Author Topic: "Last Resort AB" Pontus Alv on making skate shoes  (Read 55099 times)

TD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: "Last Resort AB" Pontus Alv on making (skate?) shoes
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2020, 02:38:48 PM »
I just want it to take fucking Golden Goose down. For all I know those guys are a fraud and they're tackling the exact same market. Would be satisfying to see Pontus win this.

People actually fell for the golden goose bullshit? I thought that was the most obvious ploy of the last decade.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2020, 04:23:46 PM »
The orange and midnight blue are pretty fresh.  $200 isn’t outrageous if they’re truly well made out of premium materials.  They’re obviously not trying to cater to dudes who’ve been skating Etnies Maranas, and they’re not stupid because they will def sell.

Since these are older models from 3320 and are coming out with a skate shoe soon, I'm assuming theyre about to start catering to dudes who skate.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2020, 04:49:54 PM »
Why are so many people upset about this company being created? First of all, it has been mentioned several times that a 100$ shoe will be released, which isn't outrageous by any means if it's a quality shoe made in Europe. Anyone who has been buying dunks or other 100$ skate shoes lately will probably back me up when I say that you sure as fuck aren't getting what you pay for quality wise - that leather and suede is fucking trash.

This company looks to be marketed towards dudes in their late 20's++, who skate or are into skating and that are willing to pay extra for fair working conditions, sustainability responsibility and quality materials. Maybe they're not for going through 3 pairs a month - maybe they're for using everyday and cruising the streets and skating a little after work, that's how my old ass uses shoes now so this surely caught my interest.

Can't wait to see how this unfolds, I haven't had a skate focused shoe with nice materials since that first run of HUF shoes came out. Damn that suede was butter.

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2020, 04:51:49 PM »
The orange and midnight blue are pretty fresh.  $200 isn’t outrageous if they’re truly well made out of premium materials.  They’re obviously not trying to cater to dudes who’ve been skating Etnies Maranas, and they’re not stupid because they will def sell.

The fully lined cow leather is definitely fresh I’ll say that, but like personally it looks too basic to warrant that money regardless of the material. If I’m spending good money on shoes outside of boots and dress shoes then I want them to be fucking out there to a degree. No one wants something that basic looking for $200, I’m sorry. Why do you think a lot of dunks do so good, and they aren’t even close to that expensive before resale. I’m not even talking about skating.

If we are talking about skating, Vans wins J Scott handsdown, and it’s not even fucking close, like not even fucking close. There Vulc sole is the best bar none although it kills your feet to barge a city day long and skate impact, and their new tech for cupsole is definitely as good as anything on the market, plus if you go to their outlets you can buy a shitload for cheap af, and I don’t know about u guys but I fucking destroy skate shoes quick af. So why spend like $100 plus on some dunks or adidas, when you can snag like 3 pairs of quality ass vans for the same price. Not saying I don’t own adidas and Nike skate shoes for fashion, but I don’t skate in them shits. Now if you’re gettin them for free that’s a whole other story, but I’m just sayin for those who pay for there shoes it’s a no brainer imo.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2020, 05:16:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The fully lined cow leather is definitely fresh I’ll say that, but like personally it looks too basic to warrant that money regardless of the material. If I’m spending good money on shoes outside of boots and dress shoes then I want them to be fucking out there to a degree. No one wants something that basic looking for $200, I’m sorry. Why do you think a lot of dunks do so good, and they aren’t even close to that expensive before resale. I’m not even talking about skating.

Are you sure? I guess that's why companies like Common Projects, Eytys, Axel Arigato, Diemme, Buscemi, Filippa K, Human Scales, Acne, AMI Paris, Our Legacy, APC etc etc. all have kept basic silhouettes like that in the 200-400$ range that keep selling in Europe.

Maybe it's just a European thing but clean products with an intriguing story and quality materials sell really well here. Good thing they're based where they are.

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2020, 05:30:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Are you sure? I guess that's why companies like Common Projects, Eytys, Axel Arigato, Diemme, Buscemi, Filippa K, Human Scales, Acne, AMI Paris, Our Legacy, APC etc etc. all have kept basic silhouettes like that in the 200-400$ range that keep selling in Europe.

Maybe it's just a European thing but clean products with an intriguing story and quality materials sell really well here. Good thing they're based where they are.

I mean I’m not too familiar with European or Asian sneaker culture so I definitely cannot comment on that whatsoever without looking like a dipshit. But if you came to the states and were buying sneakers at say a high end reseller like holy grail, flight club or stadium goods or wherever the fuck you generally see that it’s by and large Nikes, Jordan’s, and adidas/yeezys. There’s definitely some exceptions with some rare converse, vans, revenge(such trash), NB, Puma, etc. but for the most part unless you are talking about like retro Jordan 1s, Air Maxs, AF1s with simple clean colors, for the most part that’s just not the case in the states if we are talking about medium to high end sneaker fashion, in other words spending over like $130 for a pair of shoes.

