted on this one.
It's not a chill spot at all but definitely worth checking out since it's in your hood.
https://goo.gl/maps/BqSG6bocbr3WMf6M6

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2020, 08:11:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
checking komozawa today and maybe yume farm in China tomorrow. Anyone been to yume?
[close]
I've been wanting to hit up yume farm for some years now but it's just so far out in the sticks.
If you go, please post up here.

Expand Quote
There’s a good reason English teaching is looked down upon. It usually attracts a ton of weirdos and losers from America and Britain. No offense to any English teachers on here as there are obviously exceptions, but even non kook English teachers will usually tell you the same thing. If I bump into a westerner at a bar or something and he starts chatting me up cause he finds out I’m fluent in English, I usually ask what they do for work very quickly and if they say English teacher I avoid/ignore after that. Although I can usually tell initially. Kinda harsh but you meet so many people when you live in a city like this that I’m not willing to waste my time conversing or getting to know someone I know is likely to be another dipshit English teacher.
[close]
The truth.
The majority of westerners I meet are weebs. I ain't got time for that.
[close]

I actually don’t meet that many weebs and the ones I do are usually cringeWorthy but I’m pretty indifferent too. At least they have a reason they wanted to come here.

Most of the English teachers I run into and dislike are below average white dudes with little knowledge of japan who graduated college but don’t have the smarts/drive/balls to have gotten a non shit job after graduation. Didn’t build up enough of a social circle with close friends to make them reconsider moving halfway around the world to a place we’re they know no one and can’t converse with anyone. And generally have nothing going for them in life because they are not so dumb or socially awkward to be a freak but too dumb and/or socially awkward to actually make a life for themselves. It’s always that one dude you went to high school with who on paper is your average white guy, but has never made a close group of friends, has no apperent hobbies or cool shit that he’s really into besides maybe video games, never had a gf, and worked as a low level manager at the place he worked part time during college before fucking off to some Asian country. They come here because they have nothing to lose , anyone with any degree can get an English teaching job, high school English teacher in japan sounds cooler to people back home  than assistant manager at Home Depot, and they think Japanese chicks will be throwing themselves at them simply cause they’re white.

But back to skating. Think I’m finally going to Olympic park on Thursday. Can finally ride a mini ramp for the first time in years.

Howdy y'all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Wanted to bump this thread and see how things have been recently for everyone out there? I'm based in the Meguro/Ota Ward area and I never see anyone pushing around save for kids on snake boards and longboarders.

I've always been inclined to stick to the streets/random spots. I'm not really a fan of park skating, even more so since skating became an Olympic sport, and subsequently Tokyo bribed to get was awarded the 2020 2021 games, so that's reinforced my apprehension towards parks.

I've hit up the Meguro Riverside banks area, and been chased out a few times (there's a fairly big police station seriously close to it off Yamate Dori) so the cops can walk to that spot and get ramen either on the way there or back. I don't tend to session spots at all, but I'd like to find a spot where sessioning would be an option just to work on my consistency.

Anyhow, sorry for the long post.

TLDR: Any recommendations for the Meguro/Ota area?

Thanks in advance.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2020, 06:27:37 PM »

Thanks in advance.
I feel you, I'm not really into parks either.
Where about do you live? I used to live around Togoshi.

The sad truth about Tokyo is that practically everything is a bust, it's a crap shoot how long you can skate a spot.

Check out the Osaki station area. There's shit to skate around this whole complex:
https://goo.gl/maps/ComADrSWLoTMZ6dH9
I've never really explored the opposite side of the station (across Meguro river toward Shinagawa) but it looks promising.

Dunno what condition the ledges are here but I never had much of a kick out issue at this spot:
https://goo.gl/maps/wivp5u17QjJLSqnp9
There's also stuff around Shinagawa station but the bust factor is high.

This park is hassle free:
https://goo.gl/maps/VSH6XkqAWoDEzvhMA

Bank to curb under the Shinkansen tracks:
https://goo.gl/maps/9CSa7HTLtnYNXbTT6
If you go to street view you can actually see 2 dudes skating it haha

That's all I can really think of off the top of my head.
I hope these typhoons fuck off and I can get a dry weekend.

SaySo

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2020, 02:12:21 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks in advance.
[close]
I feel you, I'm not really into parks either.
Where about do you live? I used to live around Togoshi.

The sad truth about Tokyo is that practically everything is a bust, it's a crap shoot how long you can skate a spot.

Check out the Osaki station area. There's shit to skate around this whole complex:
https://goo.gl/maps/ComADrSWLoTMZ6dH9
I've never really explored the opposite side of the station (across Meguro river toward Shinagawa) but it looks promising.

