Author Topic: How do you remove skate stoppers and revitalize spots?  (Read 4866 times)

Allez_Jambon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
How do you remove skate stoppers and revitalize spots?
« on: January 27, 2020, 05:11:34 PM »
I live right near J Kwon and used to hit Ramone Cortines after work. Recently they smashed the bondo at J Kwon and knobbed the curbs at Ramon Cortines.

Today I purchased a crowbar skinny enough to slip under tighter surfaces (hopefully) and long enough to get torque (I think it's the right word) to pry off the skate stopper. Sure, it's just a curb spot, but a beloved curb spot.

I'm imagining that I'll need to hammer the crowbar to slide underneath the skate stopper to get deep enough to lift up. I'm not 100% sure, but when my friends liberated the ledges at the Everson Museum of Art in Syracuse, NY (long bars going across the full width of the planter), piled woodchips onto the skatestoppers and lit them on fire to soften the metal first. Does that sound right? I think I'll then have to bondo, sand down, paint (to make it blend in instead of being a rubber like color), and clear coat the surface. As I type this out, I'm realizing it sounds a bit overboard.

Funny, RDS sells a crowbar. It looks thin so I think I'm good with the one I have. Anything I'm not realizing?
https://www.longboarderlabs.com/product/rds-skate-stopper-removal-tool/

What's the legality? I'll go when nobody will likely be around.

Also, I saw that ScumCo sells a set of the lesser common screwdriver bits. I'm pretty sure I already own those weird triangle, star, and Y shaped bits when I needed to work on my computer. I remember some skate stoppers have screw areas, but I don't know what I particularly, need. Do I need chisel too?

I saw John Hill had a video, but vloggers talk too much and don't really get to the point so I'll just skip it. I see other weird forums like reddit or skate-city or something talk too, but I assume they're kind of dorks so won't really bother with that either. I've searched Slap too, and if I've missed a thread, my bad. Just link it and delete this thread.

-----

*Edit to add the input of others. Shit. Looks like a more difficult plan than first thought*

Here's what I have so far.

- Crowbar: Pry off the skatestopper
- Screwdriver set: Different bits for commonly used tamper-proof hardware.
- Hammer/Mallet: Hit to wedge the crowbar under the skate stopper
- Traffic Cones: Keep people away
- Traffic Vest: Sorta blend in, may look stupid.

Here's what I may need.

- Bondo / SteelStik / Fastcrete: Fill back in the holes from bolts
- Clear coat: Make slide/grindable
- Paint: Cosmetic repair
- Chisel: Initial wedge under the skate stopper

Tools I wasn't planning on getting

- Sawzall: Remove the screws that can't be pulled out
- Angle Grinder: Smooth out the bits of the screws that remain
- Blowtorch: Soften the metal or glue

Other Considerations.

- Park in front to block the view? Unsure if smart or not.

Thanks and Shalom.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 09:32:07 PM by Allez_Jambon »

satan

• Rep: 38
Re: How do you remove skate stoppers and revitalize spots?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 07:57:50 PM »
https://www.harborfreight.com cheap tools

Probably need torx bits. Look similar to an Allen key but a star pattern.
Tamper-proof needs a slightly different bit..

Get a ratchet or cordless impact driver
MAP gas torch to melt the glue
BFH, Big Fucking Hammer, to hit the crowbar with. Mallet, deadblow, etc

It's called leverage but technically you'd be torquing the skate-stopper

Use fast-set concrete instead of bondo

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 12:11:33 PM »
I want to ride with moses, sluggo, and john candy. I want dual citizenship. I guess I was questioning the cut out in the center, but I think it's for nails. But yes, if you want superior quality, ask for RDS by name.

Stopped by Ramon Cortines last night around 7 pm on the way home. Skate stoppers look like this:

Unfortunately, nothing to lock a screwdriver in and it'll be a tight squeeze to fit underneath. Probably need a mallet instead of a regular hammer to wedge the crowbar underneath.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 12:36:08 PM »
I want to ride with moses, sluggo, and john candy. I want dual citizenship. I guess I was questioning the cut out in the center, but I think it's for nails. But yes, if you want superior quality, ask for RDS by name.

Stopped by Ramon Cortines last night around 7 pm on the way home. Skate stoppers look like this:

Unfortunately, nothing to lock a screwdriver in and it'll be a tight squeeze to fit underneath. Probably need a mallet instead of a regular hammer to wedge the crowbar underneath.

looks like you will be fine with a chisel and a hammer, but that propaply demolishes the ledge a bit. you have a chance to get a battery drill? I would try to drill holes into these two bolts.
IG: @flowterspace

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 03:03:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

looks like you will be fine with a chisel and a hammer, but that propaply demolishes the ledge a bit. you have a chance to get a battery drill? I would try to drill holes into these two bolts.

Yeah, you are either going to need to drill out the bolts, or at least use an angle grinder to cut off the head of it. Otherwise, if the resistance from the bolt/head interacting with the bent metal stopper exists, you might pull up some concrete.