“Big Money
Big Cars

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2020, 05:38:37 PM »
Expand Quote
I just want it to take fucking Golden Goose down. For all I know those guys are a fraud and they're tackling the exact same market. Would be satisfying to see Pontus win this.
[close]

People actually fell for the golden goose bullshit? I thought that was the most obvious ploy of the last decade.

All I know is that shit is still around and some people will buy used ones for quite the price, so they must be doing alright.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2020, 05:54:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I mean I’m not too familiar with European or Asian sneaker culture so I definitely cannot comment on that whatsoever without looking like a dipshit. But if you came to the states and were buying sneakers at say a high end reseller like holy grail, flight club or stadium goods or wherever the fuck you generally see that it’s by and large Nikes, Jordan’s, and adidas/yeezys. There’s definitely some exceptions with some rare converse, vans, revenge(such trash), NB, Puma, etc. but for the most part unless you are talking about like retro Jordan 1s, Air Maxs, AF1s with simple clean colors, for the most part that’s just not the case in the states if we are talking about medium to high end sneaker fashion, in other words spending over like $130 for a pair of shoes.

I'm well aware, I hate the term "sneaker head" but I guess you could say that's what I am as well. That's kind of the whole point though, sometimes it's just nice to have a good quality sneaker. The Jordan 1's are a great example - how bad is the leather quality of a 170$ retail J1 now? It's laughable, it's easily comparable to a 70$ shoe you get from a random "menswear brand" but that's not why we buy them, is it? There's something else to it. There's a story to the shoes and an identity that come with each model. The shoes themselves are not high quality shoes at all.

Sometimes it's just nice to slip into some small brand quality shit that wasn't sewn by some 12 year old kid and that just feel super nice on your feet. As I get older, I get more hyped on all that stuff and the importance of being a smart consumer (caring about ethics, sustainability, supporting the economy and diversity of smaller brands).

Don't get me wrong, I'll still swear when I don't get those new beginnings j's later this month but I've been cutting down a lot and focusing on other stuff and I'm guessing that's the demographic they're aiming for. 

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2020, 06:03:04 PM »
THESE ARE STILL NOT THE SKATE SHOES GODDAMNIT, THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2020, 06:06:39 PM »
I back these in white. Interested to see the skate shoes.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2020, 07:24:56 PM »
Yeah, they're like a Dunk Lite / Volley.  Bordering on looking like a budget kmart kinda shoe, but made well.  I kinda love em and think they stink.  What a world.

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2020, 07:53:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm well aware, I hate the term "sneaker head" but I guess you could say that's what I am as well. That's kind of the whole point though, sometimes it's just nice to have a good quality sneaker. The Jordan 1's are a great example - how bad is the leather quality of a 170$ retail J1 now? It's laughable, it's easily comparable to a 70$ shoe you get from a random "menswear brand" but that's not why we buy them, is it? There's something else to it. There's a story to the shoes and an identity that come with each model. The shoes themselves are not high quality shoes at all.

Sometimes it's just nice to slip into some small brand quality shit that wasn't sewn by some 12 year old kid and that just feel super nice on your feet. As I get older, I get more hyped on all that stuff and the importance of being a smart consumer (caring about ethics, sustainability, supporting the economy and diversity of smaller brands).

Don't get me wrong, I'll still swear when I don't get those new beginnings j's later this month but I've been cutting down a lot and focusing on other stuff and I'm guessing that's the demographic they're aiming for.

I don’t like the term sneaker head either. I think sneaker collector is much better. I totally agree that the narrative of the shoe is almost as important as the shoe, which is why I enjoy picking certain shoes. My favorite pair of sneakers I have are the Lebron what the 16s purely because if you know Lebron’s shoes it contains everything he ever did unique in one shoe. The asymmetry, all his different logos, the cheetah print, the sole to his first shoe in the one, etc. much like how I feel about the Jordan 20s or the what the dunks or even P-Rods most recent dunk that I’m fucking pissed I couldn’t snag. Personally The only two types of sneakers I rock are skateboarding sneakers and basketball sneakers. When it comes to skate shoes I prefer the vans collabs just for the narrative of the shoe, and adidas for just a simplistic nice design shoe, these would be my clean ones per se. I think Nike SB sucks ass for the most part except for the rare pair of blazers and dunks that I dig. I’m not a huge dunk fan, but some dunks are literally some of my favorite shoes of all time. I don’t care for Cons, never cared for any sole tech shoe, never cared for lakai, and pretty much any other skate shoe brand out there they had in yesteryear. I will say Gravis was incredible, and the oxblood Dylan’s are prolly the greatest skate shoe ever for appearance. The Dylan’s on HUF were fantastic as well even if they weren’t as good as the Gravis versions.

