Author Topic: New Emerica video coming.  (Read 22411 times)

Ghost Lurker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 17
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: New Emerica video coming.
« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2020, 07:01:51 AM »
What time does the video go up?

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2020, 07:09:40 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere in this thread, but please don't even upload Zach Allen's footage.

I hope there are a lot of lines. I'm kind of unimpressed by single tricks on obscure rail and bump-to-bar spots. Just skate where you skate, and do what comes naturally. That's the best skateboarding in my opinion.
[close]
Well it looks like you won't be disappointed then.

They literally just released a short documentary about one bump-to-bar trick.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2020, 07:13:14 AM »
Thought the video was unsurprisingly very mediocre. Jon Miner has seemed to lost complete touch, and is no longer capable of making a video with any sort of re-watchability. Emerica may as well have taken a chance on a complete unknown to edit it as opposed to pay a premium for Miner. Some solid skateboarding but ultimately very forgettable.

What was up with the THIS IS Emerica & THIS IS SKATEBOARDING. titles on Jon Dickson's last trick? Looked completely amateurish.

CurbyPuckit

• Rep: -39
« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2020, 07:15:17 AM »
Thought the video was unsurprisingly very mediocre. Jon Miner has seemed to lost complete touch, and is no longer capable of making a video with any sort of re-watchability. Emerica may as well have taken a chance on a complete unknown to edit it as opposed to pay a premium for Miner. Some solid skateboarding but ultimately very forgettable.

What was up with the THIS IS Emerica & THIS IS SKATEBOARDING. titles on Jon Dickson's last trick? Looked completely amateurish.

I agree and thought the same thing.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #184 on: February 21, 2020, 08:05:43 AM »
I just can't imagine going that fast towards a bump to bar, especially for a backside 180. Dakota was going faster than some people do skating downhils
want to see how he got all that speed. insane

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2020, 08:12:23 AM »

It looks like Tim filmed most of the video and then they brought in Miner to edit so he didn't have complete control over the project the way he did for TIS and stay gold.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1293
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2020, 09:05:25 AM »
very mediocre ?

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2020, 09:07:56 AM »
I don’t get it. I mean, yea the skating is good, but the rocker shit was played out years ago. Wash your clothes.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2020, 09:53:08 AM »
Allen mobbing his kickflips all of the sudden is a pretty good troll. Kudos.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2020, 09:54:13 AM »
I don’t get it. I mean, yea the skating is good, but the rocker shit was played out years ago. Wash your clothes.

Maybe they just dress how they want despite what’s trending. Shot in the dark. Kalis didn’t get all hesh when hesh was “cool” let these dudes dress how they want and not worry about what “kit is cool”

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2020, 10:13:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Maybe they just dress how they want despite what’s trending. Shot in the dark. Kalis didn’t get all hesh when hesh was “cool” let these dudes dress how they want and not worry about what “kit is cool”

Wouldn't be Slap without more catty critiques of skaters' outfits than there are posters in any given thread. 

PincherBug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2020, 10:19:56 AM »

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2020, 10:35:06 AM »
dakota servold is so good
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

Skoldbergscones

• Rep: 3
« Reply #194 on: February 21, 2020, 10:47:34 AM »
Really impressed. That was great.

sus

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #195 on: February 21, 2020, 10:50:12 AM »

So buck. Y'all killed it with this one

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #196 on: February 21, 2020, 10:57:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Wouldn't be Slap without more catty critiques of skaters' outfits than there are posters in any given thread.
K, just stock up on this boring shit now. There's no way they'll be around much longer when their target audience is now like 45 people in Orange County and the under 30 earthless fans.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #197 on: February 21, 2020, 11:00:32 AM »
Dakota absolutely killed this part, congrats to him!
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Pavs323

• Rep: 13
« Reply #198 on: February 21, 2020, 11:13:48 AM »
Jon Dickson never disappoints. Great part yet again. Really liked Servolds part as well. The Provost clips in there were great too. I’m pretty happy with this video.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
« Reply #199 on: February 21, 2020, 12:42:47 PM »
I liked it,Dakota came through pretty hard and that ender needs to be appreciated.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #200 on: February 21, 2020, 01:23:18 PM »
That was so sick. A lot to digest so I’ll be rewatching

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #201 on: February 21, 2020, 02:13:15 PM »
Just watched it. I need to watch it again so. I also liked the deadline video  that accompanied it. Dakota killed it and Jon was amazing. After watching it I immediately thought emerica is just fine with out Reynolds and emerica is emerica with it with out him. Like they still have their identity. I’m into it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 02:15:36 PM by Murge »

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #202 on: February 21, 2020, 02:14:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
K, just stock up on this boring shit now. There's no way they'll be around much longer when their target audience is now like 45 people in Orange County and the under 30 earthless fans.

I totally get that part at least, and I honestly wonder how much of people's complaints would be resolved with better music.  Desert/stoner rock was a terrible musical trend and it is pretty much never, ever a good fit for skateboarding.  Fix that and maybe the brand's image is suddenly a bunch fresher than it used to be without making anyone change their clothes.

