Author Topic: Finding Angle Iron for a box  (Read 3970 times)

Torre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -30
Finding Angle Iron for a box
« on: January 21, 2020, 07:40:28 AM »
Hey guys wondering if anyone knows what kind of angle iron is used on a box and where to get it?
It’s actually going to be used to add to my Freshpark box which I assembled but is missing the original angle iron.
Also where to get it?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1057
Re: Finding Angle Iron for a box
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 03:14:02 PM »
Home Depot has plenty. It’s at the end of the fastener aisle.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 03:20:34 PM »
Just use the Home Depot one. You can drill holes and then taper it so the screws sit flush. Built a great box just like that in just a couple hours with my dad back in the day. Use a grinder to smooth out the screws if you need. The metal will smooth itself out.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 11:36:47 PM »
I go to metal/scrap yards. There's places that sell "used" new metal for cheap, they'll charge by the pound.
Mild steel is fine but will rust. Stainless costs more and doesn't really rust.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 06:43:38 AM »
Home Depot has plenty. It’s at the end of the fastener aisle.

I’ve never seen anything longer than 6’ at my local HD and their stuff can be thin too. Ok if you are using JB Weld but hard to countersink.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1472
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 08:10:10 AM »
Depending on the length you need, you could get away with bed frames from salvation army/goodwill for cheaper. Just use a hacksaw and go to town. I've made a bunch of boxes using them. Just make sure you look at how thick the metal is on the frame. Older bed frames used to use thicker metal.

satan

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 09:40:25 PM »
Depending on the length you need, you could get away with bed frames from salvation army/goodwill for cheaper. Just use a hacksaw and go to town. I've made a bunch of boxes using them. Just make sure you look at how thick the metal is on the frame. Older bed frames used to use thicker metal.
Actually a great idea. Might be able to find em for free on craigslist or similar sites.

Forget to mention the stainless is tough to cut/drill. You'll be bummed if you're using a hacksaw.

Liquid nails or similar adhesive works to hold it down, that's what ppl use for brink ledges. Shoe goo would probably work too.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 09:21:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Actually a great idea. Might be able to find em for free on craigslist or similar sites.

Forget to mention the stainless is tough to cut/drill. You'll be bummed if you're using a hacksaw.

Liquid nails or similar adhesive works to hold it down, that's what ppl use for brink ledges. Shoe goo would probably work too.
Nah, just need the right hacksaw blade specifically for cutting steel. I've cut down rebar in the parking lot with a hacksaw pretty quickly with mine.

satan

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 11:35:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Nah, just need the right hacksaw blade specifically for cutting steel. I've cut down rebar in the parking lot with a hacksaw pretty quickly with mine.
Rebar should be mild steel and easier to cut. But def need a saw blade made for cutting steel, it'll have smaller teeth and better metal than a blade for wood.
I was actually looking at a parking block last night and wondered what the security guard would say it he saw me hacksaw at it. The rebar sticks up about 1/2".. He's already told me it's ok to skate there. I should just do it.

And I meant to say brick ledges above

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 05:27:57 PM »

I looked at this thread yesterday at work and got the urge to build my first ever box/bench. I went to Home Depot this morning and built it within about an hour and a half. Cutting the Masonite was the hardest part because it kept gunking up my saw. I also liquid nailed angled steel. It’s all they had and I figure it’ll break in with a little effort. It’s a foot high by eleven inches wide by four feet long. It’ll fit in the back of my smaller sized car perfectly

Next up I’m going to build a wallie end-cap with angle iron on it. Ledge 2.0 is going to be done with granite tiles and a granite tiled wallie  end-cap once I can source them in person
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 05:32:42 PM by tom »
fuck you bama

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 05:33:14 PM »

I looked at this thread yesterday at work and got the urge to build my first ever box/bench. I went to Home Depot this morning and built it within about an hour and a half. Cutting the Masonite was the hardest part because it kept gunking up my saw. I also liquid nailed angled steel. It’s all they had and I figure it’ll break in with a little effort. It’s a foot high by eleven inches wide by four feet long. It’ll fit in the back of my smaller sized car perfectly

Next up I’m going to build a wallie end-cap with angle iron on it. Ledge 2.0 is going to be done with granite tiles and a granite tiled wallie  end-cap once I can source them in person

Awesome!
I should get off my arse and do this.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 06:48:04 PM »
I’m a little upset that the middle upright supports don’t fully line up with the top. It should be flush, but it was slightly off. It’s still prototype #1 though. Now I have to source the granite tiles around Los Angeles for #2. Ideally they’d be thin enough so one person can lift the bench by themselves, but thick enough that it doesn’t crack when your truck hits it. I’m thinking half an inch should do it. I live around some of the best skateparks in the world, but they get insanely crowded. Sometimes all you need is an empty parking lot or basketball court
fuck you bama

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 08:01:27 AM »
Nice box, but Karl Watson wishes you would B&D instead. Also, all my tools are corded and I have extension cords on spools so I'm jealous but not by much.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2020, 04:42:55 AM »
When I made my box last winter I was going to do angle iron but ending up going to a metal store and picking a piece to put on the side

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -322
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2020, 06:18:34 AM »

I made my box out of pallets  3/4" particle board then topped it off with 1/4" smoother plywood when it came to angle irons I drilled countersunk my anchor points of contact, it wasn't the greatest but it works.