Also if you get your hands on those new beginnings that would be insane G.

“Big Money
Big Cars

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 111
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2020, 07:55:41 PM »
So the brand was called 3-3-20 for two years and now they are a skate shoe company called Last Resort AB starting on 3-3-20? Is that coincidence or what? What was Pontus' connection to the company previously? It's supposedly skater owned now so does that mean the old company was as well or did Pontus take over? What the hell does the AB stand for? I have so many questions.

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2020, 09:21:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I don’t like the term sneaker head either. I think sneaker collector is much better. I totally agree that the narrative of the shoe is almost as important as the shoe, which is why I enjoy picking certain shoes. My favorite pair of sneakers I have are the Lebron what the 16s purely because if you know Lebron’s shoes it contains everything he ever did unique in one shoe. The asymmetry, all his different logos, the cheetah print, the sole to his first shoe in the one, etc. much like how I feel about the Jordan 20s or the what the dunks or even P-Rods most recent dunk that I’m fucking pissed I couldn’t snag. Personally The only two types of sneakers I rock are skateboarding sneakers and basketball sneakers. When it comes to skate shoes I prefer the vans collabs just for the narrative of the shoe, and adidas for just a simplistic nice design shoe, these would be my clean ones per se. I think Nike SB sucks ass for the most part except for the rare pair of blazers and dunks that I dig. I’m not a huge dunk fan, but some dunks are literally some of my favorite shoes of all time. I don’t care for Cons, never cared for any sole tech shoe, never cared for lakai, and pretty much any other skate shoe brand out there they had in yesteryear. I will say Gravis was incredible, and the oxblood Dylan’s are prolly the greatest skate shoe ever for appearance. The Dylan’s on HUF were fantastic as well even if they weren’t as good as the Gravis versions.

while I completely agree with you, reading this just felt like overhearing a conversation at a skateshop on a dunk release day / pre-release raffle day lmao

flat shapes is blasphemy

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2020, 02:38:50 AM »
So the brand was called 3-3-20 for two years and now they are a skate shoe company called Last Resort AB starting on 3-3-20? Is that coincidence or what? What was Pontus' connection to the company previously? It's supposedly skater owned now so does that mean the old company was as well or did Pontus take over? What the hell does the AB stand for? I have so many questions.

AB = Aktiebolag = corporation, stock corporation, limited company.

Steyv Seynystyr hyhy

• Rep: -3
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2020, 02:40:37 AM »
AB is "aktiebolag" in Swedish. So in english, kind of like "corporation" or "LLC".

The guys running this are old skaters trying to create the next Axel Arigato, Common Projects- type of premium sneaker brand it seems like. You americans would be amazed at how much people spend on non Nike/Adidas- sneakers here in Scandinavia. Look at the prices of Acne or Eytys sneakers for example.

It will be interesting to see what the "skate-shoe" will look like and retail for, if the price is comparable to a regular skate shoe and it's made in Europe I will gladly buy them shits.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2020, 03:56:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

All I know is that shit is still around and some people will buy used ones for quite the price, so they must be doing alright.

which is hilarious considering that they look used when you pull them out of the box
good come sausage

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2020, 04:16:08 AM »
maybe Puleo could solve this numerological mystery for us, some one PM him the facts like a man

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2020, 04:19:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

which is hilarious considering that they look used when you pull them out of the box

Yeah I was thinking that too. Another reason for resellers to lower their standards and mark their prices up, if anything. "Condition: better than new".

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2020, 04:24:36 AM »
I wonder if HRS sold any $200 loafers after their initial run.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2020, 04:36:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

TEXT

[close]

TEXT
[close]

TEXT
[close]

TEXT
[close]

Weird since messageboards are made for arguing (ha) but I agree with pretty much all of this, although I'm not as deeply rooted in basketball since it wasn't that big in Europe growing up... I appreciate it now though.

Gravis is a great example of what I hope this company can be product wise but with even nicer materials, they were really solid. I still have a pair of those Oxblood Dylans new in a box, I could never make myself use them... Weren't they 120$ retail? I had a bunch of suede ones that felt so good and the leather on the oxbloods is so nice too, definitely worth the higher price tag just like I hope these Last Resort kicks to be.