Tread lightly, tread quickly, work at night, and possibly do it over the course of a couple visits. Shalom.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 12:37:27 AM »
I live right near J Kwon and used to hit Ramone Cortines after work. Recently they smashed the bondo at J Kwon and knobbed the curbs at Ramon Cortines.

Today I purchased a crowbar skinny enough to slip under tighter surfaces (hopefully) and long enough to get torque (I think it's the right word) to pry off the skate stopper. Sure, it's just a curb spot, but a beloved curb spot.

I'm imagining that I'll need to hammer the crowbar to slide underneath the skate stopper to get deep enough to lift up. I'm not 100% sure, but when my friends liberated the ledges at the Everson Museum of Art in Syracuse, NY (long bars going across the full width of the planter), piled woodchips onto the skatestoppers and lit them on fire to soften the metal first. Does that sound right? I think I'll then have to bondo, sand down, paint (to make it blend in instead of being a rubber like color), and clear coat the surface. As I type this out, I'm realizing it sounds a bit overboard.

Funny, RDS sells a crowbar. It looks thin so I think I'm good with the one I have. Anything I'm not realizing?
https://www.longboarderlabs.com/product/rds-skate-stopper-removal-tool/

What's the legality? I'll go when nobody will likely be around.

Also, I saw that ScumCo sells a set of the lesser common screwdriver bits. I'm pretty sure I already own those weird triangle, star, and Y shaped bits when I needed to work on my computer. I remember some skate stoppers have screw areas, but I don't know what I particularly, need. Do I need chisel too?

I saw John Hill had a video, but vloggers talk too much and don't really get to the point so I'll just skip it. I see other weird forums like reddit or skate-city or something talk too, but I assume they're kind of dorks so won't really bother with that either. I've searched Slap too, and if I've missed a thread, my bad. Just link it and delete this thread.

-----

Here's what I have so far.

- Crowbar
- Screwdriver set
- Hammer
- Traffic Cones
- Traffic Vest

Here's what I may need.

- Blowtorch
- Bondo
- Clear coat
- Paint?
- Chisel

Thanks and Shalom.
   Yah id say if ur under 18 go for it.   Personally id just hit up the skatepark.  It would be sick tho to bust out of the jailhouse with ur blowtorches and shit.  Hardcore!
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 06:48:05 PM »
For those knobs a reciprocating saw with a metal blade might do the trick. Depending if that works well, you could use an angle grinder to smooth out the bits of the screws the saswzall doesn’t get. For repairing holes go to any hardware store and buy steel stick by JB weld. Super easy to apply sets quick and hardens up nice. Bondo is good for cracks in roll up but not ideal for something that’s going to get grinded.

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 09:31:09 AM »
For those knobs a reciprocating saw with a metal blade might do the trick. Depending if that works well, you could use an angle grinder to smooth out the bits of the screws the saswzall doesn’t get. For repairing holes go to any hardware store and buy steel stick by JB weld. Super easy to apply sets quick and hardens up nice. Bondo is good for cracks in roll up but not ideal for something that’s going to get grinded.

Let me preface this by saying that this is just my opinion and I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I did demo and junk removal for years and was a junkie thief for years before that.

I would forego the Sawzall entirely if you have an angle grinder. A grinder with a cut-off wheel is going to be superior to a Sawzall the vast majority of the time when it comes to cutting metal, especially hardened steel which is what the stoppers here are. Wheels are cheaper, can attack from a variety of angles, and most importantly they're faster. They also have the advantage of being able to grind down sharp points and level shit out too. Just make sure you wear gloves and glasses and use your grinder shields, I had a wheel explode in the middle of cutting a U lock off a bike and it scared the shit out of me.

Of course, the best approach is always going to be just drilling the screws out if you can. I have a FucOff and it's got a really impressive variety of bits. Scumco really did a great job with it. I would recommend taking a strong magnet to hold your bits though.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 07:24:06 PM »
I’ve had a fuccoff for years. I bought it as a “security bit set” from ebay for $4, but scumco still rules

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 01:35:50 PM »
Just a heads up about using a grinding or cutoff wheel.
Don't mix steel and aluminum on the same wheel. There's a chance that you could create thermite and that'll explode the disc when it goes off.

sn00p

• Rep: 25
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 06:02:05 AM »
I de-skate stopped a local flatbar spot last summer. I used the security bits on the ones I could. some of them were already stripped out though so I just used a hammer on the rest of them. just pry them up from the corner as best you can and then start wailing on it until they rip out. I’d say your best bet with those would just be the crowbar/hammer technique. bring someone with you as a lookout if possible. be aware of your surroundings but try not to constantly look around suspiciously. rip some out, take a break for a little, and come back for the rest if you need to.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2020, 08:30:11 AM »
Sweep the pebbles off the skate spot
Grinders to the skate stop
Love for the skate shop
Grubs for the plain cop

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -333
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 06:17:35 AM »
Always work in tandem when removing skate stoppers nothing looks worse then what cops call burglary tools.  If anything those pesky heavy duty stoppers you've got to finesse them shits out or else they leave big chunks when forced out.
Dueces Bitch's

biaherl

• Rep: 267
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2020, 09:32:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Can't talk. gotta poo but you get the drift