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #203 on: February 21, 2020, 04:04:38 PM »
hard flip melon and 180 impossible were very nice to what I would have imagined. Also that line with the kids running was pretty sick, never seen that before. I liked it a lot.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #204 on: February 21, 2020, 04:21:15 PM »
hard flip melon and 180 impossible were very nice to what I would have imagined. Also that line with the kids running was pretty sick, never seen that before. I liked it a lot.
shoutout EmericaTM for that angle

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #205 on: February 21, 2020, 04:30:38 PM »
Need to merge these threads.  Provost bump  impossible 180 thing looked real good I thought too.

Loady McGee

• Rep: 55
« Reply #206 on: February 22, 2020, 12:26:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Who caught the premier and wants to drop some spoilers?
[close]
was going to ask the same - anyone go to premiere?
[close]

Expand Quote
Weird prediction: I think the Duffman will have a (low impact) guest trick in this somewhere considering he's been skating a lot with Dakota and Dickson lately.
[close]

^This is true. Also met the Duffman at the premiere yesterday and talked to him briefly, definitely the nicest dude and is very shalom

I'll try and give a quick rundown without giving away too many details:

Dakota has first part
-skates fast as fuck and flies over shit
-front blunted through a knobbed rail
-mustache game strong

Team montage in the middle - mostly footage from Leo, Collin, Figgy, Spanky
-Provost does an impossible back 180 on a hip
-Winkowski airs through the branches of a tree
-Figgy pressure flip 5-0's a hubba
-Zach Allen falls onto a parked car

Dickson has last part
-opens part up with a fat switch flip down a big 5 flat 6
-does tricks on handrails that anyone else would easily sac the shit out of
-part is brute AF

Overall video was pretty heavy and did not disappoint, and i fully see why Jon Dickson is getting a shoe. Very well deserved.
I just hope to see even more emerica videos like this soon.

I also got to piss next to Blake Carpenter at Black so that was a plus

Just watched it. I'm glad I was right, but I was however a bit wrong in my prediction. To my surprise, the Duffman went pretty damn big with his trick (in contrast to all his other current day clips).

In general: I really enjoyed the vid. Dakota hasn't really been on my radar before but he definitely is now. I've been a fan of Dickson since the first time I saw him and he just grows and grows as a skater. Loved the Spanky clips sprinkled throughout the vid. Also liked the music and the editing by Miner. Great job by everyone involved.

I do not understand how this thread went from being more active before the vid was relased to pretty dead now that the vid is out.

Loady McGee

• Rep: 55
« Reply #207 on: February 22, 2020, 12:32:51 PM »

I don't think the video is to blame for you feeling that way though. Imagine if this vid was released on vhs and dvd in ca 2001-2006. It would've had a great rewatch value and become an instant classic. The problem is that we live in an age were we consume so much skate media on a daily basis with no time to digest it that basically everything becomes "mediocre" and loses its rewatch value the second we're done watching it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 05:26:28 AM by Loady McGee »

DrunkleJesse

• Rep: 1
« Reply #208 on: February 22, 2020, 04:00:29 PM »
I had fun with it, Jon brought the heat, as expected. Dudes a machine. Shout out to Dakota, too, I feel like he gets a little more interesting to watch with every part. For some reason, I really dig the way he seems to hammer his board down when he flips into a rail. Shit has weight to it. Always a sucker for Spanky clips. I thought the music/editing was fitting, too, kinda fits Jon and Dakota's no-nonsense, "show up, shut up, and throw down" type of skating.

Ghost Lurker

• Rep: 17
« Reply #209 on: February 22, 2020, 04:01:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It looks like Tim filmed most of the video and then they
brought in Miner to edit so he didn't have complete control over the project the way he did for TIS and stay gold.

Doubt it was planned with this thought in mind.

I see it more as, if it were a band, you’ve got Tim recording your songs as the engineer, then they brought in the famed producer, Miner, handling the final mix.

Logistically, if someone is the TM, they’re on the staff payroll, and wether you edited 1,2, 10, or 20 classic videos for a company, if you’re not on staff, then you probably get paid a flat rate for editing the project.

For a company that’s hustling to have all hands on deck to keep the ship afloat, it makes more sense to pay the TM their reg pay rate, to be getting texts at 7am to go get in the van, vs having to factor the flat rate plus expenses for a more famously known filmer editor.

As a fan of Emerica the brand and team, and Minor’s previous work, it’s just the cherry on top that he’s editing.

But with that said it wouldn’t make me like the video any less if Emerica TM had handled the editing.

Minor doesn’t look rough, he looks like he stayed
up all night a few nights in a row plowing
through some beers editing this video for us to enjoy.

The Fuzz song fits super good, I got tickets to see them in Chicago this Jan.

I think these dudes fully prove that Emerica is fully ripping in a post Andrew-era.

We didn’t end up getting a shop premiere,
but I jokingly said welcome to the Emerica
premiere and we watched it all day online.

I need to get Green and Made Chapter 2 on a DVD
that loops all day and just let that baby roll.

This is basically like a classic Zero/Toy Machine/Foundation/Emerica hammer style video, with that level of replay, and I can’t do hammers personally, but there’s way less ego involved with this kind of video. The dudes seem more like, I’m a skateboarder, not an internet computer phone celebrity.

That’s why I like this video, it’s classic, and relatable to my inner skate rat.

Here it is again if you don’t wanna scroll back:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 04:03:19 PM by Ghost Lurker »