I would recommend the countersink just so your wheel and baseplate doesn't get hungup on the screws.
Dueces Bitch's

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 07:30:57 AM »
When I countersink, I don't have a countersink bit so I just use the bit that is the size of the screw head and be careful.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 05:26:17 PM »

Dang only 4 feet long? I built mine 6 ft and I think it's short as fuck

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 06:28:06 PM »
Think Home Depot only sells 6-8ft. If you want longer find a metal yard near you. It’s typically a lot cheaper there too but you usually gotta buy 20’ min

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 07:33:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have a smaller sized car and it fits in my backseat. I skated it for the first time today and it was an interesting session. I didn’t like it as it is now. It seems pretty short for 50-50’s; once you’re on you have to pop off instantly. I might lower it a few inches to make it not seem so weird. The liquid nails didn’t settle on one side so I’ll have to try again tonight and begrudgingly countersink some screws in
fuck you bama

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1057
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 08:57:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I have a smaller sized car and it fits in my backseat. I skated it for the first time today and it was an interesting session. I didn’t like it as it is now. It seems pretty short for 50-50’s; once you’re on you have to pop off instantly. I might lower it a few inches to make it not seem so weird. The liquid nails didn’t settle on one side so I’ll have to try again tonight and begrudgingly countersink some screws in

I had 2 boxes like this and would clamp them together for a session. I had a VW Golf and would put the backseats down. If I was building a box today I would use bolts to connect the box instead of clamps because the clamps would move.

Maybe you can fit 2 of these in your baskseat?

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 09:33:40 PM »
It’s totally possible if I lower the one then I can double stack them in the backseat. I have a hatchback and the seat rests on the front seats when I lower them. The box would jam up into the roof, so 4 feet is kind of the max in any configuration I try and get it in my car.  I’ll just cut the next one 1/8th or 1/4 short and extend the steel that distance to make up for whatever air gap exists when I try to bolt them together. As of now I have a long weekend coming up this week so maybe Friday I’ll get to make the second one
fuck you bama

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 09:57:38 PM »
To anyone that's never built a box before, I highly recommend it. It's a project you can do in a couple hours and 8ft is perfect. I really wish I didn't let everyone have my rails and shit when I stopped skating.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 09:30:50 AM »
Built a few in the day and some comments to add:

1) use liquid nails with screws.
2) don't be lazy by using nails
3) countersunk screws that affix the angle iron to the box, the ledge at my park has screws sticking out and it's taken chunks out of my boards
4) use L-shaped brackets on the edges to keep the wood from splitting. I've had numerous boxes split apart at the edges that could have been avoid with little quality of life improvements like these

I used to drive a hatchback and wish I had thought to make 2 shorter ledges and bolt them together. Thrashed the hell out of that old car, would have been great to use it transporting ledges.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

larasmith

• Rep: 0
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2020, 07:45:37 AM »
Older bed frames used to use thicker metal. I will share more info with you very soon...

hot take

• Rep: -57
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2020, 07:20:45 AM »
You could always dumpster dive at construction sites. You wouldn’t believe what you find in those dumpsters.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2020, 09:42:45 AM »
You could always dumpster dive at construction sites. You wouldn’t believe what you find in those dumpsters.
Lots of tetanus?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 600
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2020, 09:44:45 AM »
Isn't Masonite the worst idea for the top ?

You will go through sooner or later

hot take

• Rep: -57
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2020, 10:51:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Lots of tetanus?
Yeah totally. But I meant scrap material. The brand new material they picked up from Home Depot or Lowe’s and just throw away.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1207
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2020, 07:46:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Lots of tetanus?
[close]
Yeah totally. But I meant scrap material. The brand new material they picked up from Home Depot or Lowe’s and just throw away.

Back in my day the only thing you could find in a dumpster was two bums fucking while covered in urine and filth.  Simpler times.  :)
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2020, 02:00:03 PM »
anyone have thoughts on that trex decking material? i have some extra boards laying around. like the cheaper-off brand of that from home depot. composite, for the top? it'll slide