Dunno what condition the ledges are here but I never had much of a kick out issue at this spot:
https://goo.gl/maps/wivp5u17QjJLSqnp9
There's also stuff around Shinagawa station but the bust factor is high.

This park is hassle free:
https://goo.gl/maps/VSH6XkqAWoDEzvhMA

Bank to curb under the Shinkansen tracks:
https://goo.gl/maps/9CSa7HTLtnYNXbTT6
If you go to street view you can actually see 2 dudes skating it haha

That's all I can really think of off the top of my head.
I hope these typhoons fuck off and I can get a dry weekend.

Thanks for the response, JT. I'm living near Okusawa, but I'm used to pushing around without any particular destination. Which has allowed me to find some dope spots, but I rarely take my phone with me so I don't mark/pin them, so I skate them once and never see them again.

That spot under the Shink tracks near Numabe looks promising, hopefully the ground isn't daikon oroshi, the wheels I'm riding at the moment have worn down to probably around 50mm.

Funny you mentioned Kiri no Funsui Hiroba. When was the last time you went through there? My homie and I were skating there probably about a year ago and we got the boot after 5 minutes. It was at night though, so that might have played a part in it. Probably 99.44% of the time I skate at night.

Anyhow, thanks again for the response. Will be sure to check out some of those spots if the weather holds. Though the forecast calls for sporadic rain again this weekend. FML.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2020, 02:51:44 AM »
That spot under the Shink tracks near Numabe looks promising, hopefully the ground isn't daikon oroshi, the wheels I'm riding at the moment have worn down to probably around 50mm.
The asphalt is pretty rough and pebbly but it's fun.

Funny you mentioned Kiri no Funsui Hiroba. When was the last time you went through there? My homie and I were skating there probably about a year ago and we got the boot after 5 minutes. It was at night though, so that might have played a part in it. Probably 99.44% of the time I skate at night.
I'm surprised to hear that.
I skated there at night and never had a problem but that was like 2 years when I used to live in that area.

SaySo

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2020, 03:23:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
I skated there at night and never had a problem but that was like 2 years when I used to live in that area.

Rough, eh? Any other, non-pandemic interrupted production year, that wouldn't be an issue. But so many skate shops are out of product. So getting a new set of wheels/trucks is more of a hassle. Will definitely have to go during the day.

Might have just been the luck of the draw, or near quota-filling time? Dunno.

Whereabouts are you living?

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2020, 06:14:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Rough, eh? Any other, non-pandemic interrupted production year, that wouldn't be an issue. But so many skate shops are out of product. So getting a new set of wheels/trucks is more of a hassle. Will definitely have to go during the day.

Yeah, I had a hell of a time finding bearings a few months back. I got stuck paying 7500 JPY for some dog shit flowgressive bearings. Uhg, I'm getting upset just typing this haha

I live in Shibuya but more up towards Yoyogi park, not down in the mess.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2020, 01:33:56 AM »
Man reading this thread has really got me craving some time in Japan. I've never lived there but have visited twice and loved it.
Cant imagine street skating would go down well given all the reasons people have mentioned. Gx1000s vid there have me really bad disrespectful vibes.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2020, 02:17:06 AM »
Gx1000s vid there have me really bad disrespectful vibes.
They actually fucked up a few spots.
But they got to look like bad asses in the footage so it's all good I guess.

@SaySo If the weather is alright this weekend we're gonna hit up Sumidagawa - Asakusa area.
It's literally the opposite end of Tokyo from where you live but you're welcome to join if you want.

SaySo

« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2020, 02:35:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Yeah, I had a hell of a time finding bearings a few months back. I got stuck paying 7500 JPY for some dog shit flowgressive bearings. Uhg, I'm getting upset just typing this haha

I live in Shibuya but more up towards Yoyogi park, not down in the mess.

@Jive Turkey

7,500 yen? Damn, that's like more than the price of Bones Swiss!

I was calling the shop weekly to try to get a deck. Took me over a month before I scored one that wasn't warped or a Reaper. Just starting to get back into a groove and working through my always extra long, frustrating break-in period for new decks.

Nice, that area is good. Lots of grub/hole-in-the-wall spots to eat. My favorite proper bakery in Japan, Levain, is in Tomigaya. If you haven't tried it, and you dig whole-grain bread, I highly suggest it.

I used to live in Umegaoka so I'd push from there to Shimokita, break for a conbini beer, then push on towards Sancha, Shibuya, or rarely Shinjuku. The patchwork/half-assed nature of road resurfacing can be super annoying though.

As for the weekend, thanks for the invite, but I can't make it. Definitely DM me for the next session though!

SaySo

« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2020, 02:48:07 AM »
Man reading this thread has really got me craving some time in Japan. I've never lived there but have visited twice and loved it.
Cant imagine street skating would go down well given all the reasons people have mentioned. Gx1000s vid there have me really bad disrespectful vibes.

