Author Topic: Switch Backside  (Read 1203 times)

Lloyd Braun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
Switch Backside
« on: January 24, 2020, 05:11:56 AM »
Anyone got tips for switch backside? Mainly 50-50’s, 5-0’s and Nose grinds. I can do them but super uncomfortable and way too many tries. I have a decent switch frontside but other than crooks my switch backside is weak. A friend told me to sort of just look down and not at the ledge which works but kinda tough. It’s like trying a switch bs 50-50 I suddenly pop all weird and usually land in a feeble and 5-0s I usually just tink the end if I can do them at all. Anyone got any trick tips that would help me out aside from just working on them?

Clock3rs

• Rep: 2
Re: Switch Backside
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 08:16:29 AM »
Just do it

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 08:53:39 AM »
Copy and pasting my post from the basic ass tricks that piss you off thread:

Expand Quote
looking for advice on getting switch back 5050s...sw front 5050 is one of go to tricks but I have mental block with getting into backside...I just can't get the back foot to lock in.
[close]

Roll up at a decent angle, put your front foot slightly further down than you normally would. When you're rolling up and popping you can look at the ledge/the direction you're going and have your shoulders slightly open.

As soon as you pop, turn your shoulders backside so that they are parallel with the ledge, to help with this you can try to look at your back foot immediately after you pop. I find that helps me trick my body into closing off my shoulders better and it also helps line up the board with the ledge. This will be scary af at first because you'll feel really blind to everything but once you get used to it it starts to feel kinda natural.

Also make sure you pop a straight, if not slightly backside, ollie and don't subconsciously turn it frontside at all to get into willy/boardslide/feeble.

Practicing switch ollies parallel (or at a slight angle) backside up a curb can also help you get the feeling. Its tricky but if your only problem is getting one of your trucks to lock in you're pretty close and definitely got it once you get your shoulders working correctly and aim your trucks a little bit more.

I think a lot of switch tricks (50s, 5-0s, smiths) are easier to learn/get into frontside but once you figure out how to get into them backside its less awkward to hold onto and feels more natural to sit on. Not tailslides for me though, desperately need ssbsts help, can't commit and swing my body/board around whilst still keeping my weight on the tail, the only way I seem to be able to turn the full 90 comfortably is by rotating around the centre of my board as opposed to keeping my weight over the tail which works for lips but is super dangerous for tails.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 09:58:48 AM by tzhangdox »

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 10:11:50 AM »
slappies helped my backside ledge game come to life. doing the same thing switch at the moment and it's starting to make it happen too. helps build that confidence up to pop in to stuff.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 03:48:29 AM »
Copy and pasting my post from the basic ass tricks that piss you off thread:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
looking for advice on getting switch back 5050s...sw front 5050 is one of go to tricks but I have mental block with getting into backside...I just can't get the back foot to lock in.
[close]

Roll up at a decent angle, put your front foot slightly further down than you normally would. When you're rolling up and popping you can look at the ledge/the direction you're going and have your shoulders slightly open.

As soon as you pop, turn your shoulders backside so that they are parallel with the ledge, to help with this you can try to look at your back foot immediately after you pop. I find that helps me trick my body into closing off my shoulders better and it also helps line up the board with the ledge. This will be scary af at first because you'll feel really blind to everything but once you get used to it it starts to feel kinda natural.

Also make sure you pop a straight, if not slightly backside, ollie and don't subconsciously turn it frontside at all to get into willy/boardslide/feeble.

Practicing switch ollies parallel (or at a slight angle) backside up a curb can also help you get the feeling. Its tricky but if your only problem is getting one of your trucks to lock in you're pretty close and definitely got it once you get your shoulders working correctly and aim your trucks a little bit more.

I think a lot of switch tricks (50s, 5-0s, smiths) are easier to learn/get into frontside but once you figure out how to get into them backside its less awkward to hold onto and feels more natural to sit on. Not tailslides for me though, desperately need ssbsts help, can't commit and swing my body/board around whilst still keeping my weight on the tail, the only way I seem to be able to turn the full 90 comfortably is by rotating around the centre of my board as opposed to keeping my weight over the tail which works for lips but is super dangerous for tails.
[close]

Super helpful. I’ll give it a shot and report back.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 08:03:38 AM »
Just gotta finesse it and also learn how to fall going backside switch. It's pretty discombobulating at first which I'm sure turns a lot of people off to it quick.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 04:34:51 PM »
Shits impossible, but I've been told foot in the pocket and just think about getting your back foot ie. Popping foot on the ledge. 

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 07:16:50 PM »
What obstacles are you working on?

Brguy

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 03:04:03 AM »
I don't know but I liked your friends tip and will use it next session.

slippy

• Rep: 83
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 10:44:05 AM »
Almost feels shifty, if you're getting into the kind of half switch back feeble you're almost there.  Just focus on the little body turn and wham bam you're switch back 50ing
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 10:47:44 AM »
Almost feels shifty, if you're getting into the kind of half switch back feeble you're almost there.  Just focus on the little body turn and wham bam you're switch back 50ing

^ya I cannot emphasize how much immediately looking at my popping foot after I pop helps me get the last amount of turn from a switch back feebs to 5050