Author Topic: WKND's "Van Down" Video  (Read 4529 times)

music critic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: WKND's "Van Down" Video
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2021, 07:07:39 PM »
I obviously don’t know the full story, but from the way the video was edited it definitely looked like they intentionally torched that van for the footy.

Really bummed me out to see that dark black smoke and think of all of that bullshit (particulates, NOx, CO, VOCs) being released into the atmosphere that didn’t need to be, all for the sake of a cool interlude between parts.

I know this and the Johan thing are completely different, but if WKND is trying to position themselves as a forward thinking, proactive, ethically responsible company, the least they can do is not set a van on fire for hellride pointz.

yo, shut up.

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2021, 09:04:04 AM »
Max Wheeler is the future

doublesteveburger

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2021, 09:19:47 AM »
Expand Quote
I obviously don’t know the full story, but from the way the video was edited it definitely looked like they intentionally torched that van for the footy.

Really bummed me out to see that dark black smoke and think of all of that bullshit (particulates, NOx, CO, VOCs) being released into the atmosphere that didn’t need to be, all for the sake of a cool interlude between parts.

I know this and the Johan thing are completely different, but if WKND is trying to position themselves as a forward thinking, proactive, ethically responsible company, the least they can do is not set a van on fire for hellride pointz.
[close]

yo, shut up.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2021, 09:35:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yo, shut up.

Really liked the edit besides that, but that was the one thing that stuck with me after watching the video so thought I’d pen a nice long soppy post about it. Glad you enjoyed!

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2021, 05:53:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I feel like WKND is a less corny Frog and Enjoi with the same fun/friend vibes
[close]

Huh, I think Frog is way more likeable than WKND.
[close]
Uhhh what now? Damn, if it's not the opposite for me. Frog is so disorganized and elementary in their focus. WKND has a consistent cohesion in their team and graphics, even if it feels generic or "too LA" at times. Always likable, in my eyes, whereas Frog feels like children playing who haven't quite figured out how to run a skateboard brand. Not to mention their graphics are worse than most of Blind's 2010+ catalogs.

I have a hard time liking Frog, but the people on the team are pretty rad. I agree with the person above that they are more corny than WKND.

This is what makes me like frog.
They had a Nike collab and Chris is skating vans era in almost all his clips.

But I guess if u wanna buy a mike mcgill snake n skull board from George powell at old skull skateshop and be super serious about ur backside 5-0 with your man toy go 4 gold it’s all a fantasy

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2021, 06:30:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
WKND would be so good if they stopped copying others shit so blatantly
[close]

Who do you feel they’re copying?

While we’re at it can someone explain the appeal of Frog since I’m apparently alone in finding them extremely boring and just a slightly less bad version of Pizza
[close]

I don't really have an opinion on it either way but this is the thread where this was discussed: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=107692.0
[close]

I saw that thread and didn’t understand it then. Those decks don’t look like Quasis. Quasi didn’t start collage decks, partial paint/graphics, alt cartoon, or asymmetric graphic decks.

The real issue is that even what Quasi is doing isn’t unique to them. Their decks use design aesthetics that aren’t remotely new and their clothing design isn’t either. The issue is more that many skate graphics are horrible, just iterations on one another, recycled, or all of the above and skate clothing has never been all that different from lots of street wear or generic mall brands.

When we talk about “new” or something “unique” to a brand it’s a pretty insular take on where this shit comes from.
[close]

I mean this has a happened on more than one occasion, so I'd be inclined to think that something miiight be going on. But who can be sure?

- but apparently this wasn't a big enough video and there's was 'better' so it was cool. Note: @childhood posted a pretty similar idea in a wknd/Tom K thread before this too. So maybe it's a pretty natural idea?

I'd think that too if they hadn't already completely ripped someone off before with this:

(looks like wknd have scrubbed there's from YouTube but you can see reading here how similar they were:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=89609.0

Anyway I'm just gonna leave these here, along with.. (once again) the fact that Grant and ALL those dude knew about Johan's STD spreading as they specifically joked about it in their now scrubbed from YouTube video, 'The Roast of Johan Stuckey'. And they covered their asses by deleting it and acting like they had no idea. Are WKND really that great that people just fully look over this shit? Didn't like half their team up and leave this year too?
[close]
[/b]

From what I remember of the roast they only joked about Johan having herpes? 🤔
Knowing your friend has herpes is completely different to knowing he lied to girls and willingly spread it.
[close]

Nah they also made a joke saying “Johan is like Santa Claus, every girl that sits on him gets something”(quote might not be verbatim, they scrubbed this video from their channel). They never addressed this even when it was brought up repeatedly by the girl who initially spoke out against him.

After that they publicly patted themselves on the back for speaking with Johan’s victims or whatever and doubled down on the claim that they were totally in the dark about his behavior. All this despite the girl’s claim that they had to know about this at least a year prior because a video premiere they had was canceled by the venue after she reached out to them with her story.

I know this is getting off topic at this point but fuck these guys

Thanks mate, knew I wasn't going crazy. Maybe it's just their superior product/output is so darn fantastic it's easily overlooked... I get the impression bringing this up in a WKND thread is like beating a dead horse and yet it only happened like 7 months ago. Surely Grant can't be so amazing that he gets a pass for handling this like an utter slime sack when there's people in the industry being called out for way less? That's some Pizza quality slime they're serving up at over at WKND, even half the team knew it and bounced.