All things considered, I haven't had much trouble when street skating. But I usually skate alone and almost never session one place longer than maybe one or two attempts, so I think cops are usually less likely to bug out. And, knock on wood, I've been able to talk my way out of getting into more trouble by playing on the sympathy of cops with respect to being a working man when refuting their claim of "why don't you just go to the skatepark?" Sure, parks are great if you don't work a job with somewhat regular hours...

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2020, 06:42:36 PM »
As for the weekend, thanks for the invite, but I can't make it. Definitely DM me for the next session though!
Sure, maybe next time.

BTW you got any spots you can share around here?

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2020, 07:30:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All things considered, I haven't had much trouble when street skating. But I usually skate alone and almost never session one place longer than maybe one or two attempts, so I think cops are usually less likely to bug out. And, knock on wood, I've been able to talk my way out of getting into more trouble by playing on the sympathy of cops with respect to being a working man when refuting their claim of "why don't you just go to the skatepark?" Sure, parks are great if you don't work a job with somewhat regular hours...

I guess I'm more thinking from the perspective of how busy and crowded Tokyo is. Skateboarding seems a little bit incompatible with a lot of other aspects of Japanese culture in that it is loud, damages property and is probably technically illegal.

I might be over thinking it but I've spent a lot of time in different parts of Asia and Japan isn't one place where skating felt like it would go down well compared to other countries where people are kinda stoked on it
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

SaySo

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2020, 10:12:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Sure, maybe next time.

@Jive Turkey

Whirred.

Around your neck of the woods, I used to hit this up when passing it by. Definitely not a session spot as it's surrounded by houses. Good flat to bank, but you have to catch it when it's sans cars.

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/〒155-0032+東京都世田谷区代沢5丁目5%E2%88%9211/@35.6557707,139.6663613,3a,60y,99.31h,79.85t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-zAYO5PnOm6hwVvWp7EJDA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x6018f368a4a078dd:0x9f2f7a90b07e3433!8m2!3d35.6557214!4d139.6665764

SaySo

« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2020, 10:15:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Sure, maybe next time.

@Jive Turkey

Just checked the street view, if it's a recent pic, it appears as if they demo'ed the parking lot and they're now constructing something else...

Lemme think a bit more. Like I said, I don't skate with my phone so I never pin spots. Have to work from memory. My bad!

SaySo

« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2020, 10:36:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I guess I'm more thinking from the perspective of how busy and crowded Tokyo is. Skateboarding seems a little bit incompatible with a lot of other aspects of Japanese culture in that it is loud, damages property and is probably technically illegal.

I might be over thinking it but I've spent a lot of time in different parts of Asia and Japan isn't one place where skating felt like it would go down well compared to other countries where people are kinda stoked on it

Yeah, it's dope you're being considerate about the reception of skating by the locals in respective countries. I think most folks, not just skaters, need to be more sensitive in general about the impressions we leave when we are guests in foreign lands. Don't want to assume where you're from, but as an American, I know we've been painted as loud, ugly tourists by many of the hosts where "we" have visited.

The image of skateboarding has been somewhat rehabilitated here since Tokyo was set to host the Olympics. There were even skateboarding commercials broadcast within the trains over the past couple of years. So it's not as fringe as it once was. Group/kids classes held at parks, and now several generations of skaters having families of their own, etc. has made it much more acceptable and accessible to groups who might have not had any positive exposure to it.

You mentioned having come out here before, you should come again once this pandemic subsides and immigration unclenches!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2020, 11:17:04 PM »
@Jive Turkey why on earth didn’t you buy ninja bearings? Their Abel 7s are like half that price and are actually really good quality

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2020, 11:41:21 PM »
Because there was literally no product anywhere... that was point of that whole back and forth.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2020, 03:07:40 AM »
Hmmmm, I guess I’m lucky I don’t have a local and just mail order (stockpile) proddy?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2020, 08:15:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, it's dope you're being considerate about the reception of skating by the locals in respective countries. I think most folks, not just skaters, need to be more sensitive in general about the impressions we leave when we are guests in foreign lands. Don't want to assume where you're from, but as an American, I know we've been painted as loud, ugly tourists by many of the hosts where "we" have visited.

The image of skateboarding has been somewhat rehabilitated here since Tokyo was set to host the Olympics. There were even skateboarding commercials broadcast within the trains over the past couple of years. So it's not as fringe as it once was. Group/kids classes held at parks, and now several generations of skaters having families of their own, etc. has made it much more acceptable and accessible to groups who might have not had any positive exposure to it.

You mentioned having come out here before, you should come again once this pandemic subsides and immigration unclenches!

