Author Topic: How to get angle iron made for a DIY ledge  (Read 517 times)

GregHunts16mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
How to get angle iron made for a DIY ledge
« on: October 20, 2020, 02:07:26 PM »
I'm not sure who needs to hear this but, until this year I had always wanted to make DIY cinderblock ledges but never did because I could never figure out how to get the measurements for angle iron to line up with the exact length of however many cinderblocks I wanted to make the ledges out of.

Some people will say "just cut a bed frame" or whatever but I've never been very good with power tools and was never taught how to properly cut metal or anything so that approach never worked.

For some reason, I never considered the idea of checking with local metal shops to see if they could make custom metal but I got recommended that by a friend and it was so easy and cheap. So if you ever find yourself in a similar predicament, here is how to do it.

Call a local metal shop. Ask to see if they will make you custom-sized metal. Ask if they can make 2'x2'x1/8 pieces of angle iron and if they can just ask for it for the length you need (your average cinderblock is 16in long). It is mad cheap too. A 6ft piece is like $4 at my local shop.

I've built three different ledge spots this year and my local scene is benefiting from it. Hoping this information will help you and your scene as well.

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: How to get angle iron made for a DIY ledge
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 03:26:48 PM »
Is this a trick?

Telly

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 03:28:10 PM »
Also, nobody has ever told me to cut a bed frame.  I hope we can all see that wouldn’t work on a bed we are using...
It won’t.
That’s a great idea though.  Shouldn’t need to cut it too much.  Much shorter is too short, imo.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 05:18:10 PM »
Hey mate you’d be surprised how easy it is to cut through metal with a grinder and a metal cut off disc. Just YouTube it. You could even use a hacksaw if you wanted

Just use a file on the edge afterwards it will be sharp
listen to cosmic psychos

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 06:03:38 PM »
just call up a buddy who's in the iron workers union duh

Featherdale wildlife park

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 06:14:24 PM »
Also if you’re having trouble finding shoes that fit, they have different sizes. You can ask at the shop and they will let you try them on. You can try on multiple sizes and find the ones that fit. It’s quite a useful method. #lifehack

Telly

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 07:20:52 PM »
If you wonder why they are laughing when you enter, while you are there, and as you leave, it’s because you are a doofus.

Telly

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 07:23:07 PM »
How much would a foundry charge to make a casting so you could just mold it the length you want.  Would be much easier than cutting to length, and less likely to have sharp burrs.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1397
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 07:24:21 PM »
 Cutting through a bed frame that's been found on the side of the road or on craigslist, with a hand/hack saw, is pretty friction easy.
I recently rode past a spot where we threw a piece of bed frame angle up 15 years ago and it's still there
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 09:13:32 PM »
How to get internet installed in your home.

I was trying to figure out how the fuck to get internet in my home. I was telling a buddy about my problem but he always just tells me to cut the sides off a bed frame.

I was a little tired of trying to figure out how to get internet installed, so I looked up the internet service providers in my area, called the one that had the best service for the best price and they actually set everything up and actually DROVE OUT to my place and set it up and everything.

45/Mbps is only like $75/month.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 07:40:53 AM »
Hey mate you’d be surprised how easy it is to cut through metal with a grinder and a metal cut off disc. Just YouTube it. You could even use a hacksaw if you wanted

Just use a file on the edge afterwards it will be sharp

This is how we did this.

Home depot or ace will cut angle iron for you too.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

artskool

• Rep: 31
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 07:18:51 AM »
One neat trick is to pry the angle iron off the curb in front of my house and steal it. Thanks guys!