As far as the design goes, I think maybe I like them more because the first time I saw the white ones I imagined Scott Johnston doing a frontside tailslide with no socks in a pair and that feeling kinda stuck.

cockrabbit

• Rep: -29
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2020, 06:15:44 AM »
Fuck dude i hope this kicks off skater owned shoe companies coming back

TheAmericanAntique

• Rep: 9
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2020, 06:38:28 AM »
In the new shoe section, Pontus responded to a slap pal and said there will be a skate shoe for under 100.00 on release day. All the stuff previously isn't for skating.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2020, 07:17:24 AM »
In the new shoe section, Pontus responded to a slap pal and said there will be a skate shoe for under 100.00 on release day. All the stuff previously isn't for skating.

Screengrab of pontus story with that info was posted on page 1 of this thread,  he replies to this thread using monkeys palsquestions instagram handle slap_pals.

Also, the 'stuff previously' was designed by a skater, using classic skate (able) silhouettes and features (laceprotection), with a product description that calls for 'creative reinterpretation'. To me that sounds like skating was atleast present in the creative/thought process.

Only thing that makes the revious ones 'not a skate shoe' is the price, we can't tell anything about quality yet

Overall; nice try but weak post
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 07:19:56 AM by behavioralguide »

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2020, 08:10:02 AM »
Sorry I dint eat yet

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2020, 10:52:46 AM »
Why are so many people upset about this company being created? First of all, it has been mentioned several times that a 100$ shoe will be released, which isn't outrageous by any means if it's a quality shoe made in Europe. Anyone who has been buying dunks or other 100$ skate shoes lately will probably back me up when I say that you sure as fuck aren't getting what you pay for quality wise - that leather and suede is fucking trash.

This company looks to be marketed towards dudes in their late 20's++, who skate or are into skating and that are willing to pay extra for fair working conditions, sustainability responsibility and quality materials. Maybe they're not for going through 3 pairs a month - maybe they're for using everyday and cruising the streets and skating a little after work, that's how my old ass uses shoes now so this surely caught my interest.

Can't wait to see how this unfolds, I haven't had a skate focused shoe with nice materials since that first run of HUF shoes came out. Damn that suede was butter.

Fucking thank you. Jesus. I was losing my mind reading some of the hate/‘just buy a $40 Reebok’.
I would absolutely like to pay a bit more, for something that’s created in a kinder environment, and is (hopefully) better made.

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 156
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2020, 11:38:24 AM »

Sami who started it is an OG sthlm skater. Rode for Vans back in the days, probably something more but that is what I remember. Sweden is kinda small, and all the older heads from Malmö, Gothenburg, and Stockholm basically all know each other or have meet each other on many occasions.

And comparing this to Jordans etc, is really missing the point. As pointed out, In Europe the clean high.end silhouettes sell really well. Mind that shoes in general is more expensive here as well. I just bought a par of Veja V10´s for 150$, and that is a large upscale company. I Used to buy Acne sneakers, around 210$, before they reaised the price to 300. This is a one man operation basically, small scale shoes made in Portugal with pretty exclusive materials. Ive been itching to see them live and probably buy a pair to support. That was before Pontus jumping on though.

• Rep: 31
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2020, 12:14:17 PM »
Not for your average Slap head in Dickies and Half Cabs but I can see the market for this. I know a dude who has all the Common Projects in all the colors and those are like $400, I think.

I'd rather buy Wallabees, some Gazelles to chill in, a pair of skate shoes, and a deck but whatever. Can't knock the hustle.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2020, 12:55:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sami who started it is an OG sthlm skater. Rode for Vans back in the days, probably something more but that is what I remember. Sweden is kinda small, and all the older heads from Malmö, Gothenburg, and Stockholm basically all know each other or have meet each other on many occasions.

And comparing this to Jordans etc, is really missing the point. As pointed out, In Europe the clean high.end silhouettes sell really well. Mind that shoes in general is more expensive here as well. I just bought a par of Veja V10´s for 150$, and that is a large upscale company. I Used to buy Acne sneakers, around 210$, before they reaised the price to 300. This is a one man operation basically, small scale shoes made in Portugal with pretty exclusive materials. Ive been itching to see them live and probably buy a pair to support. That was before Pontus jumping on though.

Would that decrease the hype for you? I saw someone being bummed on Pontus earlier in this thread - did I miss something? Does Slap not love him anymore? What did he do?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2020, 01:21:46 PM »
Not for your average Slap head in Dickies and Half Cabs but I can see the market for this. I know a dude who has all the Common Projects in all the colors and those are like $400, I think.

I'd rather buy Wallabees, some Gazelles to chill in, a pair of skate shoes, and a deck but whatever. Can't knock the hustle.

I mean wallabees are the best. But....not great for skating.