I'm from Australia so we've got a similar rep for being loud and inconsiderate. I try not to be a dick and be mindful that in a lot of places, you may be someones first direct interaction with a foreigner/westerner.

I'm very keen to return to Japan once it's possible. Keen to do so record shopping and hit up some delicious curries
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2020, 07:41:19 PM »
This spot in Gotanda has hardly any people walking by, and you can usually session it for 30 minutes before being kicked out. It's just long ass ledges that go on and on.

I don't think anyone has really skated it aside from me, if anyone is interested DM me and I'll send you the location, don't really want to blow out the spot.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2020, 07:56:10 PM »
Damn, looks pretty nice! Mind PM'ing the location? I wanna check it out. Is it granite or some other kinda similar smooth stone?

SLAPASONIC

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2020, 08:00:02 PM »
Damn, looks pretty nice! Mind PM'ing the location? I wanna check it out. Is it granite or some other kinda similar smooth stone?

I'm not really sure but it's one of those polished stones that don't grind well unless you have wax on it, I suggest you bring some wax.

I'll pm you now.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2020, 08:06:42 PM »
nice, thanks!

SLAPASONIC

« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2020, 08:54:05 AM »
Walked by a new spot on the way to work today in Shibuya, some really nice untouched ledges that are skate-stopped but there were 2 sections that had no skate-stoppers.

It probably wont grind well without wax, and it is a big office, but a night-time/weekend sesh might be doable.

https://goo.gl/maps/PxGeRedPkeJdCkmj9

KyleG

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2021, 08:42:20 AM »
Hey all,

I'm going to be in Yokosuka for 3 months starting in November.

I was wondering what the current supply situation is right now for skateboard stuff, not trying to carry a board with me from the US.

What are some local brands I should check out that you can't get in the US?

Also, anyone have any experiences with New Years in Japan?

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2021, 11:58:33 AM »
Hey all,

I'm going to be in Yokosuka for 3 months starting in November.

I was wondering what the current supply situation is right now for skateboard stuff, not trying to carry a board with me from the US.

What are some local brands I should check out that you can't get in the US?

Also, anyone have any experiences with New Years in Japan?

hope some japanese people can help you better lately. but i do warn you deck prices in japan are much higher than the US and also higher than Europe. i think 1200yen is pretty normal.

obvious one but also available overseas is Evisen.
https://shop.evisenskateboards.com/
MxMxM (Magical Mosh Misfits), they seem to be the cheapest. but i dont like their graphics at all.
https://www.mxmxm-noise.com/
Sunny Skateboards, an all girls brand.
https://sunnyskate.thebase.in/
and i really like Goldschool. they do handshaped boards. but are really high priced.
https://goldschool-original.com/
also there is Possessed Shoes if you wanna try some japanese shoecompany.
https://www.possessedshoe.com/

not Japanese but hard to get in the US are Blast Skates from the UK that are available in several stores around the Yokohama, Tokyo and Ibaraki area. i know Fabric Skateshop in Yokohama carries them.

Yokosuka has a nice sea side skatepark called Umikaze. but can be pretty windy as the name suggest. its easy to find on google so you might know it already.
nearby in Yokohama city you have Shin yokohama skatepark. one of the biggest skateparks around the tokyo area. it is mostly covered by a bridge so its possible to skate when it rains. but seems they do sometimes close during heavy rainfall. maybe ask some locals about that. Japans scene is super friendly form my experience. youll have a blast.

sadly i know more about the Tokyo and Ibaraki area when it comes to parks, spots and skateshops so can't recomend you much to visit in your area. tho im sure youll visit tokyo.

guessing youre in the Navy by the area youre staying? have some friends that were stationed there too. hope you enjoy your time in japan.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2021, 06:11:31 PM »
New Years is like Christmas, a traditional holiday where families get together to eat and watch TV.  No parties.

The country closes down for about 3 days, it’s very quiet.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2021, 09:29:06 PM »
In addition to the above...

Ours is the local shop in Yokosuka. I'm pretty sure the owner (whose name I can't remember right now) can communicate in English. He took the Snack team around Japan like 5 years ago.
https://oursskateco.shop-pro.jp/

I only skated Yokosuka a few times but there are some spots around the Keikyu Yokosuka-chuo station area.
Both the skate park and shop are within pushing distance within that area.

Kugenuma also has a park on the sea and there are some good spots along the coastal highway there.

Decks alone will probably run you about $120 on average. Depending on what you get a complete can end up costing you 3 bills.
AFAIK Tatsumiya/RF Skate is been the cheapest place to buy brand name stuff in Japan.
https://r-fskate.com/
If you can't navigate online orders in Japanese your only choice is to go to the shop in Toritsudaigaku, Tokyo (cash only at the shop).

I have some friends that ride generic brand blank boards and swear by them ($30 I think).